okay or not okay?

ViolaSwamp

Took my 19 year old twin "boys" (i.e. young men) on a cruise. Figured since they had to register with Selective Services at 18 to potentially fight for their country and are considered old enough to be drafted, or to enlist, they are old enough to have a beer or two while on vacation with their parents!:cool:

Took my 19 year old twin "boys" (i.e. young men) on a cruise. Figured since they had to register with Selective Services at 18 to potentially fight for their country and are considered old enough to be drafted, or to enlist, they are old enough to have a beer or two while on vacation with their parents!:cool:

I'm with you on that one for sure.

my girls were 20 last year on our trip and i let them have a few drinks. it has nothing to do with what state we're from, or what country we were in. they were with us on vacation having drinks at dinner or walking the lido with us, not a big deal. actually in my review link, there are pics of them with their drinks.

i do believe in the age 21 drinking laws, but i also know the reality.;)

ac4xon.jpg

Yep, and your son looks like he's about to chum on the lower decks.

Love the graphic! :D

My question was not to seek validation, but to ensure there are no drink ****s that would put a kibosh on my plan. I'm not sure why they would want to rip themselves off of that drink revenue, from a responsible and well-behaved party of four, but you just never know!

Responsible wouldn't let her underage child drink.

Why you're at it why not give her some pills or something to smoke, just a little won't hurt.

I agree with whoever said they might allow in Coz or somewhere where it's legal to drink at that age but not on the ship. I think one of the most important things we teach our children is yes the rules and laws do apply to them wether they agree with them or not. So no I wouldnt' do it on the ship but your the parent and you'll do whatever you are comfortable with.

Responsible wouldn't let her underage child drink.

Why you're at it why not give her some pills or something to smoke, just a little won't hurt.

Underage where? In the middle of the ocean? There is no international drinking age. And do not try to equate a drink with pills or marijuana which are illegal no matter the age.

holier_than_thounuts.gif

LMAO still going.. how many times can someone say 21 is the rule on Carnival.. and if you feel your children being of age in other states or provinces can drink.. can we have:D:p

Just watch your kid.. is all I have to say.. there are more rowdy unruly adults on most cruises that I have been on:rolleyes:

Wow - what a turn this thread took - back to topic - it is up to you as a parent to allow or not allow what you want. Yes it is against their policy. We are from Ontario where the drinking age is 19 - we allowed out son to drink at 20 on the ship and we took full responsibility. Our daughter when she ordered was ASKED for ID and she was 23 even though she had an SS card that showed her to be of age. You are going to get the "go for it - it is your holiday" ones "you are the parent - you decide" ones "you are going to rot in hell and eternal damnation" ones etc etc. And then you get the ones who go from popcorn - to the Simpsons who add nothing to the thread - so decide what you want. I see nothing wrong with it.

Wow - what a turn this thread took - back to topic - it is up to you as a parent to allow or not allow what you want. Yes it is against their policy. We are from Ontario where the drinking age is 19 - we allowed out son to drink at 20 on the ship and we took full responsibility. Our daughter when she ordered was ASKED for ID and she was 23 even though she had an SS card that showed her to be of age. You are going to get the "go for it - it is your holiday" ones "you are the parent - you decide" ones "you are going to rot in hell and eternal damnation" ones etc etc. And then you get the ones who go from popcorn - to the Simpsons who add nothing to the thread - so decide what you want. I see nothing wrong with it.

Oh! A canadian Simpsons Hater!! I am calling homeland security and stopping you at the border, hating the Simpsons is un-American! What was this thread about again?:)

Its against the rules, blah blah blah.

Bottom line. I have never seen on the last 3 cruises anyone drink servers or Gestpo walking around carding people holding drinks.

PS-my grandma gave me a drink of wine at age 10 in a restuarant. I didn't want anything to do with alcohol until my sophomore of college and thats b/c I discovered Smirnoff Ice. A 10 year olds idea of what wine should taste like= Welche's grape juice.......what wine actually tasted like to a 10 year old=rotten grapes.

I still prefer dessert wine. :D

I took my first cruise with my then boyfriend (got engaged on that cruise and married on the next) when I was 19. We would order our drinks and he would just hand the server his card. No issues at all. Also, he would go to the bar and order his drink and mine and bring it back to me. Once I had a drink nobody really questioned me on getting another.

Same thing on the second cruise when I was 20. (AND MARRIED) We almost got caught when DH pulled the wrong S&S out of his pocket and the bartender was like, "Is this heather" I figured he saw that I was under 21, so I just said, "nope, that's our friend traveling with us. No pockets in the bikinis!" He just laughed and my DH handed him the other card and we went about our business.

For the most part it won't be hard to get drinks for the daughter on the ship, but if you're doing a port intensive cruise, then maybe let her have the sea days as no-booze days, that way she can remember her vacation!! LOL

Oh! A canadian Simpsons Hater!! I am calling homeland security and stopping you at the border, hating the Simpsons is un-American! What was this thread about again?:)

Love it - ya I am Canadian and ya I am a Simpson hater to boot. It is totally an adult cartoon and meant to be tongue in cheek but many watch it and think it is okay for kids to be like that -including my son who loved it. I am as American as you - after all aren't we the 51st state.

My daughter was 19 on our last cruise and I would not allow her to drink on the ship because it was against their rules. However, when we were in Aruba I did allow her to have a daiquiri at a bar because it was allowed there. Just one though because I do not encourage drinking.

Rules are rules.

Love it - ya I am Canadian and ya I am a Simpson hater to boot. It is totally an adult cartoon and meant to be tongue in cheek but many watch it and think it is okay for kids to be like that -including my son who loved it. I am as American as you - after all aren't we the 51st state.

I am Canadian and a Simpson hater too. My son is 19 and legally allowed to drink in our Province. If he wants a drink on the ship in August on our cruise, I don't have a problem buying one for him. He is not a child but a legal adult and a very responsible one at that. To the OP have a great time and make some memories with your daugther.

To the OP, go ahead and give your daughter the drink and don't worry about what people might think about it. If a Carnival officer does happen to come and ask her age, and they say that you can't do that, then take the drink back from her. It probably won't happen. I'm an adult, but I look about 17, and have never been asked for ID for the free drinks on my cruises. I helped a recently married couple, both 19 at the time, get set up for a honeymoon cruise. They had a couple drinks on their cruise, and they didn't even have their parents with them. These are also great people who made great decisions growing up. I agree that they should be rewarded for that. Although I must say that my Pepsi and Mountain Dews taste so much better than any alcholic drink I've ever had.

More than you know, I'm from Maine, its about as much a province as a state!

Please refer to my other response that said I am not looking for validation but rather confirmation that there aren't Drink Gestapo out there looking to cause a scene.

And no, she doesn't drink at home - but then, neither do I, really. It's mostly a travel/special occasion thing. The last time I drank was New Years Eve. The last time she drank was a couple of months ago, she and a few friends took the train into Montreal and had some beers - where it is legal in Canada (18+). So please do not make assumptions.

ya think?;) you're probably right, yet my parents didn't think i drank either when they weren't around & im sure my two 20-somethings managed to slip a few forays past me. Best any of us can hope for is raise them the best we can (im a classic underachiever & proud of it, man:))

Not to spoil your fun, but I was on the Liberty in February and did see a security officer taking a bottle of beer away from 2 underage kids. One was a boy, 19-20 maybe, the other was his girlfriend, she looked 17-18. The security officer spoke to the adults with them and also informed bar staff (this was on the Lido deck) not to serve them anymore.

Personally, I was glad to see it, although they did intrigue me, as they were with a set of parents (not sure if his or hers, but thinking his), and I just can't understand this line of thinking... but then again, I have always been afraid of breaking the rules... just me, I guess. But really, these kids just seemed too young for drinking.

!

sounds as though security was employing CYA measures...if the kids got in trouble not out of realm of possibility that guests (parents/those affected by kids) could instigate legal action.

Why not just allow the parents to sign an iron clad waiver permitting their over 18/under 21 yo's to drink if that's the case in international waters? Although that might just teeter back into the underage party ship rep they've managed to put behind them.

jmho, if a parent wants their over 18 yo to have a glass of wine @ dinner, that's their personal decision. NCL (non hawaii/alaska) allows it if parental units sign off on it. DCL used to, not sure if they've changed policy.

My guess is that even though the cruise line would make more bar profits if they let parents sign a waiver to allow 18-20yo drink, it would not be a large additional profit because that age group is a small % of the total passengers on the ship.

As other posters have said, straight up allowing 18+ drinking on board would bring back the stereotype of the 'party hard' cruise line, which is the last thing Carnival wants. They might not enforce their rules to a tee, but don't expect Carnival to peel back the drinking age anytime soon.

Archived