Southampton to London

Does anyone know what would be a safe time to book a National Express train to go from Southampton to London when we get off our cruise? Would we be able to make a 9am. train if we get off carrying our own luggage? How long would it take to get from the Princess dock to the station? Thanks for any help.

Does anyone know what would be a safe time to book a National Express train to go from Southampton to London when we get off our cruise? Would we be able to make a 9am. train if we get off carrying our own luggage? How long would it take to get from the Princess dock to the station? Thanks for any help.

PRINCESS normally docks at the Mayflower Terminal.

Sometimes they do also dock at Ocean Terminal or City Center Terminal.

It is too far to walk.

I would pre-book a taxi.

If you are earlier at the station:

2010POArt30920-vi.jpg

On my blog you find some impressions from the Bus Station in Southampton:

http://heinbloed-minis.blogspot.com/2010/04/tag-33-auf-der-artemis-in-southampton.html

Regards

HeinBloed

Also, I'd just like to point out National Express are coaches (from the bus station in Harbour Parade). Trains run from Southampton Central station. Trains are run by either SouthWest Trains (to Waterloo), or Southern Railway (to Victoria).

Simon

Also, I'd just like to point out National Express are coaches (from the bus station in Harbour Parade). Trains run from Southampton Central station. Trains are run by either SouthWest Trains (to Waterloo), or Southern Railway (to Victoria).

Simon

And Greyhound UK from Town Quay.

Regards

HeinBloed

You don't quote where in London you are heading.

Train or coach (National Express or Greyhound) are good for central London.

Train for Gatwick airport (LGW).

Coach (National Express) for Heathrow airport (LHR).

The other public transport options are a little complicated, so come back here if you have other intentions.

Princess have tended to sail from Mayflower terminal (berth 105/6), lately they sail more frequently from the new Ocean Terminal (berth 46), but from any of the four terminals, with luggage, it's a short taxi hop to train station, or National Express coach station (the spur of Harbour Parade to the left of Pirelli St on the map) or Greyhound coach stop at Town Quay. Taxi will take 5 to 10 minutes, £5 to £8.

General disembarkation usually starts around 7.30am, so you should have plenty of time, the only question mark is how many taxis there'll be - that usually depends on what other ships are turning round that day.

If you want to be ultra-cautious, you can disembark unsassisted mebbe 7am but I don't see the need, as long as you are prompt when general disembarkation starts, to avoid an excessively long line for a taxi.

I don't think you'll be able to pre-book a taxi for that short journey.

Trains to central London run a minimum of every 30 minutes so there's no great panic.

For map http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/plans.htm

For cruise ship schedule http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/cruise_ship.asp

John Bull

I don't think you'll be able to pre-book a taxi for that short journey.

You are!!!

2010POArt30804-vi.jpg

It was no problem...

You get a call the moment when the car arrives at the pick-up point...

2010POArt30805-vi.jpg

and it was no problem to get a car for the time you need without queuing...

2010POArt30806-vi.jpg

Regards

HeinBloed

Simon

Well, I was confused. I thought National Express was the train! Thanks for setting me straight. To answer another post- We're going to the Kennsington Hilton after the cruise. What station would be the closest? Would it be better to go bus or train?

Again thanks for your help. Cruise Critic people are the best!

You are!!!

2010POArt30804-vi.jpg

It was no problem...

You get a call the moment when the car arrives at the pick-up point...

2010POArt30805-vi.jpg

and it was no problem to get a car for the time you need without queuing...

2010POArt30806-vi.jpg

Regards

HeinBloed

Hi, HeinBloed.

Ouch :p

Then you've gotta be a pretty unpopular lady at the taxi office :D

I'm guessing you paid more than £5 ??

Not saying it wouldn't be worth it if you've a fairly tight schedule. :)

Regards

JB

ps heading to Berlin on tuesday for a few days, years since I've been there - did a very regulated coach trip through the Wall last time, anything special you think I should check out this time on the eastern side?

Then you've gotta be a pretty unpopular lady at the taxi office :D

No - but it was a very kind gentleman who has not mentioned anything about a too short and cheap tour and offered the service by confirmation in few minutes after I confirmed by e-mail. All correspondence went by e-mail with very quick replies.

I'm guessing you paid more than £5 ??

2010POArt30807-vi.jpg

Unfortunately the reflection of the flash does not allow to show the final amount: 3.80 GBP (excl. tip).

Not saying it wouldn't be worth it if you've a fairly tight schedule. :)

No - Heathrow was closed so we were not under any kind of time pressure. We were just to lazy to walk 20 minutes with our baggage from City Center Terminal to the Bus Station. As we are "nuts" to queue up for a taxi when all the ship is debarking we only prefer to have a dedicated car which waits for us.

did a very regulated coach trip through the Wall last time, anything special you think I should check out this time on the eastern side?

As I did not know your definition of last time:

Holocaust Memorial

and

new renovated buildings of the Museum Island

Regards

HeinBloed

Well, I was confused. I thought National Express was the train! Thanks for setting me straight. To answer another post- We're going to the Kennsington Hilton after the cruise. What station would be the closest? Would it be better to go bus or train?

No reason to be confused.

National Express has also a license to run train lines but due to unsuccess they want to stop the operation and return the right to run the trains.

But they are mainly THE coach operator like Greyhound in the US.

Check here:

http://www.traveline.org.uk/index.htm

for a full door-to-door-advise if you want all way by public transport.

If you like to take a taxi to the hotel:

Go to Victoria:

either train or coach - from here then a taxi.

Regards

HeinBloed

Take the London (Waterloo) train, 2 to 3 per hour.

It looks like you've got 3 basic choices:

Get off the train at Clapham Junction & change to London's overground train to Shepherds Bush station. Looks the best bet on paper.

Or stay on the train to its terminus at London (Waterloo) & take the tube to Shepherds Bush station - there are several options, all involve one change.

By taxi, your hotel is 4.5 boring miles from Clapham Junction or 6 miles, incl some city sights, from Waterloo.

But you need a London expert to advise which is best, esp with luggage, hopefully you'll get a response from Globaliser, His Lordship, HandfordR etc, or mebbe Simon knows.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

JB

Holocaust Memorial

and

new renovated buildings of the Museum Island

Regards

HeinBloed

Thanks, Heinbloed. last time in Berlin was about 30 yrs ago, my memories of the other side of the Wall are all about the experience rather than the sights, except for a Soviet military memorial park with typical huge Soviet statues.

Will delve into your suggestions.

Regards, JB

ps re short booked taxi trip, I think perhaps you have more charm than I ;)

Another option to put into the mix, and probably confuse you more :D

Take Heinbloed's suggestion of the Nat Express coach service, which runs to London (Victoria) coach station, but alight at Hammersmith Broadway, under 2 miles from your hotel, then grab a cab.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm

Enter your start as simply "Southampton", not cruise terminal etc.

Enter your destination as London (Hammersmith)

Trains Southampton to Victoria aren't as frequent as those to Waterloo, and they follow a slow & circuitous route.

JB

I think JB's suggestion of getting the NE coach towards Victoria, but getting off at Hammersmith is best, but be aware that not all services stop at Hammersmith. If you have to go to Victoria, grab a cab...it will be about £10, but a lot less hassle with luggage. One warning...avoid Clapham Junction like the plague!! You will have at least 25 steps to negotiate to get out of the station!

Simon

but it's not that bad at the junction and it's about 15 mins to Shepherd's Bush from there in a lovely new train rather than going on the tube. you don't need to come out of the station - down and then up to the platform, but people willing to lend a hand. Best way is the coach to Hammersmith ...

• 1 month later...

I have read this thread with great interest as we are novices re GB...and will be taking a British Isles cruise on Princess from port of Southampton..we just booked it & have lots of time but must learn alot!

We are looking for a very easy way to travel to and from Heathrow to our hotel in London pre-cruise (3days), and then from the hotel to the ship; and then from the ship in Southampton back to the airport for our flights home same day...we do not think a train will work well for us..

Is it best to hire a car company (limo service) for these tasks or should we try & order tranfers from the cruise line? If we book a hotel with the cruise line I believe it will include transfers but their hotel packages are a bit costly but it may be worth it if the transfers are expesive.. we do not know the distances or traffic conditions involved, making it harder to plan

What do these limo services run (US dollars) ?

We will also be looking for a nice city tour for one day in London--can we do it on our own with a hop on off bus? ...& a country tour to include Stonhenge for another day..

I have read this thread with great interest as we are novices re GB...and will be taking a British Isles cruise on Princess from port of Southampton..we just booked it & have lots of time but must learn alot!

We are looking for a very easy way to travel to and from Heathrow to our hotel in London pre-cruise (3days), and then from the hotel to the ship; and then from the ship in Southampton back to the airport for our flights home same day...we do not think a train will work well for us..

Is it best to hire a car company (limo service) for these tasks or should we try & order tranfers from the cruise line? If we book a hotel with the cruise line I believe it will include transfers but their hotel packages are a bit costly but it may be worth it if the transfers are expesive.. we do not know the distances or traffic conditions involved, making it harder to plan

What do these limo services run (US dollars) ?

We will also be looking for a nice city tour for one day in London--can we do it on our own with a hop on off bus? ...& a country tour to include Stonhenge for another day..

We used http://www.justairports.com and others have used http://www.simplyairports.co.uk. To get a quote use the first 2 letters and number of the hotel's postal code (our hotel in Victoria area is SW1). From the Victoria area to Heathrow is was about 45 mins to a 1 hour on a Tuesday morning. The cost was 34 GBP depending on the size of the car.

You can take the National Express coach (bus) http://www.nationalexpress.com to Southampton (a couple of hours) and then take a taxi to the dock. Taxi cost to the Princess dock was 5-7 GBP. If you keep checking the National Express site, you might be able to get a Funfare price (under Offers) within a couple of months of your cruise. Last year, we were able to get a Funfare price of 4GBP + 1 GPB for using a credit card and this year to Dover for 5 GBP. The bus is comfortable with a bathroom onboard.

We took the National Express back to London (Victoria aea) and our bus stopped at Heathrow. Just make sure that your bus has a stop at Heathrow. I booked the 9am bus not knowing what time the ship would be in but could have made an earlier bus. We did the self disembarkment (have to be able to carry your own luggage off the ship). It should have started at 7:15 but didn't start until 7:45 (ship was alittle late arriving).

We did the Hop On/Hop Off (HOHO) bus. There are two companies http://www.theoriginaltour.com and the http://www.bigbustours.com both do the same routes. We used the Original bus and it was good for a 24 hour period, has 3 routes of the city and a canal tour. The first day, we did 1 route. They sold a ticket for 3 GBP for fish and chips at Sherlock Holmes pub, where we had lunch. We then got on another route. We just rode around on the 2 different bus routes without getting off. The next day used the 3rd route to take us to the Tower of London and then finished that route. They give you earphones to listen to the commentary in different languages.

This year we are using http://www.evanevanstours.co.uk, going to Windsor Castle, Stonehenge, Bath.

The cruiseline hotel might include the transfers but they charge PER PERSON. Check out http://www.bhrc.co.uk for hotel prices. I picked the Victoria area for the convenience of the National Express, Buckingham Palace, Mews, tube, buses, HOHO, stores, pubs.

Check out http://www.royalcollection.org.uk for when you are there and the staterooms of Buckingham Palace might be open.

Archived