Quad Rooms

pcrum

We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 15 year old twins. We usually book 2 cabins, but are trying to save money this year and are thinking of booking a quad cabin for our summer crusie. For those who have done so, did you feel cramped? We don't spend lots of time in the cabins, but do sometimes come back for an afternoon nap. I'm thinking of a quad balcony so we would at least have that extra space. Any pros/cons from those who have done this would be most appreciated!

On a conquest class ship the OVs are 220 s.f. the standard balconys are 185 s.f. plus 35 s.f. balconys... its debatable if the balconys have extra space over other cabins to me or not, your first premise. Sounds like you just want a balcony.. so get one.

If you are in a quad with two uppers, you lose the walking around space if you push the two twins together, that is true.

All 3 of my previous cruises have been in a Quad with MY 15 year old twins and our 15 year old exchange students (3 different teens). Have had no problems. I always ask the steward to 'raise' the uppers during the day. Gives you the feeling of more room. Have had an inside, then balcony, then OV. The kids spend so little time in the cabin and SO much time at O2 that it is not a problem at all.

Taking all 3 next month on the Splendor again-loved it so much last Oct! But this time I found that the price for 2 inside cabins was less than $60 difference from the Quad! So the girls will be right next door. 2 bathrooms! Sometimes the 3rd and 4th person price is not that much different. It is worth checking anyway.

We have booked a quad for our October cruise.. Sofa and one upper. My girls are 13 and 16.....I'm hoping it's doable!

Remember that that SPA has showers available to help with scheduling and getting ready for those family dinners!

We are a family of 4, 2 adults and 15 year old twins. We usually book 2 cabins, but are trying to save money this year and are thinking of booking a quad cabin for our summer crusie. For those who have done so, did you feel cramped? We don't spend lots of time in the cabins, but do sometimes come back for an afternoon nap. I'm thinking of a quad balcony so we would at least have that extra space. Any pros/cons from those who have done this would be most appreciated!

My wife, and two adult kids always have a quad.. Like you, we don't spend a lot of time in the cabin. The only drawback for us is the logistics of bathroom time, especially when trying to get ready for dinner. Other than that, we find that we are comfortable with the amount of space.

On a conquest class ship the OVs are 220 s.f. the standard balconys are 185 s.f. plus 35 s.f. balconys... its debatable if the balconys have extra space over other cabins to me or not, your first premise. Sounds like you just want a balcony.. so get one.

If you are in a quad with two uppers, you lose the walking around space if you push the two twins together, that is true.

I did not realize the extra space in the OV rooms...we usually get balconies and I just assumed the outside space was a bonus. That's something to consider, thanks.

If you look at the spirit class ships, you can book a 4k room which is an obstructed OV cabin, with an interior price.

Also, rates are increasing for summer sailings according to info here and on the Carnival website.. so HURRY!

220 sq ft. It's me, my husband (who is a big body builder type) and our 2 sons....15 and 9. We do this configuration: 2 twins pushed into a king, and a couch and an upper above it. There is adequeate amount of room. Balcony rooms are much smaller living area.....b/c they just take the 35 sq ft from the 220, they don't add to it.

The newer ships have the OV cabins that are 220 sq ft. Splendor does...Destiny, Freedom, Valor, Liberty....those are the ones I know of off hand. I have a picture if you want to give me an email addy I'd be happy to email you OV pics

We have done a quad now 7 times. We have not really had a issue. As state

on the conquest type ships, etc that the OV are 220 and the balconies are

220 sqft, not sure if that includes the balcony.

But either way the bed 3 and 4 are the sofa and over the sofa. So the layout

is MUCH better than the picture that was posted.

If you ask the steward to put the beds up during the day it helps you as

well.

You will save a quite a bit of change.

we did it and it is quite doable.

see the arrangement above-- if those beds on the floor were seperated there will be tons more space on the floor- putting those beds together took up all your floor space.

BUT balcony cabins are different as you will have a sofa and an upper bed on top of the sofa.

The main problem is keeping the cabin somewhat organized so it dont feel like it is closing in on you. An over the door shoe holder works wonders.

It keeps everything off the vanity--the one area that can hold anything.

Store the suitcases under the bed=- do not live out of the suit cases.

shower in sessions or head to the gym as a family and take your showers there- (that is exactly what we did)

The sofa with one upper and two twins that can be pushed together to make a king seems to give you more room and there will be no bed over the king bed. If it is availlable, that is how I would book.

This was on the Splendor (8437) last year with our two youngest kids so space is tight but manageable. Folding them up during the day helps.

DSCF0102.JPG

With a balcony you have a different configuration. When we've traveled 4 to a room, there's been a couch which then became a bed and a pull down sleeper. Push sleeper up and put couch bed back to a couch, the room did not feel as crowded as the picture shows with the inside room. Here's picture of the room, you can barely see the couch in far right corner, pull down sleeper is above that.

attachment.php?attachmentid=147750&d=1267039951

Shows how roomy it still feels with being a quad. Other benefit of balcony, another place to go while people are changing, etc, other than going into the hallway. Just makes the room feel even larger when you have the balcony to step out to.

DSCF0074.jpg.1a891606df0ba74cc5b174a255aab756.jpg

If you look at the spirit class ships, you can book a 4k room which is an obstructed OV cabin, with an interior price.

Also, rates are increasing for summer sailings according to info here and on the Carnival website.. so HURRY!

Thanks. I saw about the price increase, so we need to make up our minds quickly!!! And, I did not know about the 4k room with an interior price. I do like the Spirit class (we did the Miracle last March and it was my favorite ship). We are looking at Freedom for June.

Thanks everyone for the great advice!

220 sq ft. It's me, my husband (who is a big body builder type) and our 2 sons....15 and 9. We do this configuration: 2 twins pushed into a king, and a couch and an upper above it. There is adequeate amount of room. Balcony rooms are much smaller living area.....b/c they just take the 35 sq ft from the 220, they don't add to it.

The newer ships have the OV cabins that are 220 sq ft. Splendor does...Destiny, Freedom, Valor, Liberty....those are the ones I know of off hand. I have a picture if you want to give me an email addy I'd be happy to email you OV pics

I'd love to see photos...thanks so much. My e-mail is pgstickney@gmail.com.

Thanks again to everyone for all the good advice.

This was on the Splendor (8437) last year with our two youngest kids so space is tight but manageable. Folding them up during the day helps.

DSCF0102.JPG

Thanks for the photo! While that might have worked for us when the kids were little, I think now if we go the quad route, we will do the 2 twin beds pushed together and the couch with the sleeper over it.

Thanks again for the photo!

Hubby and I were on the Freedom in October... beautiful ship. It was just the two of us, and we went with a balcony room..OV's are definitely bigger.

With the Twins, a couch with upper would probably work out best for you...and I do believe that most of the balcony rooms are set up that way. They are 'smaller' because of the space of the balcony, but does give you a place to escape while everybody else is getting ready.

We had 4 (myself, DH, DD 20 & boyfriend) in a balcony cabin on the Conquest. We had the sofa/upper & queen bed. With the exception of getting ready, it was never a problem & it just takes a little cooperation to make that work. Think it was easier on the kids than parents because they are use to sharing bathrooms with several people from college. As other have said, you are not in the room that much, or at least we were not.

Happy Cruising!

Don't necessarily assume that the quad will be cheaper...

Our last cruise with our sons - it was cheaper to put them in an inside cabin across the hall from our balcony cabin than to have all four of us in the balcony. I was very glad, since sharing a balcony with my husband AND my teenage sons would have been challenging.

Good luck with whatever you decide

We usually get a quad balcony. (dh, myself, dd21, dd18) We manage quite well. DH uses the spa/gym shower if we are in a rush to get somewhere. We use the balcony as an extra room- if the girls need the cabin to change in. But, then again, I am cheap, and don't want to spend for an extra cabin- even if it is an inside!:p

Archived