Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

With a cruise ship at the Dockyard, everything there s/b open.

Horseshoe Bay is large and your visit is in September, crowding should not be a problem. Here is a YouTube video of HSB:

Buses do run on Sunday but at a reduced schedule.

The approx cost for a taxi ride from the Dockyard to HSB is $30.00-$35.00 for 1 to 4 passengers plus tip plus 25% surcharge on Sunday.

SBtS

We have been to HSB before but went early in the day. This time we are sailing with friends who have never been to Bermuda and trying to make the most of our time there. Thanks for your reply.

Hello!

I was the original poster about Colin Jennings, who I met several years ago on one of my trips to Bermuda. I see him every year, at least once, if not twice. He was, and still is, a wonderful tour guide. As a native Bermudian, and a former Bermuda mailman, he has a wonderful knowledge of the island and many, many great stories to tell.

It is always nice to pre-arrange a day with a private guide, so that he will be waiting for you at the dock at the time YOU tell him. You can plan your day in advance, based on what is important to you and your friends/family. There are many tour/taxi drivers at the pier, who I'm sure also do a very nice job, but for me, there is nothing like knowing ahead of time how you'll be spending your day. With Colin, he'll wait while I shop, keep all my beach things and souvenirs safe, drop me off and pick me up where he knows it's best/safe, give advice on restaurants etc.

He only is able to check his emails about once a week, but he will get to you and reply as soon as he can. Don't give up on him if you don't hear right back. I tell him that Amercians are an impatient group as a whole when it comes to planning ahead! He is worth the wait!!! I was able to peek in Michael Douglas and Catherine Zeta Jones side gate!!

His rate is the island standard ($ 40 per hour for 1 to 4 people) and I always add a $ 20 for him (but that's not mandatory, just a small reward for a job well done),

Hope this helps!- Miriam

Thanks for replying. I emailed Colin Jennings about a week ago but haven't heard back yet. I will wait and see if I hear from him over the next few weeks and if not I will try and contact him again then. It would be ideal to have him or one of the other guides recommended on this board booked, but I'm glad to hear that if that doesn't pan out there are other taxi guides available at the Dockyard.

I'm still UNDECIDED regarding our shore excursions for our upcoming May cruise...

Never been to Bermuda before so very hesitant right now.. I think I better start buckling down and seeing what's out there to offer.

I will have a 7yo, actually 8yo when we travel, so I can't do that much snorkeling, etc, as she isn't at her best at that yet ;)

Anyone heard from Duke lately? I e-mailed him and got a return message that he would be on vacation until March 1 and would return all e-mails when he returned. Is is the 23rd and I saw someone had talked to him after March 1.

Sue

Hi Mirium,

We are on EOS in may.after reading your reviews about Colin we are interested in touring with him.how much time would you recommend for an island tour sightseeing no swimming leisurely day?We did the same cruise last April but wasted a lot of time waiting for a bus. thanks for any info.we live right below you in schuylkill county!

Linda

sue

i heard from duke right around 3/1 - i booked with him for aug 31... he answered me within a day or 2 after the original email...

karen

Thanks Karen, I heard from him this morning. We were able to get him for the second day of our stay in Bermuda. Can't wait.

Sue :)

Hello!

I was the original poster about Colin Jennings, who I met several years ago on one of my trips to Bermuda. I see him every year, at least once, if not twice. He was, and still is, a wonderful tour guide. As a native Bermudian, and a former Bermuda mailman, he has a wonderful knowledge of the island and many, many great stories to tell.

It is always nice to pre-arrange a day with a private guide, so that he will be waiting for you at the dock at the time YOU tell him. You can plan your day in advance, based on what is important to you and your friends/family.

He only is able to check his emails about once a week, but he will get to you and reply as soon as he can. Don't give up on him if you don't hear right back. I tell him that Amercians are an impatient group as a whole when it comes to planning ahead! He is worth the wait!!!

Hope this helps!- Miriam

Hello!

It is always nice to pre-arrange a day with a private guide, so that he will be waiting for you at the dock at the time YOU tell him... You can plan your day in advance, based on what is important to you and your friends/family... He only is able to check his emails about once a week, but he will get to you and reply as soon as he can. Don't give up on him if you don't hear right back...

Hope this helps!- Miriam

Thank you Miriam for your invaluable advice and referral to Colin Jennings. My sister and I are on the May 1st sailing of the Caribbean Princess from San Juan to NYC. I have been to Bermuda before but my sister has not and there are several things I want to make sure she sees in the day while we are there. A private taxi-tour is an ideal arrangment for us. Having your (& other CC members) reccomendation of Colin is great. I am also thankful that you advised to be patient for a reply since I was getting

ansy. I e-mailed Colin on 3/15th and did not get a reply until today (3/25th). :eek: I mentioned your name in my e-mail. Here's what Colin had to say:

"Please tell the people on cruise critics thank you for the good reviews. I have done a few tours with Miriam and her friends and I consider them friends of mine now."

Thanks again. I am soooo looking forward to Bermuda and my cruise!:D

Thank you Miriam for your invaluable advice and referral to Colin Jennings. My sister and I are on the May 1st sailing of the Caribbean Princess from San Juan to NYC. I have been to Bermuda before but my sister has not and there are several things I want to make sure she sees in the day while we are there. A private taxi-tour is an ideal arrangment for us. Having your (& other CC members) reccomendation of Colin is great. I am also thankful that you advised to be patient for a reply since I was getting

ansy. I e-mailed Colin on 3/15th and did not get a reply until today (3/25th). :eek: I mentioned your name in my e-mail. Here's what Colin had to say:

"Please tell the people on cruise critics thank you for the good reviews. I have done a few tours with Miriam and her friends and I consider them friends of mine now."

Thanks again. I am soooo looking forward to Bermuda and my cruise!:D

Enjoy the Caribbean Princess. One of my favorites. :)

Glad to hear about all these reviews on Duke and Colin. I think it would be so much easier to get a tour guide than jumping from bus to bus and ferry to ferry.

Did you guys hire the private guide to show you St. Georges and Hamilton? I am trying to get a list together of what we would definately like to see. I definately want to go to the Crystal Cave and Gibbs lighthouse. I hate to pay him to sit there and wait, but we will see. If we were going to do that, how many hours should we book him?

If were able to do the 6 night or 7 night then we would just book him for a tour and go back to Gibbs lighthouse and the Crystal Caves on our own.

I also would be interested in some must visits....

unfortunately we could not get colin nor duke for our day in bermuda, duke did recommend someone else....

they have asked us what we want to see but i am not too sure what to pick.... can some of you recommend a good itinerary

joanne

I also would be interested in some must visits....

unfortunately we could not get colin nor duke for our day in bermuda, duke did recommend someone else....

they have asked us what we want to see but i am not too sure what to pick.... can some of you recommend a good itinerary

joanne

This is the problem I am having!! Trying to figure out what is a must see! lol. We are probably going to do either a 5 night cruise to bermuda or the 6 night. The only thing, is with the 6 night you don't get into port until 3pm (and most things close at 5), you are docked the whole next day and then leave at noon the 3rd day. On the 5 night you atleast get there at 9am one day and leave at 5pm the next day. So we really have more time in port on the 5 night cruise.

Decisions, decisions.

All these decisions are personal of course, so it's difficult to choose. I would not go through the Crystal Caves while on a cab tour...takes too much time, and tick, tick goes the clock. Take a good long look at Horseshoe Bay beach, Gibbs Lighthouse, Mangrove Bay, and then let the driver be your guide...he will point out all the interesting spots (so many), make note of any you want to return to on your own. You could have him go from Dockyard, out and around St. George, then end your tour in Hamilton (just not on Sunday)...you could then shop and take the bus or ferry back to Dockyard from there. So many choices!!

Happy planning!!

Edited by CruisFran

All these decisions are personal of course, so it's difficult to choose. I would not go through the Crystal Caves while on a cab tour...takes too much time, and tick, tick goes the clock. Take a good long look at Horseshoe Bay beach, Gibbs Lighthouse, Mangrove Bay, and then let the driver be your guide...he will point out all the interesting spots (so many), make note of any you want to return to on your own. You could have him go from Dockyard, out and around St. George, then end your tour in Hamilton (just not on Sunday)...you could then shop and take the bus or ferry back to Dockyard from there. So many choices!!

Happy planning!!

Thank you for your suggestions! They are a big help to me! So the bus goes to Hamilton but you have to do the ferry to St. George? Where are the Crystal Caves, in St. George or Hamilton?

Are there taxi's outside of Crystal Cave in case you want to grab one back? I honestly would rather get a taxi than have to take an hour to get there and an hour back (by reading bermudian websites they say to allow an hour basically for bus rides) Is this true?

gracie3 wrote: ....So the bus goes to Hamilton but you have to do the ferry to St. George? Where are the Crystal Caves, in St. George or Hamilton?....

Yes, you could take a bus from the Dockyard to Hamilton; however, that ride takes just over 60 minutes :(. The ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton takes about 20 minutes. You could take the ferry from the Dockyard to St George, a trip of about 40 minutes; or you could take a combination of ferry and bus to get to St George, a trip of about 70 minutes (ferry to Hamilton, bus to St George).

The caves are located closer to St George than Hamilton.

And asked: ....Are there taxi's outside of Crystal Cave in case you want to grab one back?....

There may be taxis waiting at the caves, but it would be easy enough for one to be summoned for you. The fare from the caves to the ferry terminal in Hamilton would be at least $20.00 for 1 to 4 passengers, weekday travel.

and asked: ....(by reading bermudian websites they say to allow an hour basically for bus rides) Is this true?....

According to the bus schedule, the time from/to Hamilton to/from the caves is about 35 minutes each way.

Any times for buses and ferries exclude waiting time

SBtS

gracie3 wrote: ....So the bus goes to Hamilton but you have to do the ferry to St. George? Where are the Crystal Caves, in St. George or Hamilton?....

Yes, you could take a bus from the Dockyard to Hamilton; however, that ride takes just over 60 minutes :(. The ferry from the Dockyard to Hamilton takes about 20 minutes. You could take the ferry from the Dockyard to St George, a trip of about 40 minutes; or you could take a combination of ferry and bus to get to St George, a trip of about 70 minutes (ferry to Hamilton, bus to St George).

The caves are located closer to St George than Hamilton.

And asked: ....Are there taxi's outside of Crystal Cave in case you want to grab one back?....

There may be taxis waiting at the caves, but it would be easy enough for one to be summoned for you. The fare from the caves to the ferry terminal in Hamilton would be at least $20.00 for 1 to 4 passengers, weekday travel.

and asked: ....(by reading bermudian websites they say to allow an hour basically for bus rides) Is this true?....

According to the bus schedule, the time from/to Hamilton to/from the caves is about 35 minutes each way.

Any times for buses and ferries exclude waiting time

SBtS

Thank you for all your help!! Do you want to go to Bermuda with us and be our tour guide?:D

I have pretty much decided on hiring a tour guide to take us around the island. If I do the 7 night cruise, then I will use public transportation to go ahead to the Crystal Caves and Gibbs Lighthouse. If we do a shorter cruise I will just have the tourguide take us to the places and do them there.

Thank you for all your help and information!!!!

Here is a copy of a post that I put on another Bermuda board.

""""""""

You should be aware that a bus to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse does not go to the base of the lighthouse, only to the bottom of the "steepish" winding road that leads up to it. Unless you have a lot of time, or are in great shape, this is something that you definitely skip. Climb to the top of the lighthouse instead! Easy to do, with landings along the way, and the view is unbeatable!!""""""""""""".

The ligthouse is wonderful to see and the best picture taking spot on the island (just my opinion ;)!) but if you don't climb it, it'll only take you 20 minutes to look, shop and picture take. There is a little cafe there as well, but it has very limited hours.

Yes, the cost does add up to have a driver wait while you shop, sightsee, swim etc. The convenience is definitely worth it. It saves carrying ALL your belongings, souvenirs, beverages, etc while you visit tour, eat, shop etc, especially if you are only there for 30 -32 hours. You want to maximize your time.

Check out this link for other ideas of what you might want to do.

Click here: Bermuda Attractions

Hopes this helps! - Miriam

Here is a copy of a post that I put on another Bermuda board.

""""""""

You should be aware that a bus to Gibbs Hill Lighthouse does not go to the base of the lighthouse, only to the bottom of the "steepish" winding road that leads up to it. Unless you have a lot of time, or are in great shape, this is something that you definitely skip. Climb to the top of the lighthouse instead! Easy to do, with landings along the way, and the view is unbeatable!!""""""""""""".

The ligthouse is wonderful to see and the best picture taking spot on the island (just my opinion ;)!) but if you don't climb it, it'll only take you 20 minutes to look, shop and picture take. There is a little cafe there as well, but it has very limited hours.

Yes, the cost does add up to have a driver wait while you shop, sightsee, swim etc. The convenience is definitely worth it. It saves carrying ALL your belongings, souvenirs, beverages, etc while you visit tour, eat, shop etc, especially if you are only there for 30 -32 hours. You want to maximize your time.

Check out this link for other ideas of what you might want to do.

Click here: Bermuda Attractions

Hopes this helps! - Miriam

Okay, you confused me a little on this one! If the bus does not take you to the lighthouse, you recommend that if you are not in good shape to skip it. However, you say to climb it in the next sentence?? You still have to go down to the base to climb it, right?

So basically if your not in good shape, don't plan on doing the lighthouse, unless you have a taxi take you to the base.