rccl gives up on Park West

cruisestitch

I've been reading this thread for the last few days, and I feel I finally have to speak up. People go on cruise ships and buy art without knowing what they are buying. Just like when you buy jewelry, you need to do your homework first. You need to know the differences between a giclee, a lithograph, a serigraph, etc. Most people have no idea.

I am fortunate that (at one point in his career) my husband was the business manager for a very popular local gallery that did many charity art auctions. We went to 2-3 auctions every weekend. I DO have some knowledge of the different types of reproductions. I do know that Park West is not selling originals, and they don't represent their art as originals. There may be hand embellished prints, but that's not the same thing.

Who would spend a half million dollars on a blind item? No disrespect intended, but you'd have to be a fool or an egomaniac to spend that kind of money on something you know nothing about.

We have bought a number of things from Park West and were always satisfied with what we bought. We haven't bought for investment purposes although our items have held their value or increased in value on the secondary market. We buy what we like. One time there was a problem with the framing and Park West paid to have the item picked up, fixed the problem and sent it back to us - all in a very professional manner and very promptly.

I enjoyed going to the PW auctions when I have been on ships (and we've done about 50 cruises). I find it interesting and educational. Everything is attitude. If you don't like the auctions, don't go. There are plenty of places on these bigs ships to relax. If the auction area is where you want to be, find another place temporarily. That wouldn't ruin my trip. Relax, folks; it's vacation.

We will NOT miss them at all. We never went to any art auction on a cruise and I always wondered why the cruise lines allowed them onboard other than they made $$$$$ for the cruise line.

Roy, I'm with You. I especially disliked the fact that I felt they took up valuable time and space. We have had dealing with park west in relation to a few charity events we helped to organize and I have to say I was not impressed with them as a company. I will not miss them at all.

I agree with both of you. But Art Auctions, like the high priced high pressure sales pitch you get in the Spa are part of cruising. Just don't go to them. If you are interested then go and if you wnat to buy, do your homework before you go.

Just my opinion.....:):):)

Bob

It appears that the overwhelming majority of responses on this thread are saying "good riddance" to Park West. The cruise lines must be making their money on the tiny minority who buy art on board. It must be some markup to make it worthwhile.

I enjoyed going to the PW auctions when I have been on ships (and we've done about 50 cruises). I find it interesting and educational. Everything is attitude. If you don't like the auctions, don't go. There are plenty of places on these bigs ships to relax. If the auction area is where you want to be, find another place temporarily. That wouldn't ruin my trip. Relax, folks; it's vacation.

Well said. I know that Park West doesn't give good deals and would never ever think/dream of spending $500,000 on a blind item. But would I say "Good riddance, you wasted my space and time, thus taking away from my enjoyment of my cruise?" Absolutely not. If you're not interested in the Art Auction, then don't go. If you don't like playing Bingo, then don't go. If you don't find Glass Blowing interesting, then you don't go. There's lot of varied activities onboard for a wide variety of interests. To each their own. Just my opinion.

To be clear, I was speaking of the space on the ship taken by PW. I do leave it, but one usually passes through many times on a cruise. On the cruises we have been on lately there has been very little interest in the "fine art" for sale.

Hopefully all or most of the space will now be used for something else.

Sorry Tombeck, my apologies, I misunderstood.

I won't miss them. Even if I had the money to pay the ridiculous prices, I wouldn't because 99% of the "art" was so ugly I wouldn't have it in my house.

I sometimes walked around the displays out of curiousity, just to see what was offered.

UGH! :eek: So much weird modern junky stuff. Good riddance to PW.

Art is so subjective - I agree that caveat emptor should apply as you should do your research if you are "investing" rather than purchasing a lesser priced piece for your own enjoyment. We fall in the latter category and have purchased some lovely prints at auctions at home for $50 to $100 and we know we didnt even cover the cost of the framing and matting.

We actually attended an art seminar on our recent RCCL cruise. We enjoyed a glass of champagne as the PW rep went through what is an "original" what is a "reproduction", "series" "prints" and the methods of how the artwork is produced. It was an interesting hour of time spent on a day at sea. Nothing was for sale as this was a seminar in preparation for the upcoming auctions to better appreciate what was for sale and some information about PW.

We enjoyed our champagne and received a nice little print at the end of the session to take home. I cant say I'd miss the art auctions but I did enjoy this seminar. I think I'd rather have more seminars and a catalogue with proper valuations from which to order rather than the auctions.

People may be less leery of their investment if RCCL guaranteed the valuation as they do for their jewellry purchases onboard (dont know if RCCL did this or not having never purchased artwork onboard).

We have to go back to the original question and wonder whether this will apply to Celebrity. I read an article on another cruise board which according to guidelines I cant link to on this board. The article said this applies to all of Royal Caribbeans 21 ships. Royal Caribbean Cruise Line in fact has 21 ships and that number does not include Celebrity. We will just have to see. The article also said currently there is another complany doing the auctions on one of the S class ships.

We have to go back to the original question and wonder whether this will apply to Celebrity. I read an article on another cruise board which according to guidelines I cant link to on this board. The article said this applies to all of Royal Caribbeans 21 ships. Royal Caribbean Cruise Line in fact has 21 ships and that number does not include Celebrity. We will just have to see. The article also said currently there is another complany doing the auctions on one of the S class ships.
The art auctions on the Solstice are not PW and are very different. Low key,no shilling,done in a quiet setting where the art is displayed and not in the centrum.Very different.

Archived