Earthquake near Santiago Chile -- Princess Sailings and Passengers

mmyorkston

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=81224.blog

"Princess says passengers who booked affected flights in and out of Santiago through Princess are being re-booked, and any needed modification to pre- or post-cruise packages are being handled by the line."

Seems like there may be some conflicting messages out there. However, I think Princess is responsible unless people let them off the hook, and a their news release indicates that.

That would be great advice but up until 10 minutes ago, for 2 1/2 days every Princess rep both myself and my TA talked to said it was MY responsibility to get to the ship even though flights were booked thru Princess air. And Princess has not contacted me either by email or phone yet, all contact was made by me or my TA not Princess
I am not defending Princess, but if you have a TA doesn't the TA "own" the reservation, and isn't all communication to/from Princess supposed to go thru the TA? Why do you expect Princess to be contacting you? [i TOTALLY agree that they should be contacting your TA (which apparently has not been happening)].

Thom

I am not defending Princess, but if you have a TA doesn't the TA "own" the reservation, and isn't all communication to/from Princess supposed to go thru the TA? Why do you expect Princess to be contacting you? [i TOTALLY agree that they should be contacting your TA (which apparently has not been happening)].

Thom

When passengers are enroute - they are encouraged/allowed to contact Princess with travel issues and delays to get guidance. This was a weekend situation and many travel agents are not available during this time. This is why Princess gives emergency numbers to passengers for problems like this.

Thom

In an emergency situation and actually all situations, the only thing that can not be discussed by princess to the passenger is any financial detail on the booking. Emergency contact information is there on the booking for this reason, because many ta's do not work weekends princess might, if they have the manpower use passenger contact information to relay updates, i don't know.

. If a passenger contacts them, no problem discussing something like this, it's just that you need to the agency itself to call and cancel the booking, if that's the deciosion you arrive at. Regardless of the source of the air ticketing (whether princess bookied it or you did) If the airline makes a decision not to fly their physical property ( aircraft) into santiago, princess cannot "force their hand" and make them take someone there. It truly is "no-win" for the folks in chile,passengers on the cruise currently, passengers on the next cruise, the airlines, travel care companies and prncess itself. This is a 'one -off". I feel bad as many passengers were awaiting a once in a lifetime cruise, i know it's hard to sit tight, but princess right now has to deal with the safety of pass on the current voyage and getting them out, when very few airlines have planes flying in to "turn-around" and fly them out.......sit tight is all i can suggest, the dust will settle, literally/figuratively and then the financial issues can be adressed once crisis is over. Best of luck to all, again, i do understand how dissappointed so many are.

Thom

My TA has been on the phone constantly with Princess just like I have and had been getting the same story. It was up to me to get to the ship. Last night I was told that they would be rebooking flights and would contact me when they knew something. Princess press releases say that all passengers will be re booked and contacted. They have all of my info on their website and crusie personalizer, a contact from them mentioning what they are doping would be nice. Instead of boarding the ship today I'm sitting in my office in California with no clue where or when or even if I'll be joing the Star Princess.

From a post on my roll call the passengers on board are being told they will get off the ship today and be sent to a local hotel Princess has arranged or are being offered discount rates to sail back to BA or Rio. It will be interesting to what they offer us.

My TA has been on the phone constantly with Princess just like I have and had been getting the same story. It was up to me to get to the ship. Last night I was told that they would be rebooking flights and would contact me when they knew something. Princess press releases say that all passengers will be re booked and contacted. They have all of my info on their website and crusie personalizer, a contact from them mentioning what they are doping would be nice. Instead of boarding the ship today I'm sitting in my office in California with no clue where or when or even if I'll be joing the Star Princess.

From a post on my roll call the passengers on board are being told they will get off the ship today and be sent to a local hotel Princess has arranged or are being offered discount rates to sail back to BA or Rio. It will be interesting to what they offer us.

If you go to the 3/2 roll call there are two posts 1612 aboard 1613 from people onboard with specific info.

Responding to a much earlier post, of course I know travel insurance is recommended. But it would be much preferable to be given a refund directly from Princess than going through the hassle of an insurance claim. But you say that is not the case.

Reading all these posts from people trying to make their cruise, I have to say I am surprised at the lack of, shall we say sympathy, from Princess to their passengers. But in their defense, they must be overwhelmed.

If you go to the 3/2 roll call there are two posts 1612 aboard 1613 from people onboard with specific info.

It seems there os more being done then is being publicized.

Yes, but the only updated information we are getting is here on Cruise Critic.

Not exactly true. Princess and other sources are providing updated information

"3/2/2010

Star Princess in Valparaiso, Chile - Update

Star Princess arrived in Valparaiso, Chile -- the terminus of a 12-day South America/Cape Horn cruise -- as scheduled this morning, Tuesday, March 2.

Because air flights are continuing to operate in and out of Santiago on a limited basis over the next several days, we recognize that passengers are having difficulties reaching Star Princess as planned. Therefore we will hold the ship in Valparaiso until noon on Thursday, March 4, giving arriving passengers additional time to meet the ship.

At that time, Star Princess will depart on a revised itinerary for the next cruise, calling at the ports of Ushuaia, Montevideo, Buenos Aires, and ending in Rio de Janeiro on March 16. Passengers who are able to embark Star Princess in Valparaiso at the time of sailing on March 4 will sail on the revised itinerary, and will be advised after departure on their cruise details.

Passengers who are currently onboard Star Princess and are unable to fly home because of limited air flights, have two options. They can disembark the ship as planned on March 2, or they can remain onboard for the next cruise, and can disembark from any of the ports on the sailing up to and including Buenos Aires.

We are providing updates to passengers as we receive new information, and we appreciate their patience and understanding as we manage this unforeseen situation. In the meantime, our thoughts are with all those affected by the tragic earthquake in Chile."

Good morning. Princess just provided us with updated information, but I see it's just been posted -- thanks w0kie! :) I've just e-mailed our PR contact for more information regarding possible compensation for the shortened cruise, etc. I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything.

~Ashley :)

It appears that Princess's unrealistic expectations this weekend have become much more realistic.

Let's hope passengers can now reach the ship. Good luck to all of those passengers who are trying to re-arrange their flights!

Not exactly true. Princess and other sources are providing updated information

"3/2/2010

Star Princess in Valparaiso, Chile - Update

Star Princess arrived in Valparaiso, Chile -- the terminus of a 12-day South America/Cape Horn cruise -- as scheduled this morning, Tuesday, March 2.

Because air flights are continuing to operate in and out of Santiago on a limited basis over the next several days, we recognize that passengers are having difficulties reaching Star Princess as planned. Therefore we will hold the ship in Valparaiso until noon on Thursday, March 4, giving arriving passengers additional time to meet the ship.

At that time, Star Princess will depart on a revised itinerary for the next cruise, calling at the ports of Ushuaia, Montevideo, Buenos Aires, and ending in Rio de Janeiro on March 16. Passengers who are able to embark Star Princess in Valparaiso at the time of sailing on March 4 will sail on the revised itinerary, and will be advised after departure on their cruise details.

Passengers who are currently onboard Star Princess and are unable to fly home because of limited air flights, have two options. They can disembark the ship as planned on March 2, or they can remain onboard for the next cruise, and can disembark from any of the ports on the sailing up to and including Buenos Aires.

We are providing updates to passengers as we receive new information, and we appreciate their patience and understanding as we manage this unforeseen situation. In the meantime, our thoughts are with all those affected by the tragic earthquake in Chile."

This info was posted on the Cruise Critc website before Princess released this update this morning as I mentioned in my earlier post. It sure would have been nice if they sent these press releases to all of the passengers on the sailing directly by way of email. They have all of our data so how hard would that be?

Their last paragraph indicates they are "providing updates to passengers as we receive new info" How? Sure not by phone or email to me. I read the roll call post on CC with this info to my TA earlier this morning, she also had not been notified yet.

Princess says current passengers will be allowed to stay onboard for $50 per person, per night, for inside and oceanview cabins and $75 per person, per night, for balcony cabins. There have been no decisions made yet, regarding compensation for those booked on the sailing that will depart Thursday.

~Ashley :)

This info was posted on the Cruise Critc website before Princess released this update this morning as I mentioned in my earlier post. It sure would have been nice if they sent these press releases to all of the passengers on the sailing directly by way of email. They have all of our data so how hard would that be?

Their last paragraph indicates they are "providing updates to passengers as we receive new info" How? Sure not by phone or email to me. I read the roll call post on CC with this info to my TA earlier this morning, she also had not been notified yet.

While we all sympathize with what you're going through, it's really not doing you a hill of beans to sit here and argue with people about what they are or aren't doing.

While we all sympathize with what you're going through, it's really not doing you a hill of beans to sit here and argue with people about what they are or aren't doing.

Doug is just 'venting' IMHO, and I totally agree that this is probably the most frustrating cruise he has ever booked. I am sure, if many of us were in his shoes right now, we would also need a place to 'vent' after we had exhausted every avenue to assist in the situation. So, no hard feelings at all towards Doug, he is in a tough spot here and with no end in site. I feel terrible for him, the other passengers disembarking and trying to embark the ship, and all those in Chile that this horrible hand mother nature has taken upon herself to display has effected.

Doug is just 'venting' IMHO, and I totally agree that this is probably the most frustrating cruise he has ever booked. I am sure, if many of us were in his shoes right now, we would also need a place to 'vent' after we had exhausted every avenue to assist in the situation. So, no hard feelings at all towards Doug, he is in a tough spot here and with no end in site. I feel terrible for him, the other passengers disembarking and trying to embark the ship, and all those in Chile that this horrible hand mother nature has taken upon herself to display has effected.

I totally agree! Doug and his agent are trying "to work with Princess" and really are not getting any answers. I know if it was my vacation - I would be on pins and needles. I am sure Doug and others on this cruise have planned this trip for over a year and it is truly a trip of a lifetime. The comments Doug has made are very consistent (almost exact) with the experiences of everyone else on the roll call. Many on the roll call have given up due to lack of cooperation/information with Princess. If this was a 7 night cruise, I would say drop it but this truly is a trip of a lifetime that I am sure took a long time to save for and to plan for (get time off from work, etc..)

I totally agree! Doug and his agent are trying "to work with Princess" and really are not getting any answers. I know if it was my vacation - I would be on pins and needles. I am sure Doug and others on this cruise have planned this trip for over a year and it is truly a trip of a lifetime. The comments Doug has made are very consistent (almost exact) with the experiences of everyone else on the roll call. Many on the roll call have given up due to lack of cooperation/information with Princess. If this was a 7 night cruise, I would say drop it but this truly is a trip of a lifetime that I am sure took a long time to save for and to plan for (get time off from work, etc..)

It definitely wasn't taking a crack at Doug, I'd be equally frustrated. It's just the heightening tension between posts going back and forth wasn't helping anyone.

It definitely wasn't taking a crack at Doug, I'd be equally frustrated. It's just the heightening tension between posts going back and forth wasn't helping anyone.

If anything - I think many of us have learned a valuable lesson from Doug and others who are booked on this trip and I appreciate that. These posts have been extremely helpful in many of our eyes.

For example - if one books air with Princess, I would expect Princess to help make arrangements to get to a future port (after all, he was on a 32 day cruise). This was definitely not the case as people were told to "call American and work with them and that they were on their own" but on the other hand they were told "don't count on the ship to make the scheduled stops". So what is a person supposed to do? When I first heard about Doug's experience - I was thankful he had Princess air as I thought they would help him. That couldn't be further from the truth. People were promised a phone call back from Princess on Saturday as to further plans, many are still waiting for that call.

I think many of us have learned valuable lessons here and hopefully we will be able to figure out what should have happened or what is best to do when booking these types of trips in the future (cruise air, not cruise air). Many on this trip planned to go in several days early so they thought they were doing the right thing and had their bases covered. I will be curious to hear several months from now how people with different cruise insurance worked out (Princess and 3rd party).

Star Princess March 2, 2010 South American Cruise.

We have 18 in our group. We are all seniors. With all the changes, our airlines cannot get us to the port of departure on time. Forget about meeting the ship at another port. The airfare price due to change in destinations is prohibitive. For us to fly to Santiago now the airfare is $2800 per person.

All our local vendors in Chile, Rio, Montvideo, Bueno Aires and Ushuaia have refunded our tours and transfers. We deeply appreciate their understanding and commitment to customer relations. For sure when we return we will seek them out again to support our future land tour needs.

So far we have not heard from Princess their policy in terms of addressing those who are not able to join the cruise at the start or at the middle. We have always been faithful patrons of Princess, hope they value this customer loyalty and look to learning that Princess will do the right and equitable thing to support our past, present and future relationship with them.

Oimui

Archived