Family of 4 in 1 cabin - thoughts?

CruiseDad-NYC

I've taken my wife and kids (ages 5 and 7) on 3 cruises, and each time we've booked 2 interconnecting balcony cabins. I'm thinking of being a bit fiscally irresponsible and trying to squeeze in an extra vacation this spring on the Solstice, but to justify the expense would just get 1 balcony cabin for the 4 of us.

Has anyone else done this with children? My kids are pretty well-behaved, but my 7 year old is a very early riser (no matter how late he goes to bed) and my 5 year old is a late riser. I'm willing to give it a try if it means getting away again. But, I'm curious to hear how people felt who traveled like this (e.g., did you feel on top of each other? etc.).

We just got off the RCCL IOS and overheard a woman in the elevator who was traveling with her husband and 2 boys (6 and 9) and said she got off in San Juan to go the drug store to buy ear plugs, because she and her husband were having trouble sleeping with the kids in the room . . . .

Thanks in advance!

Why don't you try it tonight, or this weekend, at home. Get some sleeping bags or airbeds for the kids. If you've never done this before then you ought to try it at least once. If that does not sound like fun then why would you think you'd enjoy it more on a week long cruise?

Personally, I'd rather have a couple inside rooms than one balcony room. I know that would still cost more but....

OTOH, we took a few vacations with the kids in the same room back in the days when they were the age of your kids and we always enjoyed the vacations.

We're putting a family of 3 into an inside Summit cabin in July. A couple of tips from past hotel room stays with our 7 year old - Ipods with good headphones can help with early risers/night owls. Especially if you download some TV shows to watch. Also, we allow our son to keep his handheld video game on the table by his bed with headphones and the only time he gets to play it on vacation is between when he wakes up and we wake up. It's an incentive to lay there VERY quietly to get more playing time!

Our boys never did well sharing a bed together. We had to put a towel down the middle so the younger one didn't roll onto the older one's space. Also the younger one tossed and turned a lot so no one else wanted to share a bed with him either. Buck beds would have worked for them. It was worth it to us to get connecting rooms for this reason plus with 2 cabins you get 2 bathrooms. It also gave me (Mom) a little more privacy for changing etc. On the Star Princess we had our cabin stewart open the divider between the balconies and we could go from room to room via the balcony and we felt like we had a bigger balcony. (There was no door between the cabins). Last year we were on the Constellation and had connecting cabins but you couldn't open the divider between the balconies.

We have done this twice...Once when the kids were about the same as yours and the room was failry large family room with two twin beds and to upper berths that the steward folded down in the evening during turn down. Another time, we had two twins and a folding sofa and an upper berth above the folding sofa. At that time, the girls were older and the biggest issue was the single bathroom. Therafter, we booked two adjoining rooms and dared them to open their door during the night for anyone. Look for some of the rooms that have accommodations for 4. Have a great time either way.

We always get one room. 2 boys ages 14 and 11. I rest a little easier knowing that they are in the same room with us and I don't go on vacation to sleep away from my husband, either. So 2 rooms isn't really a consideration for us. Plus the greater expense. Can't beat the 3rd and 4th person rates.

The younger one sometimes wakes up a little before us, but he will usually just lay there and play his Nintendo DS with no sound. But most of the time, we are waking them up telling them they are going to sleep the day away. A quick opening of the curtains gets the job done!

Since they aren't sharing a bed, there are no problems with them goofing off, either. Although they do fight over who gets the top bunk (it is more comfortable than the top of the couch).

We don't feel on top of each other as we are hardly in our room all together except when we wake up, get ready for dinner, and go to bed.

I think you should try it. If you find you don't like it, then you will know. But for me, it's the only way we will cruise. This next time we will be in a Family Veranda. The extra space will be nice, but we don't have any complaints about the regular balcony rooms. Just thought we would try something different. Have you considered one of those? On the Solstice Class, they have 2 bedrooms and a living room. It would add a little more privacy if you're too worried about it.

We have only ever cruised with our kids in one room. We wanted a balcony and the only way was to have one room. We did week long cruises, and we loved it. Our kids were a little older. The four of us were fine. Mind you our son complained about my DH's snoring!! ipods, and lap tops with dvd's really helped, as did the balcony. If the kids wanted to chill with the tv, my DH and I would sit out on the balcony with books and drinks and enjoy watching the world go by. They are some of our favourite memories and made us all love cruising. They are both mad that this year we are sailing without them! This will be our first vacation in 19 years when we didn't have our children with us on vacation. Our DD is mosttttt annoyed! Anyways, I say go for it, there will come a time when you will be like us and look back and wonder where the years have gone. Build memories, they'll last a lifetime. Alcohol and a sense of humour will help too!!!

Do none of the rooms have bunk beds?

When I went on an NCL cruise way back in the day, we had 3 in a room, 1 set of bunk beds, and 1 normal.

Also, try and reserve a room with a sleeper sofa or sofa in it

Hi,:) the ships do have cabins with drop downs. Some cabins have 1 while others have 2.

Hi. We have always cruised with our kids in our cabin. Our first 2 cruises on Celebrity all 5 of us were in the same cabin and the past 2 cruises we have only had 2 of the kids with us but we were all together.

This year we are probably cruising together for the last time as we have a college grad, high school grad and sophomore in high school and it was THEIR vote to stay in a FOV cabin on Summit. We enjoy the time together although this year the "men" are opting to shower in the shower room in the health club!

The great thing about cruising is that there are LOTS of options that will suit every family.

Whatever you decide, have a great cruise!

I've taken my wife and kids (ages 5 and 7) on 3 cruises, and each time we've booked 2 interconnecting balcony cabins. I'm thinking of being a bit fiscally irresponsible and trying to squeeze in an extra vacation this spring on the Solstice, but to justify the expense would just get 1 balcony cabin for the 4 of us.

Has anyone else done this with children? My kids are pretty well-behaved, but my 7 year old is a very early riser (no matter how late he goes to bed) and my 5 year old is a late riser. I'm willing to give it a try if it means getting away again. But, I'm curious to hear how people felt who traveled like this (e.g., did you feel on top of each other? etc.).

We just got off the RCCL IOS and overheard a woman in the elevator who was traveling with her husband and 2 boys (6 and 9) and said she got off in San Juan to go the drug store to buy ear plugs, because she and her husband were having trouble sleeping with the kids in the room . . . .

Thanks in advance!

Well, you know your family better than we do. I suppose you could save on ear plugs by using duct tape on the kids mouths. :D

as anyone on this thread seen an"S" class cabin besides Larry and myself?/

the cabin is 194 sw feet but no storage space for 3 or 4 people. unless you like under the bed or over my head.. i got real tired standing on he bed daily for clothes. you also have one bathroom.. big but still...

i rather go for an inside or one large FOV cabin..

i felt the OP did want a normal balcony cabin.. that would give him a few extra feet. many have sofa beds... will your son want a bed from the ceiling.. at any age i would hate that.

i love the ship but think long and hard before you book.

Thanks in advance!

I would do it. We did it when they were younger, and it was cozy, and fun!

Yes, we have sailed the Solstice twice. Both times with the 4 of us. Both times in a balcony room.

the cabin is 194 sw feet but no storage space for 3 or 4 people. unless you like under the bed or over my head.. i got real tired standing on he bed daily for clothes. you also have one bathroom.. big but still...

Plenty of storage space. My husband and I used the over the bed storage (easily accessible and I'm 5'3") and hung up our dinner and formal clothes. The boys also put their dinner and formal clothes in the closet and they each had 2 drawers under the TV. Our dirty clothes went in a bag on the closet floor. The key to cruising is not to over pack.

i felt the OP did want a normal balcony cabin.. that would give him a few extra feet. many have sofa beds... will your son want a bed from the ceiling.. at any age i would hate that.

On the S Class, there are no "Sofa Beds" as one would normally think of. The 3rd person bed is actually the top of the couch. No folding out or anything. Just remove the 2 back cushions, throw an egg crate and sheets on top with a blanket, and presto! Your 3rd bed. The boys loved the pull down bed. They also have bunk beds at home. My nieces also enjoyed the pull down bed in their room with my Sister and Mother. Kids like that kind of stuff, I guess.

Don't sweat it. Any way you go will be great. Don't have any reservations at all. If it was so terrible, would we be going on the S Class for a third time? NO WAY!!!!! Happy Cruising. Trust me. Been there, done that, doing it again!

Hi Robin, sailing solo is much different than going with a family.

Maybe they are used to sharing a smaller space. I would not tell them

not to do it. I am sure they know their children and what would work.

Yes, I think plenty of us have seen S class cabins.

We all have our own limits. I go inside 90% of the time where I know

you sail AquaClass.

Different strokes for different folks.

To the Original Poster, I hope ya'll have a wonderful cruise.

We used to cruise this way all the time. It wasn't until our daughter reached her teen years that we booked sided by sides with connecting balconies. DH didn't like this as he said, we weren't together to hang out. It takes a lot of organization and planning in your room layout but it will work. Definitely bring an over the door shoe holder for all those extras to help with storage space. It's times like those that make memories. Your children won't remember whether you had one room or two but they will remember that you went together on a vacation.

Hi Robin, sailing solo is much different than going with a family.

Maybe they are used to sharing a smaller space. I would not tell them

not to do it. I am sure they know their children and what would work.

Lois-- i agree.. but they took out storage on the Equinox and at 5 feet spent a lot of time climbing onto that bed-- formal dresses could be folded- above the bed.. all gym clothes above the bed.. shoes and purses under the bed in the white bin.. all other drawers were full.. had room in the bathroom.. after all the drawers on the X Century i found storage lacking for one. now iget to check out the Millie.

Yes, I think plenty of us have seen S class cabins.

I know you have. .but not all posters have sailed the new ships. loved them but want storage.

We all have our own limits. I go inside 90% of the time where I know

you sail AquaClass.

that is strue but the cabin has the same storage and no sofa in the one i saw. so where is the bed??

Different strokes for different folks.

To the Original Poster, I hope ya'll have a wonderful cruise.

Lois-- have yopu gotten frost bite yet?? right now i am in WPB until late march.. cool compared to the heat of last year.. but i never know what to wear from day to day.

Robin, I sailed on Equinox and had a sofa in the cabin. I am guessing that is the extra bed.

I understand you didn't think there was enough storage (from trying to read your post).

I still say I would not tell the family not to book it. If they want to sail

an extra cruise then I am sure they will make it work (which is what

they said in the first post).

Lois

i saw an inside on Solstice and it had two chairs.. the same couple was on Equinox and again 2 chairs.. but they felt their cabin was bigger on the solstice. i thought all insides were the same.

i seen 3 people in a balcony cabin- adults but not 4.

i personally would want a little bigger. even if i am wrong- which i am alot- i still need storage.

the funny thing years ago i took all kinds of inside cabins -before balcony's- now i can not live with out them. i am out there a lot. but that is right for me.

PS

i am watching the mens skating tonight.. great skating..

I feel that the Solstice veranda cabins are really nice, but lack closet space and drawers. There is plenty of room for stuff in the bathroom though. There are rooms with sofa beds, but that leaves less floor space for 4 people when it is open. 2 upper berths would give you the most space.

We always travel in one room with our 2 DS's age 6 & 9, including 4 cruises. The kids were always fighting over who gets the upper bunk and it became a reward for best behaviour during the day. :)

One son is an early riser, as in DH, so the two of them would go off for their first breakfast :D or just go and explore the ship. If the OP and his wife don't share their childs sleep habits, then I like the idea of allowing some quiet video game time to fill the time. I would usually lay out their clothes the night before so as to reduce the fumbling in the dark looking for something to wear.

Having the balcony will certainly help with not having the feeling of being on top of each other. The balcony acts as a second room for someone to escape to when you need some alone time. Depending on the layout of the cabin, sometimes the pullman is left out all the time and we found that it was great as another space for someone to escape to. If there is a sofa bed that pulls out and takes up a lot of floor space, then it is usually put away during the daytime.

Of course, if you are used to travelling in two rooms, there will be a learning curve about sharing smaller quarters. It may help to have a chat about expectations, considerations for others and about learning to pack light.

We have finally learned to travel with two carry on bags each, including for the kids. Having smaller quarters and less luggage to deal with is a beautiful thing.

Oh, and throw in a couple sets of ear plugs just in case! :D

I say go for it! Have a great time on your second cruise within a season!

N.

We always cruise with our 2 kids DD8 and DS6 in our balcony cabin. I wouldnt even consider not doing so. They love the bed that comes down from the ceiling. And there is plenty of room. You absolutely want them in your cabin, imo.

I've done three adults and 1 child. No real problem with the people space, but just the clothing/storage space did feel a little cramped. If you travel light, or it's for a shorter cruise, it won't be much of an issue.

I think it really depends on your own attitude to things as to how you will find it.

If comes down to going or not going, do the 4 of you in a room. We do it most of the time. My kids are now 6 and 9 and we've been sharing a room since they were 2 yrs old. If the price is no different or we can get a good deal on a guarantee we have done two rooms but I wouldn't let havening to be all in one room keep you from cruising :D.

The four of us will be in our 172 sq ft oceanview room for our upcoming 11 night Mercury cruise. We'll make it work :) and have a great time!

Archived