spirit airlines to charge for carryon bags

CtheW0rld

I read an article in the Wall Street Journal about new boarding category with Southwest. If I remember correctly, you pay $30 extra in your confirm registrations ahead of time, and they assign you a seat so you can pre-board. After all these paid pre-boards, they start with group A.

They do not assign a seat. It works as follows.

Positions 1-15 in Group A are kept for those who pay the highest fare which also has another perk or two. They will board first and thus have their pick of seats.

At 24 hours and one minute before departure time, the Southwest computers will assign positions after A1-A15 to those who have paid an extra fee to get an early position in the line. The order for these people will be in the order that they paid the extra fee online.

At 24 hours before departure time, all others on that flight may sign in online and obtain their position number which will be after the above two groups.

I booked NWA CLE-MIA FC. GOT DL Skymiles # 2 weeks after I booked it in September. Then my NWA Worldperks miles were Skymiles in Oct. Then our FC was not FC DL CLE-CIN, which is Covington VW airport in a mini jet. Then we are FC to MIA and not free booze anymore. No meal served either. No hot towels. We did get Diet Coke & vending machine munchie packs from a basket.

Irish folks are complaining when their RYAN AIR charges $2 for bathroom visits. Spirit must be ready to do that also but they will charge $5.

And in Dec, 2009, booked NWA for Boston for March, 2010 (had cruising friends getting married), in Feb, 2010 Delta changed my flight to a Delta flight...first class had a full meal, hot towels and free drinks. All my NWA Worldperks were changed to Delta Skymiles in Feb. So what are you saying? Being the main hub for the former NWA, we do have some news before the rest of the world, including CLE!

And in Dec, 2009, booked NWA for Boston for March, 2010 (had cruising friends getting married), in Feb, 2010 Delta changed my flight to a Delta flight...first class had a full meal, hot towels and free drinks. All my NWA Worldperks were changed to Delta Skymiles in Feb. So what are you saying? Being the main hub for the former NWA, we do have some news before the rest of the world, including CLE!

I'm with you. The post makes no sense at all.

Ron

IMHO...I think all this crap started when the airlines started to charge for check in luggage....DUH!!! If the airlines would automatically add the $15.00 per person on to the cost of the flight...and have everyone check one piece of luggage (weight limits enforced) then we would not have all this cramming/stuffing luggage into the over head bins...DUH--->AGAIN! Why the airlines ever started this entire problem just created more problems which we are having to deal with now! GEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!:rolleyes:

They started it because they were losing so much money and knew that we would not go for higher airfares so tried this way. I hate it now with all the time it takes to get carry ons put of the bins.

Does anyone worry that the overhead bins will be empty and in case of emergency all that lose stuff under the seats will become missles?
Bags that are under the seat in front of you are adequately restrained in the case of an accident. That is why that is an approved place for stowage.
If the airlines would automatically add the $15.00 per person on to the cost of the flight...and have everyone check one piece of luggage (weight limits enforced) then we would not have all this cramming/stuffing luggage into the over head bins.
The problem with that is that airlines are operating in a market in which if you offer customers a choice between:-
  1. A $100 ticket with a $25 baggage fee; and
  2. A $120 ticket with no baggage fee;

the customers usually go for the first option.

Why? Because "it's $20 cheaper". That is why there are so many additional fees appearing.

I completely understand why they do this. We fly frequently and my airline of choice is JetBlue since they have TVs to occupy the kids, they don't charge you to check a bag, and they have this other thing that seems to have gone by the wayside...customer service!! When we have the displeasure of flying anothing line, it takes FOREVER to board because everyone is trying to shove their rollaways into the overheard, clogging up the aisle and completely stalling the boarding process. There is nothing more irritating to me than the idiots standing in the aisle trying to configure themselves in their seats and figuring out where to cram ALL their bags/purses/rollaways and THEN they gotta take off their coats and put those in the overhead too! Meanwhile, they seem to be completely oblivious to the fact that they are holding up an ENTIRE plane of people??!!!? The patience level flight attendants have is nothing short of saintly, because I would be going off on people left and right for their stupidity. Although, I do have to say, the sassiness and comments under the breath of the flight staff have gotten funnier and funnier in recent years. Has anyone else noticed this?

I wonder if they've lost money due to planes leaving late because of this (and the inevitable fights about having to check their rollaway under the plane since there is no more room in the overheads) and then the plane arriving late and people missing their connections? Or maybe the flight attendants banned together and told them to figure out a way to stop the madness which makes their jobs immeasurably harder.

I flew Spirit once and I will never fly them again. The nickel and diming was absurd. I literally couldn't believe they charged you for every. single. thing. I'm surprised I wasn't charged for the oxygen they so kindly allowed me to breathe. But it's true that people don't investigate the "full" price of flying, they just see the flight price is slightly lower and book that, completely bypassing the fact that they'll need to pay baggage fees, and possibly seating fees too, and factoring that into the price. Airlines should have a pop up that says "Sucker!" or "Gotcha!" after you book with them which then leads to a list of all their fees.

I think the airlines should charge for carry-on and allow at least one free checked bag. That would make things go a lot smoother.

I'm ok with that if they allow 1 checked bag for free. I still, and always will feel, that the 1 piece of checked luggage should come with the price of airfare!!

Even if the baggage-inclusive ticket costs you $100 more than the ticket where you have to baggage fees? $50 more?

Or would you simply like to have your cake and eat it too?

Aren't you clever!! It's not about "having my cake and eating it too". When one travels, we need clothes. We are paying for a service. And I feel, and so does more people than you think by the way, that the one piece of luggage should come with the price of the airline ticket.

I don't get my airfare through cheap agencies. I go to the airline I frequent or can agree with their prices and look for the best price possible. Maybe you have an endless supply of money, I don't. But these airlines like to take advantage because they know they have us over a barrel. They know we have to take luggage for our clothes. So there's no choice but to pay the stupid fee. Doesn't make it right. In fact, it makes it very wrong. Amazing how the majority of the flying public think that way except you!!!

i will not fly them, this is so out of control, it's absurdity. if they, meaning all airlines, are going to nickel and dime customers like this, it's a shame they are too stupid to build it into the ticket price and not let the customer see it. it's not that i'm too stupid to see the price increase, it's just insane to think that i have to worry about pricing after buying a ticket for food, pillows, luggage, etc. i say everyone revolt and see what happens. it only hurts those of us who want to travel, have the means to travel and decide it's easier to drive to destinations within a 1000 mile radius instead. absurdity at its finest, unreal!

i believe 1 checked bag should be free as part of the purchase price. if they want to start charging for carryons, i'm ok with that as long the checked bag #1 is free. i agree with debbie in the fact that arilines must assume people most likely need to check a bag or more if they're going on a trip...that's pretty logical to me. i will be scrutinizing any and all airlines i fly for fees and issues. i may end up driving with several friends to destinatiions that i can drive to instead. not my first choice, but if i can do it and avoid the outrageous hassles and fees, i will consider it for sure. it's sad that the airlines are hurting yet they hurt the passengers that want to fly them and willing to pay the flying fees yet not these ridiculous fees. very sad.

Amazing how the majority of the flying public think that way except you!!!
Well, perhaps you'd like to try this one simple question. Would you prefer:-
  1. A $100 ticket, on which you have to pay a $25 fee for one piece of baggage; or
  2. A $140 ticket, which includes one piece of baggage?

One of the reasons for carry-on luggage is to bypass the ticket counter.

In order to get the reduced rate for carry-on luggage you are now forced to stop at the check-in counter.

Totally illogical and stupid. They are banking on a lot of people still bypassing the ticket counter. Greedy Greedy Greedy.

Well, perhaps you'd like to try this one simple question. Would you prefer:-
  1. A $100 ticket, on which you have to pay a $25 fee for one piece of baggage; or
  2. A $140 ticket, which includes one piece of baggage?

#1, I would prefer the $140 ticket since the checked bag fee of $25 is only one way and turns into $50!!!! So I'll take that $140 airline tickets thanks.

And #2, there SHOULD NOT be a fee for 1 piece of checked luggage. So that question is an oxymoron. :D

*sigh*

*Heavy Exhale* followed by *sigh* followed by *slow head shake*

Unfortunately, your sig doesn't quote, so let me repost it:

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then they beat you with experience.

Cruzegirl never met an airline that wasn't trying to cheat her, overcharge her, or in general, take advantage of the flying public. She insists on rock-bottom pricing, yet complains about practices that are a direct result of her own economic behavior.

I still wonder why airlines aren't beating at her door, begging for her to become CEO and visionary. I know I'd fly her airline every day of the week....that is, for the week that it would be in business.

Bags that are under the seat in front of you are adequately restrained in the case of an accident. That is why that is an approved place for stowage.The problem with that is that airlines are operating in a market in which if you offer customers a choice between:-

1. A $100 ticket with a $25 baggage fee; and
  2. A $120 ticket with no baggage fee;

the customers usually go for the first option.

Why? Because "it's $20 cheaper". That is why there are so many additional fees appearing.

Very well put. As you point out, ultimately the problem is caused by consumers.

The only way to change the practice is for more consumers to choose airlines that do not charge baggage and other fees.

#1, I would prefer the $140 ticket since the checked bag fee of $25 is only one way and turns into $50!!!! So I'll take that $140 airline tickets thanks.
Well, how about this, then: Would you prefer:-
  1. A $100 one-way ticket, on which you have to pay a $25 fee for one piece of baggage; or
  2. A $140 one-way ticket, which includes one piece of baggage?

Very well put. As you point out, ultimately the problem is caused by consumers.

The only way to change the practice is for more consumers to choose airlines that do not charge baggage and other fees.

Can anyone list the airlines who don't charge for any baggage AT ALL? Thanks!

You seem to be posting inaccurate information.. I did a quick check and found some discrepancies. I am sure that I missed a few others. I do not know where you get your info but you should check you sources.

Unfortunately, you also are posting some wrong information too. TWA did not actually go bankrupt, AA purchased them. Also, you can have 2 carry on type bags on AA. This info is coming from spouse who works for AA.

Sue

Globaliser and Sargent Schultz - you guys have to take a Valium and lighten up!! Depending on the issue, I trust both of you for your insight, but when you start competing with each other on "Father Knows Best", I start to wonder.... Who can you trust??? Kiss and make up guys.

Can anyone list the airlines who don't charge for any baggage AT ALL? Thanks!

The only ones I know of are Southwest (2 free checked bags) and Jetblue (1 checked bag). Perhaps someone can add if there are additional airlines that don't charge as well that I'm not aware of?

IMHO...I think all this crap started when the airlines started to charge for check in luggage....DUH!!! If the airlines would automatically add the $15.00 per person on to the cost of the flight...and have everyone check one piece of luggage (weight limits enforced) then we would not have all this cramming/stuffing luggage into the over head bins...DUH--->AGAIN! Why the airlines ever started this entire problem just created more problems which we are having to deal with now! GEZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!:rolleyes:

You can only blame the price blinkered consumer. Those who search on the basis of 'walk on the plane' fare alone without considering the other costs they may choose to incur; checked bags, express boarding, food, alcohol et.c ad nauseum...

I think there are a few on this forum

Archived