Warning for All the Ladies!!

Girls,

Those "salon quality" hairdryers that are highlighted as part of the Oosterdam stateroom amenities are so pitiful. The are like travel dryers from 1982. Not at all powerful or hot.

I have short, thick hair and it took at least four times as long as the great dryer I have at home. Its attached to the desk (I guess in case your are tempted to steal this little beauty) and so its very ackward to use as well.

I called the front desk to beg for anything else but the lady told me that those were all that was available on the ship.

So take your own, even if you think you'd rather take another pair of shoes instead. It is just not worth it.....

I suspect that the dryers are underpowered intentionally. Remember ladies, the greatest hazard on board a ship is not the water, it is fire! Overheating circuits could lead to..........

I've generally found 2 hairdryers in the cabin--one on the wall in the bathroom (at least on the R/S-class ships) and the one in a drawer at the desk. I've only used the bathroom one and on my heavy hair it's just fine. I'm sorry it didn't work out for the OP.

I've generally found 2 hairdryers in the cabin--one on the wall in the bathroom (at least on the R/S-class ships) and the one in a drawer at the desk. I've only used the bathroom one and on my heavy hair it's just fine. I'm sorry it didn't work out for the OP.

Yes, we too have usually found 2 hair dryers on the R & S class ships, but the one in the desk was not attached.:confused: It's usually in a bag in the drawer & is plugged it into the European electric outlet..

I don't have thick hair, but have used both the one attached to the wall in the bathroom & also the one which was in the desk drawer...They both worked well for me although I prefer to use the one at the desk..

Does anyone know if there are two dryers in the Noordam cabins?

Cheers...:)Betty

Well, I'm 50-50 on HAL's hairdryers. First HAl cruise on the Eurodam, it worked just fine so the one I'd packed stayed in the suitcase. Then, on my second HAL cruise on the Zuiderdam the dryer had poor power and very inconvenient to use as it was hard wired inside a side cabinet on the desk and had a very short cord. Wish I'd packed my own dryer that trip.

I have fine short hair and most hotel hairdryers are perfectly adequate for me, even if the power isn't as robust as my own. It was the awkard usage of the dryer on the Zuiderdam that made it unacceptable. I'll pack my own from now on so I'll have a backup in case I run into another setup like I had on the Zuiderdam.

The ones in the drawer have always been fine for me, but they've never been hardwired to the desk. They always came in a little bag and plugged in to one of the outlets by the desk mirror.

The one in the bathroom however? Worthless!

The ones in the drawer have always been fine for me, but they've never been hardwired to the desk. They always came in a little bag and plugged in to one of the outlets by the desk mirror.

I, too, liked the one in the bag on the Eurodam. However, I was surprised to find on the Zuiderdam that it was hardwired into a side cabinet on the desk...with a very short cord. Oh well, I certainly made do but vowed to bring my own next time just to be on the safe side.

I always bring my own dryer. On the last day of our January cruise, I was drying my hair with my nice and hot dryer, and set off the smoke alarm. I learned that if you set off a smoke alarm in your cabin, you WILL receive a call from the bridge. :rolleyes:

My experience with hotel/ship hair dryers that I tell my hair stylist "Wash and wear styles only." I'm lucky my hair is medium thick, naturally wavy, and I am not too embarrassed to go out with it still kinda damp.

Girls,

Those "salon quality" hairdryers that are highlighted as part of the Oosterdam stateroom amenities are so pitiful. The are like travel dryers from 1982. Not at all powerful or hot.

I have short, thick hair and it took at least four times as long as the great dryer I have at home. Its attached to the desk (I guess in case your are tempted to steal this little beauty) and so its very ackward to use as well.

I called the front desk to beg for anything else but the lady told me that those were all that was available on the ship.

So take your own, even if you think you'd rather take another pair of shoes instead. It is just not worth it.....

I have been reporting for years how the hair dryers were not powerful.

Could it be that Oosterdam has new hairdriers and that is the problem. Must say the ones on Rotterdam and the Prinsendam worked fine for me though on other ships (not HAL) I often take my own having found them underpowered.

I usually take my own, but I have used the dryers provided, and I have found that it you unscrew and take off the attachment on the tip of the dryer, it makes it a bit more powerful. The dryer in the bathroom is only good to dry the mirror in my opinion.

I've generally found 2 hairdryers in the cabin--one on the wall in the bathroom (at least on the R/S-class ships) and the one in a drawer at the desk.

Does anyone know if there are two dryers in the Noordam cabins?

Cheers...:)Betty

The Vista and Signature ships don't have the bathroom dryer.

And the ones on the S- and R-class ships are being removed as the cabins are renovated. :(

I agree with Sage that the bathroom dryers are good for clearing off the mirror, but see that as a plus. I'm sorry to see them go.

Just got off the Noordam and had no problem with the hair dryer in the room. I do have short, fine hair, however. Also used the one [on the wall] in the ladies locker room at the gym - it wasn't as powerful and got rather hot to hold, but worked just fine.

Archived