Is It OK to Cruise Caribbean in July?

wangy26

August, Sept, first Part of Oct are the months to worry about - Seas are kicked up in the winter far worse than they are in the summer. Especially this winter.

Temps are going to be like the deep south in the middle of summer, hot and humid, make sure you drink plenty of water, use your sun tan lotion and look for coconut trees in the islands for shade. Have a great cruise.

July is low season for Caribbean cruises. You might want to check out RCCL for their departures out of San Juan that cater to the South American market and has lots of Spanish speaking guests.

Aunty Pat

Barefoot Windjammer - Phantom ‘81

K&D German Rhine Line ‘84

NCL - Norway ’85, Pride of America ’05, Southward ’87, Star ’97 & ‘05, Starward ’92, Sun ’02 & Windward ’93

RCCL - Song of America ‘89

American Hawaiian - Independence ‘98

HAL - Volendam ’99, Noordam ’06, Oosterdam ’07 & ‘09, Statendam ’02 & ‘08, Prinsendam ’03 & ’06, Westerdam ‘09 & Zuiderdam ’04, ’06 & ’07

Carnival - Spirit ‘05

Celebrity – Summit ‘05

Cruise West - Yorktown Clipper ‘06

Princess - Golden Princess ‘07

A & K - East Queen ‘07

Cunard - QM2 ’08

Crystal – Serenity ‘09

I can't imagine it being much worse than a hot sticky Georgia summer.

Trust me.....it is.

I'm from Georgia; have cruised the Caribbean 3x in summer. One to W. Caribbean in August (almost passed out visiting the Mayan ruins inland), one to W. Caribbean in May (so hot that DS refused to get off the ship in Cozumel), and once to E. Caribbean (rained for 3 of 7 days, including miserably during our "swim with the rays" excursion in Cayman).

We still had a great time, but summer is not my favorite time to visit the Caribbean...

• 7 years later...

We did a Caribbean cruise (b2b) that past July -- yes, it was hot, and humidity was crazy -- but, just keep drinking water all day, and you'll be fine. On a tour from Costa Maya, the tour company had two guides with us -- one to do the actual guiding, and another with a backpack style cooler filled with cold, bottled water who followed us everywhere, continually replenishing our drinks and taking our empties to avoid littering problems. Funny thing, neither of them seemed to be sweating nearly as much as us! I guess they're used to it?

May be more crowded due to school vacations but still an enjoyable time. It's hot and humid at home as well but I would rather be on a ship with a nice ocean breeze.

We're booked in August and that's what I was going to ask about. When on the ship, isn't it more manageable from the breeze? Last time we sailed in April and I was slightly chilled by the pool from the breeze (although great breach days).

We are thinking about taking Western Caribbean cruise in July since this is the only time that fits my kids school schedule. I don't know how hot the weather will be during that time and if hurricane will be a problem. Your input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

I might not spring for a balcony cabin....it may be too hot to sit out there.

• 3 months later...

I'm so glad this Thread is reopened. I'm considering taking my family of ten on a Caribbean cruise for July 2019 to celebrate my 60th and I am s*## scared of rough weather. We are a family that will suffer from sea sickness if too rough. My husband and I choose to sail the Mediterranean most of the time because it has always been calm for us. I'm so tied between giving the Caribbean a go and not taking the risk at all. Coming from Australia is very costly in flights and with cruise costs included it would be such financial loss and disappointment if this special occasion turned into a huge disaster. So please, please, please anyone doing the MSC Seaside Caribbean, Cuba and Antilles cruise from Miami or any Caribbean cruises in July this year please let me know how it goes. So many conflicting official information about the weather in July, I just don't know what to believe. Look forward to hearing from you current cruisers in the Caribbean. Hope you are all having a wonderful time.

Edited by sofistic8ed
Missing words.

I'm so glad this Thread is reopened. I'm considering taking my family of ten on a Caribbean cruise for July 2019 to celebrate my 60th and I am s*## scared of rough weather. We are a family that will suffer from sea sickness if too rough. My husband and I choose to sail the Mediterranean most of the time because it has always been calm for us. I'm so tied between giving the Caribbean a go and not taking the risk at all. Coming from Australia is very costly in flights and with cruise costs included it would be such financial loss and disappointment if this special occasion turned into a huge disaster. So please, please, please anyone doing the MSC Seaside Caribbean, Cuba and Antilles cruise from Miami or any Caribbean cruises in July this year please let me know how it goes. So many conflicting official information about the weather in July, I just don't know what to believe. Look forward to hearing from you current cruisers in the Caribbean. Hope you are all having a wonderful time.

Having completed an entire season working in the Meddy, and many other voyages both working and as a pax, I can assure you Meddy cruising isn't all smooth sailing. One year we lost the gangway in the Adriatic, bound for Venice.

Yes, in the Caribbean in July you run the risk of experiencing a Tropical Revolving Storm (TRS), but the probability is low and the impact on cruises is extremely low. Unfortunately, only you can assess the risk factors and determine if they meet your comfort level.

In July, if concerned with the Caribbean, you may wish to consider a midnight sun, Baltic cruise or around UK.

Believe me Wowzz we'll be escaping a very cold and even wetter winter. We have all the four seasons in Australia and where I live, South Australia, we experience very cold to very hot seasons. Hot and humid with warm rain is wonderful as we have enjoyed this many times in Bali.

Believe me Wowzz we'll be escaping a very cold and even wetter winter. We have all the four seasons in Australia and where I live, South Australia, we experience very cold to very hot seasons. Hot and humid with warm rain is wonderful as we have enjoyed this many times in Bali.
Totally understand your weather situation, but if I wanted to escape the winter in the UK I'd be looking for a warm, dry, sunny destination, and whilst the Caribbean will be warm, the humidity will be just as bad as Bali. Plus, as it is the off season, quite a few bars, restaurants will be shut.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app