John Challis – Artemis (P014) departing Sunday August 1

David Fairclough – Arcadia (J011) departing Sunday August 1

Sir Henry Cooper – Oceana (E017) departing Saturday August 7

Bob Champion – Aurora (R008) departing Sunday August 8

Ray Clemence – Ventura (N021) departing Saturday August 14

Duncan McKenzie – Oriana (X014) departing Sunday August 15

Nick Owen – Arcadia (J012) departing Sunday August 15

Sue Holderness – Artemis (P015) departing Monday Augus

Saw Nicky Slater (ice skater) on Oceana last year - OMG what a bitter man!!! He seemed to be really annoyed that he did not get a gold medal & was very bitter saying that it was purely down to political reasons. Woudl be interested to hear if anyone else thought the same.

I have to say I am not blown away by the guest speakers they have lined up for this season. I suspect Cunard might be better for this, they have more interesting (well to me anyway) people lined up like Bill Bryson and PD James. This list (in most cases) feels a bit like B list celebs trying to earn a bit extra cash for retirement, with a freebie holiday thrown in. ;)

lol not exactly an impressive list is it. Who but an ardent Liverpool fan would want to hear from David Fairclough?

But I suppose its more than other ships have onboard.

Though Old radio 1 D J MIke Read was onboard a cruise We were on once. Did a talk and ran the ships disco once or twice...:eek:

Far more interested in the actual entertainment onboard. Which I can't seem to find anything about, even after mailing P&O.

Where does this list come from? is it accessible somewhere online? Mind you - I wouldn't have a clue who these people are anyway at this time - so would be nice to find the list for our cruises later this year and research who they are.

Thanks

Barry

We had Sue Holderness on Arcadia last year. Absolutely useless. How can someone spend 20 years or so in the cast of a classic like 'Only Fools and horses' then proceed to tell you nothing except clips of herself for an hour. We really hoped to get some of the fun things that must have occurred over the years behind the scenes. Well you wont. Very poor when it should have been very good.

If only the list went on a bit longer! I am on the 20th August Azura sailing which I presume would be next on the list!

Yes thats it uptill now, I expect its hard to pin these 'celebs' down too far ahead and they are now working on the following months. Save the link and look again in a month or two.?

Sir Henry Cooper was very interesting, we had him on Oceana last September, a real 'mans man' . His tales about boxing in the east end in the 60's was very interesting along with twin George. Then the stories of the Ali fight. He's a true celeb. A bit more so than todays lot - why is Jack Tweedy a celeb? His claim to fame is dating a girl who was on big brother - now that is weird!

Yes thats it uptill now, I expect its hard to pin these 'celebs' down too far ahead and they are now working on the following months. Save the link and look again in a month or two.?

Sir Henry Cooper was very interesting, we had him on Oceana last September, a real 'mans man' . His tales about boxing in the east end in the 60's was very interesting along with twin George. Then the stories of the Ali fight. He's a true celeb. A bit more so than todays lot - why is Jack Tweedy a celeb? His claim to fame is dating a girl who was on big brother - now that is weird!

and then a rape case and now dating someone else from big brother who is pregnant by another man!

lol not exactly an impressive list is it. Who but an ardent Liverpool fan would want to hear from David Fairclough?

But I suppose its more than other ships have onboard.

Though Old radio 1 D J MIke Read was onboard a cruise We were on once. Did a talk and ran the ships disco once or twice...:eek:

Far more interested in the actual entertainment onboard. Which I can't seem to find anything about, even after mailing P&O.

Thanks for this- I was just going to ask who the heck is David Fairclough. Did he play or manage?

Think this is one speaker to miss on Ventura in June....

Football names mean nothing to me....We were in a Sharm hotel, waiting for our Thomson's cruise, when I saw a new arrival reading a "red top" paper. I asked what the headlines were, and the guy replied:"Terry's got a new bird".

This puzzled me for a fortnight.....:eek:

Jo.

Last time I was on Oceana, they had two retired BBC weather presenters, who were Guest speakers on board.

Cannot remember their names, but they were actually employees of the met office.

Really nice and interesting people.

We were seated in the Adriatic restaurant, and they had a table adjoining us. One celebrated a Birthday during the cruise, and they kindly offered us some cake.

Always nice to talk to, and they stopped by to take to me each evening.

Lynn

Thanks for this- I was just going to ask who the heck is David Fairclough. Did he play or manage?

He was a late 70's/early80's ginger haired player if I remember correctly.

Was mainly used a a substitute, came on late in the game and scored a few goals. Then went off to play in America.

PS bet the women can't wait for their cruises after reading this list!!

He was a late 70's/early80's ginger haired player if I remember correctly.

Was mainly used a a substitute, came on late in the game and scored a few goals. Then went off to play in America.

PS bet the women can't wait for their cruises after reading this list!!

I'm female, 40 and I think I only recognise 5 of the names!

Edwina Currie is an odd one on that list - a completely different world (politics) from all the others (entertainment or sport).

Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing her speak. I think she's probably got some interesting stories to tell, and I could ask her an impertinent question about John Major.

Who but an ardent Liverpool fan would want to hear from David Fairclough?

And who but a Bitter would be happy with Duncan McKenzie?

I've not done too bad, I've got a Red at least in Sinbad from Brookside. The only time I've seen him in person was on the M1 on the way to the Cup Final when he was stopped in the third lane after someone had crashed into the back of him.

David Fairclough aka "Super Sub" - one of the Liverpool team from the late 70s early 80s who won everything. I saw him play against Sheffield United in the league cup in about 1979 - Blades won 1-0.

I had to Google ours and still don't know who Michael Starke is and there's a picture of him!

David Fairclough aka "Super Sub" - one of the Liverpool team from the late 70s early 80s who won everything. I saw him play against Sheffield United in the league cup in about 1979 - Blades won 1-0.

I had to Google ours and still don't know who Michael Starke is and there's a picture of him!

Michael Starke - Sinbad from Brookie - he was on one of ours last year (Queen Victoria I think), but we didn't see him so can't comment on his 'show':p

The other half now wants to book any cruise that David Fairclough is on :rolleyes:

And who but a Bitter would be happy with Duncan McKenzie?

I've not done too bad, I've got a Red at least in Sinbad from Brookside. The only time I've seen him in person was on the M1 on the way to the Cup Final when he was stopped in the third lane after someone had crashed into the back of him.

Duncan McKenzie was on our Oriana cruise in February:cool:. He seemed a nice enough chap but as a lifelong red I gave his talks a wide berth:eek:.

I had to explain who he was to my husband who being Scottish didn't have a clue who he was (he's also a Man U supporter - well of course he is, not being from Manchester!:D). He was less than impressed as well!

Debbie:)

Archived