Aonnyone just buy their liquor on board and not try to sneak it

cruise53

Just to stoke the fires a little I will point out I know people who sneak liquor on board to enjoy in their room when and how they want even though they are eligible for the free Elite happy hour. In other words they pay for drinks they could have for free. They would never walk back to the room for the purpose of having a free drink instead of paying for one in a public space. The point I am trying to make is that it is clearly not about the money. It is about enjoying their vacation on their terms. Yes it violates a contract. But it is absolutely not about the money for many.

That's odd...I've been reading this board for a little over a year now and I didn't get the impression that the majority smuggle booze on.

I guess it's the few that get the attention.:rolleyes:

I think most don't. Just the ones that do sure like talking about it

Some people must feel the need to try to "beat the system" even though they agreed to the system. Some people's integrity can be purchased cheaply.

Just a little bit over the top ;)

You always drive exactly the speed limit? Always cross at the lights? Never pack yourself a sandwich to take off the ship?

I will never understand why people get all hot and bothered about this topic (and this is coming from someone who buys all their booze onboard).

Just to stoke the fires a little I will point out I know people who sneak liquor on board to enjoy in their room when and how they want even though they are eligible for the free Elite happy hour. In other words they pay for drinks they could have for free. They would never walk back to the room for the purpose of having a free drink instead of paying for one in a public space. The point I am trying to make is that it is clearly not about the money. It is about enjoying their vacation on their terms. Yes it violates a contract. But it is absolutely not about the money for many.

Its a point taken that those with the affordability chose to be discrete.

Some people must feel the need to try to "beat the system" even though they agreed to the system. Some people's integrity can be purchased cheaply.

Personally I don't care..just because I don't do it nor would I do it won't stop them. It's not for me to judge.

But before I get all holier than thou about it...I don't drink so this is a moot point. You even get people defensive about bringing wine on board...even when it's in black and white that it's allowed.

You get these types of people in all walks of life...my point is I believe these people are the minority not the majority.

If it is not about the money why not just order a bottle and have it delivered to the room or drink from mini bar?

Just a little bit over the top ;)

You always drive exactly the speed limit? Always cross at the lights? Never pack yourself a sandwich to take off the ship?

I will never understand why people get all hot and bothered about this topic (and this is coming from someone who buys all their booze onboard).

Ooooh, I thought that this guys message set a new standard and was dead on. As many before me have said, we choose the rules we wish to break. And since this is not about amnesty for driving offenses....

I never speed, never take too many napkins from the fast food place, did take a pen one time from the office but drove back that night and put it back although did write two checks with it(couldn't figure a way to get the ink back). I believe 99% of the people on cruises and else where are honest, I wounder if it isn't one of those see if I can do it things.

I never speed, never take too many napkins from the fast food place, did take a pen one time from the office but drove back that night and put it back although did write two checks with it(couldn't figure a way to get the ink back). I believe 99% of the people on cruises and else where are honest, I wounder if it isn't one of those see if I can do it things.

The planet is filled with get-overs. That's what we have here. Who knows where Cruise Critic gets their newest member base from.

If you are talking about me I am from Mississippi.

Huh? Are get overs from Mississippi? Did I say get overs are from Mississippi? Or ALL get overs are form Mississippi? I think I said on this thread, but I might be confused, that there are get overs from all over the planet so you and I should clear this up fast so we can get on with life.

Mississippi is not a majority area from the planet. But when it comes to Pete Fountain, we can talk about an alternate presence in the universe and it might be Big.;)

We are not big drinkers of alcohol & for us the 2 hours for elite members is more than enough for us . Even before we had this perk we never would think of smugling booze aboard any ship .If they allowed us to bring on our own wine we would do this occassionally & stay with in the cruise line limits .

Those people who smugle any thing on board a ship should imo get fined or the booze be taken away & not rreturned & then it would stop ,once that got around .

Guilty, I smuggle...but only because.... Hubby drinks Vodka and could go through a litre on a cruise...I just want a little gin, just a little itty bitty bottle...I can't finish a litre. This is why we like Princess's package...I can buy 375 ml of gin or Irish cream for those late night drinks on the deck for under $20. I hate having to commit $80 -- $100 for something I'm not going to finish. I like variety! Usually on princess I'll spend $80 and they'll be gin, vodka, irish cream and a beer package in our room. So yes, I smuggle, hangs head in shame.. ;)

Guilty, I smuggle...but only because.... Hubby drinks Vodka and could go through a litre on a cruise...I just want a little gin, just a little itty bitty bottle...I can't finish a litre. This is why we like Princess's package...I can buy 375 ml of gin or Irish cream for those late night drinks on the deck for under $20. I hate having to commit $80 -- $100 for something I'm not going to finish. I like variety! Usually on princess I'll spend $80 and they'll be gin, vodka, irish cream and a beer package in our room. So yes, I smuggle, hangs head in shame.. ;)

Can't you enjoy the gin in a ships venue and eliminate the shame? :o

Can't you enjoy the gin in a ships venue and eliminate the shame? :o

I have no shame ;) We honestly spend so much time on our balcony. Most of the time I just want a G & T while watching the wake and reading a good book, I don't want to go to a bar or order room service, so yeah, guilty..you'll find a mickey of gin in my luggage. On Princess, I'll order a mickey, I'm not spending $80 on Celebrity.

I have no shame ;) We honestly spend so much time on our balcony. Most of the time I just want a G & T while watching the wake and reading a good book, I don't want to go to a bar or order room service, so yeah, guilty..you'll find a mickey of gin in my luggage. On Princess, I'll order a mickey, I'm not spending $80 on Celebrity.

I don't blame you. I don't really use alcohol during the day coz it tires me out, but at 5 o'clock its a new day for me.

Huh? Are get overs from Mississippi? Did I say get overs are from Mississippi? Or ALL get overs are form Mississippi? I think I said on this thread, but I might be confused, that there are get overs from all over the planet so you and I should clear this up fast so we can get on with life.

Mississippi is not a majority area from the planet. But when it comes to Pete Fountain, we can talk about an alternate presence in the universe and it might be Big.;)

I will agree Mississippi is not a majority area of anything except maybe cream of wheat(we are grits). I don't understand what "get overs" mean. When I started this thread it was mostly fun. I am still amazed how serious people take it. One cruise I took (my first Celebrity) the bar tab was almost as much the cruise(inside cabin). Had I known that I might have smuggled. Its all in fun and I like playing on the boards just thinking about the next cruise. I almost guarantee before Saturday somebody will have another thread started about smuggling booze. In another life I was a Deputy Sheriff and had responsibility for Sunday morning visitation, there are some real smuggling stories there.:)

I don't blame you. I don't really use alcohol during the day coz it tires me out, but at 5 o'clock its a new day for me.

I go by the Five O'Clock rule too as long as it is your time zone not mine...:D

Cliff...any thoughts on the October 2011 TA???

We need to see Celebrity's cruise itineraries ;which we understand will be out by April 12th .We would prefer a repositioning through the canal or from SD (our home port) to Alaska ;but ,we won't rule out the Oct 2011 TA possibility .Thanks for asking

If they allow a certain amount of wine, why don't they allow a similar amount of beer or other beverage instead? :confused: Not everyone likes wine. :eek: Go ahead - crucify me for saying that - but I prefer good beer. :o Oh, yeah - I smuggle a small but respectable quantity of all my favorites aboard. - and I feel NO shame in doing so.

I think while there's the option of purchasing a bar set-up for your cabin you don't need to consider room service or trudging to a bar. Which is why we've done exactly this for our upcoming cruise; with 2 kids asleep in the room (and the associated risk of waking them up if we order room service or struggle past them to go to a bar) we've only the option of purchasing a bar set-up or smuggling. We've chosen the former (it's less hassle if more expensive) but have no problem with those that choose the latter. The way I look at it is; would a hotel stop and search your bags for alcohol? No! And would you object if they did so? Yes I would imagine! Hotels don't stop you, so why should a cruise be any different? I don't like the rules even if I do abide by them! :)

Justin

That is part of the bigger picture issue. A cruise is not like a hotel, its not like a summer house, its not like a camping trip. Many people try to fit that experience into a cruise vacation. Can I bring a cooler. Can I bring a case of beer. Can I bring a case of water. Can I bring a case of soda. Why do I have to tip anyone. Why do I have to dress up.

People are just not getting the idea a cruise is not a cross over vacation.

Archived