Has anyone ever gotten a table for 2 on Traditional Dining?

denlishen

My hubby and I are going on the Sapphire May 30th to Alaska, first time on Princess and first time just the 2 of us. We do not want to sit with anybody and have requested a table for 2 on first seating traditional (confirmed already). Is that ever going to happen? Should we just swith to anytime dining? After reading reviews it seems that all the traditional tables are for 4-5+ people.

Also, would it be possible for me to keep my traditional seating and then just go to the anytime if I don't like where they have put me? Or do they know that you are not on anytime and will not let you eat in those dining rooms?

Of course, I don't want to bump somebody else out either that would have wanted our slots in the trad. dining.)

What would you do?

Thanx

My hubby and I are going on the Sapphire May 30th to Alaska, first time on Princess and first time just the 2 of us. We do not want to sit with anybody and have requested a table for 2 on first seating traditional (confirmed already). Is that ever going to happen? Should we just swith to anytime dining? After reading reviews it seems that all the traditional tables are for 4-5+ people.

Also, would it be possible for me to keep my traditional seating and then just go to the anytime if I don't like where they have put me? Or do they know that you are not on anytime and will not let you eat in those dining rooms?

Of course, I don't want to bump somebody else out either that would have wanted our slots in the trad. dining.)

What would you do?

Thanx

We just did on the Ruby and have many times on the Sapphire/Diamond.

Talk to the Maitre'D after boarding.

They do have tables for two in TD, but sometimes the demand is greater than the supply. If you do not like the table you are assigned to, you can talk to the Maitre 'd. He may be able to change you to a table for 2 in TD. If not, you can change from TD to AD. Just talk to the Maitre 'd.

In AD, there will be tables for two, but there is no guarentee one will be empty when you arrive. You may have to wait to be seated.

We had a table for 2 in 1st seating traditional on Emerald a few months ago. We were cruising during our anniversary, and before the cruise my wife had asked Princess if we could reserve a table for two. They said they couldn't promise anything, and the 1st night we were seated at a table for 4. We asked the Maitre'd if we could have a table for two. He said he would see what he could do and the next night we had one.

There seemed to be several available, although most of them were "galley style". Just a long bench with a row of small tables in front of it and one chair on the other side of each table. So while they were tables for two, each couple would be right next to other couples on either side. We got lucky and got a true table for two not immediately next to other seats.

We have always received a table for two when requested. We always do TD, late seating. It's nice because if you want to talk to the people at the two top next too you you are very close, but if you choose not to that is fine as well.

As said before, if you don't get what you requested see if they can change on the second night.

Why take the chance ? Change your request to Anytime Dining .

Same menu . We always get a table for 2 , never fails (although sometimes you may get a pager ).:)

If they like the dining time, they can stay with TD. Upon boarding go to assigned dining room and check table. If it is a table for 2, they are good. Got the table they want and no risk of pager. If no, go to Maitre 'd and ask to switch. That is usually no problem as TD is almost always wait listed.

One thing in your favor; they usually use one of the four AD rooms for first traditional on Sapphire. Thus, between the banquettes and traditional two-tops, and a few in the International as well, there's more opportunity.

We like a two-top, and on four jam-packed Sapphire sailings, we never had a problem getting one in Anytime.

denlishen,

When you first get on check in with the Maitre D, he is usally in one of the dinning rooms around 12:30 when you first sail. Have him show you where you table is, if it not to your liking ask for a change. We just got off the Sapphire and had a table for 2 (table # 141) in the Vivaldi dinning room. Table 141 was one of the few tables for two that are not packed side by side.

We wanted to do traditional and were on the wait list til about 1 week prior and then got traditional. We had asked for a table to share say 6 people but instead were assigned a table for 2. There are a lot of tables for two in the Ruby traditional dining. They are close to other tables for two so you can either have privacy (of sorts) or talk easily to others near you.

Just curious, why a table for two? Are there advantages? Our last two cruises (other cruise lines) we endend up sitting at large tables 6-8 alone when we requested a large table. Our most fun and memorable cruises have been when we have been seated at a large table with people we have never met before. Now, we still keep in touch.

Being by ourselves seems to be the least memorable because of not having the lively laughter at dinner. When we are seated with a group we tend to close the dining room and practically have to get thrown out. When by ourselves we seem to have to wait on each course because we are ahead of the timing of the kitchen.

Is there an advantage to a 2pp table I am missing?

Just curious, why a table for two? Are there advantages? Our last two cruises (other cruise lines) we endend up sitting at large tables 6-8 alone when we requested a large table. Our most fun and memorable cruises have been when we have been seated at a large table with people we have never met before. Now, we still keep in touch.

Being by ourselves seems to be the least memorable because of not having the lively laughter at dinner. When we are seated with a group we tend to close the dining room and practically have to get thrown out. When by ourselves we seem to have to wait on each course because we are ahead of the timing of the kitchen.

It appears that some people don't like meeting people.

Thanks for all the helpful responses. I'm glad to hear that it more than likely won't be a problem. =) I wouldn't even mind the 2-tops close together.

And as far as why I don't want a larger table, it's mainly just that I have never sat with stangers at dinner before and I am very nervous and shy around other people so I figure it best for me (and them) to spare us both from awkwardness. Plus this is our 13th anniversary cruise and hoping to spend more time with my husband one on one. =)

Thanks everyone!

I think it all depends on what you want out of your cruise vacation. Don't get me wrong, we enjoy meeting people, and met several people we talked to at the pool areas and even exchanged e-mail addresses with and have kept in touch with.

However, my wife and I have jobs that demand long hours, and our schedules don't always meet up, we don't eat dinner together every night, nor spend a lot of quality time together as a result.

So, when we go on vacation, including a cruise, we tend to dine by ourselves, so we can just enjoy each others company. We aren't trying to be anti-social generally, we just don't get the time together that most couples do day to day. That is why when we are on a cruise without our family, we get a table for two. My .02 cents worth...

Mike

Makes sence being an anniversary and shy. We have always wanted a large table & tried to make everyone feel "at home" at dinner. With a group of 8 at a table everyone feels a little awkward at first then it is good to see a 'friend' on the ship throughout the cruise. With a large group there is less chance of being the dud at the table. Our most memorable dinner incidents were when were seated at a "four top", let's just say they were memorable and not good.

We had a group of close friends that we sailed with and "Adopted" a young couple on their first cruise to join us when they were seated at a table of Non-english speaking passengers. They were great, and with our experience we gave them tips on getting the most of what they wanted to do on their cruise.

Have a great cruise, hope you get your "two top".

Archived