Going to ports with copies of passports

Vianky

So we have decided to get passports for my whole family for our first cruise in July.

The main reason is of fear (I'm pretty sure this will not happen but better safe then sorry) getting left behind. Or just for any reason that would make us fly back home from a port. Who knows.

Now what I don't understand is that some of you just take a copy of this to the ports with you. Is a copy enough if you get into one of those situations?

Some of us fear having our passports lost, stolen or mutilated more than we fear being left behind.

You need your passport to re-enter the USA. If you do not have it when you return you will have some explaining to do. You will certainly be allowed back into the country but it may be too late to catch your flight, that means more explaining to do.

Some of us fear having our passports lost, stolen or mutilated more than we fear being left behind.

You need your passport to re-enter the USA. If you do not have it when you return you will have some explaining to do. You will certainly be allowed back into the country but it may be too late to catch your flight, that means more explaining to do.

All you need is a picture ID in the ports ... dont you'all have a drivers license, or are you just as worried about losing it?

We have always just taken our passports. We keep them with our drivers' licenses and credit cards. So we are not worried about 1 being stolen more than the other. I have had a passport since I was 16 and have always used it to travel outside of the United States. (cruise or not). So too have my children.

Let me see if I understand this:

My Passport is my only official internationally recognized and accepted form of identification when visiting a foreign country.

However, due to fear of it be lost, stolen or mutilated,,I'm going to enter a foreign country without it and leave it on the ship. Instead, I'm going to take my state issued drivers license and my ship board S&S card with me. Neither of these items officially ID me, neither of these will allow me to leave the country and neither of these will ever get lost, stolen, or mutilated. ONLY MY PASSPORT can get lost, stolen or mutilated :eek:

OK,,,I think I understand now.

Let me see if I understand this:

My Passport is my only official internationally recognized and accepted form of identification when visiting a foreign country.

However, due to fear of it be lost, stolen or mutilated,,I'm going to enter a foreign country without it and leave it on the ship. Instead, I'm going to take my state issued drivers license and my ship board S&S card with me. Neither of these items officially ID me, neither of these will allow me to leave the country and neither of these will ever get lost, stolen, or mutilated. ONLY MY PASSPORT can get lost, stolen or mutilated :eek:

OK,,,I think I understand now.

The ship says you need a picture ID, thats all you need to get back on the ship. I dont bring my passport because I will get back on the ship. Thats all I need it for.

I guess we are all different. I brought my passport once in my backback and a bottle of water leaked on it, so now I bring my waterproof drivers license which the port guys look at and wave me thru.

You only need your passport if you are getting air lifted home.

You only need your passport if you are getting air lifted home.

OR

1. You miss the ship

2. You rent a car and get into a traffic accident

3. You beat up your cab driver for charging you too much.

4. You get hurt and have to go to the local hospital

5. etc

6. etc

OR

1. You miss the ship

2. You rent a car and get into a traffic accident

3. You beat up your cab driver for charging you too much.

4. You get hurt and have to go to the local hospital

5. etc

6. etc

What will you do when you take a cruise wherein the ship takes your passport for the duration of the cruise?

Will you stay on the ship and not go ashore even tho the ship tells you that all you need is your sign and sail card and a landing card (issued by the ship)?

Would you miss seeing the sights in Istanbul or Athens because you couldn't take your passport with you?

These are real life scenarios, not just imaginary possibilities.

I guess I just didnt understand.

See, the only reason we are getting the passports are for those what if's that we might need them that an ID and BC would not be enough for.

From what I understood one of those what if's are getting left behind, getting hurt in a port and having to fly out etc. Thats the reason WE will be getting it for and was trying to figure out that even if we got them and left them on the ship to keep them safe, could we still fly out with just the copy?

If the case is that we can not fly out with just an ID or a copy then we will bring them to the ports. For me the peace of mind of not having to deal with extra problems if one of those what if's situations happen is worth more then something happening to the passport. Its $100 and I can just get another if it gets lost when I get home.

Im doing everything I should to avoid those situations (booking excursions with the ship and what not)

What I want to know is if I can fly out with just the copy? If not then I will bring it.

I used to bring our passports with us on the islands, but I was always so nervous about it getting stolen or lost. As far as I was aware, there is a higher value on american passports to people trying to get to america than just a driver's license. So I was always nervous having it with me in ports. I have also had my passport since I was 16, and lived overseas 2 years when I turned 18 so i'm not travel ignorant, but EVERY time I flew I was nervous about losing it. so if you don't have this anxiety, don't worry about it. my anxiety is probably a little more than needed. :rolleyes:

However, THEN I read someone's story on these boards who took a COPY of the passport to port, and they DID miss the ship, and though it was more of a hassle, they were able to get back. I'm sure if you searched long enough you could find it, it would have been either on this board or RCCL board. Now, if you really want to be 100% sure I wouldn't rely on anything you read here, contact a government agency who will give you the real deal safest bet. but for ME it was just a matter of peace of mind, that I don't have to worry about my passport getting lost, and the copy would be enough to have all of my official info on it that they could verify if needed.

To me, the chance of losing my passport seemed greater than the risk of something crazy happening and me missing the ship, since we seem to be on the ship far earlier than needed anyway. Because IF you lose the passport in port, you won't have trouble getting on the ship again, but you will most definately have trouble getting through US customs. Either way you will get home eventually I'm sure (otherwise we WOULD here about poor cruise critic members being stranded on foreign islands forever). It's just what scenario seems more of a risk and more of a hassle to you.

Good luck in your decision and hope you enjoy your cruise! :)

Now what I don't understand is that some of you just take a copy of this to the ports with you. Is a copy enough if you get into one of those situations?
Nope, if you are in a situation where you need a passport, the copy won't 'work the same'.

...and was trying to figure out that even if we got them and left them on the ship to keep them safe, could we still fly out with just the copy?...If the case is that we can not fly out with just an ID or a copy then we will bring them to the ports....What I want to know is if I can fly out with just the copy? If not then I will bring it.
Bring it. ;)

I read on these boards that if you miss the ship, Carnival will do what they can to find your passport in your room (even in the safe) and deliver it to the port master before they leave your butt behind. That seems reasonable to me. I'll make sure I take the capers with me on shore so that I have the number to the port master so I can alert them if anything is going wrong and I know I'll be late and/or miss the ship. I'm notorious for losing stuff and it's WAY riskier for me to have the passport with me. Besides, all of our excursions are scheduled to get back to the ship 2-4 hours before departure, so I think we're safe.

We never step off the ship in a foreign port without our passports. A lot of people operate differently, but when it comes down to it a copy does you no good at all. If something happened and you miss the ship, you'd still have to get to the closest American consulate and cool your heels for a day or two to get a temporary passport before flying home or onward to meet the ship.

So what do you do for young kids? The only photo id my three year old will have is her passport.

Do children have to show photo ID to get back on the boat also?

No. WE had to show our Id and our kids (as long as they were with us) only had to show their S&S Cards.

So what do you do for young kids? The only photo id my three year old will have is her passport.

Do children have to show photo ID to get back on the boat also?

Children under 16 do not need photo ID to cruise or to go ashore.

"A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over."

Link

I personally would be uncomfortable taking kids ashore with no picture ID at all. If the only picture ID they had was a passport I would bring them. But it isn't a requirement, just a precaution.

For those who bring the passport but leave it on the ship, Why do you bring the passport at all? why not just come with the BC and DL and leave the passport at home?

Are there other reasons we would need the passport other then having to fly out from a port? Would there be any circumstance that I would need it JUST on the ship since this is where some of you leave the passport?

I'm trying to figure out all of the scenarios that could happen and what I would need and not need my passport for. First cruise and this is our first time getting a passport so we are just new to this all.

Thanks,

Vianca

What I want to know is if I can fly out with just the copy? If not then I will bring it.

No. You will not be able to just show up at the airport to fly with only a copy of your passport. You will need the real thing.

With only a copy, you will have to find the closest embassy or consulate, present them with all documentation you have. They will then do their job and then a couple of days later (maybe) you'll receive documentation clearing you to fly out.

On the advice of a relative who works in an embassy, we always take our passports with us. (We leave the copies in the safe in our cabin) We have a passport carrier that holds all our passports. (Our TA gave it to us on our firt cruise) Never once thought someone was going to steal the bag.

Of course it could happen, but having the copy of the passport helps at the embassy to speed the re issue. We also keep a couple of passport photos witht the copies. Again, helps speeed the re issue of a passport at the embassy. (Happened to my son in Europe. He and friend lost their passports on a HS trip. Copy of the passport and the extra photos made the day an adventure rather than an awful experience! :eek:)

If an emergancy occurs.....the copy will not help you re enter the US. That's why we never leave home with out the real things.

Have a great cruise!

Why for all those exotic stamps you get from the foreign places you visit silly. :D

Hehe oh and btw, how can I get our stamps if we take them with us? Ive heard that if you want them to get the stamps you need to leave them with this person on ship and he/she will get them but what if we take them?

Archived