live from the Golden Princess Feb 28 to Mar 14

MTJSR

FYI, we took a bus from Aloha Tower to the International Market Place as a starting point for our Waikiki walk/dinner. You have to come out of the pier building and turn left, walk up to King Street (2 blocks) and turn right (2 blocks) to the bus stop. The cost to ride the bus is $2.25 per person. If you have a Medicare card (the red/white/blue paper one) the cost is $1.00. A cab ride would be $14.00. Don't even think about walking it because it is pretty far. Just adjacent to our pier are boats you can board for a dinner cruise. I truly doubt anyone would be interested after a week of Princess dinner cruises.

What exactly is there at the International Market Place???

Thanks

Dan

. Thanks, though, for the reminder about the closed toe shoes for me. In my zeal in downsizing (twice) in my packing, I've sort of ended up with only dressy sandals for evening shoes, flip flops & my running shoes (not exactly appropriate dinner attire).

Elissa

Two of the women at our Chef's Table wore tennis shoes because that was the only closed toed shoes they had. Angelo didn't mind at all.

FYI, we took a bus from Aloha Tower to the International Market Place as a starting point for our Waikiki walk/dinner. You have to come out of the pier building and turn left, walk up to King Street (2 blocks) and turn right (2 blocks) to the bus stop. The cost to ride the bus is $2.25 per person. If you have a Medicare card (the red/white/blue paper one) the cost is $1.00. A cab ride would be $14.00. Don't even think about walking it because it is pretty far. Just adjacent to our pier are boats you can board for a dinner cruise. I truly doubt anyone would be interested after a week of Princess dinner cruises.

What exactly is there at the International Market Place???

Thanks

Dan

T-shirts, flip flops, carvings, nick nacks, grass mats, key chains, pearls and the list goes on. It is a open air (partly) walking path with lots of vendors selling stuff we can all live without. It is however centrally located and I use it as a launching point when in Waikiki.

I wanted to jump in here again to add my 2 cents worth, but Mark is covering our cruise so well I'm not sure what I can add.

We had fair weather yesterday in Honolulu. DH and I had booked a ships tour that took us to the natural wonders of the island. It seemed to us to be a really long 4-hour tour, but we did see some lovely spots and got some nice photos!

Mark and his family planned on dining in town, so we ordered room service and watched movies on the DVD. The suites have an extended menu, so we were able to order off the regular menu. Jerry had the crispy chicken and I had a chefs salad from the room service lunch menu. We still had chocolate covered strawberries and little cream puffs from our afternoon canapes, and they served as our dessert. Very relaxing evening.

Jerry has been suffering from allergies since before leaving home, and last night was the first night he was able to get a really good night's sleep. When we awoke, we were just pulling into the harbor here at Kauai. Beautiful weather today. We'll see if it lasts all day! :D

Aloha from Vada

I found out that steak and lobster is served on the last formal night (friday) before Ensenada. Tonight was Rack of Veal. Hint, If you order it ask for extra sauce. In fact ask for extra sauce on everything, including the Fettuccine. Princess has been real stingy with the sauces this trip and it does make a big difference.

More Later!

MTJSR...

From what I've been reading from your posts, it sounds like the food has been marginal. Am I correct in making that assumption??

PTKreuser, your suite sounds just amazing. Quite possibly larger than my first NYC apartment after graduating from college years ago...we all know NYC real estate is just awful! Anyway, I've enjoyed your commentary as well and am glad to hear you guys are going to leave the ship in fine shape for our sailing next Sunday.

Just one question, and possibly a strange one at that...you mentioned your husband's allergies. This is actually my biggest fear when I take a vacation, that I will go and my allergies will act up and I won't be prepared. Is there something particular in the air that is causing your husband's allergies that is somewhat seasonal & I should be alert for? Basically just wondering if I need to just bring Zyrtec & inhaler or be really prepared & start Singulair ahead of time to boost allergic immunity. (Now I sound like a crazy person, I'm really not, I swear, I just don't want to ruin a really wonderful 2 week cruise by having an allergic asthma attack within the first few days because "something was in the air" or "something was in the first stages of bloom").

Thanks in advance.

Elissa

MTJSR...

From what I've been reading from your posts, it sounds like the food has been marginal. Am I correct in making that assumption??

Yes, sadly that is my opinion. I am a Princess cheerleader of sorts and because I care, I have to be honest. I have to say that Princess food is pretty marginal. If it was a neighborhood restaurant of mine, with blah food , I wouldn't be going back. NOW, there are some exceptions, but I said overall. The Fettuccine is dry dry dry. It tastes ok but with more cream sauce, I would be doing cartwheels. Some will say, “but ask for more sauce” How about serve more and I will ask for less, if I think it is too much. Others at my table had the same opinion before hearing mine. There are many more examples, but I think you have read enough reviews to agree mine is not out of the ordinary.

Sunday, 3pm

This morning we arrived in Nawalili, Kauai at about 7am. We had a tug boat join us right outside the breakwater. I assume this to prevent us from being blown onto the rocks to the right of the opening. This is a small tight maneuver port that was interesting to watch. We pre rented a car from Budget. Car rental shuttles are straight outside and to the right (not where the busses are) but here is the trick, DO NOT stand in the car rental line inside the terminal. That is for people who want to rent a car that don't already have one reserved. Pre reserve for this port if you can. The airport is a short drive away but too far to walk. The Budget office took forever, after we arrived even with a reservation, the line took nearly an hour and our reserved type of car was gone. When we got back the return process was quick but they didn't have a driver for us. An employee who was off drove us back to the ship. But we got back!

FYI, there are chickens everywhere! These birds have become nuisance pests and are running loose all over. We drove up to the Napali coast, decided to just drive and see what we see. If you are looking at a map we took the north shore direction (right) very nice, very beautiful. Plenty of beaches to stop at. If I come again, I will stop, swim and snorkel for sure. The best part of this drive was we did not see one tour bus the entire day. Felt like we had the island to ourselves. Lunch was at Paradise Bar & Grill in Princeville. Cute little shopping center, very laid back.

The Academy Awards is on MUTS later. We will be leaving Kauai at 4:30 for Maui.

More later!

I am enjoying your live feed very much. We're going to Kauai for

9 nights in July. It's fun to hear a little bit about it. We haven't

been for 12 years. Can't wait to go to Princeville. How was

the food at the restaurant?

4 cats, we had lunch at the Paradise Grill and loved the food, it's a great little shopping area.

We also "Tubed the Ditch" it was a kick lots of laughing. :)

I can't wait to go back to Kauai on a land trip.

Dianne

Sunday, 8pm

At tonights dinner, I finally requested extra sauce for the fettuccine and it was wonderful. I also learned baked potatoes are available upon request, so I got one of those too, with the main course. Dinner was good, but this might be another good evening to try a speciality restaurant. Nothing on the menu that shouldn't be missed.

The sail away out of Nawiliwili was interesting tonight. The wind was blowing in such a way, that if we pulled out from the pier normal, the ship would of become a huge wind sail and possibly get pushed the opposite direction we wanted to go. So the captain sent the aft end out first while keeping the bow close to the pier, then held that angle all the way out into the bay. We then proceeded forward and out the mouth of the breakwater. Lots of locals drove to the end of the inside 2nd breakwater to take pictures and see this behemoth maneuver out and around. Had to be quite a sight.

We are now bouncing around on our way to Maui. Real windy and choppy out here. Doesn't seem to be making anyone queezy though. First tender out in the morning is 7:30am and last tender back to the ship is 5:00pm.

We had an situation in our corridor that I should mention. Princess has a policy that they will provide celebratory balloons ONLY at your doorway for birthdays, anniversary etc. Two neighboring passengers put their own banners across their cabin doors, in addition to the Princess balloons. Another passenger filed a complaint that their cabin steward wouldn't do the same for them. The steward is really bummed because that woman is convinced he put those banners up there for them.

Princess had an Oscar party tonight in the vista lounge complete with a red carpet entry. I avoided it like the plague, but heard it was fun.

The gold by the inch is back out for sale along with earrings tonight. For the last few days there has been flower arrangements for sale on the promenade as well.

MUTS tomorrow is “Love Happens”

We pre rented a car from Budget. Car rental shuttles are straight outside and to the right (not where the busses are) but here is the trick, DO NOT stand in the car rental line inside the terminal.

Thanks so much for sharing and the live-from posts! Regarding the car rental shuttles, did you have to call the companies to ensure they would be at the port upon arrival or were they all present? We're renting from Hertz and they've advised we need to call first (am hoping we don't have to else we'll be charged with some pretty hefty roaming charges on our BBs!)

Thanks so much for sharing and the live-from posts! Regarding the car rental shuttles, did you have to call the companies to ensure they would be at the port upon arrival or were they all present? We're renting from Hertz and they've advised we need to call first (am hoping we don't have to else we'll be charged with some pretty hefty roaming charges on our BBs!)

Hertz shuttle was sitting there in car rental row when we walked out. All the companies were waiting actually.

I don't remember seeing them there, i will review my photos and see. Fyi, there are taxis all lined up just outside the pier and the airport is about 3 miles away.

From my iphone at mc donalds in maui. The kona coffee served here was a much needed java jolt. Anyone want banana pie, portugese (sp) sausage eggs and rice, how about spam rice and eggs? Mc donalds has all these. Beware the prices might scare you. The tender ride this morning was interesting. Do not sit in the front under the roof windows unless you wish to get drips of water on you. The waves come up over the front and come thru the windows. If you do not have a shore tour thru princess you go to the bernini dinning room near international cafe and get a tender ticket. I waited only 5 minutes before being called. Whales are very active this morning. At about 9:30 they really started jumping out of the water. When you get to the pier area there are lots of shops and things to see/do right there. Additionally boats are waiting to take you out to see whales, fish or snorkle/scuba. You dont have to go far at all really. Fyi people in wheel chairs cannot go in the tenders and i would advise anyone with limited agility to stay onboard as well. The tenders are tricky to get into due to the wave surges. I am very agile and almost fell down.

More later!

I don't remember seeing them there, i will review my photos and see. Fyi, there are taxis all lined up just outside the pier and the airport is about 3 miles away.

From my iphone at mc donalds in maui. The kona coffee served here was a much needed java jolt. Anyone want banana pie, portugese (sp) sausage eggs and rice, how about spam rice and eggs? Mc donalds has all these. Beware the prices might scare you. The tender ride this morning was interesting. Do not sit in the front under the roof windows unless you wish to get drips of water on you. The waves come up over the front and come thru the windows. If you do not have a shore tour thru princess you go to the bernini dinning room near international cafe and get a tender ticket. I waited only 5 minutes before being called. Whales are very active this morning. At about 9:30 they really started jumping out of the water. When you get to the pier area there are lots of shops and things to see/do right there. Additionally boats are waiting to take you out to see whales, fish or snorkle/scuba. You dont have to go far at all really. Fyi people in wheel chairs cannot go in the tenders and i would advise anyone with limited agility to stay onboard as well. The tenders are tricky to get into due to the wave surges. I am very agile and almost fell down.

More later!

Thanks for the update re: the shuttles and of the tenders! Yikes! I'll be sure to be extra careful....

We were on the Golden in September and will be on board in May. If you have a chance could you ask your head waiter if head waiter Mario is still aboard.

He was a gem, coupled with wait staff Roberto and Domenique, they added much to our cruise.

If Mario is still on board we will ask the maitre'd to sit us in his area.

Have fair winds and following seas.

P&J

Thanks MTJSR for taking the time for all of us and sharing your cruise. I hv a question if you know just off hand, we booked rooms 603,605 on Dolfin deck and we were wondering if that floor has covered balconies, Its a mini suite. Thanks again for your time

Thanks MTJSR for taking the time for all of us and sharing your cruise. I hv a question if you know just off hand, we booked rooms 603,605 on Dolfin deck and we were wondering if that floor has covered balconies, Its a mini suite. Thanks again for your time

Dolphin deck minis are all uncovered balconies.

Archived