Does anyone leave their "furbabies" behind?

Kinkacruiser

Now that we are retired and have the means to travel at least once a year, we are faced with boarding our much loved 8 year old Siamese and German Shepherd during cruise times.

I feel guilty, especially with the long 5 week stint they will have next year in the boarding kennel/cattery. To date their longest stay has been 3 weeks and it's always at the same boarding kennel. The reunions are just wonderful.

We have no family close by who could care for them and even if we did , I would worry that they would run away and we'd never see them again. There is something reassuring about the safety aspect of a boarding kennel.

Is anyone else in a similar situation and wish to share their thoughts about long term boarding?

My 11 year old German Shepherd boards with our dog trainer (no one else wants him). He gets to go on hikes and play with the few other dogs he will tolerate. He comes home in better shape than when he left.

He is very strong and tends to be dog aggressive. He also knows when people are intimated by him. When I had boarded him at a regular kennel I was never sure he was getting the added times out of the kennel I requested; the kennel staff didn't seem that enthusiastic about walking him past other cages.

My Doberman Pinscher goes back to her breeder. There she gets to play with one sister, some cousins, her mother, an aunt, and a grandmother. From the time I took her home as a puppy she visits the breeder weekly and plays with everyone. I think she is as comfortable there as at home, maybe more so because there are fewer rules there.

Many years ago I had a Lhasa Apso. We boarded him at a kennel where they cooked for the dogs and he got beef stew every day. While he was there, there weren't many other dogs so the owner left his cage open and he followed her everywhere. When I came to pick him up after three weeks I petted him for a while and then said it was time to go home. He went right back into his kennel!

One dog expert had told me that dogs don't have a sense of time, that three days or three weeks were about the same to them. It probably bothers me more to be away from them for a long period of time than it bothers them.

I live on a farm so my furbabies are fortunate that they still have the run of the place even when im not thier.

My cat is particularly attached to me and he has a fit if I leave for any amount of time. He will actually come when I call about 9.9 out of 10 times. I suspect the other time he is out of hearing range or inside.

I have a farm cat who has lived his whole life going inside and outside and has a cat door. He is purrfectly adapted to living inside and outside. In the winter he is like 99.9 percent an indoor cat and in the summer he is like 90% an outdoor cat. But he also has a soft bed to lay on, his food and water at his beck and call anytime. Im his maid and housekeeper, petter and prime companion. He has me trained exactly the way he wants me and has the rest of the family trained. In short he has everything the way he wants it about 99.999.999 percent of the time and if it isent his way. He makes sure we know about it immedently lol.

Adri :)

In our town they have places let pet places that are better then kennals. Our is called endless pet palace. You pay for what type of service of room you want. They are also people out there that will come and take care of them in your home.. Just have them checked out first. I have a pet that is spoiled beyond spoiled. He is use to running around the house. Lucky for me I have family I usually pay to come stay with him. I would hate to put him in a kennel...... I would have to look into the pet place and pay for the luxury room....

Good luck

We've always had furbabies and we used to take them to kennels where nice people took care of them, but they came home with fleas and a couple times with kennel cough. And these were highly rated facilities. So about 10 years ago we found a service that comes to our house twice a day and lets them out, walks the one that needs it, feeds the cat, gives meds to the old two (we have five total dogs of mixed ages and one cat) and they are so happy. We don't get the same greeting that we did when we picked them up, so we take that as meaning - "oh were you gone, we were here at home living our normal life and didn't notice you were gone."

Thanks for sharing your furbabies boarding experiences. I am feeling more consoled/ less anxious about the longer than usual stay for them now. It's not easy having the best of both world's (travel and pets) but if we can accept the decision of boarding them amicably, then we can enjoy our cruises/holidays without the worry.

I wonder if that is the case about time differentiation, Basil's mom?

Your pets will act all hurt and dejected when you leave them, but once you're home, they'll love you just the same.

They'll be fine. You'll be fine. Just find the right kennel for you...it can make all the difference!

One of the tv "experts" (I can't remember which one) said that and both my dog trainer and vet have said it. I'm not sure how they know.

My German Shepherd goes as crazy when I get home after six hours as he does when I am gone for weeks. The Doberman puppy is happy to see me when I get home from a trip but I don't think she would really care if I was gone for months:(

I would love to be able to have someone just come over and feed and walk the dogs but the German Shepherd wouldn't let anyone in the house.

We used to have a sensible teenage neighbour who would come in to our house and look after the cats, and we paid her kennel fees minus the food costs. We were all happy, but teens grow up and move on.

Our dog stays at the house of friends, where she's used to them all, and we either reciprocate, or buy them something very special. It did mean that last week, we had our Border Collie, their Sheltie and Springer, and a house full of beaten up toys.......:eek:

Jo.

They have a climate controlled doggie boarding/daycare facility and our dogs go there. They have a little room with two doggie twin beds with a furry thing. The beds and the suite is washed every day. They go for playtime in a big white-picket fenced in area with that new turf that is washable and it's washed and cleaned every day. We found it before it even opened and our 2 miniature doxies get so excited they wee when we drop them off. They love their time spent there, but are overjoyed to see us back home. Dogs have no sense of time and can't tell 2 weeks from 2 hours, from what I'm told, but as long as we know they are happy so are we. We call home from the ports to check on them. We were told during one of the calls that one of them was (please excuse the details) constipated and he was feeding him mashed pumpkin to get him "regular" again. I'm telling you they are pampered to death.

Look for "all suites" under dog boarding.:)

They have a climate controlled doggie boarding/daycare facility and our dogs go there. They have a little room with two doggie twin beds with a furry thing. The beds and the suite is washed every day. They go for playtime in a big white-picket fenced in area with that new turf that is washable and it's washed and cleaned every day. We found it before it even opened and our 2 miniature doxies get so excited they wee when we drop them off. They love their time spent there, but are overjoyed to see us back home. Dogs have no sense of time and can't tell 2 weeks from 2 hours, from what I'm told, but as long as we know they are happy so are we. We call home from the ports to check on them. We were told during one of the calls that one of them was (please excuse the details) constipated and he was feeding him mashed pumpkin to get him "regular" again. I'm telling you they are pampered to death.

Look for "all suites" under dog boarding.:)

That's definitely a 5 star pet motel. There's a limited choice of 2 in our area and it's strictly basic kennelling there. Your babies are soooo lucky.:)

We leave our 2 Westies in a kennel. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them here. We bought a netbook and check in on them online everyday!! However, we are looking at a kennel that only boards small dogs, and offers playtime every day. They don't have a webcam. But, that's ok---I like the idea of them running around with other dogs every day, to pass the time.

It absolutely KILLS me to leave them. As much as we like to travel, we do hate to leave them. Plus, it is expensive---$50 -60 a day. We ended up only taking one trip this year, because of the cost. We knew when we got 2 dogs that we would face this issue, but they are worth it!

I know how you feel LindaM. If I know they are safe it's better for me. The thought of them escaping from a sitter's care to look for us worries me. I take a photos of them on the cruise but don't check on them during it. That would stress me too much.

Our kennel/cattery fees here are more reasonable AUD27 (USD 24) per day. The day I start to pack both of them become very anxious....they know what's about to happen.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I only have one dog now (had 3 for 8 years) and RiO spends his time when we cruise at the "spa" aka kennel. It's part of our vet's hospital, fabulous yard, loving staff.. and I never have to worry about a pet/house sitter forgetting something, not noticing he doesn't feel well etc. RiO used to not go in with a smile but now he trots off with Amanda or whoever comes out to get him .... off to his canvas orthopedic bed with his squeaky toys to serenade the staff and his quilt to curl up in.. "Senor Senior Dog" gets VIP treatment while we relax and get the same thing on the ship

Adri When is the Mariner going to port in Oct 2010? Just interested in maybe booking this for the All Hollows Eve...

I have four furbabies, they do not like when I go with DH and my grand children who are in their twenties leave us. We have a nice big house and they can run and jump around when we are gone. One of my cats last year, she chewed the inside lining of the suitcase. she was that upset.

My one dog Ralph The Kingmiester is the King of his Castle and its our home, he is a watch dog, a Malmu and we got him at a shelter that no one wanted him four years ago. He has one green eye and one blue eye very unusual for a Malmu from my point of view, he is super good dog. He watches over the house. The Mail man just drops the mail off when we are away in the outbox we have outside the house which has a lock to it, and it falls to the bottom. We have exchange family that comes from Switzerland each year when we go on holiday and they come and stay in our house. They get to see the city we get to go elsewheres. A great exchange for them. We provide them with a full refrigerator of all foods they like in exchange they watch the animals and take care of the litter boxes, and take Ralph the Kingmeister out on walks 2 times a day. For some fresh air at least, even though we have a big back yard and its fenced Ralph loves to go to the ball park across the street from us. He loves to play ball with the teenagers who amuck with their basketballs.

Well, We hate to leave our furbabies but what a choice do we have? I rather have this Swiss family come here than to have strangers come and ruin our house just to say that they came to america to see the city.

We leave our 2 Westies in a kennel. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving them here. We bought a netbook and check in on them online everyday!! However, we are looking at a kennel that only boards small dogs, and offers playtime every day. They don't have a webcam. But, that's ok---I like the idea of them running around with other dogs every day, to pass the time.

It absolutely KILLS me to leave them. As much as we like to travel, we do hate to leave them. Plus, it is expensive---$50 -60 a day. We ended up only taking one trip this year, because of the cost. We knew when we got 2 dogs that we would face this issue, but they are worth it!

Linda, Have you ever tried to have a live in or an exchange family to live in your house and care for your animals? We met a family we went to Switzerland ten years ago on one of our tours. We stayed in a Elder Hostel and met alot of nice people along the way. We kept in touch with this Swiss family of eight of them. Although we have a pool and a large home we invited them to visit us for 2 weeks nine years ago. They love our area where we live so close to the city and love the local plays by the locals in our area. They had a nice time. I did not hear from them for close to three weeks after they left I thought that they did not have a good time but far from that they did have a nice time. They decided to do an exchange of houses. One year in 2000 we went to their city and stayed at their house and they came to ours. It was so nice staying at someone elses house and sharing their customs with others around. I even learnt a few things about the Swiss I never knew before. My grand kids who live with us, who are older share our lives with us, since their parents divorce years ago, so they helped us out with our travel plans. I love having the exchange students and the Swiss family live in our house. I feel that if you get the right family they will care for your pets as much as we care for them as "part of our own family". Good luck to you,

Honey

Adri When is the Mariner going to port in Oct 2010? Just interested in maybe booking this for the All Hollows Eve...

I have four furbabies, they do not like when I go with DH and my grand children who are in their twenties leave us. We have a nice big house and they can run and jump around when we are gone. One of my cats last year, she chewed the inside lining of the suitcase. she was that upset.

My one dog Ralph The Kingmiester is the King of his Castle and its our home, he is a watch dog, a Malmu and we got him at a shelter that no one wanted him four years ago. He has one green eye and one blue eye very unusual for a Malmu from my point of view, he is super good dog. He watches over the house. The Mail man just drops the mail off when we are away in the outbox we have outside the house which has a lock to it, and it falls to the bottom. We have exchange family that comes from Switzerland each year when we go on holiday and they come and stay in our house. They get to see the city we get to go elsewheres. A great exchange for them. We provide them with a full refrigerator of all foods they like in exchange they watch the animals and take care of the litter boxes, and take Ralph the Kingmeister out on walks 2 times a day. For some fresh air at least, even though we have a big back yard and its fenced Ralph loves to go to the ball park across the street from us. He loves to play ball with the teenagers who amuck with their basketballs.

Well, We hate to leave our furbabies but what a choice do we have? I rather have this Swiss family come here than to have strangers come and ruin our house just to say that they came to america to see the city.

That's a dream arrangement you have. I envy you having this family available whenever you cruise.

I only have one dog now (had 3 for 8 years) and RiO spends his time when we cruise at the "spa" aka kennel. It's part of our vet's hospital, fabulous yard, loving staff.. and I never have to worry about a pet/house sitter forgetting something, not noticing he doesn't feel well etc. RiO used to not go in with a smile but now he trots off with Amanda or whoever comes out to get him .... off to his canvas orthopedic bed with his squeaky toys to serenade the staff and his quilt to curl up in.. "Senor Senior Dog" gets VIP treatment while we relax and get the same thing on the ship

Hi Caroline,

That sounds like a wonderful arrangement for Rio. I would like to have access to something similar, but we are very limited in "spa" choices.

It's good to know that so many cruisers almost feel comfortable leaving their babes behind.

Cheers,

Anna

Im taking the October 31st Boo cruise out of LA and I cant wait.. my furbaby cat named Grey is going to be grumpy when I go. He loves having me here.

Adri :)

We have a 7 year old pointer mix, I have tremendous guilt whenever we leave her. We always leave her at a doggie daycare so she plays all day; and at night she is so exhausted she is fast asleep and not thinking about us (hopefully :(). I think I probably take it much harder than she does. Yes, there have been tears. My DP tells me I am being silly but she's my baby and it's hard for me to leave her.

We used to go to a different place until the owners dog bit my dog and ripped her face open while we were on a cruise. They didn't even call us, my SIL happened to call to check in on her and they said "Oh are you coming to pick her up?" :confused:

Needless to say I was a basket case calling from Canada screaming like a lunatic...her poor face was ripped open she had so many stitches. :(She has never been the same since. She used to be sweet and playful but now she plays but is very cautious. Anyway the new place is awesome, they have web cams and someone is there 24 hours a day. We love it. Moral of the story trust your instincts. I really didn't like the first place especially after Jolie came home with kennel cough and eye infections but DP like it ( it was less expensive). I should have fought harder to take Jolie to the place I liked.

Archived