Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

When you book with the Independent Driver when using a Park & Stay, can you go when you want (1030!) or are you on their timetable? Thank you for all the great info...still trying to decide if is worth the $70-80 savings to NOT park at the pier! We will want to get off the ship ASAP to begin our 11 hour drive home and do not want to be waiting around for a ride to get to our car!

Can someone tell me the best route to drive to Cape Liberty port from the Hampton Inn in Secaucus. We will be leaving on Sunday, Sept. 9th. Thanks !!

The easiest route for someone not familiar with the area is to get onto the NJTurnpike South and get off at exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A. When you go through the tolls, go straight across the toll plaza onto a ramp that goes up and curves left. Stay to the right and bear right at every opportunity until you come to the light at route 440. Make a left, stay left and turn left at the first traffic light onto Port Terminal Blvd.

If you pull up mapquest it will send you a shorter mileage route, but it's a truck route with traffic, lights, and opportunities to get lost. I don't know what your GPS will say, but folks have reported that they are not always correct in this area.

When you book with the Independent Driver when using a Park & Stay, can you go when you want (1030!) or are you on their timetable? Thank you for all the great info...still trying to decide if is worth the $70-80 savings to NOT park at the pier! We will want to get off the ship ASAP to begin our 11 hour drive home and do not want to be waiting around for a ride to get to our car!

You can go when you want. Which park/stay have you booked? They are not all equal. Are you going to self disembark?

I think that for a 7 day cruise the choice between parking at the pier and doing a park/sleep is close. Are you coming in I80? I would look at Hotwire for Parsippany. There's a 3* hotel for $56. This would get you off the road a little sooner and leave you in a nice hotel in a suburban area with easy access to restaurants instead of in an airport hotel in a congested area which will have limited eating choices. On a Saturday night the last push to get to Newark could be busy traffic wise. But Sunday morning the drive to Bayonne would be easy and totally under your control. No angst about car services picking you up on either end of the cruise.

The easiest route for someone not familiar with the area is to get onto the NJTurnpike South and get off at exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A. When you go through the tolls, go straight across the toll plaza onto a ramp that goes up and curves left. Stay to the right and bear right at every opportunity until you come to the light at route 440. Make a left, stay left and turn left at the first traffic light onto Port Terminal Blvd.

If you pull up mapquest it will send you a shorter mileage route, but it's a truck route with traffic, lights, and opportunities to get lost. I don't know what your GPS will say, but folks have reported that they are not always correct in this area.

Thank you very much ... that is exactly the information I was looking for. Not interested in ending up on a truck route... I'll see you on the 9th !!

Would that be close to what we would do? From Long Island, NY and have no sense of direction…I can get to the beach and back, to the train for NYC and home. Pretty much it! :oLOL

What part of Long Island? It looks like you're sailing on a Sat. Not as good as Sunday, but better than a weekday.

Tons of road choices from Long Island and we'll have to get some opinions. If you decide to throw money at it and pay the Verrazano Bridge toll, it's easy to come across Staten Island and take route 440 north across the Bayonne Bridge to Port Terminal Blvd. If you don't want to pay any tolls except for the NJ tunnel, we'll have to get some of the New Yorkers to advise.

What part of Long Island? It looks like you're sailing on a Sat. Not as good as Sunday, but better than a weekday.

Tons of road choices from Long Island and we'll have to get some opinions. If you decide to throw money at it and pay the Verrazano Bridge toll, it's easy to come across Staten Island and take route 440 north across the Bayonne Bridge to Port Terminal Blvd. If you don't want to pay any tolls except for the NJ tunnel, we'll have to get some of the New Yorkers to advise.

We have an EZ pass, don't really mind tolls if they are taking us on the route with less confusion. So you think Verrazano into SI to rt 440 no. to B.bridge is my easiest route? Thanks!

That gives new meaning to the term "shoe-be". If you've been to the Jersey shore and you're old-school, you'll know what the phrase means. Good luck getting them through the X-ray machine.

I am a Cape Cod girl and do not know the phrase. care to enlighten me?

So you do not think folded up they will go through the x ray machine? I am not sure why not? So I need to leave them home?

138East...you are the GREATEST!!!!!

Thank goodness we have not booked yet but we had planned to stay on Glimcher Way....we were waiting for others on our roll call to decide so we could plan transportation together!!

We will be coming on I80 and love the idea of not staying in Newark. Parsippany will be a great place to stay, and very inexpensive...I will book on Hotwire right now! Overall we will save almost as much money on the hotel as we pay for parking at the pier. We were planning to self disembark so this plan will get us to our car immediately! This is a perfect solution for us!

A Huge Thank You! Cruise Critic to the rescue!

We have an EZ pass, don't really mind tolls if they are taking us on the route with less confusion. So you think Verrazano into SI to rt 440 no. to B.bridge is my easiest route? Thanks!

You betcha. Easiest and FASTEST GETTING INTO THE PORT. From 440 you make a RIGHT turn. Everyone else coming off the NJ turnpike has to make a LEFT turn. And the wait to make that left turn can take a LOOOONG time. It was designed to not let more than one semi make a left at any one time. Otherwise, 440 gets blocked and you have gridlock.

I am a Cape Cod girl and do not know the phrase. care to enlighten me?

So you do not think folded up they will go through the x ray machine? I am not sure why not? So I need to leave them home?

Back in the day....(60's-70's) visitors from the Philadelphia area that came down to the Jersey shore were called a slang nickname by the locals which was a shoe-be. The area was from Brigantine, which is just north of Atlantic City and it went 40 miles or so to the southern tip of NJ in Cape May. The shoe-be name came about because all of the possessions that a person had would fit in a shoe box. Money, wallet, lunch, soda, etc. This was back in the day before beach bags were in fashion. A shoe box and a towel to lay on were all that was needed to enjoy a day at the beach.

With regards to bringing a beach chair.... I think an inflatable float or lounger would be more appropriate. If you're planning on going to the beach every day you're in a port and just relaxing all day long, go for it. But, I would bring the short beach chair that is low profile, the type that some people take to a lawn section at a summer outdoor concert, not the larger one that most people have. Whatever your decision, have a great cruise!

In Cape Liberty area is there a rental car agency that will except a a one way rental on a Sat. and take you to the pier, and 2 weeks later pick you up at the pier and rent you a car? This is usually what I try to do in Fl Thanks

Enterprise is the only car rental agency in Bayonne and they are open 9-12 on Saturday. Cape Liberty is not Florida. Cruising is a very small part of the area business. Newark Airport has the big car rental business. Folks fly into Newark and rent cars to go where they are going. If you want to get to Cape Liberty you have to pay for a car service to get there.

In Cape Liberty area is there a rental car agency that will except a a one way rental on a Sat. and take you to the pier, and 2 weeks later pick you up at the pier and rent you a car? This is usually what I try to do in Fl Thanks

Enterprise is the only car rental agency in Bayonne and they are open 9-12 on Saturday. Cape Liberty is not Florida. Cruising is a very small part of the area business. Newark Airport has the big car rental business. Folks fly into Newark and rent cars to go where they are going. If you want to get to Cape Liberty you have to pay for a car service to get there.

Not too sure if you can do a one way rental from CT to Bayonne. If you can, then you'll probably have to get a cab from Enterprise to the port. If you can set up a one way back to CT, they of course would have to get you at the ship since their motto is "We'll pick you up".

If it does not work out with Enterprise, then your fall back option would be to drive down in your car and do a 2 week park at a park n stay hotel.

How far are you from Bridgeport or Hartford? Enttours runs a cruise bus stopping in those cities for $100/pp round trip. If you could get a ride to either city, you would save yourself the hassle of driving, gas, and tolls. The bus leaves at 10 from Hartford and 10:30 from Bridgeport and leaves Cape Liberty about 10 am for the return trip.

Archived