Are some guest’s expectations unreasonable?

rl787

I recently posted this on the Seabourn board but as I felt that Silversea's is a similar product I thought I would post it here as well so as to gauge the opinion of Silversea's clients.

I would like to bring up a point that some readers may find a contentious. I read these boards quite often and sometimes I am amazed that some guests write review about their recent cruises that imply that Cruise Lines like Seabourn, Silversea Sea Dream etc have dropped their standards. Phrases like “I will never go on them again” are quite commonplace. I believe that all the quality lines do their best to exceed all our expectations. When I actually read the details about the problems I feel that some reviewers have been rather over critical about their experience. A little incident that I saw myself was on a recent Silversea’s cruise a guest made rather a major fuss about the standard of freshness of the cashew nuts on the bar. In a loud voice he insisted that the Bar Manager come and discuss this incident with him immediately. I felt it was way over the top and quite frankly rude, the outcome was a 10 minute long apology to the guest as he vented his anger over a bowl of cashew nuts. Ridiculously the Bar Manager assured him that there would be freshly fried cashew nuts at all the bars daily just for his personal consumption. Do any other posters feel that maybe some people complain so vociferously about minor issues simply because they feel they can. I must also point out that when we went on Sea Dream we personally did not like the product, only because we enjoy a more formal ship and a more structured service, I did not complain directly as I just felt it was not for us, just like a Mercedes saloon would suit our needs more than a Mercedes sports.

I heard a saying a few years ago…..”The customer is not always right………but they are always the customer” Do you think maybe it is time that some clients were informed about life in the real world a little more and told to appreciate how lucky we are to be able to enjoy such wonderful vacations?

I have now posted this on the Seabourn and Silversea's boards and I hope I have not offended anybody but I would like to hear other people’s views.

Hi rl787

U certainly haven't offended me because I couldn't agree with u more. I sometimes read these boards and cringe at some of the expectations and complaints.

I think we are all extremely fortunate to be able to take these luxurious holidays.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

I totally agree.

I once watched a "guest" shouting at a waiter because he demanded to know whether the fish was fresh or frozen. The "guest" was quite irate and shouted things like "I didn't come on this ship to be served food from Mrs. Paul's Kitchen" (translation for UK readers = "Birdseye"). It was really embarrassing and in retrospect I really wished I had done something about it rather than stare open-mouthed, at this loathsome juvenile tantrum.

I had the same fish and it was delicious. In fact having been 10 days at sea, in retrospect, I think I would have been more worried if the fish was "fresh" !

It's sad but there ARE some UGLY ones that go on cruise ships. Hopefully I won't run into another.

I feel that some people think that "all inclusive" includes a sense of entitlement and the option to treat all staff as sub-human servant automatons. Any one with any decent breeding and class does not exercise any sense of entitlement.

Having the money to pay for the "luxury" cruise does not make you any better than any one else - we were all able to pay to be on the ship, but we certainly are not all rude.

IMHO these rude and overly demanding people lack class.

As we say in the south - you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Be nice. :)

I think we are all extremely fortunate to be able to take these luxurious holidays.

Cheers

Jennifer (ging466)

You're quite right about that! DW and I say that almost every day. We have had cruises that we liked less than others - but I can't say we've ever had a bad time on a cruise.

The occasional less-than-perfect experience just makes you appreciate the perfect ones more. Otherwise you'd be bored out of your mind, and you'd have no basis for comparison!

High standards beget high expectations, and sometimes SS and other lines find it a struggle to exceed already-high expectations. But they do try.

I think the real issue is how some people react when something isn't quite perfect. Maybe it was the last straw after a string of other problems. Maybe they are already under a lot of (non-cruise-related) stress. Or maybe it's just being on a cruise. I did hear that the highest divorce rate happens at holiday periods, supposedly because couples who don't see that much of each other day-to-day with modern busy lives are suddenly thrown together for a week or two, with no escape! (Wouldn't apply to anybody on this board, of course!)

I do think that all the glossy literature and advertising hype, as well as some of the hyperbole on this site, does set people up to be disappointed by anything short of perfection. But, as long as you remember that nothing is perfect and enjoy accordingly, all will be well and you will have a great time!

On the 1st trip from the Spirit, Two or three of the guests related to a couple in the premium Dinning room, that were loud, rude and very disturbing every night. The women made the comment in front of all to hear "I can't wait to get off this Ship" I'm sure the guests around her felt the same way. Yes, when I read these reports no matter what cruise Line it is, I always take it with a grain of salt. An early poster said you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try" Can you imagine how that Manager must have felt listening to a tirade over Fresh Cashews, I'll bet inside he was ready to to explode. What a sad experience for those around this issue.;)

I totally agree about these rude idiots. The petty complaints are not even legitimate complaints. Many times when I read the line "I am on vacation" I read "I paid good money for you to lick my boots". So obnoxious.

Wouldn't it be funny if the cruiselines constituted a new rule that at the end of the trip the crew will vote on the rudest passenger(s) and will be made to walk the plank. That will cure the problem in an instant. In fact they should post a photo of the first "Honoree" on their beautiful brochures. That will teach those fools. :)

“I’m on vacation” should also mean: “I am relaxing.” If someone on vacation is throwing a tantrum over cashews, I shudder to imagine what that person is like back at home or at work.

My first Silversea cruise was aboard the Wind in the Indian Ocean. I believe I was, at age 40, the fourth youngest passenger aboard that particular segment. There was another solo traveler who was as unjaded and excited to be aboard as I was. One night we had a wonderful dinner with a couple who felt the need to let the headwaiter know (quietly and politely) that the steak wasn’t quite tender enough and that the service had been a bit too slow. The next day as we were discussing this, my new friend said, “There comes a point where these people ought to understand that they’re on a charter tour.” By which he meant: this is not the court of Louis XIV, it’s a quality hospitality product which passengers are renting for 7 or 9 or 21 days at a stretch, and of course there will be occasional imperfections. I agree with duct tape that Silversea's advertising hype may foster unreasonable expectations.

On the other hand, anyone who really believes the hype in any cruise brochure is setting himself up for disappointment. Nothing ever lives up to what they advertise and people should board aware of that. Still, what most of the luxury lines deliver is pretty darn good.

One of the selling points of taking a premium cruise, at least for me, is to avoid an excess of borish louts I frequently have found on mid-market cruise lines. Money does not equate to class. I love the concept of voting folks "off the island."

Count me in!!!:)

I do think that all the glossy literature and advertising hype, as well as some of the hyperbole on this site, does set people up to be disappointed by anything short of perfection. But, as long as you remember that nothing is perfect and enjoy accordingly, all will be well and you will have a great time!

This is an interesting thread of various comments, including realistic expectations. Good point by duck tape on how a few get "hyped up" with unreasonable over-expectations. Our July 1-16 cruise along the Norway Coast on the Silver Cloud will be our first on Silversea. We'll happy with cashews and good food. After doing just two cruises, Seabourn and Crystal, we recognized that "reality" is that there is no such things as a "perfect cruise". Just be happy with what happens and a very good overall experience.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Whatever floats your boat, and mine is Silversea.

We thought it only fair to ourselves to try Seabourn, Crystal, and Regent Navigator -- since the motto is -- NOTHING IS TOO GOOD FOR ME....;)

Every time -- Silversea won out.

Nothing is perfect, and they sometimes stumble, but with upcoming Alaska cruise will have over 350 days on board.

BTW -- Norwegian Fjords was the best of them all -- Silver Whisper with Captain Corsaro.

You won't be disappointed !!

Mary Ann

Nothing is perfect, and they sometimes stumble, but with upcoming Alaska cruise will have over 350 days on board.

BTW -- Norwegian Fjords was the best of them all -- Silver Whisper with Captain Corsaro. You won't be disappointed !! Mary Ann

THANKS for the comments on your past Silversea adventures! Any special comments and specifics on why the Norway Fjords were "THE BEST OF THEM ALL"??? Appreciate any added details on that area for what you loved most and/or any added secrets for a first-time traveler with Silversea or on the Silver Cloud. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

So on that note let me add that we recently had an excellent time on the Cloud (Caribbean). Absolutely recommend it and all the time I felt extremely fortunate to be able to enjoy this wonderful holiday! I actually did not run into anyone that I wanted to vote off. Perhaps a few louder souls that shared their stock market portfolio discussion rather publicly. Lots of open chairs which I found a little farther away :)

Archived