Princess Cays skipped 3/19

geoherb

We're skipping Princess Cays today on the Crown. Sungirl posted this to her live thread, but some people who may want to know may not be reading it. It's the high winds blowing from the west that made it to rough to tender.

We first heard word about the possibility of not making it to Princess Cays last night. Captain Andy Proctor gave Sungirl a noncommittal answer about trying in the morning, but that the winds were from the west. He did try this morning. They sent one tender over and back. I could see it bobbing and rocking in the waves.

The worst part is that it looks like Holland America's ship was able to make it to their private island. At least I think it was a HAL ship we just passed.

The activities staff has added a lot of different activities. They're printing new Patters.

Wow, sounds like Princess Cay is hexed these days! We made it to shore with no problems on February 12 (on or about!) from the Crown Princess, but coming back to the ship in the afternoon was a different story! The waves had really kicked up and the tenders were bounced around quite a bit. I'm sure glad we made it to shore, though, as it was a lovely day!

The worst part is that it looks like Holland America's ship was able to make it to their private island. At least I think it was a HAL ship we just passed.
Sometimes, location is everything. Several years ago, we had to skip Grand Cayman due to weather but there were several passengers who had missed the ship and were there to board. We went over to the other side of Grand Cayman where they launched a tender to pick up the passengers. I'll be at Half Moon Cay in just under two weeks. :)

If you miss Princess Cays, you haven't really missed a thing. After you go once, you'll see why a lot of experienced cruisers stay on the ship. Unless you're into baking in the sun, not much there.
I agree completely. I'm making an exception for my HAL cruise where I've booked a cabana with a butler package. This is the only time I'll ever do this.

We missed Grand Turk last April on the Grand and although it was very disappointing, we did understand that it was due to safety. I also hope it calms down soon as our "first time" visit to Princess Cays is in 4 weeks and it will be our last stop on the 10 day Ruby cruise. It looks like a nice relaxing Sun day if the weather cooperates. :cool:

Sometimes, location is everything. Several years ago, we had to skip Grand Cayman due to weather but there were several passengers who had missed the ship and were there to board. We went over to the other side of Grand Cayman where they launched a tender to pick up the passengers. I'll be at Half Moon Cay in just under two weeks. :)

We had the same thing happen on the Crown this past Christmas cruise, as the weather was too bad to stop there. However, there were passengers that missed the ship at FLL and flew there to board, and I think there was an entertainer who was boarding as well. We didn't go to the other side of the island though, just lowered a tender and sent it out. We watched for an hour or so as they went over and stayed for a while and eventually came back. The weather was really rough that day.

Mike

I agree completely. I'm making an exception for my HAL cruise where I've booked a cabana with a butler package. This is the only time I'll ever do this.

Pam, if this is the first time you've booked a cabana at Half Moon Cay you may find that it won't be the last time. We love the cabana's at Half Moon Cay and consider it well worth the cost to enjoy a wonderfully special day on the island. We didn't have the butler package but I'm sure that would be nice.

We were at Princess Cays on March 9th and while we enjoyed relaxing on the beach (we didn't do a cabana there and glad we didn't) its not anywhere near as nice as Half Moon Cay in our opinion.

We were at Princess Cays on March 9th and while we enjoyed relaxing on the beach (we didn't do a cabana there and glad we didn't) its not anywhere near as nice as Half Moon Cay in our opinion.

I agree. I'm not a beach person, but HMC was an order of magnitude nicer than PC, which was also very nice. Plus HMC has shore based tenders which carry more people than the ship based tenders at PC, so they get the rush of people over quicker.

With all the cruises lately on the Western Itinerary that have seemed to miss at least one port or had bad weather in one port, makes me even more grateful for the absolutely lovely weather we had on the Crown in November. It was probably the smoothest sailing in 14 that I've done. I guess you just never know.

Have fun on your sea day tomorrow.

As has been said, Captain knows best. Its not necessarily the rough ride going over, its the getting on and off at the ship. We were at HMC in the fall and had a wonderful day including the private cabana. This was the first time at any of the private islands other than Labadee that we did not use the lifeboats. I have to say I much prefer the larger tenders. The problem for Princess is that they designed the inlet and the harbor for the lifeboats. They would have to widen the inlet and enlarge the harbor and dredge to accomodate the larger shore tenders. They might fit in now, but given the wind at that end of the island, no Captain would risk it.

I would love to see more of them take Disney's approach and build a pier. I believe the one at Labadee is done (or soon should be).

Mike

We missed Grand Turk last April on the Grand and although it was very disappointing, we did understand that it was due to safety. I also hope it calms down soon as our "first time" visit to Princess Cays is in 4 weeks and it will be our last stop on the 10 day Ruby cruise. It looks like a nice relaxing Sun day if the weather cooperates. :cool:

I know that the Ruby was ok to get their passengers there a week ago... the end of Feb cruise. My co-worker told me allll about it! lol

Wow, sounds like Princess Cay is hexed these days! We made it to shore with no problems on February 12 (on or about!) from the Crown Princess, but coming back to the ship in the afternoon was a different story! The waves had really kicked up and the tenders were bounced around quite a bit. I'm sure glad we made it to shore, though, as it was a lovely day!

Yeah, but remember the wind in Cozumel? Wow! We had wind all week in the western caribbean.

Someone in another thread that I frequent posted a photo from HMC and it looked gorgeous -- the beach/water looked much nicer (read: less rocky, no water shoes required) than Princess Cays. I can't wait to hear your report: are you doing a Live From or a post-cruise review? Do I now have to start haunting the HAL board?

If skipping Princess Cays was due to safety reasons than I applaud Princess for making that decision! Having been in a "tender accident" a number of years ago in Cabo San Lucas due to rough seas, I really do see this as the smart decison. Those individuals on our tender, cut by broken glass and adrift at sea trying to return to the Dawn Princess, I'm sure would agree!

Someone in another thread that I frequent posted a photo from HMC and it looked gorgeous -- the beach/water looked much nicer (read: less rocky, no water shoes required) than Princess Cays. I can't wait to hear your report: are you doing a Live From or a post-cruise review? Do I now have to start haunting the HAL board?

Yes, it is almost as rock-free as a beach can be. I walked out into the water what seemed halfway to the ship before the water got up past my waist and it was smooth sand all the way.

I think when they built Half Moon Cay, one of the workers asked the foreman what to do with the rocks, and the foreman said to go throw them over on Eleuthera since nothing would ever be built over there LOL.

Yes, it is almost as rock-free as a beach can be. I walked out into the water what seemed halfway to the ship before the water got up past my waist and it was smooth sand all the way.

I think when they built Half Moon Cay, one of the workers asked the foreman what to do with the rocks, and the foreman said to go throw them over on Eleuthera since nothing would ever be built over there LOL.

Too funny! It's so disappointing, too, when you compare PC to the eastern side of Eleuthera, which has amazing clear water, pink sand, and nice soft, sandy bottoms (I mean the seabed, not the bathers). Princess really picked a dog there. . . .

Archived