San Juan, PR Scam information

flamomo

Found on the Cruise Junkie website, in the "Events at Sea 2010" section.

Since this website usually reports factual information, I thought I would share this with you.

From a reader: I have been a travel agent for 24 years and have cruised dozens of times. It seems that our Caribbean ports of call are getting more and more dangerous. When our ship (Holland America's Eurodam) was docked in San Juan last week (Feb 23, 2010) my daughter and I ran into an American man who was badly beaten, bloody-faced and in shock. He told us that he and his 73-yr-old father had taken a tour to the Old San Juan Fort and had wandered into the adjacent neighborhood. They were jumped by a group of men who punched his father in the face, stole their wallets and beat them repeatedly. It was a desperate situation, being badly hurt with no identification or money, and no one who spoke English. His father had to be hospitalized, and he says the San Juan police were of no help. UPDATE: Two readers have responded to this posting and warned that the man is a scam artist. One reader says: This guy has been approaching cruise passengers for years. He catches two people alone near the port and tells a well rehearsed story about wondering in the wrong neighborhood and getting mugged. He reports that his father is in the hospital. Isn’t it funny that his father is in the hospital but he still has blood on his face? When asked about going to the police, he says that he did and they are of no help. Another writes: We encountered the EXACT same man with the EXACT same story when we were in San Juan in November. He only wanted $12 for a taxi to the hospital to get his father. We of course felt bad and gave him more. He is dressed in a suit and speaks English without an accent. His story sounds believable. The next day we told the story to our taxi driver. He told us that the man is out all the time asking for money. He has a skin condition that makes him look like he was beat up. It's just a scam to make money. Advice: One needs to be senstive to the risk of street crime, but also aware of the scams played on cruise passengers.

• 5 weeks later...

We encountered this man at El San Juan Hotel lobby area Oct 2009. Same story spoke very quickly had quite the story he was an Engineer from WI. Very thin thinning hair,think he said his name was John Grey. He and his Dad found them selves in the wrong area and both were mugged and robbed of everything. Although he was wearing a watch. Dad was admitted into the hospital. he said the police and hotel Concierge were no help. He only asked for $6.00 from us. As we asked some questions he became some what agitated and we quickly gave him the $6.00 and left the area where we were. We did inquire with the concierge if indeed a man had requested their assistance in regards to the muggings and they confirmed they had not been approached. We hope to be back in San Jaun Oct 2010 maybe we will see him again;)

Yes, this guy has been doing this for years...Last June I was approached by him on my way to the Starbucks for my morning coffee...He gave me the usual story and then luckily a nice young man came up and chased him off.

• 1 year later...

This man is still there, as of last Thursday. He approached the four of us asking, "Do you speak English?". When we said yes, he said, "Thank God!" and started his story. He's neatly dressed and acted very calmly. Too calm, if his story was true. When he got to the part about his father going to the hospital in an ambulance without him, I interrupted him and said, I've heard of you, you're known on the internet. Then I told him to get lost. My companions were a little shocked until I explained that he was a well-known scam artist. He is quite convincing.

Later we were coming back to the ship and came across him talking to a young couple. He'd changed his clothes. They had money out and I told them he was a scam artist. Needless to say, he didn't get their money.

Edited by IreneCat
Added date for reference.

Egads! If people would put half as much effort into legitimate work as they do for a handout...but I guess that's the idea.

Gotta go - have to go watch Damian on Glee. Back later.

Would one of you pls tell me about Bon Voyage - the who, what, where, etc. Thanks!

I would say that this guy must have a lot of success since he has been doing it so long. I had read about him before we went last year. My db & sil arrived a day before the other 6 of us. I pulled everyone aside before we went out that night to warn them and my db said, he approached us last night. Apparently he isn't hostile at all and excepts that you know about him or are not interested in "contributing" to his cause.

Hello,

I'm new to posting on this board but we are cruising in January and stopping in San Juan. Just read an AP article regarding escalating drug war in SJ . Do you feel safe taking the self guided walking tour? We are there from 3:00 - 11:00 . At least we'll have a heads up on the American scammer!

This man is still there, as of last Thursday. He approached the four of us asking, "Do you speak English?". When we said yes, he said, "Thank God!" and started his story. He's neatly dressed and acted very calmly. Too calm, if his story was true. When he got to the part about his father going to the hospital in an ambulance without him, I interrupted him and said, I've heard of you, you're known on the internet. Then I told him to get lost. My companions were a little shocked until I explained that he was a well-known scam artist. He is quite convincing.

Later we were coming back to the ship and came across him talking to a young couple. He'd changed his clothes. They had money out and I told them he was a scam artist. Needless to say, he didn't get their money.

Good for you! I'd do the same thing. Since he's been doing this for so long now, makes me wonder if the authorities there don't get a cut from what he takes in? They surely have to know about him. Wonder what would happen if someone actually brought a policeman/women over to him duirng his scam? This guy probably makes more scamming people in one day than he would at a real job. Shameful! JMO.

Maxine

We wondered if we would bump into " John Grey" an engineer from Wisconsin as he introduced himself to us back in 2009. We spent several days in San Juan this past Sept 2011 and while walking back from old San Juan to the Caribe Hilton. There he was walking towards us. Same line! Do you speak English? We never responded and just walked past him then couldn't help it,we started to laugh. We were so surprised to have actually seen him again. We should have asked how is Dad was doing?? How does he get away with it?

He can't find anyone that speaks english at all? odd especially in tourist areas.

Heck if I ran into this guy I'd scream at the top of my lungs "Anyone local speak english, this man needs help getting to the hospital"

I guess CC and nearly all tour books need to change the port information if he can't find anyone speaking english in all this time, cause they all says pretty much the same:

"Spanish and English are the official languages of Puerto Rico. In tourist areas, English predominates."

I'm new to posting on this board but we are cruising in January and stopping in San Juan. Just read an AP article regarding escalating drug war in SJ . Do you feel safe taking the self guided walking tour? We are there from 3:00 - 11:00 . At least we'll have a heads up on the American scammer!

As safe as any other similarly sized city, perhaps safer. In Old San Juan it is quite commone to see policemen scattered around, some patroling on foot others simply standing at busy locations. Tourism is very important to the local economy and the safety of visitors is taken quite seriously.

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

Hi, solo traveller here. Did part of the self guided walking tour last month. Was a lovely hot day and I managed the first part quite happily. Didn't feel at all nervous.

He can't find anyone that speaks english at all? odd especially in tourist areas.

Heck if I ran into this guy I'd scream at the top of my lungs "Anyone local speak english, this man needs help getting to the hospital"

I guess CC and nearly all tour books need to change the port information if he can't find anyone speaking english in all this time, cause they all says pretty much the same:

"Spanish and English are the official languages of Puerto Rico. In tourist areas, English predominates."

Spanish is the predominant and main language of Puerto Rico, 99.9% speak spanish since the 1500's, Puerto Rico is latin and not anglo. English is only heard in tourist areas..because 75% of tourists that come and visit Puerto Rico come from english speaking countries like US or Canada, that is why the scammer is in the tourist area abusing tourists and not in other districts of san juan...he can't speak spanish!

Edited by orquidia

• 3 weeks later...
Found on the Cruise Junkie website, in the "Events at Sea 2010" section.

Since this website usually reports factual information, I thought I would share this with you.

From a reader: I have been a travel agent for 24 years and have cruised dozens of times. It seems that our Caribbean ports of call are getting more and more dangerous. When our ship (Holland America's Eurodam) was docked in San Juan last week (Feb 23, 2010) my daughter and I ran into an American man who was badly beaten, bloody-faced and in shock. He told us that he and his 73-yr-old father had taken a tour to the Old San Juan Fort and had wandered into the adjacent neighborhood. They were jumped by a group of men who punched his father in the face, stole their wallets and beat them repeatedly. It was a desperate situation, being badly hurt with no identification or money, and no one who spoke English. His father had to be hospitalized, and he says the San Juan police were of no help. UPDATE: Two readers have responded to this posting and warned that the man is a scam artist. One reader says: This guy has been approaching cruise passengers for years. He catches two people alone near the port and tells a well rehearsed story about wondering in the wrong neighborhood and getting mugged. He reports that his father is in the hospital. Isn’t it funny that his father is in the hospital but he still has blood on his face? When asked about going to the police, he says that he did and they are of no help. Another writes: We encountered the EXACT same man with the EXACT same story when we were in San Juan in November. He only wanted $12 for a taxi to the hospital to get his father. We of course felt bad and gave him more. He is dressed in a suit and speaks English without an accent. His story sounds believable. The next day we told the story to our taxi driver. He told us that the man is out all the time asking for money. He has a skin condition that makes him look like he was beat up. It's just a scam to make money. Advice: One needs to be senstive to the risk of street crime, but also aware of the scams played on cruise passengers.

We're staying at Le Consulat tonight, on Magdalena, on the Condado. Ran into this guy outside the Coral Princess, also on Magdalena. Said "we know who you are, bye" and kept walking. So, he, or a copy cat, is still out there.

THANK YOU CC!! You saved me some bucks there! :D (Do I dare admit that I was excited to actually see "John":o) We were waiting on a trolley in Old San Juan when we were approached by this very clean cut gentleman with "I hate to bother you". His story doesn't vary much! I let him get through about the first two lines about he and his dad accidently getting on the wrong side of the wall "where tourists are told not to go and we got taken down" I was about laughing when I said "I heard all about you on the internet" - he VERY quickly said "God Bless You" and headed off faster than lightening! I hurried to the corner to see which direction he'd gone, but he was nowhere to be seen.