Bermuda private guide

fancycroozer

36 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

For those of you who have toured with Quinton, where did you meet for the tour?  His email said he'd meet us dockside and he'd be wearing a pith helmet.  Does dockside mean right next to the ship?

I haven't toured with Quinton, but that's where we always meet a guide.  You get off the ship and look around for - in your case- a guy wearing a pith helmet. 

1 minute ago, grandmaR said:

I haven't toured with Quinton, but that's where we always meet a guide.  You get off the ship and look around for - in your case- a guy wearing a pith helmet. 

Thanks!  It's our first time in Bermuda so I'm not familiar with the dock area.  At least it sounds like Quinton will be easy to spot. :classic_smile:

Heh, don’t be so sure. If the docks are full, you may have more of a time finding him than you think. Here’s the good news, just ask, the other drivers point each other out happily.

We’ve used Quinton multiple times.....you’ll have a blast!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CruisinCrow said:

Thanks!  It's our first time in Bermuda so I'm not familiar with the dock area.  At least it sounds like Quinton will be easy to spot. :classic_smile:

or  email him and meet at the fudge shop at the dock. the little building is pink you cant miss it image.jpeg.46230ee183a89040a2d95ae19c28e78f.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bucket List 2012 said:

Please post about your experience. I have him booked in June. He is highly recommended and has been great thru emails. I am sooo looking forward to this trip in a couple of weeks.

Will do.  When is your cruise?

2 hours ago, Bucket List 2012 said:

Please post about your experience. I have him booked in June. He is highly recommended and has been great thru emails. I am sooo looking forward to this trip in a couple of weeks.

I have been to Bermuda 7 times and we are going again in June.  Our visits

On April 15th we did a private tour with Quinton Bean. We highly recommend him. He is very informative, loves Bermuda and eager to talk all about it and answering questions. We have been to Bermuda many times but sent him a email with pretty much detailed the things we wanted to see. He also brought to a restaurant for lunch called The Flame. It was wonderful with beautiful views. I would not hesitate booking him. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, CTKaren said:

On April 15th we did a private tour with Quinton Bean. We highly recommend him. He is very informative, loves Bermuda and eager to talk all about it and answering questions. We have been to Bermuda many times but sent him a email with pretty much detailed the things we wanted to see. He also brought to a restaurant for lunch called The Flame. It was wonderful with beautiful views. I would not hesitate booking him. If you have any questions I would be happy to answer.

@CTKarenWe are booked with Quinton June 1st along with another couple. What were the top three things you saw w/ Quinton? We don't have anything too specific, so wondering what he has planned!

3 hours ago, ChrisTheDBA said:

@CTKarenWe are booked with Quinton June 1st along with another couple. What were the top three things you saw w/ Quinton? We don't have anything too specific, so wondering what he has planned!

I suggest you do some research and have some ideas of what you would like to see. Don’t leave it all to Quinton. 

4 hours ago, ChrisTheDBA said:

For picture opportunity all the beaches are beautiful. Horseshoe Bay and Johnson Cove are the just beautiful. I would go to 

Hamilton for some shopping, Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, there is a small Zoo,  aquarium, the Crystal Caves are nice. Bailey's Ice Cream is right near it for a nice treat. I would go on Trip Advisor and search Bermuda and things to do. Then see what might interest you. Quinton will have some suggestions for you do. I think he probably has a tour plan he follows too. But I would mention a couple of things to him in advance.

6 hours ago, CTKaren said:

For picture opportunity all the beaches are beautiful. Horseshoe Bay and Johnson Cove are the just beautiful. I would go to 

Hamilton for some shopping, Gibbs Hill Lighthouse, there is a small Zoo,  aquarium, the Crystal Caves are nice. Bailey's Ice Cream is right near it for a nice treat. I would go on Trip Advisor and search Bermuda and things to do. Then see what might interest you. Quinton will have some suggestions for you do. I think he probably has a tour plan he follows too. But I would mention a couple of things to him in advance.

Thanks, @CTKaren that helps with the research!

8 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I suggest you do some research and have some ideas of what you would like to see. Don’t leave it all to Quinton. 

I agree.  He'll customize to your interests.  

I asked for smallest drawbridge, Fort Scaur, Gibb's Hill Lighthouse (with time to climb it), Horseshoe Bay Beach or another good beach spot for taking pictures, and the Cathedral in Hamilton.  I told him we liked history and scenery and taking pictures.  I'm sure he'll come up with a great plan from there.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, CruisinCrow said:

I agree.  He'll customize to your interests.  

I asked for smallest drawbridge, Fort Scaur, Gibb's Hill Lighthouse (with time to climb it), Horseshoe Bay Beach or another good beach spot for taking pictures, and the Cathedral in Hamilton.  I told him we liked history and scenery and taking pictures.  I'm sure he'll come up with a great plan from there.

Some good suggestions. Thanks. We have St George's and the unfinished church as part of the plan. I will look into the Cathedral in Hamilton.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:18 PM, ChrisTheDBA said:

We toured with Quinton last August, and truly, gave him nothing but the most general of guidance (historic sites, local restaurant, churches, and on the way back, beaches to scope for the next day).

He was excellent with very little help whatsoever 😉 After all, if I knew where I wanted to go, I wouldn't need a guide. So, from my point of view, I wouldn't do research if you don't have the time. Just let Quinton do it.

And the Flame was a wonderful lunch. Just take shoes you can remove so you can down to the water 😸

• Like 1

I am LOVING all of these great reviews about Quinton!  Unfortunately he is already booked on the day we will be in Bermuda in June but he has hooked us up with a 'couple of his favorite people'!  We are a family of 13 going on two vans for 5 hours.  There are 4 children, ages 7-15, and 9 adults up to age 74 but active.  Our goal is to see some beautiful history, beautiful beaches and have a fun lunch.  This will be our first time in Bermuda and although Quinton has said they would take us anywhere we wish we aren't really sure where to request.  These boards have been great!  Could any of you give a brief rundown of a perfect day, in your opinion! 

Thanks!  We will be there on Saturday, June 22

Well, I really enjoyed our day, although I don't know what would be perfect. But I liked it. 🙂

We left from King's Wharf, worlds smallest drawbridge, was OK, not anything I would normally stop for.

But Fort Scaur and the scenic sights, I really enjoyed, Gibbs Lighthouse, I wasn't climbing, but probably great for those who did, Hamilton was fun for a brief stroll, and I really liked St. George's, including the main church and the unfinished church. There were all sorts of scenic stops along the way.

Quinton also took us to a cemetery for a "how do you do that on a small island" and showed us the roof collection of water. Presumably his friends will know too.

Really liked seeing all the beaches on the way back, isolated, not so isolated, Horseshoe Bay. We were very amused when Quinton said you see how crowded it gets when showing us Horseshoe. We had to explain we as a family spent innumerable (happy) summers in Wildwood, NJ, and Horseshoe Bay was *not* crowded 😄 I also did say, I understand, I've been to beautiful isolated beaches in North Africa and I get the appeal, but those "crowds" weren't going to be the determining factor. 

The next day we went to Horseshoe😉

Edited by elhenry
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@CTKaren -- how long was the tour you did with Quinton? I realize you had been before but curious.

And same question for @CruisinCrow and @ChrisTheDBA -- how long did you book?

Wondering if you can see Hamilton and St. Georges if you're doing a 4-hour-long tour, not a 6-hour-long one (in addition to seeing sights like the lighthouse, fort, beaches). This is our first time in Bermuda, but we might be limited to 3.5-4 hours. Plus it will be on a holiday....

•  
  • zooma
  • July 25, 2004
  •  
  • 252 posts

@CTKaren -- how long was the tour you did with Quinton? I realize you had been before but curious.

We booked Quinton for four hours. However, we did go over by 30 minutes. 

Back in 2016 we did another private tour with a different person and that was for 5 hours.

If this is your first time in Bermuda I would plan on 5 hours. If it has to be shorter then research the area and have 

3-5 things you really want to see. On either tour we never made it to St George. And that is because I believe it is 

about a one hour ride from the dock to there. So right there that is 2 hours. For me a must see would be a couple of 

their beautiful beaches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Elhenry ..... Thanks!  That's helpful!  With the variety of ages and it being our first time in Bermuda I want to plan a fun day for all!  

If we were to spend some time playing at a beach for a bit what would you all suggest? 

And where would you recommend a good place they take us for lunch? 

Thanks a bunch!

On 5/29/2019 at 12:11 AM, zooma said:

And same question for @CruisinCrow and @ChrisTheDBA -- how long did you book?

Wondering if you can see Hamilton and St. Georges if you're doing a 4-hour-long tour, not a 6-hour-long one (in addition to seeing sights like the lighthouse, fort, beaches). This is our first time in Bermuda, but we might be limited to 3.5-4 hours. Plus it will be on a holiday....

We booked for 4 and a half hours but ended up coming back a little early.

This is what we saw in 4 hours:

Fort Scaur
Somerset Bridge

A famous golf course (I'm not sure why we stopped there, maybe for the views but I could have skipped that part)

Gibb's Hill Lighthouse - we climbed it
Warwick Long Bay

Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity in Hamilton - we climbed that too

We also made a few brief stops here and there just for Quinton to point things out or to take pictures.  The whole time he was driving, Quinton told us all about the island's history, traditions, government.  We learned so much from him!

After the cathedral, we were going to have about half an hour to walk around Hamilton on our own but since it was about to rain, we asked Quinton to go ahead to take us back to the Dockyards.  That worked out well because it gave us a little time to have a drink at the Frog and Onion Pub before we had to get back on the ship.

I'd told Quinton what we especially wanted to see.  For example I said that I definitely wanted enough time at the lighthouse to climb it and we were interested in history and scenery.  I also asked for Horseshoe Bay Beach but said he could choose another southern beach if he wanted.  He took us to Warwick Long Beach and I'm so glad he did because there were hardly any other people there and we spent a lot of time climbing around the rocks.  We got to see a lot of Bermuda longtails - that was fantastic.

Edited by CruisinCrow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2019 at 5:56 PM, Bucket List 2012 said:

I posted about our day in post #1323.  You'll love your tour.  Quinton was a real gentleman, planned a great day for us and told us so much about Bermuda.  No problem finding him at the dock - the taxi stands are right where you exit the ship and he was standing there with his pith helmet and a sign with our names.

On 5/29/2019 at 6:52 PM, mrsaknar said:

Elhenry ..... Thanks!  That's helpful!  With the variety of ages and it being our first time in Bermuda I want to plan a fun day for all!  

If we were to spend some time playing at a beach for a bit what would you all suggest? 

And where would you recommend a good place they take us for lunch? 

Thanks a bunch!

As for beaches, we saw on the tour Warwick Long Bay, Horseshoe, and some beaches near St. George's (maybe Tobacco Bay, one near an unfinished resort where Quinton was very unimpressed with the Bermudan government and how they handled the permitting, etc. But we were docked at King's Wharf so those beaches were too far away for a full beach day).

We chose Horseshoe for the next day because I am a woman north of 60 and I want bathrooms😀  I did the isolated beach numbers when I was young, and that was great, but I ain't young no more😉 And I actually enjoy people watching, including people who were literally jumping off of a cliff, better them than me.

If you have enough people, some folks can stay with their chairs and umbrellas, and others can walk toward Warwick. I don't know that we made it all the way, but it was low tide, and we were able to walk beachside over the rocks and through the gullies and it was beautiful.  Our youngest cruiser was 15, so we did not need to account for young children.  

I have only been to the one restaurant that Quinton took us to, the Flame. Just a hole in the wall sandwich place, but with 1) fish caught daily, very tasty, and 2) a view to do for right waterside.  And you can walk down the ladder to the water and cool your feet.

We did book for six hours, which could be long for very young cruisers.

Happy cruising!

Edited by elhenry
  • Thanks 1