Summit April 10-17 AMAZING CRUISE!!!!!!

GaryNFla

We started our trip by flying into San Juan a day early. We booked a room at the Sheraton OSJ. The flight in was easy and uneventfull. The hotel was better than I expected and the location was perfect for 1 night as we could walk anywhere we needed to go. Weny to Mojito's for lunch and had the best Mojito's I have ever tasted. We had dinner at Al Dente (Italian) in OSJ and we were blown away. The food was superb and the staff was excellent. I highly reccomend this place. Great wine selection as well.

Saturday at 11:30 we headed to board the ship. It took us about a 1 hour wait to get on but the ship did not sail until 8:30 so I suggest not heading to the port until after lunch. We checked in quickly and were greeted with mimosas and champage..Nice touch as always by Celebrity. We headed right up to the Waterfall Bar to let the bar staff know there would be 80 Cruise Critic friends meeting there at 4:00 and to make sure everyone was take care of and stock the shelves well. Mamat that was the bartender and Ivan the waiter were incredible and everyday met us with smiles and plenty of cold beverages. They were both incredible and went out of their way to meet our every need.

Our cabin and the ship...Oh my..Corner aft Family Veranda..Huge balcony and large cabin. I would book any corner aft on any M-class in a heartbeat. We had a party in the cabin on our sea day and I am sure it was close to 30 there and it never felt crowded. The room had a floor to ceiling divider and when close made for 2 private sleeping areas. It was a great cabin and it was in great shape. Our Cabin steward was Newton and he is the most amazing cabin steward I have ever seen. He helped with our party and like the pro he is he exceded our every wish. His assistant Jorge was just as good and never once stopped smiling when we saw either of them. The ship we found to in great shape for a 12 year old ship and everyday we saw staff constantly doing everything they could to maintain her beauty. Contrary to some posts I still say this is one beautiful ship and one would have to look hard for any flaws.

Ports of Call..

St Thomas We did not book anything and decided to make a lazy day and just do a little shopping. I found the prices to not be a bargain and other than one piece of jewelry we did not purchase anything.

St Croix We loved St Croix. We took the Gecko Island tour and everyone in our group including us, loved it. I would book with them again in a heartbeat.The ATV's were a blast.

St Kitts Another lazy day due to the rain.. Did a little shopping and back on the ship for lunch and a nap..

St Johns, Antigua I loved this island. We booked a excursion direct with Creole tours. We snorkeled at Bird Island which was amazing. Then had a incredible lunch of grilled lobster and all the fixings right on this private beach. The food was superb and so was the run punch.We snorkled at another spot loaded with starfish, another great experience. I highly reccomend this excursion.

St Lucia Another beautiful island!! We booked with Cosol tours and enjoyed the tour very much. Cosol made sure he took care of his group and did a wonderful job. Awesome local foods, beer and rum punch included in the price. Again, I reccomend this tour.

Food.. The food in general was very good. It was obvious of some cutbacks but I am sure it is the same with all cruiselines. All in all I enjoyed all of the food. We did the specialty restaraunt twice and the food and service there is incredible. I enjoyed both dinners very much and will dine there again and our next adventure..

Fellow travelers.. We were part of over 80 newly made online Cruse Critic friends. We had such a great time with them. As soon as we met, it was like we already knew each other and it made the trip for us. We made friendships that we hope to carry with us forever. To each of you I thank you! It was so nice sharing drinks, meals, excursions.

This was the best cruise I have ever been on and I would book this ship and itennary again. Please feel free to email or post any questions.

Gary

Gary - thanks for sharing!

100% agree about the aft balcony staterooms... heaven on earth (both CC aft & Family Verandas). Something besides the T-pool that was greatly missed on S-class ships!

Also enjoyed Newton's service on Summit... you must have been on deck 7! :rolleyes:

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Gary - thanks for sharing!

100% agree about the aft balcony staterooms... heaven on earth (both CC aft & Family Verandas). Something besides the T-pool that was greatly missed on S-class ships!

Also enjoyed Newton's service on Summit... you must have been on deck 7! :rolleyes:

Yes we were on deck 7... Newton was amazing!!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Yes we were on deck 7... Newton was amazing!!

So glad to hear that you enjoyed your cruise. We also loved the summit when we were on her in March - great ship! Just cannot understand all the negative comments. We had a great time.

Hi Gary,:) thanks for your review and glad you had such a wonderful time.

I will be back on her next month and can't wait:D. I sailed in January

and had a great cruise too. Nice to know others enjoyed themselves

as well:D

we booked deck 8 aft.....too bad I didn't read this first....eheheheheh... Cruising in nov. looking forward to it. I haven't cruised with Celebrity for a few years and just loved a HAL- which they both seemed similar from my memory. We have also done a Cosol tour- what a great time!! It was the hi-light of the trip for us all. Now on our last trip from San Juan- we stayed at Condado plaza- still there but different name- we are on the look out for another hotel if possible- would love to be on the beach- or very close to one if possible for 2 nights pre cruise- how was the Shearton?? would that fit the bill??? Clean with a nice view/beach or pool.

thanks

brockmom

we booked deck 8 aft.....too bad I didn't read this first....eheheheheh... Cruising in nov. looking forward to it. I haven't cruised with Celebrity for a few years and just loved a HAL- which they both seemed similar from my memory. We have also done a Cosol tour- what a great time!! It was the hi-light of the trip for us all. Now on our last trip from San Juan- we stayed at Condado plaza- still there but different name- we are on the look out for another hotel if possible- would love to be on the beach- or very close to one if possible for 2 nights pre cruise- how was the Shearton?? would that fit the bill??? Clean with a nice view/beach or pool.

thanks

brockmom

We were also on Summit with Gary & gang. We stayed at the Renaissance La Concha. It is right on the beach and has been recently redone. It was beautiful and close to shopping areas. I would highly recommend this hotel. It is affiliated with Marriott properties.

Ken

Great report, Gary. So glad you and all the other CCs enjoyed your cruise on Summit. How many people did you have booked in your FV? I have read that you need at least 4 people. Sounds like you visited some wonderful ports too. Hope to sail this itinerary in the future and appreciate your input.

Hi Gary,

Thanks for posting. We're on the May 30 sailing from NJ and in cabin 7202 -- were you in 7202 or 7199? Hopefully the amazing Newton is assigned to 7202!!

Thanks,

Janice

I think Newton has all the aft cabins on deck 7..You will enjoy his services..

Gary, thanks for the great review.

In the Main Dining Room, was the food usually served hot?

(I ask because it's a topic on another thread) Thanks

I never found the MDR food piping hot or cold..It was served perfectly to me.. I don't care for food steaming hot..

We started our trip by flying into San Juan a day early. We booked a room at the Sheraton OSJ. The flight in was easy and uneventfull. The hotel was better than I expected and the location was perfect for 1 night as we could walk anywhere we needed to go. Weny to Mojito's for lunch and had the best Mojito's I have ever tasted. We had dinner at Al Dente (Italian) in OSJ and we were blown away. The food was superb and the staff was excellent. I highly reccomend this place. Great wine selection as well.

Saturday at 11:30 we headed to board the ship. It took us about a 1 hour wait to get on but the ship did not sail until 8:30 so I suggest not heading to the port until after lunch. We checked in quickly and were greeted with mimosas and champage..Nice touch as always by Celebrity. We headed right up to the Waterfall Bar to let the bar staff know there would be 80 Cruise Critic friends meeting there at 4:00 and to make sure everyone was take care of and stock the shelves well. Mamat that was the bartender and Ivan the waiter were incredible and everyday met us with smiles and plenty of cold beverages. They were both incredible and went out of their way to meet our every need.

Our cabin and the ship...Oh my..Corner aft Family Veranda..Huge balcony and large cabin. I would book any corner aft on any M-class in a heartbeat. We had a party in the cabin on our sea day and I am sure it was close to 30 there and it never felt crowded. The room had a floor to ceiling divider and when close made for 2 private sleeping areas. It was a great cabin and it was in great shape. Our Cabin steward was Newton and he is the most amazing cabin steward I have ever seen. He helped with our party and like the pro he is he exceded our every wish. His assistant Jorge was just as good and never once stopped smiling when we saw either of them. The ship we found to in great shape for a 12 year old ship and everyday we saw staff constantly doing everything they could to maintain her beauty. Contrary to some posts I still say this is one beautiful ship and one would have to look hard for any flaws.

Ports of Call..

St Thomas We did not book anything and decided to make a lazy day and just do a little shopping. I found the prices to not be a bargain and other than one piece of jewelry we did not purchase anything.

St Croix We loved St Croix. We took the Gecko Island tour and everyone in our group including us, loved it. I would book with them again in a heartbeat.The ATV's were a blast.

St Kitts Another lazy day due to the rain.. Did a little shopping and back on the ship for lunch and a nap..

St Johns, Antigua I loved this island. We booked a excursion direct with Creole tours. We snorkeled at Bird Island which was amazing. Then had a incredible lunch of grilled lobster and all the fixings right on this private beach. The food was superb and so was the run punch.We snorkled at another spot loaded with starfish, another great experience. I highly reccomend this excursion.

St Lucia Another beautiful island!! We booked with Cosol tours and enjoyed the tour very much. Cosol made sure he took care of his group and did a wonderful job. Awesome local foods, beer and rum punch included in the price. Again, I reccomend this tour.

Food.. The food in general was very good. It was obvious of some cutbacks but I am sure it is the same with all cruiselines. All in all I enjoyed all of the food. We did the specialty restaraunt twice and the food and service there is incredible. I enjoyed both dinners very much and will dine there again and our next adventure..

Fellow travelers.. We were part of over 80 newly made online Cruse Critic friends. We had such a great time with them. As soon as we met, it was like we already knew each other and it made the trip for us. We made friendships that we hope to carry with us forever. To each of you I thank you! It was so nice sharing drinks, meals, excursions.

This was the best cruise I have ever been on and I would book this ship and itennary again. Please feel free to email or post any questions.

Gary

Gary;

Thanks for posting your review. Glad you had such a great cruise.....:):):)

Bob

Gary,

Glad you had a great time. It is wonderful to read a positive review of this ship, since the most recent info has been bad.

Do you remember what movies they were playing in the theatre?

How was the evening entertainment?

Any menu reccomendations?

Gary,

Glad you had a great time. It is wonderful to read a positive review of this ship, since the most recent info has been bad.

Do you remember what movies they were playing in the theatre?

How was the evening entertainment?

Any menu reccomendations?

The only one I remember was Slum Dog Millionaire...I am sure there was more..I will look at my dailies when I get home and report back...

The only one I remember was Slum Dog Millionaire...I am sure there was more..I will look at my dailies when I get home and report back...

Thanks if you could look and see if their was a tour of the kitchen/cookingarea as well that would be great!:hugsandkisses:

Thanks if you could look and see if their was a tour of the kitchen/cookingarea as well that would be great!:hugsandkisses:

Hi Sarah:) tours are not usually listed in the dailies. They are quite

often given by invitation.

Hi Sarah:) tours are not usually listed in the dailies. They are quite

often given by invitation.

The galley tour and bridge tour was arranged by some at the "Connections" party when we cruised the Millie last January. Another good reason to sign up for the party.

Archived