spirit airlines to charge for carryon bags

CtheW0rld

We are talking Spirit Airlines here. 16 x 14 x 12 is correct... :rolleyes:

thanks, Largin, for your ACCURATE info. I appreciate posters who

give ACCURATE info. How refreshing!;)

At $81 / barrel for oil now........fuel costs are killing the airlines. And......it costs the airline just as much to fly 50 lbs of your luggage as it costs to fly 50 lbs of you.

If oil costs remain high.........expect the cost of flying to go up.....whether it is with increased fares........or nickle / dimes for your luggage.

Read up on fuel hedging. Airlines don't often buy at market price, they could be on the wrong end of a bad fuel hedging decision, or the right end of a very good one.

Airlines run on very small margins due to the price elasticity of demand on tickets. Fuel and labour costs are two of the largest expenditures airlines have so a small change in those can eat into margins greatly. Doesn't mean they're poorly run businesses, it's the natural result of operating in a very competitive environment.

We don't get charged for check in luggage or carry on on Qantas in OZ. A few of the cheaper ones do though. We won't fly them because once you add on the cost of all the extras including the food' date=' it is no cheaper.

We were just in your country for a month and had the joy of flying on Southwest and Delta. Couldn't believe how much carry on luggage people were allowed to take. Being ignorant of your boarding etiquette we held back and let the other passengers board (after all what was the urgency). We found out - our carry on luggage had to be checked in because all the overhead bins were full! Not happy!! Our carry on luggage held all our valuables. This was with Southwest. We learnt and became temporary americans and stood up before we were told and got in the way of people getting off the flight and rushed on as soon as we could and put our carry on luggage in the overhead bins first. :eek:

Delta was much more civilised. You just had to make sure you were either A or B as if you were in the C's - tough! Still had to pay for food though.

Oh, I hope it never gets like that here. But it probably will, the airlines seem to follow the example of the American airlines. And if they think they will get away with it, they will. :mad:[/quote']

So YOU'RE the ones who rushed past me in the A boarding group before any of the rest of us were allowed to board on my last SWA flight! Bet you didn't have to pay for two checked bags per person, either. Dang - it was the first time I was in front of the A group, with a boarding # of A-4! I know it wasn't really YOU, but I've seen it happen before on SWA, and have actually seen SWA personnel send people back to end of the line, where they belonged. Most flights I've been on with SWA have been completely full, but interestingly, I've never had a problem finding overhead space for my roller-bag carry on, even when I was B-61, and I've flown SWA a lot. You can always get a better boarding number by going on-line 24 hours before your flight and printing off the pass. BTW - I always carry any meds in my purse. Having said that, I just bought a ticket on Untied - um, United - (better flight times, shorter layovers, no 2-hour drive each way, no motel costs, and aisle seat assignments). This flight isn't for months to come, so will see how it goes. It's really nice that Spirit isn't charging for a book to read! I read on another Board that the $45.00 from Spirit isn't subject to govm't taxes and fees, as it would be if this cost was included in the actual air fare. It's almost like winning a FREE "3-night Bahamas cruise" where the cruise fare pp is $120.00 for the cheapest inside cabin (the "free" part), but you can only cruise on two dates during Hurricane Season, and you have to pay full taxes and port charges and pre-paid tips. You're out of money either way.

Were you able to find Tim-Tams during your visit here? (I remember that thread!). Hope you liked our country.

As Fox News just had on their news telling folks every airline has their own rules for carry on, so read on:

Carry on luggage policies by airline:

American: Limit of two carry-ons; each bag is to be no bigger than 45 inches in combined height, length, and width. Carry-ons include cameras and briefcases but not handbags, coats, canes, walkers, or other assistive devices.

Special treatment: First-class and business-class passengers can carry on more items because there's more space. Strollers are checked at gate and returned at jet bridge on arrival.

Continental: No specific limits -- depends on the flight and space availability; airline is enlarging carry-on space in overhead bins on its planes.

Delta: Limit of two carry-ons; each must weigh less than 40 pounds and be no bigger than 24 inches long, 16 inches high, and 10 inches wide. Carry-ons include computers, briefcases, and duty-free purchases but not handbags, coats, food for onboard consumption, crutches, canes, and other assistive devices, umbrellas, reasonable amount of reading material, strollers, and car seats. Special treatment: Car seats not used in flight must be checked. Violins and other delicate items that don't fit the measurements must be checked.

Northwest: Limit of one carry-on with maximum dimensions of 22 inches by 14 inches by 9 inches plus one other "special item," which may include a briefcase, laptop computer, large purse, camera, infant car seat, diaper bag, or stroller. Carry-ons do not include small handbags, coats, umbrellas, canes, walkers, crutches, collapsible manual wheelchairs, or reading material. Special treatment: Passengers flying first class, world business class, or members of International Gold Elite or WorldPerks Gold allowed one extra carry-on.

TWA: Limit of two items, with each having maximum dimensions of 10 inches wide, 16 inches high, and 24 inches long. Carry-ons include handbags, computers, briefcases, and baby strollers but not coats and umbrellas, canes, walkers, and cameras.

Special treatment: On international flights, one extra carry-on is allowed for business-class travelers; on domestic flights, same rules apply to all passengers.

United: Limit of two items, each no more than 45 linear inches (length plus width and height); at some airports, there will be a 9-inch-by-14-inch "template" at security checkpoints. If luggage doesn't fit, bag must be checked. Carry-ons include briefcases, computers, large purses, cameras, and strollers (can be checked at gate) but not small purses (less than 25 linear inches), coats, child safety seats used in flight, canes, walkers, and other assistive devices.

US Airways: Two bags are permitted. Maximum for overhead bin is 24 inches by 16 inches by 10 inches; underneath seat maxiumum is 21 inches by 16 inches by 8 inches. On aircraft with valet bag bins, maximum is 45 inches by 23.5 inches by 4 inches. Carry-ons include briefcases and laptops but not handbags or camera bags (not exceeding 18 inches by 12 inches by 4 inches), coats, umbrellas, reading material canes, child safety seats, or strollers, if they fit.

Funny, no mention of Spirit.

I've never flown Spirit, but my understanding is that they are a no-frills airline. Those of

you who do, how do their fares stack up against the others? If you add the carry-on

charge to the fare, are they higher than, for instance, Delta?

The way people abuse the carry on rules is a crime. The first people on cram the

bins so full there's no room for anyone else. Then Mr Anyone Else comes along and

crams his into a full bin, squashing or breaking whatever got there first. If charging for

carry-ons eliminates the whole awful bin stuffing scene, I'm all for it.

I'd fly Spirit if they flew out of my hometown.

Plus, if you have a seat in the first row of the airplane, there is no seat in front of you to store your carry-on

bag(s). Fortunately there is the fairly large luggage compartment for carry-ons close by.

As Fox News just had on their news telling folks every airline has their own rules for carry on, so read on:

American: Limit of two carry-ons; (Incorrect only one carry bag allowed per person). each bag is to be no bigger than 45 inches in combined height, length, and width. Carry-ons include cameras and briefcases but not handbags, coats, canes, walkers, or other assistive devices.

Special treatment: First-class and business-class passengers can carry on more items because there's more space. Strollers are checked at gate and returned at jet bridge on arrival.

Continental: No specific limits -- depends on the flight and space availability; airline is enlarging carry-on space in overhead bins on its planes.

Delta: Limit of two carry-ons; each must weigh less than 40 pounds and be no bigger than 24 inches long, 16 inches high, and 10 inches wide. (Incorrect, Size is 45 inches combined height up to 22 x 14 x 9 ). Carry-ons include computers, briefcases, and duty-free purchases but not handbags, coats, food for onboard consumption, crutches, canes, and other assistive devices, umbrellas, reasonable amount of reading material, strollers, and car seats. Special treatment: Car seats not used in flight must be checked. Violins and other delicate items that don't fit the measurements must be checked.

Northwest: Limit of one carry-on with maximum dimensions of 22 inches by 14 inches by 9 inches plus one other "special item," which may include a briefcase, laptop computer, large purse, camera, infant car seat, diaper bag, or stroller. Carry-ons do not include small handbags, coats, umbrellas, canes, walkers, crutches, collapsible manual wheelchairs, or reading material. Special treatment: Passengers flying first class, world business class, or members of International Gold Elite or WorldPerks Gold allowed one extra carry-on.

TWA: (Incorrect as TWA went bankrupt in 2001) Limit of two items, with each having maximum dimensions of 10 inches wide, 16 inches high, and 24 inches long. Carry-ons include handbags, computers, briefcases, and baby strollers but not coats and umbrellas, canes, walkers, and cameras.

Special treatment: On international flights, one extra carry-on is allowed for business-class travelers; on domestic flights, same rules apply to all passengers.

United: Limit of two items, (Incorrect only one carry bag allowed per person).each no more than 45 linear inches (length plus width and height); at some airports, there will be a 9-inch-by-14-inch "template" at security checkpoints. If luggage doesn't fit, bag must be checked. Carry-ons include briefcases, computers, large purses, cameras, and strollers (can be checked at gate) but not small purses (less than 25 linear inches), coats, child safety seats used in flight, canes, walkers, and other assistive devices.

US Airways: Two bags are permitted. Maximum for overhead bin is 24 inches by 16 inches by 10 inches; underneath seat maxiumum is 21 inches by 16 inches by 8 inches. On aircraft with valet bag bins, maximum is 45 inches by 23.5 inches by 4 inches. Carry-ons include briefcases and laptops but not handbags or camera bags (not exceeding 18 inches by 12 inches by 4 inches), coats, umbrellas, reading material canes, child safety seats, or strollers, if they fit.

You seem to be posting inaccurate information.. I did a quick check and found some discrepancies. I am sure that I missed a few others. I do not know where you get your info but you should check you sources.

Just for perspective, Spirit has reduced its lowest fares by about $40 to coincide with this change.

Does that affect your view of its reasonableness? Would you rather pay $40 more for the ticket just so you don't have to pay $25 for a bag?

You know what, I don't want to pay for the baggage in the overhead OR the first checked bag. It's BS. One checked bag should come with the price of the airline ticket. Period!

You seem to be posting inaccurate information.. I did a quick check and found some discrepancies. I am sure that I missed a few others. I do not know where you get your info but you should check you sources.

Thanks, LARGIN! Yeah - about those TWA requirements.....!

BTW - just heard there's a possible merger between United and US Air.

American: Limit of two carry-ons; each bag is to be no bigger than 45 inches in combined height, length, and width. Carry-ons include cameras and briefcases but not handbags, coats, canes, walkers, or other assistive devices.

Delta: Limit of two carry-ons; each must weigh less than 40 pounds and be no bigger than 24 inches long, 16 inches high, and 10 inches wide. Carry-ons include computers, briefcases, and duty-free purchases but not handbags, coats, food for onboard consumption, crutches, canes, and other assistive devices, umbrellas, reasonable amount of reading material, strollers, and car seats. Special treatment: Car seats not used in flight must be checked. Violins and other delicate items that don't fit the measurements must be checked.

TWA: Limit of two items, with each having maximum dimensions of 10 inches wide, 16 inches high, and 24 inches long. Carry-ons include handbags, computers, briefcases, and baby strollers but not coats and umbrellas, canes, walkers, and cameras.

United: Limit of two items, each no more than 45 linear inches (length plus width and height); at some airports, there will be a 9-inch-by-14-inch "template" at security checkpoints. If luggage doesn't fit, bag must be checked. Carry-ons include briefcases, computers, large purses, cameras, and strollers (can be checked at gate) but not small purses (less than 25 linear inches), coats, child safety seats used in flight, canes, walkers, and other assistive devices.

:(Since Delta and Northwest are now merged and have been for some time, which one is correct? If you don't understand please do not post mis-information. :(

It has been this way in Europe for years & is now catching up in the USA. Not sure what can be done other than not fly & that is not in my future travel plans. Americans always adapt, so this will be another of those things that we can tell our grandchildren on how things "used to be." On telling my grandson about how movie theatres used to only show one movie & we all walked to school, girls could not wear pants to school, & on & on..he said he thought I was from another planet :eek: lol

Jan

more fine print.....

... we've been guilty of "repacking" at the airport because our bags were out of restrictions, but recent price inquiries with spirit leaves me to wonder also.

If it's not too much to ask, I'm just trying to budget a trip

Can we get a 1 adult, 1 child, (how many bag) query on the websites to help the unsuspecting here?:confused:

Does anyone have the carry-on policies for Piedmont, Braniff, National, and Air Florida?

What's the luggage policy on the Wright Flyer?

You forgot Eastern Air Lines. The ooooonly way to travel! And ValuJet (yes, I know). PanAm, SwissAir, and BOAC (still have the nice navy blue flight bag).

:(Since Delta and Northwest are now merged and have been for some time, which one is correct? If you don't understand please do not post mis-information. :(

Delta and Northwest still book and fly independently, last I heard.

You were correct TWA no longer exists.

AA, flew American last month, 1 carryon and one personal item allowed. We boarded with a garment bag (personal item) and one small carryon each.

Delta and Northwest still book and fly independently, last I heard.

In January, 2010 the merger became total. Book only at Delta.com. Fly only on planes with Delta painted on them and with crew in Delta uniforms.

So YOU'RE the ones who rushed past me in the A boarding group before any of the rest of us were allowed to board on my last SWA flight! Bet you didn't have to pay for two checked bags per person, either. Dang - it was the first time I was in front of the A group, with a boarding # of A-4! I know it wasn't really YOU, but I've seen it happen before on SWA, and have actually seen SWA personnel send people back to end of the line, where they belonged. Most flights I've been on with SWA have been completely full, but interestingly, I've never had a problem finding overhead space for my roller-bag carry on, even when I was B-61, and I've flown SWA a lot. You can always get a better boarding number by going on-line 24 hours before your flight and printing off the pass. BTW - I always carry any meds in my purse. Having said that, I just bought a ticket on Untied - um, United - (better flight times, shorter layovers, no 2-hour drive each way, no motel costs, and aisle seat assignments). This flight isn't for months to come, so will see how it goes. It's really nice that Spirit isn't charging for a book to read! I read on another Board that the $45.00 from Spirit isn't subject to govm't taxes and fees, as it would be if this cost was included in the actual air fare. It's almost like winning a FREE "3-night Bahamas cruise" where the cruise fare pp is $120.00 for the cheapest inside cabin (the "free" part), but you can only cruise on two dates during Hurricane Season, and you have to pay full taxes and port charges and pre-paid tips. You're out of money either way.

Were you able to find Tim-Tams during your visit here? (I remember that thread!). Hope you liked our country.

LOL!!!!

I brought our own Tim Tams with us because we like some of the flavours that you can't get here :D We also brought extra for Pia. Did you read my review of our trip? We had a ball and met many really nice Americans! (Just not in the airports waiting enmass to get on a flight :eek:)

I feel airlines are getting out of hand in their CHEAPNESS

To charge for carry-on now is an OUTRAGE .I would not pay for it .I think People who boycott this airline are right WHAT A DISGRACE Their prices are SKY HIGH and they have the GALL to charge more

I think as consumers we should get decent MEALS back for flights 3 hours or more....not like there is a food store at 30,000 feet

Also 2 bags of 50 lbs each !!!! and carry on ...AIRLINES STOP MILKING US!!!!

I'm sure loads of people would not even have carry-on if they had 2 free bags

They have lost SOO much business ..time to get it back give more get more!!!

If they pay it they will keep it up!!! I've seen some pretty huge carryons being shoved into those bins (the person usually was over my head while trying this) A gentlemen on the news said last evening that the consumers should be outraged by this fee. But they will pay it and all the other airlines will notice that and by darn probably will follow suit!! Makes one thing of flying in a whole different light.

When will they start charging for the use of "seat belts"??

Archived