Elite/Platinum lounge

Dorset Cruiser

Since this is new' date=' guess not many know about [b']Suite, Elite and Platinum Lounge perk. [/b]

Sincer there is an invitation to this in the cabin of those eligible, they do not know about it only if they do not read.

On one ship last year, there was a special invitation delivered to the cabins every day, and the lounge was still unpopulated.

We also really enjoyed the lounge, for several reasons, none having to do with either food or drink. In our case we met several other travellers with whom we were very compatible and as a result had a lot of group fun both on and off the ship. Without this special happy hour I doubt we sould ever have met them on a big ship like the Grand. The Skywalker tends to be a quiet place anyway when the DJ is not working, and during the happy hour the same was true. There was lots of conversation and laughter. It also made a nice place to watch sailaway on teh port days, in the company of friends and other cruisers with similar time invested in Princess. For those looking for free drinks or super special treatment you won't find it there, but we did get to know the bar and dining staff pretty well and they definitely gave us good treatment (translate - heavy drinks!)

I agree with those who say take it for what it is and enjoy yourself. After all you are on vacation.

There are so many "quiet" places to sit and have a conversation on the Coral. If you are not in a party mood don't ruin the fun of others. Also, the staff has an obligation to both those that want to party and those that don't. Everybody cruises for different reasons.
I agree completely. But there's a big difference between looking for a quiet lounge for some conversation and having a lounge set aside for a specific group of passengers where six to eight people make it impossible for others to enjoy. These people were in more than a "party mood" every night. I don't mind laughter and the sound of people enjoying themselves. I think that's great. But when they are screaming and shouting in voices like bullhorns every single night, so bad that they make it uncomfortable for anyone else to enjoy this priviledge, that's a bit much. Once they started coming to the lounge every night, no one else did. The last three nights of the cruise, they were the only ones in the lounge whereas the first few nights, it was full.

If you are eligible then you should receive an invite in your cabin.
You should, but you don't. I didn't nor did several other people I met.

Sincer there is an invitation to this in the cabin of those eligible, they do not know about it only if they do not read.

On one ship last year, there was a special invitation delivered to the cabins every day, and the lounge was still unpopulated.

We never received an invite on our CB cruise last year..:cool:

True, but then they don't warn you that a bunch of drunks will be screaming and shouting with hysteria, either. Some of them brought the term, "horse laugh", to a new level. Most lounges without scheduled entertainment are generally quiet.

Perhaps now that Platinum are allowed in, there is a younger group attending. They probably don't realize how loud they seem to some.

The Coral has a very old demographic. People as they age can become very sensitive to some noises. A loud laugh can come across as grating. MUTS can seem blaring to some, while to others they hardly notice it.

The CD staff on the Coral are quite young. (loved Lucy, Sebastian and George) They probably loved hearing a bit of partying for a change.

Pearl

I have been at platinum status for quite awhile and I sailed on the CB last June and didn't receive an invitation.

When did this start?

I am sailing on the CB again this June.

MARAPRINCE

It started last March, but initially was for suites and Elites. Platinums were added in the fall,

Perhaps now that Platinum are allowed in, there is a younger group attending. They probably don't realize how loud they seem to some.

The Coral has a very old demographic. People as they age can become very sensitive to some noises. A loud laugh can come across as grating. MUTS can seem blaring to some, while to others they hardly notice it.

The CD staff on the Coral are quite young. (loved Lucy, Sebastian and George) They probably loved hearing a bit of partying for a change.

For one thing, it was a different CD staff; they were older and IMHO, ineffective. Among the poorest I've seen in a long time. The Coral's demographic depends on the itinerary; you'll find an older demographic on the 15-day trans-Panama Canal cruise and a younger demographic in Alaska.

As for a loud laugh, I know the difference between annoying and ear-shattering. The people "partying" were probably in their 60s and not from the U.S. It really was more than partying... it was intrusive, obnoxious and beyond annoying, with constant screaming and screeching, probably the sound equivalent of being at the finals during March Madness with the teams tied during the last 10 seconds of the game. It wasn't "partying;" it was way beyond that, i.e., a group of drunks out of control.

Edited by Pam in CA

For one thing, it was a different CD staff; they were older and IMHO, ineffective. Among the poorest I've seen in a long time. The Coral's demographic depends on the itinerary; you'll find an older demographic on the 15-day trans-Panama Canal cruise and a younger demographic in Alaska.

As for a loud laugh, I know the difference between annoying and ear-shattering. The people "partying" were probably in their 60s and not from the U.S. It really was more than partying... it was intrusive, obnoxious and beyond annoying, with constant screaming and screeching, probably the sound equivalent of being at the finals during March Madness with the teams tied during the last 10 seconds of the game. It wasn't "partying;" it was way beyond that, i.e., a group of drunks out of control.

I was just offering this as an explanation. Sometimes we just don't see the big picture.

We get so complacent in our lives we become very intolerant of others. (Apparently, this was not the case.)

BTW. Not sure what not being from the US had to do with anything.

Pearl

• 7 years later...
I don't see any problem with family members joining in it is just a social. Also it would mean that I can go as a Plat but my wife who is Gold could not!

To my knowledge, family members travelling with a Platinum or Elite member in the same cabin or together in a Suite, are allowed to accompany you to the Platinum/Elite/Suite gathering.

if I've misunderstood, someone with more knowledge will clarify, and I'll learn something new! :D

Edited by crochetcruise
Clarifying information

Sorry about bringing up this old thread but it has me curious. Is there a Platinum lounge on the Grand Princess? I don't remember seeing or hearing about it. Or is this a thing of the past?

Wow. Most unusual for someone to acknowledge (or often to even realize) that they are responding to a really old (in this case 7 years old) thread. Nice preface to your inquiry. :)

We enjoy the P/E/S lounge. I love going on Stilton night. The Port served as the drink of the day really goes well with Stilton.

Unfortunately, on the Coral this past January, it was anything but quiet. There was a group of passengers who must have started drinking early so by the time we got there, they were incredibly loud and obnoxious. You know how it is in a sports bar with people drinking and screaming to cheer on their team? It was very much like that. It was so bad, people who wanted to go to the lounge got appetizers and went elsewhere, which they weren't supposed to do but it was impossible to stay. They drove everyone else out the lounge every night. The waitstaff couldn't say or do anything. We repeatedly reported it to the Captain's Circle Hostess and Cruise Director's staff but whenever they stopped by, the people quieted down. When we asked them to please hold it down so we could enjoy talking to our friends, they yelled at us: "You haven't drunk enough."
Time to bring back "Walking the plank" :D

• 4 weeks later...

I recall the drink specials being cosmopolitans, rob roys, margaritas, 20-year old port, and I've drawn a blank now on the others. Apps were giant shrimp (my favourite oxymoron!), smoked salmon, beef tartare, guac & chips, to name a few.

We became platinum on our last Princess cruise, in 2016. We enjoyed $5.00 drinks and outstanding hors d'overs every evening in the Skywalker's lounge. I recall drinking "Chairman of the Board" cocktails made with Chivas Regal, for $5 each. After a couple of days, I told them just to skip the mixes and just give me the Chivas on ice. The servers were happy to oblige. Always charged $5.00 ea, even for the refill. I never tried for the three-peat; after two it was hard enough to walk to the dining room!

Just recently off the star princess. And none of the regular drinks we're normally offered in the elite Lounge we're on the list. It was all brand new drinks that are not on the regular menu. They were pretty good. The food was really good. I did see a post on Facebook about someone complaining that they were using us as guinea pigs to see what drinks we ordered. I don't care. When we were in a suite only they meticulously checked our card for room number, now that we are Elite they just glance at the black card. I would imagine there would have to be some discussion about getting family members in without some holding a card that qualifies. Just to guess. We would like to know how he might be traveling with other people soon.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

We are platinum and will be on Golden Princess in July to Alaska from Seattle. We will be travelling with some family members who have only cruised with Princess once before. Will they be able to come into the elite/platinum lounge with us?

My wife’s cousin has in the past no problem.

Tony

I think Princess knows that the Elite Lounge is a non-starter and let's sleeping dogs lie. I think just about anyone who shows up can imbibe. Compared with Celebrity, Princess Happy Hour is a better deal, we only go when they have margaritas.

We became platinum last cruise on the Crown. Went there a number of times and nobody ever asked to see our cards.

BTW, the drinks are no longer $5, they are $6.50 and the drink menu is completely changed. No more favorites, Chairman, cosmo, el major, rob roy, etc... unless you pay full price. New drink menu is odd, to say the least.