Did you ever sleep on the sofa bed?

Hi!

We are booked for a family of 4 on Explorer of the Seas family suite cabin 7392 all the way on the back of the ship. I was told that there are 2 twin beds and one sofa bed. We'd like to give the kids the twin beds and my husband and I would use the sofa. Has anyone ever actually slept on the sofa bed? I'm concerned that it won't be very comfortable..

BTW - I'm a first time poster but a long time lurker and I've gotten great tips from this site!

Thanks

Hi!

We are booked for a family of 4 on Explorer of the Seas family suite cabin 7392 all the way on the back of the ship. I was told that there are 2 twin beds and one sofa bed. We'd like to give the kids the twin beds and my husband and I would use the sofa. Has anyone ever actually slept on the sofa bed? I'm concerned that it won't be very comfortable..

BTW - I'm a first time poster but a long time lurker and I've gotten great tips from this site!

Thanks

How old are your kids?

I would put the kids on the sofa bed....they aren't as comfortable as the real beds will be. The twins can be made into queen/king (bigger than a queen, not quite a king!).

Perhaps one could sleep on the floor, if they don't want to sleep together.

I would never give up the better bed to my kids....ever! Kids can sleep anywhere!

My 19 yr old has slept on a sleep sofa multiple times and there was little room left for a second person. I know my DH and I would not make it a week on the sofabed.

Have you looked into a balcony for you and your spouse and an inside for the "kids"? The price might be similar to that of your JS and you would have a second bathroom.

My "kids" are 21 and 19. This is actually for my son's college graduation!

That's a great cabin. A JS is a good cabin anyway, and on the aft, you will have a VERY large balcony. Score! :)

Now, as to the sofabed................ask your cabin steward for TWO, count 'em, TWO egg crate mattress toppers. It's not bad, and this arrangement will probably work for you, even though others have said that they would put the boys in the sofabed.

:)

I have been thinking about changing cabins since I realized the sleeping arrangements. I thought we booked such a nice room and then I was surprised that enough space to sleep would be an issue!

I have been thinking about changing cabins since I realized the sleeping arrangements. I thought we booked such a nice room and then I was surprised that enough space to sleep would be an issue!

You *could* request a rollaway bed, put one son in the sofabed, one on the cot, and Mom & Dad take the queen regular bed.

In a JS there is enough room to do this without regretting the loss of floor space too much.

You *could* request a rollaway bed, put one son in the sofabed, one on the cot, and Mom & Dad take the queen regular bed.

In a JS there is enough room to do this without regretting the loss of floor space too much.

That is what I was thinking too. It is worth asking. I know they will in some full suites, just not sure about JS.

Pretty big boys to share the sofa bed, it is rather small. My granddaughters 8 and 10 shared a sofa bed. Why not try and find two adjoining smaller cabins. Balcony is a must. That way you have two bathrooms and can close the door if boys decide to sleep in ( or come in late)

Never knew that rollaways even existed on cruise ships. That might work.

Thanks.

I don't know about room for a rollaway bed in a JS with the sofa bed open. I think it would be tight if not impossible. Sometimes aft JS are a little smaller than a JS on the port or starboard side of the ship.

I think the major problem will be 4 sharing a bathroom.

I'm sleeping on the sofa bed in our GS in a few weeks. I am an adult and you guys have me worried. I'll definitely ask for the egg crate mattress toppers!

One person on a sofabed will be fine, it is just a little cozy with two adults. The eggcrate definitely helps the comfort factor of it.

What is a pullman?

Beds that fold out from the wall. They usually sit above the regular beds (but not always). They are comfy. I've slept in one. The little light up there is a cool feature since I like to read at night.

Slept on sofa bed once when an Aunt wanted to join my daughter and I...DON'T do it to yourself or your sons. Find different cabin or accomodations. They will never fit comfortably on the sofa bed. I'm 5'3" and I took up the entire bed. It doesn't "fold out" like the sofa bed you are thinking of. You sleep in a sideways position; it's more narrow and shorter. It will make for a very unpleasant experience.

I wish that we knew about the egg crate topper in Jan. We had a balcony room for my husband and 2 DD's 21 and 7. After night 1 my poor husband got relegated to the sofa bed and the 3 girls slept in the big bed. I am a slow learner and figured out after the fact that for the same amount of money we could get a balcony room with an adjoined interior so that is what we are doing next Jan. Should be way more comfie.:D

Hi Lileesa,

Not to worry you, but I slept on the couch in the JS on the Mariner and even with the egg crate it was VERY uncomfortable (I'm 5'5" and I had to sleep sideways, you could feel the bars poking through...). The other annoyance is that there is no light for the person sleeping on the sofa bed, so if you want to stay up later then everyone else you're basically out of luck.

For our upcoming cruise in december, it was actually cheaper for me to be in a PR alone (paying almost double), and my Mom/Grandma to be in a balcony across the way then to book a JS. We now have a friend coming with us which helps me to save a little $$ :D Just a thought, as others have mentioned, that it might be worth your while to check out the prices. PLUS this would give you two bathrooms instead of just one!

Hope that helps!

Katdb

That is what I was thinking too. It is worth asking. I know they will in some full suites, just not sure about JS.

Yes they do. We were in a JS on the Liberty last year and I asked for a rollaway (for my DD who's 11) while my DS 13 slept on the sofa bed. It fits in the room and you still have enough space to move around. The only thing is that the rollaway was horrible :eek:. It's small and very uncomfortable. Althought my DD never complained, I would have never slept on that bed :) Next time we will probably go for a balcony and an inside stateroom if the price is right.

I slept on the sofabed in January(VY) and it was fine........then again,maybe since I was exhausted(didnt get to bed till 3,at least and got up everyday at 7am) helped.......:)

seriously though,it was fine for me..........

My son, who was 13 at the time, slept on the sobabed on Freedom. He was fine with it, but there was NO space left for anyone else.

I would suggest 2 cabins if for nothing else than the 2 bathrooms. When we have both kids with us (DD is now in college) we do a balcony for us and an inside for the kids. If two cabins are not an option, ask for the rollaway, it will make everything so much better.

BTW, for rooms with balconies the pullmans are usually in the E cabins, D's and suites usually have the sofabeds (not the usually!).

Archived