Restaurant Recommendations

gquest

I ate at La Conchita del Caribe in December. Great conch civeche.

Here is a review of it I found on http://www.cozumel-vacation-rental-homes.com:

--This unassuming place up on Avenida 65 4 blocks south of Calle 11 (Any Cabbie can take you there.) has the freshest seafood in town and a caracol (couch) ceviche to die for. We think this is the best seafood restaurant in town for the basics. Which means no fancy sauces. Your choice of breaded and fried, sauteed in oil with garlic or grilled. The ceviche at around $9 for a large bowl is really outstanding and can be gotten take out as well. Lunch only 11:30 to around 4:30 Closed Sundays. Not a fancy place. But very clean, airy and pleasant. And fresh, fresh seafood.

I would agree, but I'd correct the hours of operation to be 11:00 am to 7:00 pm. Prices seemed very reasonable.

Well, it depends on what you are looking for...

-Conchita del Caribe is my favorite seafood place for conch (ceviche or otherwise) and fresh friend whole fish.

For more traditional "mexican" food you might like-

-Sabores on 5th between 5 and 10 for lunch 11-4 pm Mon-Fri only. Great food for $40 pesos.

-La Choza (yes, they have re-opened!) on the corner of 10 and Salas. I like their breakfast but not their other food except for tortilla soup.

-Casa Denis (my favorite for cream of avocado soup) located in the square.

-Los Tres Patitos for breakfast empanadas (filled with carne, potato, cheese, or beans) for $3 pesos each. That's all they serve and you stand up at the outdoor counter.

The list is almost endless since there are so many great little local places that have incredible food. Pancho's is so-so in my opinion. I view it as a tourist trap - very few people other than tourists go there, food ok but expensive.

We absolutely love Pancho's Backyard. Been there 4 times and will be back there in about 5 weeks. :) Our opinion - serves best quacamole we've ever tasted and the margaritas are strong, satisfying and too soon finished.

Pancho's main restaurant at the far end of the shopping district has a great marimba band as well.

Dianne

Heard alot of positive reviews on the Sonora Grill as Sally mentioned above. We are looking for truely authentic mexican cuisine, no american food, no mahi, no burgers, etc. just ordinary authentic mexican tacos, enchalidas, nachos, habanaro sauce, great salsa, etc. Can anybody recommend a dining establishment that would give us what werre looking for? Thank you.

I really enjoyed Cafe San Miguel last time I was there. It's not a fancy spot, but the food was excellent as was the service. The bar in the back had a neat waterfall down one of the walls. It was a neat feature. I can't remember the address of the restaurant though... maybe someone else can help with that!

Have been to La Choza for dinner... I personally was not completely impressed, but we were also hoping for a Margarita, and happened to be in Coz on a day where alcohol wasn't served. The food was "okay", the tortilla soup was very yummy... but the meal itself was not really great...that being said, most Americans are accustomed to "American Mexican Food" which is completely different and different "flavors", so it was not La Choza's fault, as they came highly recommended. It was very inexpensive though, and good for experimenting authentic Mexican.... just be warned, when the 3 guys come over and start playing music in front of your table, wave them away! LOL! Because afterwards they will hold their hands out and inform you that they played, you pay :eek: Interesting, LOL!

Sabores...yummm! Also for seafood, a place called Camilo's across from the side entrance of the sports bar, right near the plaza.

For huaraches and quesadillas filled with your choice of chicken tinga, beef with onions, pastor-style pork, rajas, and lots more choices that I've forgotten, choose Chilango's on 30th ave. They open at 6pm I believe. VERY hole-in-the-wall atmosphere! You'll likely be watching a Mexican soap opera while you eat...or soccer!

Sabores is only open weekdays noon to 4pm. Chilango's is a good choice, and very cheap. Expect to be the only "gringos" in there.

For something more upscale, the Mexican platter at Sonora Grill includes:

Your choice of grilled chicken breast or beef

A chile relleno

A chicken enchilada with mole sauce

A quesadilla

Guacamole

Rice

Beans

Chips

Pico de gallo (chopped tomatoes, onion, cilantro, and chile pepper in lime juice)

All for about $10. Stop by the minigolf first to get a coupon for a free drink with your meal. The minigolf is just one block from Sonora Grill. Watch out! They make a potent margarita.

I realize "mole sauce" sounds awful but it really is very tasty and makes the dish. Its not what your thinking, let me try to explain it to maybe what your familiar with.....chinese food, hoisen sauce....looks like that the same color and texture but has a different taste, milder and real good! Don't let the words fool you as the word ****ake mushroom I am sure that doesn't bother you. I am smiling laughing at that, don't know how they came up with the ____ word in the ****ake mushroom. LOL Hope I explained it ok to you? :)

Sally recommended Sonora Grill to us several years ago...it is now our Cozumel tradition. We would never visit Cozumel with without a visit to our favorite restaurant. BUT...as stated before the margarita's are potent and very smooth. I had 2 and well lets just say part of the day is a blur :-)

Hey, does anyone happen to know what the hours are for Sonora? Sounds like that might be a nice place to visit after PB....and approx how far/cost to get from PB to Sonora.

Thanks in advance :D

p.s. Did anyone notice that it blurbed out sh.itake mushroom, hehe!

Hi:) some mole sauce actually has chocolate cooked into it......a dark sauce...that is delicious.

Serene, it is pronounced mole..not like the animal...but with an accent over the e cannot do it on this pc...LOL...but hoping you get the point.

Archived