Is It OK to Cruise Caribbean in July?

wangy26

We are thinking about taking Western Caribbean cruise in July since this is the only time that fits my kids school schedule. I don't know how hot the weather will be during that time and if hurricane will be a problem. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

We've been in June and July, no problems either time with heat or storms impacting port. We did have rough seas a few years ago for one night during a thunderstorm made it a little hard to walk but we slept like a baby :D

We are going on a bahama cruise this July. Dont' expect any problems from it either.

The ship will be re-routed to avoid any hurricanes. It will be hot but it will be perfect weather for water sports and romantic tropical evenings.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCCL - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ‘09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

A hurricane can occur anytime during the summer months on through November...you can worry about it and miss a great time, or enjoy yourself. The cruiselines will avoid storms as much as possible and are generally fast enough to out run them. The great thing about cruising in the summer are the tradewinds that are pretty nice when hiking on the islands and on the beach. Enjoy the trip, eat what you like, see everything.

I've cruised twice in July and had wonderful weather and seas both times. One thing that I've learned from fellow CC members is that you have no control over the weather. Plan your cruise and go and enjoy. If it's bad weather consider it bad luck.

A lot of how it feels to you will depend on what weather you get in your area. Here summer days can easily be over 100 and the humidity is awful so it feels great to me. Much better than here. If you are use to cooler weather it may be uncomfortable. Be sure you drink plenty of water and use your sunscreen.

It will be hot, and humid, but that is what a Caribbean vacation is supposed to be! I am doing a B2B in August, much more chance of hurricaines then, and I am not at all worried. The ships have such great technology that with enough warning, they can alter their course and avoid most bad weather.

Thank you all so much for your inputs. We did an Eastern Caribbean cruise 6 years ago during Thanksgiving time. I remember it was so hot walking in San Juan street it was almost unbearable. But other port of call the weather seemed fine during that time.

We live near Washington DC. I just wonder how the weather in western Caribbean compares to weather here in July.

Thank you all so much for your inputs. We did an Eastern Caribbean cruise 6 years ago during Thanksgiving time. I remember it was so hot walking in San Juan street it was almost unbearable. But other port of call the weather seemed fine during that time.

We live near Washington DC. I just wonder how the weather in western Caribbean compares to weather here in July.

The heat from sunlight and being nearer the equator will make it hotter.

The DC area has politicians generating hot-air. The equator might actually be cooler.:)

It's gonna be hot. There will likely be a nice breeze. Beer helps a lot.

Expect hot and humid weather at every port. I live in the Deep South, where hot and humid weather haunts me for eight months each year. Multiply my hot and humid by two for a normal day in the Caribbean. Hurricanes should not be a problem (the last two years have been pretty mild), but 2004 and 2005 broke some records. Trip insurance is a good thing!

We are doing the dream (carnival) July 17 and I hope its hot as it can be!! :) Live where its cold a lot now, so head is always something we look for! Son is getting married on the beach in st thomas so we hope for no rain but have an indoor plan should that happen...we actually have had good weather on every single cruise we have been on....have a wonderful time!!

Sure it is! Hurricane season is from June 1st to Nov. 1st....prime cruising time! Most of our cruises have been during that period. Only once did we experience really rough seas and the hurricane wasn't even nearby!

Go and have fun! :D

Posters above have mentioned cruise ships detour if the weather is bad enough to be dangerous. I don't think any have pointed out (tho' it may be obvious) that means missed ports of call.

It's fairly rare for another port to be substituted for the cancelled one. Instead, you're more likely to have an unexpected sea day, a refund for port fees on your ship's account, and sometimes a complimentary round of drinks from the Captain to console you.

Posters above have mentioned cruise ships detour if the weather is bad enough to be dangerous. I don't think any have pointed out (tho' it may be obvious) that means missed ports of call.

It's fairly rare for another port to be substituted for the cancelled one. Instead, you're more likely to have an unexpected sea day, a refund for port fees on your ship's account, and sometimes a complimentary round of drinks from the Captain to console you.

Yep. And all of that beats driving a ship into a hurricane. :)

Yep. And all of that beats driving a ship into a hurricane. :)

No argument here. :D Been there, done that - grateful to the captain.

Just wanted to spell it out for the OP. It's never a good idea to get too "married" to the notion of visiting any particular port when cruising the Caribbean between June and November.

Edited by fann1sh

I'm not sure about "don't worry, you can't predict the weather, just go and have a good time" attitude (sometimes paired with "you'll be fine") being right for everyone (it is definitely right for some). If you're definitely going, and aren't flexible on dates, and will accept the possibility (not probability) of bad weather, and will accept the probability of hot weather, you can at least do some research to plan your trip. You can certainly find Web sites, books, etc. that show when hurricanes most often occur and where. I saw one site that said, for example, that in July hurricane formation shifts to the Lesser Antilles (I don't know if it's true). I'd do some research and looks at average temps in various places you're considering visiting, as well as odds on bad weather, then decide for yourself. What one person considers acceptably hot another would consider oppressive (and vice versa). Personally, I'd rather go someplace like Alaska or New England or northern Europe in July, but that's me.

Edited by Fattony