Anytime dining

mercede70

I am not that fond of having to discuss my day with strangers at EVERY dinner meal, is it possible to get a table for 2 in anytime dining? Can this be done with a reservation? :o

You don't say what ship you are one, but if it's the Grand Class ships, then yes. There are several tables for two in the MDR's, and you can make a reservation if you like.

Mike

I am not that fond of having to discuss my day with strangers at EVERY dinner meal, is it possible to get a table for 2 in anytime dining? Can this be done with a reservation? :o

I actually believe there are just as many as our "2 seaters" than there are of the 8-10 seater people!

It used to be somewhat unusual....our last couple of cruises, tables for 2 were on a waitlist IMMEDIATELY!

I really don't care one way or the other--but my hubby does. He said there are plenty of other functions to meet people--dinner is not one. We have always enjoyed dining--just the two of us.

The anytime dining is the same....you will be seated a little sooner if your options are broader--but not a problem. You may have just a slightly longer wait. Just go down earlier than you normally would...instead of having a predinner drink on your balcony (or whereever), consider having your predinner drink at the bar while you wait for your special table!!!!

Enjoy!

Dawn

I didn't find it difficult getting a small table in the main dining room; I tend to eat early though. I certainly can go along with your hubby about not wanting to share dinner with strangers. On rare occasions I might join others at dinner, but it is rare. On my last cruise I ate alone every night of the cruise.

I tend to eat alone, and through dinner, I read, plan on the next days things to do, or go back over what I'd done that day.

On some ships - I think it was the Diamond - tables for two will be alongside the wall with other tables for two. In other words, you may have other people on either side of you.

When the head waiter asks if we mind sharing, we usually say sharing is fine. If we don't feel like talking with others, we don't. It's easy to do and still be polite. Someone will usually ask where we are from. We tell them. Someone will ask if this is our first cruise. We tell them that it isn't. Someone will ask our view on abortion. We tell them. Someone will ask what we think of President Obama. We tell them. It doesn't take long before they stop asking questions and we go quietly about our dinner. Besides, there is usually someone at the table who will dominate the conversation.

If we don't feel like talking with others, we don't. It's easy to do and still be polite. Someone will usually ask where we are from. We tell them. Someone will ask if this is our first cruise. We tell them that it isn't. Someone will ask our view on abortion. We tell them. Someone will ask what we think of President Obama. We tell them. It doesn't take long before they stop asking questions and we go quietly about our dinner. Besides, there is usually someone at the table who will dominate the conversation.

The other question we are always asked is... So what do you do?

I usually respond, "I do just fine - thanks".

I don't want to talk about work or my job when on a cruise... I'm there to get away from that kind of thing.

On our recent Crown cruise, we ate every night at a table for two, just walked up somewhere between 6:30 and 7:30 and asked for one. One night we waited for maybe ten minutes... but other than that we walked right in, no reservation was needed.

On some ships - I think it was the Diamond - tables for two will be alongside the wall with other tables for two. In other words, you may have other people on either side of you.

The Sapphire is the same way. There are 4 Anytime Dining rooms, and most of the tables for 2 are along the wall with a bench seat and 4 tables. They weren't very private, and felt more like tables for 8 to us. The Star, on the other hand, had more private tables for 2 scattered around the dining room. They would even sit us alone at a table for 4. The Dawn was mostly tables for 4 that they put a partition up separating the two halves of the table.

So, to answer the OP's question, you can get a table for 2 every evening with Anytime Dining. The degree of privacy you get varies from ship to ship, though.

when we were on the sapphire last year when ever hubby an i showed up for dinner they always gave us a table for 2 ( we didn't ask) on th enight of our anniversary they first put us at a table for 6 (then moved us to atable for 4 since they needed the table and they realized they had put us one table away from whey they meant to) It would not have bothered me to be joined by other people.

but to answer the OP yes you can get tables for 2.

so with anytime dining you may have to share a table, ok. does that mean you might be sat at a table while people are half way through their meal or vice versa?

No, you will be seated with people who have not ordered their meals.

On the Crown recently on anytime dining. There were 4 of us but we shared most nights and met some very interesting people. There were many tables for two throughout the dining rooms and they seemed to be filled when I took time to notice. We were always asked if we had a reservation or wanted to share so it must be a commonplace event.

Princess tries to meet your every request.

I'm sure you will find dining a wonderful experience.

Archived