rccl gives up on Park West

cruisestitch

I believe they were on the Solstice as well.

Yes they were and they were MUCH more low key than Park West ever has been on any ship we've seen them on. We don't attend but will walk through and listen for a minute or two. This group didn't seem as pushy or loud to us. Don't know if they had any good deals or not...we've looked at enough of what Park West had to offer over the years to know that we should stay away from it....I mean I LOVE Brett Favre the NFL QB but a jersey of his in glass with an autograph for something like $2500? Maybe I'm crazy but isn't that a bit ridiculous? I'm glad Park West is gone/leaving.

This from the RCCL website:

our contract with Park West Art Services has expired and we have decided not to renew it. There is a wind down period in effect and the art auctioneers will finish on different ships at different times over the next few months. We are evaluating what if any art-related programming we may offer in the fleet in the future beyond Oasis of the Seas where Art Actually is our provider of art tours and art for purchase onboard.

Any predictions for Celebrity?

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who would miss the Art Auctions if they disappeared?

That is just wonderful news. I could never understand why RCCL would even want them on their ships.

That is just wonderful news. I could never understand why RCCL would even want them on their ships.

Because they obviously made money for RCCL. I'm sure the lull will be temporary and RCCL will find a new operator to make that chunk of change for them.

I will give RCCL and Celebrity credit for one thing. They never allowed Park West to commandeer the public address systems on the ships. I remember a cruise on NCL years ago where announcements for these "Art Rip-Offs" would be broadcast everyday throughout the ship (including into the cabins). That was very annoying to say the least.

Rich

I definitely won't miss all the ads and envelopes they send to your room - what a waste of paper. They tote the same old stuff on every ship we've sailed. As others have already said 'Good Riddance'!

Good riddance to what has been, for the most part, cheap prints and poorly and cheaply framed. I hope the RCI, and any other cruise line contemplating a change from Park West will contract with a company with better artistic taste and without the aggressive merchandising. What a waste of space, reams of paper for advertising, and program time. UGH just awful!!:(

Hi Londoners

We always hated the art auctions but would wander around looking at the pictures now and again, never ever saw anything we liked. I didn't realise that this was a different company on Eclipse. We were on her for the first 2 BtoB sailings, gorgeous ship!! We thought the artwork was much better than we had previously seen and very low key - now I know why - it was not Parkwest!!

The artwork was displayed beautifully in between two walkways and you had to sort of wander through. My husband really took a fancy to one of the pieces, a beautiful dark haired lady (with a very short black dress!) curled up on a chair with a glass of red wine, even I could have lived with that picture and we stood looking every time we passed. Because of Parkwest's reputation I didn't go and ask for any more information, had I known they had changed art company's I would certainly have enquired about it.

We loved the Eclipse so much we are going on her again in September, I will go see if this picture is still there!!!

Lyn

Hi Londoners

We always hated the art auctions but would wander around looking at the pictures now and again, never ever saw anything we liked. I didn't realise that this was a different company on Eclipse. We were on her for the first 2 BtoB sailings, gorgeous ship!! We thought the artwork was much better than we had previously seen and very low key - now I know why - it was not Parkwest!!

The artwork was displayed beautifully in between two walkways and you had to sort of wander through. My husband really took a fancy to one of the pieces, a beautiful dark haired lady (with a very short black dress!) curled up on a chair with a glass of red wine, even I could have lived with that picture and we stood looking every time we passed. Because of Parkwest's reputation I didn't go and ask for any more information, had I known they had changed art company's I would certainly have enquired about it.

We loved the Eclipse so much we are going on her again in September, I will go see if this picture is still there!!!

Lyn

Hi Lyn, sorry to disappoint you but I was at the auction and the picture (and I know the one you mean, vaguely Victoria Beckhamesque type of woman) was sold, as was it's 'sister' painting, the man in the gaucho hat (both bought by the same man) - the artist is Perez - the paintings were, I believe, about £350 each, and there was also a third, unsold, of a woman looking out from a balcony - I believe the artist is Argentinian.

The company were certainly less aggressive in their sales technique than Park West - but I didn't think they were very professional or good at 'guaging' what the audience wanted to see.

DH nearly bought a very expensive painting because he waved at some people we knew in the middle of an auction! The auctioneer (Franklyn) said there is a money back guarantee if you change your mind (think it's 30 or 60 days from delivery).

Enjoy your cruise in September - we are back in October and really looking forward to it!!

I'm trying to find the link to a suicide that took place from a RCL ship involving one of the art auctioneers but I can't find it. I found the story several months ago but so far I have not recovered the link.

Here is another story about the problem:

http://www.fineartadvocacy.com/articles/park-west-galleries-royal-caribbean-cruises-art-auction-fraud.php

I've also heard that Park West is being replaced, not removed from Celebrity ships.

:) Hi CruisingChick,

Thanks for the link. You just got off of the Mercury didn't you? I remember reading some of your posts. We will be bording the Mercury on May 17th. and we were wondering if Sheldon Thompson, Deniece Seow, and Heather Roddick were still on board. Is Captain Frantzis is still the Master? We've sailed with him many times. Anyway thanks again for the link it was very enlightening.

You're welcome for the link.

As for Mercury - I'm not sure who the Captain is now. We sailed with Captain Kostas Patsoulas who left when we disembarked on April 9th so I don't know who is sailing her.

I don't recognize any of the names you mentioned. Our CD was Stewart Turnbull, our CC Hostess was Juliana Charles (who disembarks on May 17th), our Hotel Director was Ugo Vaccalluzzo, and that's about all I can remember off the top of my head.

If you run into Bruno, the International Host, tell him Mrs. Tamborino says Hi.

Thanks.

Anne Maria

We are art collectors and I agree total with all above. Park West sold CRAP. We were, as another poster said, on Solstice for her first voyage and they did have a gallery our of Orlando represented. We did not go to the auctions, but did buy some valuable art glass at very fair prices, a little better than gallery prices back in the States and Murano, Italy.

Hi Londoners

Yes that's the painting, obviously caught your eye too.......... What a shame, still, I really didn't expect her to hang around for that long!!!

I am sure the guy who bought the 2 paintings will get great enjoyment from seeing them everyday, just as we did briefly on our short cruises.

Lyn

Feel free to leave it then!

To be clear, I was speaking of the space on the ship taken by PW. I do leave it, but one usually passes through many times on a cruise. On the cruises we have been on lately there has been very little interest in the "fine art" for sale.

Hopefully all or most of the space will now be used for something else.

Well you know I kinda liked lookin' at the "Art".. Discussed a few pieces with several of the art guys over the years. Never bought anything and never attended an auction.

But on a longer cruise with lots of sea days I did find some entertainment value in lookin'

Regarding the Lawsuit. Just off the Mariner and the young Art guy when asked how the Lawsuit went said "We sued them" .

Not too sure what he meant by that but he had the answer ready. I guess they lost but it didn't cost them money... other than fee's, costs etc etc.

Thks for that. I guess he kinda slipped over the $500,000.00 "Award" :)

But it was PW that instigated the lawsuit.

I'm expecting another auction company to take Park West's place. And why should we believe that their practices would be any different?

First time cruisers who aren't familiar with these auctions will think they're getting a good deal. Those of us who have been cruised before know what a scam and ripoff these companies are. But the bottom line is that they are revenue streams for Celebrity/RCI. The art is part of the ship's decor, and there's always going to be somebody who wants to buy it if they think they're getting a great thing for a decent price. Until everybody wises up and just simply avoids the auctions, there will always continue to be an art auction.

I'm no art afficionado and don't know the first thing about art, but in one of my early cruises I attended an auction where I "won" a free print in a raffle. To this day, that print is proudly displayed in my office and I get many compliments regarding it.

I was on the Equinox this past holiday season...tried to ask the "rep" from PW about a particular piece I was interested in...and he told me he didn't have any information about that particular piece...so decided not to buy from a company who didn't provide basic info...sounds like that was a good decision! LuAnn

I'm expecting another auction company to take Park West's place. And why should we believe that their practices would be any different?

First time cruisers who aren't familiar with these auctions will think they're getting a good deal. Those of us who have been cruised before know what a scam and ripoff these companies are. But the bottom line is that they are revenue streams for Celebrity/RCI. The art is part of the ship's decor, and there's always going to be somebody who wants to buy it if they think they're getting a great thing for a decent price. Until everybody wises up and just simply avoids the auctions, there will always continue to be an art auction.

I'm no art afficionado and don't know the first thing about art, but in one of my early cruises I attended an auction where I "won" a free print in a raffle. To this day, that print is proudly displayed in my office and I get many compliments regarding it.

If you buy(or in your case "win") a print, take it home, and enjoy it that is great. we have several paintings and other art from ports that we have visited. we enjoy them, and they bring back nice memories.

I think what bothers many people is the boloney spouted by PW including the inflated values of the pieces they sell. If you are buying from them to invest in art you are making a mistake.

I am anything but an art expert, but I do know a bit.

We have bought several artworks from PW and just recently.

from the new dealer on the Solstice (British-American {as I recall}).

Nothing was more than a few hundred dollars, , were all by artists who we knew of , liked and had a good idea of the proper price range.

Most recently we bought a framed Chagall that we love. They are hanging in our home or , in some cases given as gifts to our

kids. Considered cost as part of vacation costs and have no regrets.

From what I have seen here, the major objections to PW came from people who purchased art works for tens of thousands of $$ and then

got home , investigated, and determined that they have may have paid too much. IMO, if you don't know what you are doing, and buy something

for lots of $$ , solely based on the seller's representation that you are getting a great deal, then you have way more money than good sense.

I am anything but an art expert, but I do know a bit.

We have bought several artworks from PW and just recently.

from the new dealer on the Solstice (British-American {as I recall}).

Nothing was more than a few hundred dollars, , were all by artists who we knew of , liked and had a good idea of the proper price range.

Most recently we bought a framed Chagall that we love. They are hanging in our home or , in some cases given as gifts to our

kids. Considered cost as part of vacation costs and have no regrets.

From what I have seen here, the major objections to PW came from people who purchased art works for tens of thousands of $$ and then

got home , investigated, and determined that they have may have paid too much. IMO, if you don't know what you are doing, and buy something

for lots of $$ , solely based on the seller's representation that you are getting a great deal, then you have way more money than good sense.

It's not only that they're not worth what they paid, they're fakes. Some guy paid $500,000.00 for a set of Dali's on Royal Caribbean...they're all fakes. Royal Caribbean is named in that law suit too.

Archived