Cape Liberty/Bayonne 411 - New and Improved!

megr1125

Can someone from the area tell me how far the Radisson in Carteret is from Cape Liberty and approximate drive time? We stayed there in 2007 when they had a cruise/park package. We really liked the hotel but the cruise port shuttle was a disaster so they have discontinued that. We just want to stay 1 night pre-cruise and plan to park at the pier for our October sailing.

Can someone from the area tell me how far the Radisson in Carteret is from Cape Liberty and approximate drive time? We stayed there in 2007 when they had a cruise/park package. We really liked the hotel but the cruise port shuttle was a disaster so they have discontinued that. We just want to stay 1 night pre-cruise and plan to park at the pier for our October sailing.

According to Google Maps it should be about a 30 minute drive in normal traffic.

And there have been numerous warnings posted here advising against parking there due to questionable licensing and insurance of the operation.

NJHorseman......how about park2go.com....they have an indoor option @ 12.99 + tax/service which would alleviate any concerns about the soot problem from a few weeks ago at the Bayonne port.

NJHorseman......how about park2go.com....they have an indoor option @ 12.99 + tax/service which would alleviate any concerns about the soot problem from a few weeks ago at the Bayonne port.

Do they shuttle to the pier? honestly i would not suggest any off site.parking.....

I was up there thursday...parked.right by the drydock...only for the day mind you but they were not sand blasting nor painting...

That said i saw one possibility for off site ...by ewr...that was (afaik) related to the company in question...

If it were me....i would park at the pier if.i drove

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

Not a place we ever suggest....not a great area...that is why they had a package....however you stayed there.before so yes...30 minutes or so.depending on traffic.....

It is probably a nice place in a mediocre area

Sent from my Samsung Charge via Tapatalk

It's 17.99 per day plus tax for this service if you're going to Cape Liberty. The 12.99 per day price is if you're using their airport shuttle service (although they currently may be running a 12.99 "special" according to their site). You have to reserve and pay for it in advance. I think the major drawback is the time it will take to get to and from the port...particularly because you have to call them when you disembark and wait for their van.

http://park2go.com/seaport-parking

Everyone has been searching for years for cheap parking for Cape Liberty and no one has found the optimal solution. The port itself has had issues with paint spray and now there seems to be some soot. Fortunately the paint spray issues were covered by insurance, so the affected folks did have a financial remedy available to them.

As njhorseman said there are serious questions about the licensing and insurance of Premier Parking. If you search the net, folks have also had some car damage issues with Park2go in the past. The whole area is highly industrialized and IMO you must be very selective about where you leave your car. Even though the port itself is ugly, it is a secured area. The parking is at the end of a two mile access road - just not accessible by random folks off the street.

In the end it's a personal decision as to where you leave your car.

I'm having problems with picking a hotel for my cruise in Oct on Explorer. HELP. I am flying up 2 days early to see New York. I am going by myself and meeting up on day of cruise with my cruise buddy. I have looked at Hilton Garden Inn since the bus stopped there and easy to get to NY. But having problems finding a way to the hotel from the airport. Then from hotel to pier. I read your suggestion for the Hilton Newark Penn. sounds good but I have a tour picked out for NY On Board NY tours and they pick up on 7th Ave and 50th St which is close to where the port authority bus terminal is. Where does the train stop? Also looked at Crown Plaza Meadowlands since the airport shuttle stops there and the price was $32 to the hotel. Any help you have would be great. Pat

I'm having problems with picking a hotel for my cruise in Oct on Explorer. HELP. I am flying up 2 days early to see New York. I am going by myself and meeting up on day of cruise with my cruise buddy. I have looked at Hilton Garden Inn since the bus stopped there and easy to get to NY. But having problems finding a way to the hotel from the airport. Then from hotel to pier. I read your suggestion for the Hilton Newark Penn. sounds good but I have a tour picked out for NY On Board NY tours and they pick up on 7th Ave and 50th St which is close to where the port authority bus terminal is. Where does the train stop? Also looked at Crown Plaza Meadowlands since the airport shuttle stops there and the price was $32 to the hotel. Any help you have would be great. Pat

WHich Hilton Garden Inn??? the one in staten island?? they have an airport shuttle..however, not the most convenient place from which to get to NYC...

The train (NJ Transit ) stops at NY Penn Station which is about 7th and 33rd or so....

Almost all hotels near EWR will have hotel shuttles....even the Hilton Newark Penn Station (there are 2 hiltons...you just have to read the shuttle..)

WHat is your budget for the hotel???

So you are looking for a hotel for Oct 12 & 13? What is your budget? Can you manage your luggage on public transit?

As you've discovered you have to look at the total cost of your hotel plus all the transportation. So what you have to consider is:

1). Hotel cost

2) Transportation from EWR to hotel

3). Transportation from hotel to NYC

4). Transportation from the hotel to the port

I am assuming you are referring to the Hilton Garden Inn in the Meadowlands and not the one on Staten Island.

I will look around for prices for the Hilton Penn Station Newark. The advantage to this hotel is that they have an airport shuttle and train service across the street. There is also an inexpensive public transit and cab option to Bayonne if you want to do that. It would be an easy trip on a Sunday morning.

The train will leave you at New York Penn Station at 32 nd & 8th. You can take the 8th avenue subway two stops uptown to get close to where your tour leaves.

Aa.com has the Newark Penn Station Hilton for about $200/night incl tax.

WHich Hilton Garden Inn??? the one in staten island?? they have an airport shuttle..however, not the most convenient place from which to get to NYC...

The train (NJ Transit ) stops at NY Penn Station which is about 7th and 33rd or so....

Almost all hotels near EWR will have hotel shuttles....even the Hilton Newark Penn Station (there are 2 hiltons...you just have to read the shuttle..)

WHat is your budget for the hotel???

Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus. Budge about $130. also found Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands. good reviews on tripadvisor. Just want to be safe and convenient since I am by myself.About what is the cost from Hilton Penn station to pier? And is it pricy from Secaucus?

Hilton Garden Inn Secaucus. Budge about $130. also found Courtyard Lyndhurst Meadowlands. good reviews on tripadvisor. Just want to be safe and convenient since I am by myself.About what is the cost from Hilton Penn station to pier? And is it pricy from Secaucus?

Expect to pay around $50 regardless...

you can check with http://www.secaucustaxi.com if you're over in the meadowlands area....there are a number of hotels near each other, along with food...and a wal mart that is walkable...that area is not bad at all...business/retail/food basically....and there was some construction....but it's safe..(i think they were building/expanding a parking garage...)

the super shuttle things up there are pretty lousy.....so i wouldn't suggest using them....

secaucus taxi might also be an option to get to the hotel from the airport as well...seems that they charge $35 plus tip....that's a good deal!!

I don't think there is any advantage to staying in a Secaucus hotel and you will pay more money to do so. Aa.com has the airport Holiday Inn for $107 incl tax and the Hilton Newark Airport for $114 incl tax. This is well within you budget. You take the hotel shuttle to P4 and the free monorail out to Newark Airport Station to pay $12.50 each way to NY. Contact RCL to see if you can purchase a transfer from the airport to the port or book a car service for $50-60 to go to the port.

We often recommend Secaucus hotels, but usually to folks who have cars. Yes it might be faster to get into NY but it might not be depending on the bus schedule (or lack thereof on a Sat) and the traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel. Keep it simple - fly into the airport, stay at the airport, take the train to NY, and go to the port.

I don't think there is any advantage to staying in a Secaucus hotel and you will pay more money to do so. Aa.com has the airport Holiday Inn for $107 incl tax and the Hilton Newark Airport for $114 incl tax. This is well within you budget. You take the hotel shuttle to P4 and the free monorail out to Newark Airport Station to pay $12.50 each way to NY. Contact RCL to see if you can purchase a transfer from the airport to the port or book a car service for $50-60 to go to the port.

We often recommend Secaucus hotels, but usually to folks who have cars. Yes it might be faster to get into NY but it might not be depending on the bus schedule (or lack thereof on a Sat) and the traffic at the Lincoln Tunnel. Keep it simple - fly into the airport, stay at the airport, take the train to NY, and go to the port.

those are good rates...the holiday inn is nice....haven't seen the hilton on the inside...intended to do that last week but i didn't have time....

here are some pix of the holiday inn...

Hi we are staying at the Hilton Penn Station NJ before our cruise on Explorer in December, I was wondering if anyone could recommend me some decent taxi / car services that would take us from the hotel to the port (And return when we get back!).

Many thanks,

Melissa

Thanks so much for the responses....you are so helpful and seem to be very knowledgeable. So it sounds like Hilton Newark Penn station is a good option. I was looking at this hotel in the past but struggle with finding information about getting into New York - we really want to see WTC, Times Square, SOL (maybe just on a bus tour), Central Park, Empire state building... any other suggestions given the short time we have?

So that being said - I am struggling with when we get to Newark Penn Station what to do for travel - train? where do we buy tickets? how do I find out all of this information for Newark and NYC. Also how would we get to Carlos Bakery - is that even possible? I think that we would only do this if we get there early or cut short the NYC trip - but question is this doable?

I appreciate your patients and your information.

I guess if Newark Penn is not an option - getting from Airport to Newark - is this possible? Expensive?

The price I quoted for Newark Penn Station Hilton is on Hotwire under named hotels. It is available now but could disappear at any moment. If you are serious about this, you should buy the rooms and pay for them. They will offer you a chance to buy insurance and you should do that if you are uncomfortable with a non cancellable room. Time is of the essence here and you need to make a decision quickly.

The train station is across the street and there are ticket machines to buy tickets with a credit card or debit card or I assume cash. Regular tickets are currently $5 and senior tickets are $2.50. Path also leaves from the train station and there are ticket machines for that as well. When you get to NY the subways will all have ticket machines.

From what I understand there are lines at Carlos' Bakery in Hoboken. You can get there on Path.

Make a hotel decision and then we can work on the details of your itinerary. I think you might do better to go to downtown Manhattan first on Path, see the World Trade Center, walk down to Battery Park to see the SOL, and take the #1 subway from South Ferry to Times Square. Walk east to Rockefeller Center, walk south on 5th Ave to the Empire State, and walk west on 34th St to Macy's. New York Penn Station is two blocks from Macy's.

What am I looking at if we use a Newark Airport Hotel vs Newark Penn Station Hotel? Looks like there is Airtran/PATH from EWR to Newark Penn Station as well...how would this fair for timing? price for transit?

I am sorry to bog you down - you are right we need Hotel first. I am just second guessing the Penn station hotel as I saw a few people comment about questionable parking security??

Originally when I searched transit from EWR to NYC - all the pages seemed to come up with a 'we don't travel there' sort of response - now I think I understand why - Newark Penn vs New York Penn and NJ transit/train/PATH etc vs NY transit/subway/etc.

If you were travelling 8 people with such short time would you go Penn station or airport with only 2 from the airport?

Thank you so much

Thanks so much for all the information. I think I will keep it simple. Pat

Contact the hotel on their 800 number to see what the parking would be. I'm guessing about $20. This would be in a secure facility at the hotel.

The train fares are crazy. There is an access fee for the Newark Airport Station. That can add up to a lot of money for a group of eight.

Newark Airport Station to New York Penn Station - $12.50/$8.75 senior

Newark Airport Station to Newark Penn Station - $8.25/$6.75 senior

Newark Penn Station to New York Penn Station - $5.00/$2.25 senior

So for your group to go from the airport to NYC is $77.50 each way. To go from the airport to just Newark and then path to NY is $73. To go to NY from Newark Penn Station is just $23 and via Path $16. That why paying more to stay at the Newark Penn Station Hilton is worth it. It may end up being about the same money, but it will cut your travel time in half plus it will be a much less stressful trip overall.

Do any of the regulars here have advice on a hotel near the NYC port?

I realize this is the NJ/Bayonne thread, but you've been my 'go-to' for advice on leaving out of Bayonne over the past few years and I know there are a lot of knowledgable posters and trustworthy advice. I thought perhaps you know NYC too being it's so close.

I'd like to book a hotel near the NYC port for our 2/13 cruise in case of inclement weather. If the weather doesn't call for storms, I need to be able to cancel the reservation. We're coming in from central CT and find it easiest/cheapest to drive down the morning of our cruise (as long as it isn't in the middle of a blizzard.)

TIA for any help

Archived