Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

Another question, Meg. What is the approximate toll between 78/turnpike entrance and 13A? And toll back from 13A to 14B Cape Liberty? Just want to be ready. Thanks again, Judy

no worries.....

that's why we suggest the hotels off 13A...some of the others...well...you need a PhD in urban road planning stupidity to figure it out..and GPS signals often flake out up there...mine does all the time...even updated...and it is such a bleeping mess that i can't even figure out what is wrong to submit a correction

sailing out of Cape Liberty for first time soon...Is it any different then Ft. Lauderdale.....as far as lines and drop off ...having Family drop us at port....

Yes totally different......let me think about this a minute:confused:

Yes we were thinking of a Hop on Hop off tour - I looked at Grayline and a few other. The only time we were in NYC we found it much easier to negotiate the price in person, I hope it is the same given we have 8 people not sure if that will give us an edge for a discount. It looks like costs are very different $44 - 99....

Thanks Meg, don't want to get my A's and B's mixed up! 14A ...got it. The toll calculator on the turnpike website really works well.

13A to 14A costs $3.00.

You are a fountain of the best info.!

Judy

No CLUE.....couple bucks maybe... :o;)

and it is 14A

Try This...

Yes we were thinking of a Hop on Hop off tour - I looked at Grayline and a few other. The only time we were in NYC we found it much easier to negotiate the price in person, I hope it is the same given we have 8 people not sure if that will give us an edge for a discount. It looks like costs are very different $44 - 99....

Hmmmm they should be closer to $40-45....the high end sounds too high.....we had 5 or 6....cant recall if they cut us a break...you could calk and see....

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

Thanks Meg, don't want to get my A's and B's mixed up! 14A ...got it. The toll calculator on the turnpike website really works well.

13A to 14A costs $3.00.

You are a fountain of the best info.!

Judy

Aww blush....heehee

Funny thing is....i have never used the site....silly me

We are driving down the day before our cruise out of Bayonne. We will be staying in Newark near the airport (free using Marriott reward points), and would like to take a train/rail into Manhattan. Which line, station, and type of rail should we take?

While not the cheapest..the easiest thing is to take the hotel shuttle.to P4...which is where you will go to get when you arrive...take the.monorail to EWR airport rail station. then take nj transit into nyc

Which Marriott are you staying at? What day of the week are you doing this? Another option is to drive up the turnpike to Secaucus Junction, pay to park, and take the train. The train fa is $12.50/pp each way from the airport station, but only $3.75/pp from Secaucus Junction. This is easiest to do from the Marriott Properties on Glimcher Realty Way. A weekend day would probably work better as well.

OOPS...missed the driving part...so sorry!!:o;)

Note to self...do not post without proper caffeination!

What 138 suggested is a good idea...and likely cheaper...

AND there are a couple Marriott flavors in the Secaucus meadowlands area...there is a Renaissance, a couple courtyards, a residence inn..and a Fairfield...

:confused:Wow, I have been reading for hours. So much information what a treasure. I will try to be very concise with my questions.

Information.

Husband and I.

Travel date: Flying into EWR on Feb 8th 2013.

Cruising to: Bahamas, Explorer, out of Cape Liberty Feb 10th 2013

Never been to NY would like to do city tour on Saturday the 9th of Feb. (it would be fabulous to leave from hotel for tour)

We will need transportation to hotel from airport and to pier.

Would like to keep stress to a minimum, not sure if we want to attempt public transportation.

Questions:

Weather in February, will it be an issue for the tour?

Is there a hotel that would have a pick up for tour, or the most convenient hotel to get to a tour starting point?

I had read and had booked the Best Western Plus for $284 package included , two nights, breakfast buffet, shuttle from EWR, Shuttle to Port, and Shuttle from port back to EWR. They also said there is a city tour that picks up at the hotel. BUT, after reading this whole thread, I think I am going to cancel. Your help will be much appreciated.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Nooooooo to the best western.....they have a package mainly as no one stays there....

Most tours do not pick up in nj to go to ny.

When i get onto the computer i can get more info. o.e option might be the hilton newark penn station. from there public transport is cheap and easy....

138 and others will be by...buy in the meantime check them.

Weather might be a problem.....hard to say...

Welcome! I am on that cruise as the second leg of a B2B. Please come and join our roll call.

Let me look around for you to see what I can find. I know there are tours that will pick up at Newark hotels, but I don't recall what they are. Do you have any names?

It will likely be cold in Feb - 20-40 degrees. You will need a warm jacket, a warm hat and gloves. Ski gear would be fine. One of the thrills of sailing out of NY is going under the bridge and it's even better if you are outside on deck.

Yes - please ditch the Best Western.

What is your hotel budget? The reality is that you will likely have to arrange transportation to the port. All the hotels will have an airport shuttle.

Just to chime in...I haven't been on this thread for a while but you two are definitely my guides to the NJ / NYC areas.

We booked the CI in Elizabeth for 10/31-11/2/2012. Sailing on Brilliance 11/2.

This hotel offers a NYC tour. It's actually run by OnBoardTours.com. They offer pick-up and return to hotel.

I spoke with them on the phone and after studying their website, booked with them. Tour is actually from 12:30-6pm. Pickup is between 10-10:30am.

Hotel quoted me $70pp, which I relayed to the guy I was talking to. He gave me that price which is $10 less than their website. Then they add a "ticket/handling fee" of $10. So it comes to $80pp + gratuity, which they suggest 15%.

I hope it's as good as the reviews on tripadvisor.

Susan

Probably $150 max per night. I understand from reading there are many variables as far as transportation, included or extra. It is looking like the Country Inns might be a good choice. Then we would arrange transportation to the port. Yes there are just the two of us. Maybe we could arrange to share transportation since it seems many cruisers are using CI and there only two of us. I am excited to hear there is a tour that picks up there. Thanks so much.

You've been doing your homework on these boards. I was going to suggest Country Inns from aa.com - $114/ night incl tax and cancellable. Post on our roll call to see what turns up - it's still really early. The good park/sleeps aren't contracted yet for 2013 - stay123.com has a great deal for 2012 that has attracted a lot of cruisers to CI. It's way too soon for transportation arrangements. If you can't find a shared ride, you can probably buy cruise transfers from CI for $35/pp rt.

After reading until my eyes are popping out, I think the Hilton at Penn Station might be a good idea. I think the only draw back might be the price for a car to the pier on Sunday. With any luck I may be able to share a car since there are only two of us. I will dial that in later. Priceline has Hilton at 109. right now non refundable. That would make up for the car price. What do you veterans think about this plan? I read you recommend this hotel. Any drawbacks? Thank you.

Archived