Hot Tub Temperature?

I'm hoping to be pregnant by the time my cruise rolls around in September. I *love* relaxing in a hot tub while on vacation. However, I know I'll be limited when I'm pregnant, and will need more like warm-tub or body-temperature tub. Is the temperature adjustable on any of the hot tubs on Freedom? I would never think about turning the temp down with other people in it, but if it was adjustable and we could get in one of the smaller ones alone, that would be awesome.

I'm hoping to be pregnant by the time my cruise rolls around in September. I *love* relaxing in a hot tub while on vacation. However, I know I'll be limited when I'm pregnant, and will need more like warm-tub or body-temperature tub. Is the temperature adjustable on any of the hot tubs on Freedom? I would never think about turning the temp down with other people in it, but if it was adjustable and we could get in one of the smaller ones alone, that would be awesome.

I don't believe that you can adjust the temperature. It is pre-set and not overly warm, IMHO. ;)

My experience on Grandeur was that the hot tubs were hot. On Carnival, they were barely warm. I'm thinking that if they're all like Grandeur I wouldn't risk it while pregnant. They're not adjustable and I personally would just not use a hot tub during my pregnancy. It's just one of those things you give up for a few months. Totally worth it, btw. My "babies" are 24 and 26 and I didn't use a hot tub or a really hot bath while pregnant either because that was the recommendation then too.

My experience on Grandeur was that the hot tubs were hot. On Carnival, they were barely warm. I'm thinking that if they're all like Grandeur I wouldn't risk it while pregnant. They're not adjustable and I personally would just not use a hot tub during my pregnancy. It's just one of those things you give up for a few months. Totally worth it, btw. My "babies" are 24 and 26 and I didn't use a hot tub or a really hot bath while pregnant either because that was the recommendation then too.

Haha that's funny, I've had the exact opposite experience. I've found hot tubs to be boiling on Carnival and not as warm on Royal. Specifically, I found the hot tubs on Voyager and Explorer to be warm but not quite as warm as I would like it. Navigator was boiling. Liberty was just right!

Thanks for all the input! I would avoid them if they were hot, I promise. However, we don't have a good tub at home and being able to be submerged in warm, bubbly water, may feel really good. The pools were absolutely freezing on Liberty last time, so I'm guessing they might be about the same on Freedom. I don't mind giving up alcohol (drink about 1 per month, max) or sushi (only like the veggie or cooked stuff). I do like my vacations, though, and a hot tub is great :-) Just trying to figure out what I can adjust and still not feel like I'm missing out. Anyways, it might be a moot point! We're only *trying* this summer- who knows if it will have happened by September.

I know how you, more like your husband, feels. My wife will be 15 weeks pregnant on our upcoming FOS cruise with some friends and she loves the hot tub also. I know everything she has been told is to not fully submerge her stomach in them. So she is figuring she will sit on the ledge or if they have a seat just put her legs in. It sucks, but at least its only for a few months! Good Luck with everything!

They'll also depend on whether or not they're out in the sun. I was thinking about my earlier post and since realized that those hot tubs on Carnival that I thought were boiling were sitting out all day under the hot Caribbean sun with no cover.

I would strongly encourage you to check with your physician before using a hot tub during pregnancy.

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/hottubs.htm

Hence, the question about the adjustable temperature. I promise, I will ask my midwife every question under the sun, and under the water. I would never do anything to harm the baby, but if I knew the temp was adjustable, and I could get it to just a smidge above body temperature, then I think I'd be fine spending a few minutes in it.

On our VOS cruise in Jan i went in the hot tub. I do like hot water but oh my it was hot. I was told it is 105 F to kill germs. I had to sit on the side from time to time. I asked a cruiser are all the hot tubs this temp and she said yes. The rest of the cruise i chose not to go in . That was a bit hot for me.:eek:

Freedom does have a number of hot tubs and most of them are around 10o-101. I'm a very experienced tubber (see whatsthebest-hottub.com) and I can quickly guess the temp of a tub to within 1/2 degree every time. On one night they closed the solarium for a teen party and we went to one of the tubs in the main pool area and the pool personnel forgot to turn on the air jets, which tend to cool the tubs, and that tub went up to around 105, which you don't want to get in if your very far along. Keep in mind hot tubs tend to draw blood away from your inner core, so check with your doctor

I don't believe that you can adjust the temperature. It is pre-set and not overly warm, IMHO. ;)

On Freedom, and Voyager class ships, it pays to walk around, you can find a variety of temperatures at any given time. We like tubbing around midnight, you usually have your choice and can find a warm one. The problem is, sometimes you scout out the warm one and that is the one they drain at night.

I think this a medical question - so I would ask my doctor.

It's not a medical question. I asked if they were adjustable, not what I should and should not do when I'm pregnant. I'm not sure what she would say if I asked her if the temperature of the hot tub on my cruise ship was adjustable.

It's not a medical question. I asked if they were adjustable, not what I should and should not do when I'm pregnant. I'm not sure what she would say if I asked her if the temperature of the hot tub on my cruise ship was adjustable.

This is making me smile! My guess is all the responses you've gotten about checking with your doctor are from parents. We just can't help ourselves. You will understand shortly!

Thanks for all the input! I would avoid them if they were hot, I promise. However, we don't have a good tub at home and being able to be submerged in warm, bubbly water, may feel really good. The pools were absolutely freezing on Liberty last time, so I'm guessing they might be about the same on Freedom. I don't mind giving up alcohol (drink about 1 per month, max) or sushi (only like the veggie or cooked stuff). I do like my vacations, though, and a hot tub is great :-) Just trying to figure out what I can adjust and still not feel like I'm missing out. Anyways, it might be a moot point! We're only *trying* this summer- who knows if it will have happened by September.

Good attitude. As one person said, they thought you shouldn't be in the tub if its over 100. Freedom does have something like 10 hot tubs and my experience is they vary considerably in temperature. If you have been sitting down resting, your hand can be a fairly good measuring device. 100 basically feels neutral, not hot or cold. I have found over the years I can stick my hand in a hot tub, or usually my whole self and tell the temp accurately to within 1/2 of a degree. But once your pregnant ask your doctor. My last child was born 26 years ago (see signature) and thoughts change, but I do run a hot tub forum (whatsthebest-hottub.com) and we get that question a lot.

Archived