Majesty hit by wave- fatalities.

jocap

my mom called me to tell me about this...Louis Cruise Lines cannot catch a break...I was on the Sea Diamond that sank in April of 2007 off the coast of Santorini. Let's see how they handle this...they were not on their game when my ship sank...

it is horiffic and my heart goes out to the 2 pax that passed away and the 14 injured.

Hey, that wave that hit the cruise ship today, that was the Norwegian Majesty.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/03/03/cruise.ship.wave/index.html?hpt=Sbin

It may not be Norwegian anymore, but it was when I sailed it. An old ship. We had our share of "interesting" things happen when we sailed it, too; although I can't say anyone was killed.

Wasn't the fore of the 5th deck the freestyle dining area? That's where the wave hit. Now that's scary.

Hey, that wave that hit the cruise ship today, that was the Norwegian Majesty.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/03/03/cruise.ship.wave/index.html?hpt=Sbin

It may not be Norwegian anymore, but it was when I sailed it. An old ship. We had our share of "interesting" things happen when we sailed it, too; although I can't say anyone was killed.

Wasn't the fore of the 5th deck the freestyle dining area? That's where the wave hit. Now that's scary.

It was "Royal Fireworks." The area is a forward lounge. We sailed the Majesty 6 times in the past 2 years and I know when the seas got rough NCL often closed the lounge to protect the passengers. With 26 foot seas this area should have been off limits since those windows are certainly close enough to the bow to receive a wave. Last October a window was blown out of the sundries store just down the starboard side from Royal Fireworks on the Canada/New England cruise just before the one we embarked on.

When I heard that windows broke in public space in the forward part of the ship, I knew immediately it must be the Fireworks lounge. We encountered rough seas (up to 18 ft. waves across the bow) on a Majesty Canada/NE sailing a couple of years ago. They closed off the lounge for two days as a safety precaution as they have had window breakage in the past the captain said. In my opinion, a design flaw on such a small ship to have huge windows on the bow so low.

fly. imo, the ship has a greater chance of catching a big wave than a plane does of going down.

No offense, but two perished out of around 2,000 passengers and crew? I'll take those odds! I guarantee that's a lower percentage than the majority of plane crashes!

Accidents and bad weather are a part of life. Very sad for the loss of life. Unfortunately, there is no safe form of transportation. One could get run over by a car just walking on a sidewalk.

Silly goose. Cars don't walk on the sidewalk

The Majesty is not an NCL ship...... The only Majesty sailing from the US is in port in

Miami

I believe that you are thinking of Royal Caribbean's ''Majesty of the Seas' currently sailing out of Miami. The ship that this thread refers to was built in 1992 as the 'Royal Majesty', was sold to NCL in 1997 and became 'Norwegian Majesty', and then began sailing last December with Louis Cruise Lines as 'Louis Majesty'.

All I can say is WOW.

Thinking about all those on board.

Aubie

That is an extraordinary piece of film. The first two seconds actually caught the wave hitting the windows.

Yikes. First reports said it was "a" 26ft wave and a later report said it was hit by 3 consecutive 30ft waves and that the second two did the majority of damage. I'm not sure if they've decided which account is accurate.

We had a close call on the Majesty last fall returning from Bermuda sailing through a nor'easter to Philly. In the middle of the night a big wave rocked the boat so severely the dresser fell right over. My two-year-old daughter was sleeping on a mattress on the floor. Fortunately it narrowly missed her because serious injury would have resulted. We dodged a bullet on that one. Thank the fates for sparing her.

Please spare me any lectures on parenting, common sailing safety sense, or any other derogatory comments.

We had a close call on the Majesty last fall returning from Bermuda sailing through a nor'easter to Philly. In the middle of the night a big wave rocked the boat so severely the dresser fell right over. My two-year-old daughter was sleeping on a mattress on the floor. Fortunately it narrowly missed her because serious injury would have resulted. We dodged a bullet on that one. Thank the fates for sparing her.

Please spare me any lectures on parenting, common sailing safety sense, or any other derogatory comments.

Hi beaglz,:)

DH and I were down low and midship. We were amazed that people were talking about it the next morning since nothing moved in our cabin and we felt nothing to wake us up.

Our condolences to the families who lost a loved one on board the Majesty. Hopefully those that were injured will recover quickly. The video is both amazing and scary!:eek: Hope something like that doesn't happen again on anyones ship!

The Majesty is not an NCL ship...... The only Majesty sailing from the US is in port in

Miami

Louis Majesty launched in 1992, but debuted for Louis Cruise Lines in December of 2009. The ship is better known as Norwegian Majesty, its name when it sailed for NCL from 1997 until fall 2009

The ship was originally meant for Finnish cruise line Birka, but as the shipyard went into bankruptcy and Birka didn't accept the new price for the ship, it then was bought by Majesty Cruise Line (source faktaomfartyg.se). So the ship was originally built (and maybe designed) to be used in the Baltic sea, which can be have very bad weather sometimes causing damages (case Estonia).

Archived