Are some guest’s expectations unreasonable?

rl787

Two weeks ago, on the Istanbul to Venice cruise, I sent a letter to the Silver Wind cruise director, explaining that I was a dancer and really wished that the smoking section of the Bar were not close to the dance floor. I wasnt loud or unpleasant about it. I suggested that the smoking section could be moved to the other side of the Bar area merely by posting a sign or two, and placing the ash trays there; certainly, there was no special ventilation in that section of the bar which would have made any difference.

What I got back was a form letter thanking me for my valuable suggestion. Not even a personal contact apologizing for the fact that no change could be made. That is a big problem, in my opinion. When a customer makes a complaint, no matter how gently it is phrased, a personal contact is a must.

Maybe I should have jumped up onto the bar and yelled and screamed.

My employees listen to customers all day complaining. It's hard to deal with each new customer's complaint as if it's new. We consistently remind them, we don't know what has happened to that person, and what they have going on in their life at the time they talk to us.

People are people with vast differences of opinion, and experiences... go ahead, ask your partner what the correct way to fold a towel is, if people can't decide little things like, which way the toilet paper should sit on the rod (over or under) then why would we expect anything different outside our own houses?

I remember a time when my day was just horrible, everything went wrong from the start. I was at the brink of the threshold of all I could handle. I had a $100 gift card for gas that was a gift. I stopped at the gas station, and went inside, got myself one of their indulgent coffee drinks, as a nice splurge for myself. I go to the counter, hand my card to the cashier, and told him I wanted to fill up my car, can he please turn the pump on. He said no, he has to put in an amount. I told him, the car is not on empty, I was just filling it up because I had the card, and I don't know how much it will need. He said, he can't turn the pump on, sorry. (I know he can just turn the pump on, as I have witnessed it happen many times.) I didn't throw much of a fit, but my lite skin shows my emotions, and I'm sure all the people in line saw I was about to breakdown over this. I took my card back, left his station, and to this day have not returned. I got in my car, had a good cry, and made it through the rest of my day.

To everyone else, this minor issue must have appeared ridiculous - a silly girl crying over a guy not being able to turn on a gas pump. I could have just picked an amount, I could have paid a different manner. There was no need to get upset when there were other options.

It wasn't the gas station rules that upset me, it was everything else that had led to this point, & it was one gas station attendant without customer service skills that just happened to be my breaking point on the threshold of crap I could go through that day.

So, I imagine this guys anger wasn't really over fresh nuts, that was just his breaking point... but then, that's an assumption from my perspective, just like I fold the towels in half lengthwise, then in half width wise, then in thirds lengthwise to put them in my linen closet...

I am playing a bit of devils advocate on this board, and sometimes people are just ridiculous, but I don't let them ruin my day, and I usually try to go behind and help the people they hurt, i.e. overtip the waitstaff to make up for other customer's ignorance.

I also disagree with the statement on this board that no cruise is going to be perfect. I believe every cruise will be perfect. I'm not at work, I'm with people I care about, and I'm here to have fun with no responsibilities that I am used to at home. It's already perfect, and I haven't even stepped on the ship!

I feel that some people think that "all inclusive" includes a sense of entitlement and the option to treat all staff as sub-human servant automatons. Any one with any decent breeding and class does not exercise any sense of entitlement.

Yep, that is true. My DH and I have been in hotel management and customer relations for a very long time, and the real big stars and the A1 royalty do not act the way these people do. And we have met a lot of celebrities in our work. Do you really think the average European King or Queen would start an argument about peanuts? The average nobody reads a story about some spoilt wannabee pop singer with one hit who only wants blue M&Ms in his dressing room and decides that he wants that too.

I think the real issue is how some people react when something isn't quite perfect. Maybe it was the last straw after a string of other problems. Maybe they are already under a lot of (non-cruise-related) stress. Or maybe it's just being on a cruise. I did hear that the highest divorce rate happens at holiday periods, supposedly because couples who don't see that much of each other day-to-day with modern busy lives are suddenly thrown together for a week or two, with no escape! (Wouldn't apply to anybody on this board, of course!)

:D very true too. Most of the time the staff has a day job marriage councelling, talking people out of committing suicide, separating fighting people, etc. The times I have had a crying woman (men too) at my reception desk that her husband is watching dirty movies, that he locked her out, that he is beating her, that she wants a divorce, etc. People are so head up and overstressed when they finally go on holiday that they get into a fist-fight with other passengers at the airline check-in desk.

I do think that all the glossy literature and advertising hype, as well as some of the hyperbole on this site, does set people up to be disappointed by anything short of perfection. But, as long as you remember that nothing is perfect and enjoy accordingly, all will be well and you will have a great time!

I once had this guy who just checked in his 5 star hotel room and came down and complained that "this was not the room on the picture in the hotel brochure". I started to explain that it was normal that the picture depicted an average room, until I realised that his room actually WAS the room in the brochure. I stood in his room with the picture in my hand, pointing out the shape, the furniture, the layout for 20 minutes, but he just insisted this was not the room. He finally calmed down when I gave him another room. This was much smaller and absolutely not so nice, but hey, he was very happy. Nutcase.

One thing people have not taken into account here yet is that there are people who make a scene on purpose. I know a lot of you don't believe it, but unfortunately it is true. They are what we call "whining pros". Some have such a shallow uninteresting life that they want to feel important by making a fuss. Mostly, they want money. I worked for an airline after-flight customer service, answering complaint letters. You won't believe how many people want the whole airfare back because of a non-incident: "the stewardess looked at me in a funny way", " the flight was delayed 15 minutes", "they did not want to mix me a cocktail in tourist class", "they did not have my favorite drink", "I had already seen the film".

One thing people have not taken into account here yet is that there are people who make a scene on purpose. I know a lot of you don't believe it, but unfortunately it is true. They are what we call "whining pros". Some have such a shallow uninteresting life that they want to feel important by making a fuss.
Weird but true. We spent ten minutes or so helping a couple to look for a ring that she had "lost" -- it was a wind-up and they were laughing at our efforts to help them. I wish this weren't on SS, but (years ago) it was.

My employees listen to customers all day complaining. It's hard to deal with each new customer's complaint as if it's new. We consistently remind them, we don't know what has happened to that person, and what they have going on in their life at the time they talk to us.

People are people with vast differences of opinion, and experiences... go ahead, ask your partner what the correct way to fold a towel is, if people can't decide little things like, which way the toilet paper should sit on the rod (over or under) then why would we expect anything different outside our own houses?

I remember a time when my day was just horrible, everything went wrong from the start. I was at the brink of the threshold of all I could handle. I had a $100 gift card for gas that was a gift. I stopped at the gas station, and went inside, got myself one of their indulgent coffee drinks, as a nice splurge for myself. I go to the counter, hand my card to the cashier, and told him I wanted to fill up my car, can he please turn the pump on. He said no, he has to put in an amount. I told him, the car is not on empty, I was just filling it up because I had the card, and I don't know how much it will need. He said, he can't turn the pump on, sorry. (I know he can just turn the pump on, as I have witnessed it happen many times.) I didn't throw much of a fit, but my lite skin shows my emotions, and I'm sure all the people in line saw I was about to breakdown over this. I took my card back, left his station, and to this day have not returned. I got in my car, had a good cry, and made it through the rest of my day.

To everyone else, this minor issue must have appeared ridiculous - a silly girl crying over a guy not being able to turn on a gas pump. I could have just picked an amount, I could have paid a different manner. There was no need to get upset when there were other options.

It wasn't the gas station rules that upset me, it was everything else that had led to this point, & it was one gas station attendant without customer service skills that just happened to be my breaking point on the threshold of crap I could go through that day.

So, I imagine this guys anger wasn't really over fresh nuts, that was just his breaking point... but then, that's an assumption from my perspective, just like I fold the towels in half lengthwise, then in half width wise, then in thirds lengthwise to put them in my linen closet...

I am playing a bit of devils advocate on this board, and sometimes people are just ridiculous, but I don't let them ruin my day, and I usually try to go behind and help the people they hurt, i.e. overtip the waitstaff to make up for other customer's ignorance.

I also disagree with the statement on this board that no cruise is going to be perfect. I believe every cruise will be perfect. I'm not at work, I'm with people I care about, and I'm here to have fun with no responsibilities that I am used to at home. It's already perfect, and I haven't even stepped on the ship!

What a brilliant post! Thank you!

Host Dan

My employees listen to customers all day complaining. It's hard to deal with each new customer's complaint as if it's new. We consistently remind them, we don't know what has happened to that person, and what they have going on in their life at the time they talk to us. I am playing a bit of devils advocate on this board, and sometimes people are just ridiculous, but I don't let them ruin my day, and I usually try to go behind and help the people they hurt, i.e. overtip the waitstaff to make up for other customer's ignorance. I also disagree with the statement on this board that no cruise is going to be perfect. I believe every cruise will be perfect. I'm not at work, I'm with people I care about, and I'm here to have fun with no responsibilities that I am used to at home. It's already perfect, and I haven't even stepped on the ship!

Agree with Host Dan on the great wisdom on this post, plus what is outlined by UKBayern. Some sad people enjoy themselves by working hard to miserable. There are some real problems in life, but many get too carried away in their being upset and unhappy.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

• 2 weeks later...

I think some people can't be happy. They always look for what is wrong. Some of them might be people who did not want to go on a cruise and were talked into going (just a guess). Others could suffer untreated depression or bipolar disorder. Obviously, those are not excuses for acting like an idiot on board, but I strongly believe there is a reason for everything. Another possibility is they do not research cruise lines by reading independent reviews, instead just jumping at offers for major discounts after going to the cruise line's official website. Many people like to spend as little time planning their vacations as possible and just travel to relax and do nothing. If that is your goal, you're setting yourself up for failure, because something goes wrong if you don't plan every little detail. I will pray for not seeing or hearing any angry or rude passengers after I finally book a cruise.

• 4 weeks later...

I would like to add my 2 cents worth to this excellent threat, firstly well done to

rl787

Cool Cruiser for starting it.

I have had the pleasure of doing 6 cruises to date, my first SS cruise is coming up in October, really looking forward to it.

The point I noticed no one has made about rude ignorant people on cruise lines like SS, RSSC, Seaborne ect is the option of indulging in complimentary alcoholic drink all day every day, I think this will make certain people far more loose with the rants and stupid requests, would love to know what others think.

My worst ever experience was on a RSSC when at dinner one evening, there were 6 of us at the table, my mother and I, this other couple whom we went to dinner with, and another couple who were already seated at a table for six, when we entered, the Maitre D asked if we would like to join that table, we all agreed, shortly after sitting down the introductions started, my mother did the honours for herself and I giving our names and saying we were from Dublin Ireland, and the charming husband of the couple that had already been seated said in a pretty loud voice, and I quote,(trust me I will never forget his words how ever long I live) "god damn, I got that wrong I thought you were a Jew Boy from New York" I should point out, I was 34 at the time, not much of a boy:)Needless to say that set a lovely tone for the evening, the ignorant one departed the table shortly after his charming comment, I was undecided how to react, option 1 get up and leave, option 2 shout swore and throw something at him:mad:, but this would only bring me to his very low level, so I decided on option 3, tell him the truth, after which he turned every shade of red known to man before leaving the table explaining he was feel rather unwell, now those of you still reading are wondering what great words of truth did I say to him, well they were and again I quote" You got that half right I am a Jew boy from Ireland"

Am glad to say I have heard no reports of such rudness on SS. Roll on OCT:):):)

I must admit that I thought the same: that the free booze on Silversea (my last cruise) conduced to a relaxing of the standards of politeness. My wife and I dance; we spent a lot of time in the bar dancing to the live music. One of the other passengers came up to us, clearly staggering from drink, and after congratulating us on our dancing ability, told us that the "only thing wrong with you is that you're not British." I wasnt sure if he meant that as a criticism or a compliment, but we were able to ignore him for the rest of the trip.

We usually dine with people we have already met on our cruise, and have always had a good time. Our favorite dining companion is Charlie (aka cechase). We had some great times during dinner last Nov. And, I can't forget "the Jersey girls".

Just a shame that some folks have to act as if it is a "Frat" party. Betcha a dollar that these people have a drinking problem and are like this everywhere.

Betcha a dollar that these people have a drinking problem and are like this everywhere.

My thought exactly. I have not encountered anyone that was drunk. (thankfully!) I have seen some that were tipsy, but in no way unpleasant.

In fact, I've been tipsy myself on occasion:), but I definitely stop at that point!

I totally agree about these rude idiots. The petty complaints are not even legitimate complaints...

Wouldn't it be funny if the cruiselines constituted a new rule that at the end of the trip the crew will vote on the rudest passenger(s) "

How funny and quite close to my suggestion at a VOLENDAM Q & A that instead of US getting comment cards to rate the cruise the crew should be given comment cards and rate us passengers. After all, THEY live there, we're just visiting!

Two weeks ago, on the Istanbul to Venice cruise, I sent a letter to the Silver Wind cruise director, explaining that I was a dancer and really wished that the smoking section of the Bar were not close to the dance floor. I wasnt loud or unpleasant about it. I suggested that the smoking section could be moved to the other side of the Bar area merely by posting a sign or two, and placing the ash trays there; certainly, there was no special ventilation in that section of the bar which would have made any difference.

On your first cruise with this company, you are suggesting the officers move their butts to the other side of the room. I would think a first cruise would be used to determine a fit for the future, not to make the ship over to your liking.

• 2 weeks later...
I totally agree about these rude idiots. The petty complaints are not even legitimate complaints...

Wouldn't it be funny if the cruiselines constituted a new rule that at the end of the trip the crew will vote on the rudest passenger(s) "

How funny and quite close to my suggestion at a VOLENDAM Q & A that instead of US getting comment cards to rate the cruise the crew should be given comment cards and rate us passengers. After all, THEY live there, we're just visiting!

I love this idea but think the exercise should take place at the time of the infraction. The director should poll the crew and guests who have observed the questionable behavior. If the behavior is deemed rude and obnoxious, said guest should be put into a dinghy and dragged behind the ship for 1 hour so they can take time to reconsider their behavior.

I guarantee they will not be rude again. I think it might also be great entertainment for those of us who are grateful for everything we are able to do and respect people. :D:D:D

Archived