Which former Royal Caribbean ships do you wish you could sail on?

Which Royal Caribbean ships do you wish you could sail on?  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Which Royal Caribbean ships do you wish you could sail on?

• Song of Norway
    • Nordic Prince
    • Sun Viking
    • Song of America
    • Sovereign of the Seas
    • Empress of the Seas
    • Viking Serenade

I'm long overdue in starting a new poll; I haven't started one in several months! :eek: :D How dare me! LOL

Song of Norway,1970*

Nordic Prince, 1971

Sun Viking, 1972

Song of America, 1982

Sovereign of the Seas, 1988

Empress of the Seas, 1990**

Viking Serenade, 1990***

* - The Song of Norway was Royal Caribbean's first ship!

** - Empress of the Seas was the "Nordic Empress" before being renamed in 2004.

*** - Viking Serenade entered the Royal Caribbean fleet in 1990, but was built for Scandinavian World Cruises in 1982.

I selected the Empress & Viking Serenade only because those were the only ships on the list I had not sailed on. On the other side of the coin I was never interested in sailing on them because they were not truly RCCL ships

You're right about the Viking Serenade (Originally a Ferry), but Empress of the Seas was built for Royal Caribbean. She was designed to do the shorter cruises.

OMG :D Viking Serenade had todays Chops type food in the MDR. The filets were delicious...and full size Maine lobster tails. I couldn't believe how great the food was on my first cruise....which was only about 20 years ago. :o

You're right about the Viking Serenade (Originally a Ferry), but Empress of the Seas was built for Royal Caribbean. She was designed to do the shorter cruises.

Hey Dylan! Any news on hopefully going on your first cruise yet? Sorry for going OT.

Although the Empress of the Seas, nee Nordic Empress, first went into service as an RCCL ship she was originally ordered by Admiral Cruise Lines as the Future Seas and was still under construction when RCCL merged with Admiral in 1987. When construction was completed she joined the Royal Caribbean fleet as the Nordic Empress. As previously stated, the Empress was designed for shorter cruises and was also used for cruises to Bermuda since she could fit into both St. George's and Hamilton Harbours. She also did extended exotic itineraries in the Caribbean during the winter since she could dock in smaller ports. I sailed on her five times, four to Bermuda and once in the Caribbean.

Hey Dylan! Any news on hopefully going on your first cruise yet? Sorry for going OT.

Nope. :( My Mom isn't making enough money, and her boyfriend (who lives with us) doesn't have a job. My dad is broke, and it doesn't look like he will be getting any extra money anytime soon, either. (I think the reason he's broke is because of that $700 a month truck of his!)

I sailed on the Empress, a few years later she was gone. :(

I sailed on the Sovereign, and then she was gone also :confused:

I hope y'all aren't too attached to the Serenade 'cause she's my next "victim" :eek:

Dylan Hang in there.......

You are a fixture on CC and Maybe somebody will be nice enough to send you and your Mom on a cruise......Once you get on Board, I know you will go NUTS.........If I lived in Texas.....I would spring for your trip.....Cross your fingers, maybe something GOOD might happen to you....Have a great weekend!

Mike

Hey Chris, back on the Mariner in 6 weeks and then our turn on the Oasis, Can not wait! :)

Mike

Good poll!

It was a toss up between Song of America and Empress. Song was the forerunner of RCCL's mega-ships with that distinctive Viking Crown funnel wrap. Empress, because of her Centrum, felt a lot bigger.

Fortunately, we can still sail aboard those ships under different names and owners. :)

I voted for Sun Viking because she is the only one of the original three RCI ships we didn't sail on. Nostalgia aside, however, I'm not sure I would especially enjoy the compact staterooms or the outside stairway that led to the Viking Crown Lounge that only had a 180 degree view. Our first cruise with RCI was on the Song of Norway after she had been stretched and we have sailed on every class of ship built since then, each one building upon the successful features of the previous class and adding new features each time.:)

Here are the poll results as of my 1,500th post! (This post)

Song Of Norway: 14 votes, 28.00%

Nordic Prince: 4 votes, 8.00%

Sun Viking: 3 votes, 6.00%

Song of America: 16 votes, 32.00%

Sovereign of the Seas: 10 votes, 20.00%

Empress of the Seas: 14 votes, 28.00%

Viking Serenade: 3 votes, 6.00%

I have to vote for Viking Serenade because she was in port on my various Baja cruises.

For different reasons, I ended up on the competitor lines.......Norwegian and Carnival.

I always told myself one day I would sail on her, and then, poof, she was gone.

Of course, there was a 5-6 year lag between cruises.:(

My first Royal Caribbean ship was Monarch.

Here are the poll results as of day 2:

Song of Norway 16 votes/ 27.59%

Nordic Prince 4 votes/ 6.90%

Sun Viking 3 votes/ 5.17%

Song of America 19 votes/ 32.76%

Sovereign of the Seas 12 votes/ 20.69%

Empress of the Seas 17 votes/ 29.31%

Viking Serenade 4 votes/ 6.90%

Song of America became the Sunbird owned and operated by Air Tours, sailed on her out of Aruba. The Sunbird is now the Thompson Destinity.

We sailed on Song of America after she had been sold to Air Tours and leased back to RCCI for a year. She was already outfitted internally with the new Sunbird motif. It was a refreshing change as she had been showing signs of neglect on our previous cruise. We really miss the 7 night cruises to Bermuda.

Nordic Price was my first, but the Sun Viking was amazing, she was so small and on a 14 day cruise, everyone, staff and passengers, knew everyone by the end of the first week, and it was one big happy family the second week. The food and service was 4 star. You felt like you were the most important passenger, not like you were just another passenger in a long line of passengers. Our cruise was the only cruise to the staff, not just another cruise, with another ship full of people.

I was only 15, there were no special programs for kids, you were expected to be with the adults and to behave like an adult. Dress in formal clothes (long dresses for girls, suit & tie for boys). Eating dinner with your parents in the MDR was a privilage and FUN not a boring ordeal.

I still love cruising and cant wait until the next one, but I do miss the old days!!

Archived