Upgrade on Princess Diamond

redwingfan517

Hello-quick question. We booked an Alaskian Cruise from Whittier to Vancouver on May 15, 2010 for my birthday (turning 50 years old on May 17th ):). Anyway, what do you think our chances are of getting a complimentary upgrade from our inside cabin. I put down special celebration (birthday) on my profile when I filled out my cruise documents. Not sure how to approach Princess on asking for a comp. upgrade. Should I ask if them when we check in at the dock? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Hello-quick question. We booked an Alaskian Cruise from Whittier to Vancouver on May 15, 2010 for my birthday (turning 50 years old on May 17th ):). Anyway, what do you think our chances are of getting a complimentary upgrade from our inside cabin. I put down special celebration (birthday) on my profile when I filled out my cruise documents. Not sure how to approach Princess on asking for a comp. upgrade. Should I ask if them when we check in at the dock? Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

If an upgrade is made it will be made sometime before you get to the pier and not at the pier.

Its luck of the draw.

Your chances are probably just as good as anyone else's. A lot of people cruise for "special occasions", so Princess can't really upgrade everyone celebrating their anniversary/wedding/milestone birthday/retirement/etc.

For instance, two of our previous cruises were for my birthday and our (dating) anniversary (they're 6 days apart). And our last cruise was our honeymoon. Now, we did get a really nice upgrade on our honeymoon cruise (from guarantee oceanview to a mid-ship balcony on Caribe). But I have no idea if that was luck of the draw, or if it being our honeymoon played any roll in that. For the other two, we also booked guarantees. For one we got exactly what we paid for, for the other we got a couple category bump. For our next cruise we're both celebrating turning 30 and celebrating our wedding anniversary. Our TA has requested a complimentary upgrade, but I know better than to get my hopes up!

First, there's absolutely no way you can ask for a complimentary upgrade at the pier. Just not possible as the check-in reps do not have access to the booking site; just the list of passengers and their cabin assignments. Nor, will they do it onboard. There is always a sign at the Front Desk that says something like, "The ship is full. No cabins are available." Which is pretty much always true.

The Upgrade Fairy is random and one of the key factors is demand for the cabin category you are in. They won't move you otherwise. If you want an upgrade, the best way to get one is to pay for it.

I put down special celebration (birthday) on my profile when I filled out my cruise documents.

Special occasions don't affect the upgrade fairy. She'll either strike or she won't, depending on how many cabins (of all types) are booked for your sailing. Good luck!

Caro

I agree with the others, your chances are as good as anyone's, but you just can never count on an upgrade, and asking at the pier is just wasting your breathe.

Celebrating a birthday will have nothing at all to do with it. Chances are, hundreds of passengers onboard will be celebrating milestone dates (birthdays, anniversarys, graduations), so that doesn't even come into play. Good luck though, and remember for your next cruise. Always book at least the minimum category you will be happy with and never look to an upgrade to get you there. ;)

I book the actual cabin I can afford but leave open for upgrade.

The only good upgrades I get are on the 1 day cruises from Vancouver/Seattle .These inside to balcony.

For all my 20days and up cruises never received an upgrade.

Book the best cabin you can afford and hope the upgrade fairy visits.She surely works in mysterious ways.I'd love to have my own balcony on a long cruise.

I am on the June 5th cruise and have already received my room assignment...I checked your cruise yesterday and everything is waitlisted...so sounds like your ship is pretty full. Who knows though maybe you will get a surprise when you check in!

Reading this thread I feel very lucky! Going on my first ever cruise in 2 weeks - Diamond Princess, Alaska - and the upgrade fairy visited me today:D:D. I cannot quite believe it, but I have a mini suite on Dolphin now!

I understand that the process seems to be random, but it would be interesting to know just how the decision is made. I selected a specific cabin when I did my booking, so this upgrade was a complete surprise to me.

Reading this thread I feel very lucky! Going on my first ever cruise in 2 weeks - Diamond Princess, Alaska - and the upgrade fairy visited me today:D:D. I cannot quite believe it, but I have a mini suite on Dolphin now!

I understand that the process seems to be random, but it would be interesting to know just how the decision is made. I selected a specific cabin when I did my booking, so this upgrade was a complete surprise to me.

You will enjoy it!

They must be having difficulties with their booking on Diamond- overbooking certain categories or something. We had the upgrade fairy visit us also for the following week. Given how we hear that true upgrades, as opposed to upsells, are rare these days it suggests to me that something odd is going on. However, I am not complaining. I'm quite pleased thank you very much. But I do think that who gets called is rather random- I have heard too many "it goes like this" stories- and many contradict each other. So, I would never count on it again, but will enjoy this one.

Thank you for everyone's input. I appreciate your comments and suggestions. And you are right, I will enjoy the cruise regardless of where I lay my head. Congrats to the people that had a visit from the upgrade ferry. I love getting unexpected surprises like that. Enjoy your cruise.:)

What did you get upgraded from? Congrats on the upgrade!

Archived