Morning flight from Rome (FCO)

euro cruiser

I flew home to New York yesterday morning from Rome. I wondered if things had changed since the last time I left from FCO (March 2009); I read everyone's advice about getting to the airport three hours early, but in the past my experience at Rome has been that you can't even check in that much in advance for the first flights of the day to the U.S.

I took the local train from Trastevere and arrived at the airport station at 6:35 AM; I walked across the overpass and down to street level to wait for the shuttle bus to Terminal 5, the new high security terminal that all flights to the U.S. and Israel leave from.

The first shuttle bus (of the day) arrived at 6:50 and I was in the terminal at 6:55. I walked right up to the first (of two) check in points, where they check your passport against a flight manifest. From here I walked through to the next room, where you actually check in for your flight and leave your luggage. I was the second person checked in (although there were about six or eight people in line for economy class when I arrived) at 7:05 AM and only one employee was on duty. While I waited several others showed up, but were not yet ready to work. The line behind me grew.

After checking in, I went through to the next room for the security check. I was about tenth on line at this point and it was 7:15 AM. We waited until 7:30 AM before the security check point opened. Three lines opened at the same time, and the crowd that had grown to about 30 people got through relatively quickly.

After security I went quickly through passport control and exited into the waiting area for the buses that take you over to the pod where the departure gates are. The bus waited until nearly full; it was about 7:45 when we left for the gates.

This was for a flight that departed at 9:45 AM and began boarding at 9:00 AM.

I realize that this is the off season, so things are different in the summer when there are more (and earlier) flights. I would never encourage folks to show up at the airport less than two hours before an international flight, especially given all of the different check points along the way. My point is simply to suggest you bring along some patience, because there is a good chance you'll be standing around and waiting, at several points along the way. Many of my fellow passengers in line had clearly forgotten their patience and as a result started their day off in a bad mood.

One good difference, this time they were selling English language newspapers (both American and British) at the shops by the gates. Last year folks reported that there were none to be found.

Thanks so much for the heads up. We are going to stay at an airport hotel the night before we leave Rome - just to make things a bit easier. So, all US bound flights now leave from Terminal 5? The last time we left Rome our cab driver dropped us off at the wrong terminal (yet assured us it was the correct one for American Airlines). We'll be more prepared this time!

So, all US bound flights now leave from Terminal 5? The last time we left Rome our cab driver dropped us off at the wrong terminal (yet assured us it was the correct one for American Airlines). We'll be more prepared this time!

I talked with a mom and daughter as we waited for the shuttle bus to Terminal 5 who had this same experience yesterday. They were dropped off near Terminal 1 and had been wandering around the airport for 20 minutes before they discovered where they were supposed to be headed. The lesson learned from this is that you must tell the driver you want to be dropped at Terminal 5. Taxis can drive there, you just have to insist.

Thanks for the info. I called Air Canada this week and they said we should arrive about 3 hrs prior to departure. Yuck. Do you recall how long it took you to drive from the pier to the airport? I know it depends a little on what time you leave, so I would appreciate hearing from other cruisers as well since we plan to leave at 8:30.

We will be leaving from Rome airport ,but have one stop in Germany before our final destination in San Francisco.Would we be looking for the International Terminal that goes to the U.S. or the terminal that goes to Germany? Thanks to anyone who might know. Sara

Thanks so much for the heads up. We are going to stay at an airport hotel the night before we leave Rome - just to make things a bit easier. So, all US bound flights now leave from Terminal 5? The last time we left Rome our cab driver dropped us off at the wrong terminal (yet assured us it was the correct one for American Airlines). We'll be more prepared this time!

If you use a service such as RomeCabs, they'll take you exactly where they need to be at the airport. They care a lot about customer satisfaction and word of mouth.

We will be leaving from Rome airport ,but have one stop in Germany before our final destination in San Francisco.Would we be looking for the International Terminal that goes to the U.S. or the terminal that goes to Germany? Thanks to anyone who might know. Sara

We are doing the same thing. You will likely be departing out of Terminal 3 (if you are using Lufthansa) or possibly Terminals 1 or 2.

Are you flying Lufthansa? When we got our seat assignments from them, it says clearly not only what Terminal we are arriving at FCO in, but what Terminal our return to FRA departs out of.

In Europe, this in essence a domestic flight, not an international one.

we are lucky we have enough miles to fly Envoy and can sit in the lounge for hours we are planning on getting there three hours early rather than worry about not making the flight!

Envoy is US Air, isn't it? Have you checked to see if there is a lounge at FCO? There are only two that I am aware of in the departure area, AlItalia and one other.

We are doing the same thing. You will likely be departing out of Terminal 3 (if you are using Lufthansa) or possibly Terminals 1 or 2.

Are you flying Lufthansa? When we got our seat assignments from them, it says clearly not only what Terminal we are arriving at FCO in, but what Terminal our return to FRA departs out of.

In Europe, this in essence a domestic flight, not an international one.

When are you flying out of Rome we are on flt.lh 3841 April 27th to FRA then SFO.

When are you flying out of Rome we are on flt.lh 3841 April 27th to FRA then SFO.

We are not leaving until Sept 9. Same LH flight FCO to FRA. Then on to SFO on UA 901.

We bought this through UA. When we paid, LH sent us a separate itinerary listing Terminals we would be using. We arrive and depart out of Terminal 1 at FRA eastbound, fly into and out of Terminal 3 at FCO, and into, and out of Terminal 1 at FRA on the way home. Good info as we will be meeting people outside Terminal 3 in FCO, and going on to our cruise.

I just noticed you are just up the road! Howdy, neighbor!

I flew home to New York yesterday morning from Rome. I wondered if things had changed since the last time I left from FCO (March 2009); I read everyone's advice about getting to the airport three hours early, but in the past my experience at Rome has been that you can't even check in that much in advance for the first flights of the day to the U.S.

I took the local train from Trastevere and arrived at the airport station at 6:35 AM; I walked across the overpass and down to street level to wait for the shuttle bus to Terminal 5, the new high security terminal that all flights to the U.S. and Israel leave from.

The first shuttle bus (of the day) arrived at 6:50 and I was in the terminal at 6:55. I walked right up to the first (of two) check in points, where they check your passport against a flight manifest. From here I walked through to the next room, where you actually check in for your flight and leave your luggage. I was the second person checked in (although there were about six or eight people in line for economy class when I arrived) at 7:05 AM and only one employee was on duty. While I waited several others showed up, but were not yet ready to work. The line behind me grew.

After checking in, I went through to the next room for the security check. I was about tenth on line at this point and it was 7:15 AM. We waited until 7:30 AM before the security check point opened. Three lines opened at the same time, and the crowd that had grown to about 30 people got through relatively quickly.

After security I went quickly through passport control and exited into the waiting area for the buses that take you over to the pod where the departure gates are. The bus waited until nearly full; it was about 7:45 when we left for the gates.

This was for a flight that departed at 9:45 AM and began boarding at 9:00 AM.

I realize that this is the off season, so things are different in the summer when there are more (and earlier) flights. I would never encourage folks to show up at the airport less than two hours before an international flight, especially given all of the different check points along the way. My point is simply to suggest you bring along some patience, because there is a good chance you'll be standing around and waiting, at several points along the way. Many of my fellow passengers in line had clearly forgotten their patience and as a result started their day off in a bad mood.

One good difference, this time they were selling English language newspapers (both American and British) at the shops by the gates. Last year folks reported that there were none to be found.

Thanks for posting. That is a good update. I have heard things can be very busy there, and I would think it gets worse later in the day as more and more flights are leaving.

Archived