spirit airlines to charge for carryon bags

CtheW0rld

You can only blame the price blinkered consumer. Those who search on the basis of 'walk on the plane' fare alone without considering the other costs they may choose to incur; checked bags, express boarding, food, alcohol et.c ad nauseum...

I think there are a few on this forum

Change fees, pet fees, etc. Invariably these are less expensive on SW.

Non-competitive airlines chose to unbundle services - those that the consumer expected and had previously been included, since that was the only way they could compete on price, They hoped the consumer would fail to notice the scam until it was too late. The scam succeeded for a while.

I think there are a few on this forum that continue to try to sell the scam.

Unfortunately, you also are posting some wrong information too. TWA did not actually go bankrupt, AA purchased them. Also, you can have 2 carry on type bags on AA. This info is coming from spouse who works for AA.

Sue

Actually, they did -- for the third time, in January 2001.

[source: http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/11/news/11iht-twa.2.t_1.html?scp=3&sq=bankruptcy%20twa%202001&st=cse]

At a New York news conference, American confirmed a widely anticipated agreement to purchase TWA for dollars 500 million as part of a deal that involves TWA's bankruptcy. American would also pay about dollars 1.5 billion for 20 percent of U.S. Airways operations in a deal that would help United Airlines gain federal approval of its proposed acquisition of U.S. Airways.

As part of the deal, TWA, the eighth-largest U.S. carrier, filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection from creditors. It had gone a dozen years without posting an annual profit.

Scott.

The Airlines, like the cruiselines, should just charge for the price of the ticket what they need to charge to cover expenses and make a profit for shareholders. Nickle and diming infuriates customers. Both the airlines and cruiselines are doing this to excess now so they can advertise low fares to get people to book in the first place.

We as customers usually get what we deserve. It really is too bad. If a plane ticket should cost $300 to cover expenses and return a profit then charge $300 for the plane ticket. If a cruise fare should cost $1,000 to cover expenses and return a profit then charge $1,000. The nickle and diming is what aggravates people.

And if there are customers who cannot afford the $300 plane fare or the $1,000 cruise fare, then they should make alternative arrangements for transportation and vacations.

I'm not sure who made you the voice of pricing. I personally like the ala carte system - if you don't want it don't pay for it, pretty simple:) I don't go to all you can eat deals cause one plate and I'm done. It is my choice not to go so I don't lose money. I don't want to subsidize some one elses alcoholic consumption in an A/I scenario. I also think (having seen this in A/I resorts) it also leads to more drunkenness than ala carte because you don't have to worry about paying that bar tab at the end of the trip:eek: "Nickle and diming" only aggravates those who expect something for nothing or don't do their research ahead of time. Be a responsible traveler and know what you're booking, again not that difficult. I just compared a Spirit flight and a SW flight. Round trip from DC to FLL - Spirit is $101 per person round trip. SW is $207 per person round trip. Even with baggage fees (wouldn't be paying carry-on charges, cause I understand the definition of carry-on) I still come out way ahead and it's a 3 hr flight, think I can do without the soda and pretzels thank you very much;)

Non-competitive airlines chose to unbundle services - those that the consumer expected and had previously been included, since that was the only way they could compete on price, They hoped the consumer would fail to notice the scam until it was too late. The scam succeeded for a while.

I don't understand how letting you pick what you want to pay for is a scam.

If I take my car for a service and they say their cheapest service is $1000 when all I need is an oil change...or I can pay $250 plus whatever parts/service I need. Which one is the scam?

What I've said all along is consider all of the costs your journey will incur when making a purchase. In some cases Southwest will offer the best deal, and in some cases the legacy carriers will. Just because the legacies unbundle the costs doesn't mean they're ripping you off or are more expensive.

Can anyone list the airlines who don't charge for any baggage AT ALL? Thanks!

Good luck with getting that information. I think several of these posters here that aren't with the consumer on luggage and not being charged for it are working for the airlines. At least that's how they come across. They are too pro at charging us for EVERYTHING.

Now, to answer your question. The only one I know of not charging for 2 pieces of checked luggage at this time is Southwest. They know how to take care of their customers as well as realizing the traveling public does need luggage.

Change fees, pet fees, etc. Invariably these are less expensive on SW.

Your right on that. There are SEVERAL that try to sell that scam. It's annoying.

Good luck with getting that information. I think several of these posters here that aren't with the consumer on luggage and not being charged for it are working for the airlines. At least that's how they come across. They are too pro at charging us for EVERYTHING.

Now, to answer your question. The only one I know of not charging for 2 pieces of checked luggage at this time is Southwest. They know how to take care of their customers as well as realizing the traveling public does need luggage.

The reason there haven't been more responses to that question is that the poster didn't specify what they're looking at - many airlines have different domestic vs. international baggage requirements. For example, United charges $20/bag domestic, but international travelers are allowed 1 piece of free luggage.

There's simply too many airlines to list all of their policies.

Your right on that. There are SEVERAL that try to sell that scam. It's annoying.

Rational thinking, informed decisions, dispassionate financial analysis, understanding concepts such as elasticity of demand -- yep, sounds like a scam to me. :rolleyes:

The reason there haven't been more responses to that question is that the poster didn't specify what they're looking at - many airlines have different domestic vs. international baggage requirements. For example, United charges $20/bag domestic, but international travelers are allowed 1 piece of free luggage.

There's simply too many airlines to list all of their policies.

United charges $25 per checked bag on domestic travel.

SWA (my favorite airline), has no charge for two checked bags. A year or so ago, I was at curbside check-in with only one checked bag, and the lady behind me had three. Since we were both flying to the same destination, I asked the check-in agent if the lady behind me could utilize my second free checked bag. "Sure!" says he! No problem at all. (The lady behind me treated me to a yummy Starbuck's Frappacino during our layover in PHX). It worked out well for everyone.

Remember the TV show "Airline"? (The show featured SWA) On one segment several years ago, a mother showed up with like 6 kids and 10 large boxes of belongings. Two of the kids were under age two, so did not pay for tickets. The Mom and the other four kids did pay for tickets, and since they each got two free checked bags.....thus the 10 boxes. So, for the price of five one-way tickets (which are often sold by SWA), the entire family was able to re-locate to their new home with all of their belongings. I felt kind of sorry for this Mom, but someone had done their research, and this seemed BY FAR the cheapest way to move an entire family!

I think I posted this somewhere else, but here's food for thought:

A fare of $145 which includes a carry-on is subject to govmt. taxes and fees.

A fare of $100 is subject to govmt. taxes and fees, but the $45 for a carry-on is not.

Which would be cheaper?

I think I posted this somewhere else, but here's food for thought:

A fare of $145 which includes a carry-on is subject to govmt. taxes and fees.

A fare of $100 is subject to govmt. taxes and fees, but the $45 for a carry-on is not.

Which would be cheaper?

The one that uses the longer runway.

I stand corrected.

Thanks. I'm not looking forward to my added $50 flying r/t on United in a few months, but am undergoing therapy to deal with it. :) I normally fly SWA, but due to timing and plane changes and other things, I'm flying Untied - um, United - for the first time in several yeaers.

SWA (my favorite airline), has no charge for two checked bags. A year or so ago, I was at curbside check-in with only one checked bag, and the lady behind me had three. Since we were both flying to the same destination, I asked the check-in agent if the lady behind me could utilize my second free checked bag. "Sure!" says he! No problem at all. (The lady behind me treated me to a yummy Starbuck's Frappacino during our layover in PHX). It worked out well for everyone.

That's awesome. Helping a fellow passenger. Love it.

There are SEVERAL that try to sell that scam.
Let me see if I've got this straight.

Is it a scam for an airline to charge a $140 for a one-way ticket, which includes one piece of checked baggage?

Would it be a scam if the same airline were to change its policies, so that it charges $100 for a one-way ticket on exactly the same flight, on which you have to pay a $25 fee if you choose to check one piece of baggage?

Which of those two offers is the better value? And, between them, which one would you choose?

Let me see if I've got this straight.

Is it a scam for an airline to charge a $140 for a one-way ticket, which includes one piece of checked baggage?

Would it be a scam if the same airline were to change its policies, so that it charges $100 for a one-way ticket on exactly the same flight, on which you have to pay a $25 fee if you choose to check one piece of baggage?

Which of those two offers is the better value? And, between them, which one would you choose?

Good point. I think that's what I was trying to ask.

You have got to love Spirit CEO's explanation as to how wonderful the charge for carry-ons is and how it will benefit the flying public. (I received his explanation in an e-mail) Glad I no longer fly Spirit!

You have got to love Spirit CEO's explanation as to how wonderful the charge for carry-ons is and how it will benefit the flying public. (I received his explanation in an e-mail) Glad I no longer fly Spirit!

So....where's the e-mail from Spirit with the explanation? I've only flown on Spirit once, r/t from ATL - FLL, in the days of yesteryear. No extra fees, non-stop, everything was on time, and no problems. It was much cheaper than AirTran (my usual carrier for this route). Guess those days are long gone!

I am pretty much computer illiterate so I don't know how to get an e-mail onto this site. Is there anyone out there who does know how to do that? I'm sure there are people on this board who get e-mails from Spirit and know how to post it. Sorry, thought others would have received same e-mail and could comment on it.

I am pretty much computer illiterate so I don't know how to get an e-mail onto this site. Is there anyone out there who does know how to do that? I'm sure there are people on this board who get e-mails from Spirit and know how to post it. Sorry, thought others would have received same e-mail and could comment on it.

Thanks.

Do you know how to copy and paste? Copy the Spirit e-mail and paste it into the post.

It is embarrassing to admit but I do not know how to cut and paste. Our son and daughter-in-law used to walk me through everything then leave me written instructions but they moved to Texas (we're in NJ). I'm really not that old just have very little computer background and no formal instructions. (Or perhaps no patience to learn!)

Archived