live from the Golden Princess Feb 28 to Mar 14

MTJSR

First things first. I had every intention of making this a much different Live From thread. CCRAIN and Duck Duck Cruise both did fantastic jobs with their threads. I planned to upload pictures as a travel log of this cruise showing those things others have not. Unfortunately I am having problems getting photos to my Photobucket website from my MacBook Pro laptop. The bandwidth is very poor and taking for ever. When I return, I will share the entire album in bulk.

NOTWITHOUTABALCONY wanted to know if they had the 20 dollar binocs in the store and I did not see them last night but will ask today.

Here is what I started yesterday to accompany the pictures;

We arrived in San Pedro early Saturday evening during a major rain storm. The Crowne Plaza was very busy with shuttle vans and cabs arriving from the airport. We drove in from northern California and had a difficult time getting close enough to off load the bags. The hotel was very full of cruise guests. Sunday morning, I woke at 6am and looked out the window just in time to see the RC Navigator of the Seas coming in. The Crystal Symphony was already berthed. At exactly 6:25 the Golden came slowly down the channel (see photos) it took some time to inch it's way into position. We ate breakfast at the Crowne Plaza Buffett. A little pricey for the limited selection and the food rather luke warm. We did mention it and the staff quickly replaced the hash browns and eggs with hotter fresher trays. We decided to evade the crowds and drive our bags over and drop them at the pier and drive back and park at the hotel. We walked back to the pier which took about 20 minutes. We entered the terminal and were asked to fill out the two question health card and present our boarding passes before heading up the escalator. I tried taking a few pictures to share here but was quickly tackled to the ground and my pictures deleted. Well sort of, I was asked to delete the photos for security reasons as I never saw the sign hiding on a small pillar in the middle of the room. We were platinum, so we were separated by oh..... eight feet from the other non platinum passengers to wait for the counter to open. At exactly 11am the counter opened and we had our cruise cards in under two minutes. Were were ushered to a small room where there were breakfast rolls, coffee, juice and assorted teas waiting. At approx 11:50 we were allowed to start boarding. Once onboard, we met our room steward Jerry on Caribe deck who was just beat from running all over getting ready to embarkation. He politely asked to postpone our chat until he had a chance to run downstairs and take his shower and change his uniform. We of course told him to go take care of himself we had plenty of time to meet up later. We have met the nicest people on this ship from all over the world. There are lots of British citizens onboard and I think we have talked to all of them. I was just up at MUTS and they had the Tina Turner concert from Wembley going. The pool in the middle was sloshing pretty good. The waves are moderate right now, but the pool is pretty active. As I type this, I am getting bumped around quite a bit. Outside on the balcony it is cool but not very windy. You can actually stand out their against the railing and watch the seas. Dinner was good tonight. Had the Alfredo, spring roll and Prime Rib. The meat was a little over cooked but ok overall. I also had the love boat dream and a scoop of vanilla ice cream for desert. The two together are just fantastic. They had bananas foster available and our waiter thought we needed to try it too, so he brought over a couple dishes to try. The dinning room was only about 70 percent full tonight. Pretty normal the first night out they said. Our waiters are both extremely hard to understand. They talk so fast I find myself trying to lip read. Service is great, however the up selling was getting a bit much. They were pushing us to buy 3 bottles of wine in a box set for 195.00 and then wine tasting for 25.00, not to mention the specialty coffees. We signed up for the chefs table after boarding (we had some onboard help getting on the list) the dine line was just a recording today. I will tell you a secret, be nice to everyone you meet onboard and you will be amazed at what nice things happen to and for you. First impression of the International cafe was that is was much smaller than you expect. The deserts available look fantastic and cookies are.

Monday morning, we had room/coffee service delivered at 7:30 and watched the seas from our balcony. Weather was very comfortable. Checked my iphone compass and we are heading 124 degrees south west. Nothing out here at all, except the Crystal Symphony which is following us to Hawaii. The ship is gently rolling from side to side and pitching a bit. As we were leaving Los Angeles last night I thought It was going to get rough out here but as soon as they deployed the stabilizers everything settled right down. 10:30 am the captain announced we were taking a much more southerly track due to a one thousand mile radius storm coming out of Asia. He expected the seas to pitch and roll for the next couple hours. Time into Hilo will not change. Today is our meet and greet at 3pm. Yesterday, we scoped out Skywalkers lounge and I don't believe this is the best place we could of picked for the meeting. It's layout is too broken up and forces a lot of little groups to form instead of a larger open setting. Perhaps the aft pool area would have been better.

Thanks for the thread MTJSR. We are sailing right after you (3/14). Quick question regarding dropping off your bags. Did you have to park, or simply drive thru somewhere and be greeted by porters. We have a rental car to return, so I would like to drop the bags off, return the car, then catch a cab back to the pier to board. Also, about what time did you drop off the bags?

Thanks again, and enjoy your cruise!

Tom

We returned from our cruise to Hawaii on Sunday morning and Jerry was also our room steward. He works very hard and you will like him. Tell him Judy and Rod said "Hi" please.

We had four very "rocking and rolling" days to Hilo on our cruise. Many people were sick although the dining room was full, in our area, every night that we were there. We were never able to eat on our balcony on the way there.

I'll read, with interest, your daily happenings.

Thanks for the thread MTJSR. We are sailing right after you (3/14). Quick question regarding dropping off your bags. Did you have to park, or simply drive thru somewhere and be greeted by porters. We have a rental car to return, so I would like to drop the bags off, return the car, then catch a cab back to the pier to board. Also, about what time did you drop off the bags?

Thanks again, and enjoy your cruise!

Tom

It is just like an airport, drive on in and drop the bags in the assigned area. We dropped them pretty early and I think they are prepared for that. Very easy and lots of room to take your time getting unloaded. Watch going out though, lots of busses and cabs racing for the airport to get people out of town.

BTW, seas this minute are just perfect, we had a special stirfry lunch prepared fresh outside the Horizon Court. Not in the patter so keep this in mind...very good!

Hope you have smooth sailing and clear skies...:)

Thanks so much for taking time out of your cruise to share your experiences here.

I am loving all the live threads. I read each one. I can't believe it's almost my turn, finally!!

Hey, Pam, April 25 is coming soon...........;) Join us!!??:D

When are you going on Mariner again?

I am loving all the live threads. I read each one. I can't believe it's almost my turn, finally!!

Hey, Pam, April 25 is coming soon...........;) Join us!!??:D

When are you going on Mariner again?

Wish we could go along with you on the Golden, but we are booked for the Christmas cruise like we did back in 08

Mariner is for 9/12/10..:) Want to come along??

Have a wonderful time on the Golden in April.. Some friends of ours, jiggerb, are going with you, I think.. We just saw them at our Cruise Critic LV group dinner last night.. They are very excited..:)

We had our meet and greet at 3pm today. Nearly everyone showed up from the roll call. Those that I spoke with were very nice. Kansasgirl, her husband and I spent the most time talking. Super nice couple! The Captain, Nico Binetti, Hotel Manager, Danilo Portoso, Dave and Leialoha (ELUA) came by to visit. The Captain gave a short talk about the weather he is avoiding for us and the Hotel Manager spoke about his role onboard and the syrup coffee which he added as humor. The Captain reads Cruise Critic and is a member. Both were very nice, but had to return to the bridge to watch and adjust our course for the weather. Neither the Cruise Director or any cruise staff came by to visit. They were invited but must have been busy. Princess provided dry snacks, a Cruise Critic private gathering sign, half the Skywalkers Lounge, a waitress and a bartender. I think they did ok on drinks as it seemed they were kept quite busy.

Tonights dress is smart casual, MUTS movie is “State Of Play” and the show Cinematastic is in the Princess theatre. Last nights “Junk for Sale” in the Piazza was rings and gold by the inch. Tonight it is watches. The chicken salad at the International is as good as others have claimed. Tonights dinner was pretty good, but this would have been a good night to try one of the other venues. I had the rib eye steak with new potatoes. It was about the only interesting thing (to me) on the menu. The desert menu was equally ho hum.

We had two poker tournaments today. The first one was so popular they immediately had sign ups for a second game that followed almost immediately at 12 noon. The slots are tight tight tight. Save your money and buy a fake diamond ring in the Piazza for 29.00 or get an inch of gold plated jewlery. We toured a fellow CC members suite tonight just down the hall from us on Caribe deck. In my next life I will get a cabin like that. The balcony cabin we have is really rather small. Most of the space is near the fridge/desk and the balcony. The bathroom is like those on an airplane.

It rained a little bit tonight. The Captain warned us that tomorrow's seas might be a little choppy. Dave and Leialoha are performing right now on the ground floor of the Piazza.

More tomorrow!

Aww, Captain Binetti was our captain for our b2b CB cruise! Yes, I suspect you will experience some of the storm headed our way, its supposed to rain pretty hard the next few days with thunder storms on wednesday, I think they said this was supposed to be a very chilly storm so I hope it doesn't bring your cruising temperatures down too much! Lol, see what your missing back home? Makes you happy your cruising in the other direction :D

Thanks for the memories!!! We just got off Golden Princess on Sunday. As mentioned it was a "lumpy and bumpy" trip across the Pacific to Hilo. Hopefully the seas will calm down for your cruise. The Hawaiian Islands were lovely..warm and no rain while we were there. We also participated in the Chef's Table. Just to let know that there are 3 menus. We were at the "Grill" one which was the second one..first was "Surf and Turf", and the third I believe was a "Veal Roast". Which ever you attend you are in for a wonderful treat for the palate and the eyes!! Angelo Balbiani the head of all wait staff and Jeremy Snowden, the head chef are very personable and friendly.

We also found the slots to be tight..so I spent money in the shops instead!!! There was something to buy everyday, but I have become a wiser shopper on cruises and not so

impulsive which my husband appreciates!!! If you can, try the craft classes..especially the fresh orchid lei ones on the way to Hawaii and on the return trip the ribbon leis.. you need a ticket for these classes which are given out in front of Crown Grill. Hula classes were fun too. Have fun and I will be reliving the wonderful time on Golden Princess through your "Live From" as we get ready for a cool and cloudy week here in Los Angeles.

Wish we could go along with you on the Golden, but we are booked for the Christmas cruise like we did back in 08

Mariner is for 9/12/10..:) Want to come along??

Have a wonderful time on the Golden in April.. Some friends of ours, jiggerb, are going with you, I think.. We just saw them at our Cruise Critic LV group dinner last night.. They are very excited..:)

Sept. 12 is right around my birthday.........I may just look into it.............

Yes, I will be on the Hawaii cruise with jiggerb.

Glad you all get along so well!!:)

I am getting excited, too, and I will read this thread every day!

We had two poker tournaments today. The first one was so popular they immediately had sign ups for a second game that followed almost immediately at 12 noon.

Thanks for the live postings. I am sure our friends Don and Carol would have played in the poker tournaments. Carol is a poker fanatic. She and Don are celebrating their 50th anniversary with this cruise.

Tell them hello from Ernie & Jocelyn and let me know if they win one.

erscott@wyoming.com

MTJSR,

a huge thank you to you for the "Live from ....". We're on the 3/14 sailing, and will be looking for any tips and suggestions you can offer.

Wishing you smooth seas and sunshine.

Mary Lou

Thanks for the memories!!! We just got off Golden Princess on Sunday. As mentioned it was a "lumpy and bumpy" trip across the Pacific to Hilo. Hopefully the seas will calm down for your cruise. The Hawaiian Islands were lovely..warm and no rain while we were there. We also participated in the Chef's Table. Just to let know that there are 3 menus. We were at the "Grill" one which was the second one..first was "Surf and Turf", and the third I believe was a "Veal Roast". Which ever you attend you are in for a wonderful treat for the palate and the eyes!! Angelo Balbiani the head of all wait staff and Jeremy Snowden, the head chef are very personable and friendly.

We also found the slots to be tight..so I spent money in the shops instead!!! There was something to buy everyday, but I have become a wiser shopper on cruises and not so

impulsive which my husband appreciates!!! If you can, try the craft classes..especially the fresh orchid lei ones on the way to Hawaii and on the return trip the ribbon leis.. you need a ticket for these classes which are given out in front of Crown Grill. Hula classes were fun too. Have fun and I will be reliving the wonderful time on Golden Princess through your "Live From" as we get ready for a cool and cloudy week here in Los Angeles.

Thanks Grandmaa for your suggestions, we are having a ball.

Its Tuesday 7am, we turned the clocks back one hour last night. This morning the seas are realitively calm but the wind is howling at our balcony door (strange no white caps) getting warmer outside too. I am surprised just how protected the sitting area on the balcony is, when the ship is moving. You can enjoy it anytime. Today is a talk from a gentleman who personally interviewed the last Titanic survivor. Dave Cole says the talk is just riviting. This will be his last cruise though. Tonight is the first formal night, champagne waterfall/Welcome Aboard Party. MUTS movie is “UP”. Nobody I know is feeling seasick at all. I brought Bonnine but don't need it. FYI they sell it in the store as well, they have lots!

We returned from our cruise to Hawaii on Sunday morning and Jerry was also our room steward. He works very hard and you will like him. Tell him Judy and Rod said "Hi" please.

We had four very "rocking and rolling" days to Hilo on our cruise. Many people were sick although the dining room was full, in our area, every night that we were there. We were never able to eat on our balcony on the way there.

I'll read, with interest, your daily happenings.

I will tell him you said hi. He is crazy busy, yesterday he was wiping the metal trim up and down the hallway. I never see him not doing something. Good guy!

Hi!

What time was the champagne reception on the first formal night? Trying to plan ahead for our wedding cruise, and people want to go to the champagne reception so I'm trying to arrange for dinner reservations immediately following that.

Thank you so much MTJSR. I have you saved so I can stay up with you. We just booked this cruise for dec.8 ,, I know its a long way away but I will be able to get lots of info from you. Have fun as I am cruising right now thru you. I can wait.

Archived