Middle name on documents?

Sherry84

I have a question about using your middle name on documents. I've been hearing if your plane/cruise reservation doesn't match EXACTLY to your passport, they won't let you board. Is this true? I was reviewing everything last night and realized that my passport has my full middle name listed, my license has my middle initial and my reservation has just my first and last name because I NEVER use my middle name so I didn't even think to add it. I have traveled like this many times before but I recently heard a rumor that they will require the name to match exactly and now I'm getting very nervous because we have 2 cruises booked in the next 6 months. Thanks :o

I'm pretty sure that has been discussed here before. I don't have an answer for you. But perhaps a search here will help, or calling the cruise line.

I mean really, if some stranger on the web tells you "No, absolutely not" will you be confidant of it?

Big Steve, I did a search because I remembered reading something about it, but I didn't find an answer. I'm worried about the airline as well as the ship. Maybe it would be best to call my travel agent, hopefully they will have an answer.

Big Steve, I did a search because I remembered reading something about it, but I didn't find an answer. I'm worried about the airline as well as the ship. Maybe it would be best to call my travel agent, hopefully they will have an answer.

Please let us know what they say. NCL has my reservation as "Steve" my Passport and D/L both say "Steven." My agent noticed it, but didn't think it would be an issue. Hope I don't find out the hard way.

I'm not in a position to give you a good answer. But I've seen written here that a middle name spelled out on one document, and a (correct) intial on another is not a problem. Wouldn't know about a missing intial though.

LOL I don't have a middle name. You wouldn't believe the looks I get from officials when I say that.

Please let us know what they say. NCL has my reservation as "Steve" my Passport and D/L both say "Steven." My agent noticed it, but didn't think it would be an issue. Hope I don't find out the hard way.

I'm not in a position to give you a good answer. But I've seen written here that a middle name spelled out on one document, and a (correct) intial on another is not a problem. Wouldn't know about a missing intial though.

LOL I don't have a middle name. You wouldn't believe the looks I get from officials when I say that.

No middle name is not that unusual. Both my mom and husband don't have one! I will call tomorrow and get this all sorted (hopefully!) and post it. :) This way we'll both know the answer BEFORE we get to the airport!

I remember reading a thread about this a while back. It made me nervous because we have an international flight booked and they only used first and last names on the tickets. Our passports also have middle names. I called the airline and they said that they could not alter the names once the ticket was booked. They did make a note of our middle names that they will have in a remark section. They said the biggest problem is if you book a ticket using a middle name or nickname. With all the new security measures, it will be best to book as your name exactly appears on your passport. Hope this helps.

My passport always has my full name (middle included) on it and when I book reservations, I just use my first and last name. If it calls for a middle initial, then I pop that in, but I've been to many places on this planet and has not been an issue.

I only know about 2 airlines- Alaska Airlines and American Airlines- require your full name spelled out- I always book directly with Alaska Airlines- and they require your full legal name- (I just made reservations on last Monday) and our travel agent just booked some American Airline flights- and was required to put in our full legal names. She made the reservations- a week ago Friday.

Prior to your trip- I am sure that you can change to the full name- to be on the safe side- you should use your full legal name as is on your passport.

She has not said anything about our cruise reservations. But she has the names, so if required- will change when necessary.

If you drivers license is not your full legal name- I am sure that the issuing agency will allow the change to conform with today's travel requirements.

Appears to be the world we are living in-

My driver's license and passport use my first name, maiden name, last name. I have always made flight and cruise reservations omitting my maiden name using just my first and last names. There has never been a question from airlines or cruise companies when flying or cruising.

My driver's license and passport use my first name, maiden name, last name. I have always made flight and cruise reservations omitting my maiden name using just my first and last names. There has never been a question from airlines or cruise companies when flying or cruising.

The airlines now require the name on your reservation to match that of your government-issued ID.

As long as there is no difference between the names that appear it should not be a problem. So, for example, Alfred Smith on one document/booking and Alfred T Smith on another should be fine.

My travel agent tells me that cruise lines only cares about first and last names and that omitting the middle name and/or initial is quite alright.

However, it seems that things are tightening up and it wouldn't hurt to book everything using one's name exactly as it appears in one's passport.

According to the TSA website:

"Small differences between the passenger's ID the passenger's reservation information, and the boarding pass (such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, hyphens or apostrophes) should not cause a problem for the passenger."

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/secureflight/

I was worried about this too.

According to the TSA website:

"Small differences between the passenger's ID the passenger's reservation information, and the boarding pass (such as the use of a middle initial instead of a full middle name or no middle name/initial at all, hyphens or apostrophes) should not cause a problem for the passenger."

I was worried about this too.

Best post of the thread! :D

Mummble, I agree with Big Steve! Feel much better now! Also, talked to the airline this morning and the gentleman I spoke to added my middle name "just in case" but he said it shouldn't be a problem! Happy cruising :D

My wife has given me many sleepless nights, she refuses to answer to her first name, and it was not until 2008, that she had it on her passport, don't ask me how she managed it!!! We had a few minor delays at times, since the booking name, and her passport were not always the same.

Now at long last I can book a cruise in safety, although, I have to be careful with my own, I have two middle names, but my credit cards only let me have one.

john

I find the info about American Airlines requiring a full name very interesting.

I have AA reservations for October and called about 3 weeks ago to check because they did not have our middle names.

AA told me that 'they don't require the use of middle names'.

Think I'll give them another call. Maybe 'they' don't but it looks like the TSA would like it that way

And along the same lines, we just flew Delta. Our reservations were quite interesting. We were booked as

dianemiddlemrs lastname

DHfirstnamemiddlemr lastname

I have a question about using your middle name on documents. I've been hearing if your plane/cruise reservation doesn't match EXACTLY to your passport, they won't let you board. Is this true? I was reviewing everything last night and realized that my passport has my full middle name listed, my license has my middle initial and my reservation has just my first and last name because I NEVER use my middle name so I didn't even think to add it. I have traveled like this many times before but I recently heard a rumor that they will require the name to match exactly and now I'm getting very nervous because we have 2 cruises booked in the next 6 months. Thanks :o

I believe you will be fine. I have however, been hearing more talk about airlines getting a lot more stricter stating that if your driver's license and/or passports have your middle names on them, then all ticketing must eventually match.

I just recently booked a cruise with Carnival, my middle name is Denise, when I was looking at my docs online I had noticed that my middle name was only spelled as Deni, so I called them because my passport spells out my middle name, I was told that it was because they can only use so many alphabet characters so that is why it was shortened, as long as Karen was my legal 1st name and my last name was also I would be fine, I was a little worried because I would hate to travel all the way to San Juan only to be denied boarding.

I am worried about my elderly parents cruising on Celebrity Solstice in May. The TA has misspelled my father's name on the cruise reservation. The first time she put his middle name as his first and left middle name blank. Do you think this will be a problem for him if his middle name is spelled differently than on his passport?

At times I wonder how closely passports are looked at. My present one [2008], I showed at least four times, flying to, and changing 'planes in the US, and boarding ship. Imagine my surprise when I looked at it on my return to Canada. I HAD NOT SIGNED IT!!!:D

john

I just recently booked a cruise with Carnival, my middle name is Denise, when I was looking at my docs online I had noticed that my middle name was only spelled as Deni, so I called them because my passport spells out my middle name, I was told that it was because they can only use so many alphabet characters so that is why it was shortened, as long as Karen was my legal 1st name and my last name was also I would be fine, I was a little worried because I would hate to travel all the way to San Juan only to be denied boarding.

My TA gave me a similar answer when I asked her about the need for the full name (as required when we applied for our passports) for our upcoming RCI cruise. Our reservations contain only first and last name.

She also said that the requirement for airline tickets to include the full legal name - including middle name spelled out - was only for international flights. On flights within the 50 states, our tickets were ok with first name, middle initial, and last name. Both our passport and drivers license contain our middle name (not just an initial). The airlines did want a middle initial if there was one.

Don't know for sure if it's "law" but the airlines want the passport/ID and ticket name to be listed the same. I'm sure someone will have the exact answer for you but I don't think you'll have any problem.

Don't know for sure if it's "law" but the airlines want the passport/ID and ticket name to be listed the same. I'm sure someone will have the exact answer for you but I don't think you'll have any problem.

It's called the Secure Flight Program, it is the law, and you can read about it here:

You are correct...the TSA wants the name on your airline reservation to match the name on the government ID you'll be using.

The key word in the title of this program is "Flight"...it applies to airlines only.

It has nothing to do with how your name appears on a cruise reservation. The cruise lines don't care about your middle name, nor does your ID have to precisely match the cruise reservation. Mine never does...my passport has my full middle name, but my cruise reservations never do.

Archived