SD II: May 23 - June 5, 2010

We're booked and final payment has been made. We've got our days planned for Istanbul and Kusadasi and are working on Athens but the debates have begun for the remaining ports. So please, please - if there are any veterans - we've love your feedback and suggestions on the other stops -- Santorini; Naosa, Paros; Mytilene and Molyvos, Lesvos; Mykonos; and Sifnos (Platys Gialos Bay and Kamares, though we can understand that can change based on the seas). Since its a BtoB we have double the opportunity in each port except Sifnos.

I loved the recommendations on beaches in another thread.

Thanks

FT

We're booked and final payment has been made. We've got our days planned for Istanbul and Kusadasi and are working on Athens but the debates have begun for the remaining ports. So please, please - if there are any veterans - we've love your feedback and suggestions on the other stops -- Santorini; Naosa, Paros; Mytilene and Molyvos, Lesvos; Mykonos; and Sifnos (Platys Gialos Bay and Kamares, though we can understand that can change based on the seas). Since its a BtoB we have double the opportunity in each port except Sifnos.

I loved the recommendations on beaches in another thread.

Thanks

FT

The only thing that comes to mind as a suggestion is---Take us with you.:D

Unfortunately, some of the other ports (other than Mykonos, Santorini and Kusadasi) have blended together in my memory from our 2007 cruise. But, my general recollection is that we didn't really "do" anything in those other ports besides simply walk around. We basically did forced marches up to the highest point in the town/on the island. This got us great views, allowed us to see a lot of the port towns and also got us at least a little exercise. Generally, those towns are so small there's no need to plan anything in advance.

I think we also got a guidebook on the Greek Islands--I think the "Rough Guide" and maybe also Frommers--which had a few pages at least on each port.

We really enjoyed the unplanned days and had a great time just walking around without too much on the itinerary. We're doing Venice-to-Rome this summer and outside of one or two ports where we might to official shore excursions, we'll probably just take the same approach.

Also, and I think you may have seen this in my post in the beaches thread, I think renting and ATV (or a small car if that's more your thing) in Santorini is wise--the main town, Thira, where the cruise ships dock, is kind of a mess of people. It's much better to get out into the other areas where it's not so crowded. In general, getting a car on some of the other islands might not be a bad idea either, especially on your second visit, as the ports where you'll dock are quite small. I recall some islands had supposedly beaches and little towns that were not in biking/hiking distance.

...so, as I write this I decided to go through our pictures from the trip--it turns out the beach we went to was on Samos, not Paros. Samos, I now recall, is also an island that's big enough that you may want to rent a car to explore some other areas. And, I now realize that we actually didn't even get off the boat in Paros--they had the marina open and we just chilled on board that day. I'll amend my post in the other thread.

Regardless, you are going to have a wonderful time!

I have just a couple of thoughts. If you can stomach it, do ride a donkey up the hill. It's hokey and smelly, among other things, but it's one of those things that one should do in life if the opportunity arises. Do not ride a donkey down the hill. You should either walk or take the funicular down to the port area.

We took the SD shore excursion that involves a bus ride to Fira which includes a stop at a winery and the ever popular shopping time in town. You'll see some nice scenery and enjoy the chance to walk through the little town of Fira.

Finally, I'll give you some advice which you do not need and which I am incapable of heeding: steer clear of the jewelry stores and other high end shops at the top of the hill. They are ubiquitous, obnoxious and many other adjectives that I can not use on this family oriented message board.

You didn't ask about Kusadasi but I will recommend visiting Ephesus during the day and in the evening. They are 2 totally different experiences. You are fortunate in doing a B2B that you can spread this over your 2 visits. We did both in one (very hot) day and were wiped out but it was well worth it.

By the way, there are lots of jewelry stores in Kusadasi as well.....

"I have just a couple of thoughts. If you can stomach it, do ride a donkey up the hill. It's hokey and smelly, among other things, but it's one of those things that one should do in life if the opportunity arises. Do not ride a donkey down the hill. You should either walk or take the funicular down to the port area."

Is there a particular island for which you are recommending the donkey ride?

"Finally, I'll give you some advice which you do not need and which I am incapable of heeding: steer clear of the jewelry stores and other high end shops at the top of the hill. They are ubiquitous, obnoxious and many other adjectives that I can not use on this family oriented message board."

No need to worry about that one. No jewelry addictions in this family. Now of course if you and Mrs. CTBJR want to join us .. . . .:cool:

And we have multiple excursions planned for our two days in Kusadasi including going up in the hills I believe . . .

Thanks so much

FT

Yes, both the donkey ride and the shore excursion to Fira are for Santorini. Sorry about that.

ZQ Vol couldn't believe that I had any questions about which island you were referring to . . . EIGHTY DAYS ONLY. 78 until we catch our plane. Checking the SD itinerary list -- only 10 more sailings for SD II until we re- join our SD II family. CAN NOT WAIT! Must start shopping! Gotta feeling the number of mosques/churches ZQ Vol is planning on visiting may require special attire.

FT

We had a blast on mopeds on Santorini. Could go anywhere, including down staircases in towns. Just be sure to wear a helmet and take gravelly turns slowly (we saw lots of skinned elbows and knees...).

We went out to ruins, etc, that were well off the beaten track. Is one of my fondest memories from the Greek islands.

Sadly, even ol' Ragnar must insist that the ouzo be saved for apres-moped. :eek:

ZQ Vol couldn't believe that I had any questions about which island you were referring to . . . EIGHTY DAYS ONLY. 78 until we catch our plane. Checking the SD itinerary list -- only 10 more sailings for SD II until we re- join our SD II family. CAN NOT WAIT! Must start shopping! Gotta feeling the number of mosques/churches ZQ Vol is planning on visiting may require special attire.

FT

Sounds to me like you want to go shopping.

And since you don't have another one booked yet - why not this one? ZQ Vol and the rest of the family are off to -- shudder, shudder a mass market spring break sailing, but I'm waiting for SD.

FT

Would love to but have some conflicts then. Possibly in the fall. Looking forward to your review as the Greek Islands are positively on the list. Will be with you vicariously.:D

Hey FT,

You booked the back to back - I was trying to get my DH to do the back to back as well but he say no this time so we are adding on 3 days at the begining of the trip to Istanbul and and extra night in Athens. You are way ahead of me on planning - I've done nothing but book hotel in Istanbul and flights. Looks like I need to start working on it..... see you there!

With only one day in Istanbul we've booked a private guide and will be getting off the yacht as soon as we can and returning as late as possible. About the only time we won't be waiting to board at 2:00 p.m. :rolleyes: but we can't be late. While Captain T won't be driving as we had expected he warned me not to be late getting back to the yacht. Its not like the Caribbean where the yacht leaves much later than the announced departure time.

We're also staying an extra day in Athens (Hotel Grand Bretagne) and look foward to see you and your DH again.

Counting down the days - 74 for us. :D

FT

I think that we are going to end up booking the Grand Bretagne too. I've been hoping to find a somewhat smaller sleeker hotel but I haven't had a lot of sucess (we're staying at the Park Hyatt in Istanbul which looks pretty cool). The location of the Grand Bretagne looks hard to beat. I'm thinking private guide in Istanbul for 2 days - there seems like alot to see and my experiences using a guide in Rome and Mendoza have been really great. I'm looking forward to Istanbul everything I've been reading makes me think its going to be a fabulous trip.

I just got my final confirmation and we're all paid up so it won't be long now!!! Looking forward to seeing you at the TOY Bar with a glass of Champs!

Hey Overwurked,

Whe we were in Athens we stayed at the Electra Palace. It is smaller than the Grande Bretagne but in a great location, in the Plaka (old Athens). You may want to Google it. It is a beautiful hotel with a pool and restaurant on the roof (view of the Acroplolis). I definitely recommend it.

If I may recommend something else: Go to the subway station right in front of the Parliament buildings. You can buy a visitors pass (dirt cheap) which permits you to take all public transit but more importantly a Hop-on/Hop-off tour bus. With this you can go to all the key attractions while listening to a pre-recorded description of what you are seeing. It isn't highly advertised. When we asked at the hotel they were more inclined to sell the pricy bus tour. Just an option. Have a great trip

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Everyone.

I am a long time LurKeR and have been following along on the action on this thread. And oh how we wanted to be on this cruise (we're doing Hawaii instead). My DW and I have been on 5 Seadream cruises (all on Seadream II, all in the Caribbean and most all have been the New Year's cruises).

We are sooooo envious of you all taking this cruise. I have all my pictures of past cruises set as my screen saver and when we need a mental break we sit and watch the pictures scroll by. We both miss Christophe and his panache, Capt T (we wish him calm waters and much success with Azamara) and the Z-Man (who always make sure I get my special olives in my martini - and the wife getting the surprise foot spray). Oh ... and Hi overwurked, wish we were goin on this one wiff ya. DeepSiGH...

My 2 cents on the Greek Islands. We were on a big boat cruise (RCCL) 7 years ago. The objective for each port was to have the local coffee and licorice drink (greek coffee n ouzo, espresso n sambuca, turkish coffee n raki, demitasse n pernod). So likely a few things have changed and some of the recollections may be a lil licorice fogged.

We wandered all around Athens after getting dropped off at the Acropolis and made our way back to the cruise ship vis the subway. It was a no brainer although everything was greek to me. (lots of nice people translated for us).

On Mykonos we took the local bus (around 5 euros for 2 round trip) to one of the beaches (Paradise Beach). It was easy to do and the buses ran regularly. The beaches all seemed to have bars, served great local grilled seafood and provided (for a fee) umbrellas and lounge chairs.

Santorini is picturesque but I do fondly remember sitting in a restaurant overlooking the caldera and drinking several bottles of the local white wine. It was cold and yummy. What a great way to spend a hot sunny day.

Kusadasi - Ephesus is a must see for sure. All guides are registered, well educated and versed on the history of the site. Ours made it a very interesting, fun and informative day and it was well worth the $. We also looked at a lot of carpets. We didn't do our homework so I didn't buy at the time. After we got home I did do some looking about and found out that we missed a great deal (40% cheaper than in Canada - even with the shipping) -d'oh. We also found out that it's easy to get a carpet bag and carry it with you. That way you have control over the shipping and you are assured that you get what you paid for.

We were going to book this cruise in 2011 but just plunked a down payment on the 10 day Rome/Rome. Something a little special for a 35th anniversary and an opportunity to spend my bday in wine country - chianti here we come.

Have a great cruise everyone. We are with you in spirit. See you in 2011...

Cheers, FS

As I pulled out of the driveway this morning the fedEx man stopped with a package for me. FT was coming down the driveway after me. She made me surrender the package.

Of course it was from SD, and had documents in it.

This is just not fair that she took them away.:mad::mad::(:)

They are here!:)

This is just not fair that she took them away

They are here!:)

My rule is - if the charge hits my credit card, I get first shot at the docs!:p

I forgot to go green with the on line contract and shipboard credit this time. The travel wallet is very satisfying and the travel insurance and assorted documents will fit nicely. I do miss the pen from years ago but love the pull out itinerary and embarkation information. Is it too early to start packing? :D

FT

Archived