How do you secure your compter on board?

charliem

Ours fits in the safe....never had a problem. There are locking cases and cables that can be used to lock the case to something stationary, if you don't feel confident with the safe.

If you take your lap top pc on board with you, how do you keep it safe from theft?

Thanks for the advice.

We put it in one of our suit cases & lock it . There have been posts on this thread that people just leave it exposed & they said no problem of theft in their stae room . It is your choice ;but,I always think out of sight out of mind.

We are taking my small laptop, to use for downloading pics, even though our cannon can hold more than a thousand pics...we certainly wont be wasting time with using the computer for anything else...its vacation!!! not sit in front of a monitor :) Since ours is small, perfect for travel it fits in the safe just fine!

I bring a small netbook and because it has access to sensitive business material on it, i understand your saftey concerns. I have always found it to fit in the safe and am happy with that, but I also dont save any user names or passwords on it, which is just good practice.

I always just put mine in a drawer. It's too big for the safe. I've never had a problem.

I bring an older laptop without anything confidential on it. If it gets stolen, it's probably worth less than $300. If your laptop is an expensive model or has confidential business/personal info, you might consider getting a $300 netbook at your local Costco/Sams Club or Amazon.

Have it when you leave your cabin(s) in a drawer.

You did take a picture of it, yes?

You have a good insurance policy too?

As in so many cruising items ..do not bring anything you will have a kanipshun over if lost/stolen and/or sunk..

If you take your lap top pc on board with you, how do you keep it safe from theft?

We have solved the computer security problem with a two phased approach.

First, the War Department (a.k.a. Mrs. B.) would never leave home without her prized collection of custom engraved manhole covers. Once we get to our cabin we simply have one of the shipfitters weld the laptop to one of the heavier manhole covers.;)

Next we surround the laptop with an array of more expensive decoy items for the thieves to steal, namely our SCUBA gear. We make an attractive display surrounding the laptop of our primary dive computers, backup dive computers, regulators, BCD's and so forth. This stuff is probably worth some $3,000 more than the laptop and would therefore be more tempting to any right minded thief.

So far though none of these items have disappeared from our cabin.

:):D:)

Thanks for the advice.

Charliem - Don't bring it!!!:) If you are Elite and your significant other is Elite you get 90 free minutes of internet each... Also, the internet is on the slow side -- so it will cost you quite a bit. Unless you need it for business to make some real $$$$ to pay for the cost of the ships internet -- don't bother -- the 90 mins each was more than enough for us..

After all -- we were on vacation from our delightful family...:p

We have nothing important on it - We use it to take notes, view pictures and sometimes watch DVDs

If it gets stolen - DW will have to let me buy a new one -- it's about 7 years old -- Worth $0. It still does a lot more than a netbook, but doesn't fit itn the safe ;)

Charliem - Don't bring it!!!:) If you are Elite and your significant other is Elite you get 90 free minutes of internet each... Also, the internet is on the slow side -- so it will cost you quite a bit. Unless you need it for business to make some real $$$$ to pay for the cost of the ships internet -- don't bother -- the 90 mins each was more than enough for us..

After all -- we were on vacation from our delightful family...:p

My feelings exactly.I love my computer and spend hours on it but I sure do not drag it on a cruise.:D

My feelings exactly.I love my computer and spend hours on it but I sure do not drag it on a cruise.:D

teajak - Amen... Thank you... We also love the outlet center near you... We come over from the east coast once or twice a year to visit...:)

When we are at sea, we usually just put our laptop in a drawer. Sometimes when we're in port & going to be out all day, we lift the bed, open the suitcase & put it in there. The Steward isn't gonna take it, it's too risky & a great chance he'll (she'll) get caught. You really only have to worry about your fellow passengers. I think it would be easy to get caught lifting a bed, opening a suitcase & taking the laptop. If you want to lock your suitcase, go ahead, but I saw a video of how to open a suitcase with a Bic pen. I tried it (on my own suitcase, or course), it's easy & very quick. Doesn't hurt the suitcase!

I am actually very surprised that not only do so many not secure their stuff, but that it has not dissapeared.

I secure everything as I usually have multiple cameras and a laptop.

Here is what I do to secure my stuff in the cabin or any hotel room. I bring a laptop cable lock to secure my suitcases under the beds in the cabin, or to a table in the hotel room. Once the cabin wall safe is filled, I secure other belongings in my suitcase using the laptop cable lock .

The cable has a loop on one end. I take the non looped end, run it through the bottom of the metal bed frame, not the leg of the bed frame. I then run the non looped end and run it through the loop on the cable. If this sounds confusing, think of a yo-yo string and how the loop on the string attaches to your finger. Thus the looped end of my cable is now tethered to the bed. I take the other end on the laptop cable, which is only a combination or key lock at the non looped end, and I run just the cable through a small sturdy travel padlock that holds two zippers together on my suitcase. My suitcase is locked just as I would lock it when checking it in on an airplane trip.

To better illustrate this, think of securing padlock with the yo yo string running through the closed padlock where it would be over the end of the yo-yo string nearest the yo-yo. Once the padlock is secured, you would be unable to pull the yo-yo through the top of the padlock. Thus once the skinny cable is run through the loop of the padlock and the padlock is locked through the zippers on the suitcase, the cable easily slides through the padlock for the length of the cable, but big end of the cable cannot be take out of the closed padlock, and the suitcase is now tethered to the cable on one end and to the bed on the other end. It may then take only 15- 30 seconds to pull the suitcase out from under the bed, access you stuff, then securre it again.

It will still go under the bed easily and come out easily for quick and easy access, but it secures your stuff in any hotel room or cabin. Perfect solution? No, but my stuff is no longer an easy target for someone and it is easy to see if anything was tampered with. I feel if I eliminate the opportunity, the crooks go elsewhere. Probably more important to secure my stuff in a hotel than a cabin, but most crimes are done because of the opportunity. Many times it is done by someone whom would not typically do such a thing but if a money or drug problem is on their mind and an opportunity presented, make people do things they never thought they would.

Call me untrusting, but at least I still have my stuff.

We travel with a notebook and we have no personal info saved on it. We do internet & download pix. I have never felt unsafe on any ship or any AI resort that we frequent.

These workers do NOT want to loose their jobs, why on earth would they steal????? We leave it on the counter & have never had any trouble.

I am actually very surprised that not only do so many not secure their stuff, but that it has not dissapeared.

Call me untrusting, but at least I still have my stuff.

15 cruises in 8 years. We have never locked up our cameras ( multiple digital cameras) or lap top, and we still have all of our stuff.

Archived