rccl gives up on Park West

cruisestitch

This from the RCCL website:

our contract with Park West Art Services has expired and we have decided not to renew it. There is a wind down period in effect and the art auctioneers will finish on different ships at different times over the next few months. We are evaluating what if any art-related programming we may offer in the fleet in the future beyond Oasis of the Seas where Art Actually is our provider of art tours and art for purchase onboard.

Any predictions for Celebrity?

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who would miss the Art Auctions if they disappeared?

There was an allusion--without details--to litigation that involved Park West and RCCL [though I don't recall if it was between those two parties or a third party--or class of plaintiffs--against them jointly]...

At the time that I read it, I thought there might be some trouble in paradise... Litigation needn't be highlighted in an Annual Report unless its outcome has the potential to materially impact the reporting company's financials...

This from the RCCL website:

our contract with Park West Art Services has expired and we have decided not to renew it. There is a wind down period in effect and the art auctioneers will finish on different ships at different times over the next few months. We are evaluating what if any art-related programming we may offer in the fleet in the future beyond Oasis of the Seas where Art Actually is our provider of art tours and art for purchase onboard.

Any predictions for Celebrity?

Out of curiosity, is there anyone who would miss the Art Auctions if they disappeared?

We will NOT miss them at all. We never went to any art auction on a cruise and I always wondered why the cruise lines allowed them onboard other than they made $$$$$ for the cruise line.

Roy, I'm with You. I especially disliked the fact that I felt they took up valuable time and space. We have had dealing with park west in relation to a few charity events we helped to organize and I have to say I was not impressed with them as a company. I will not miss them at all.

Hurray!!! Thank goodness.

I've read a lot of reports that there are many lawsuits against Park West and that that were found to be misrepresenting art work and it's value.

So glad RCI is getting rid of them.

My DH and I never attended them. Thought they were a nuisance.

Unless RCI contracts with another entity to continue the art auctions, that will open up some space on some of the ships for other use.:)

We never went to the auctions and won't miss them if they decide to do away with them altogether.

Well you know I kinda liked lookin' at the "Art".. Discussed a few pieces with several of the art guys over the years. Never bought anything and never attended an auction.

But on a longer cruise with lots of sea days I did find some entertainment value in lookin'

Regarding the Lawsuit. Just off the Mariner and the young Art guy when asked how the Lawsuit went said "We sued them" .

Not too sure what he meant by that but he had the answer ready. I guess they lost but it didn't cost them money... other than fee's, costs etc etc.

Celebrity used a group from Orlando that specialized in glass when they opened the Solstice. The dealers were quite knowledgeable, unlike some of the PW people I've encountered. This group didn't last long. Think that they just could not make enought to make it work for them.

Regarding the Lawsuit. Just off the Mariner and the young Art guy when asked how the Lawsuit went said "We sued them" .

Not too sure what he meant by that but he had the answer ready. I guess they lost but it didn't cost them money... other than fee's, costs etc etc.

Here's an article regarding the lawsuit.

http://www.freep.com/article/20100422/NEWS06/4220304/1001/News/Arts-registry-awarded-500000

Our last cruise - last sea day - rainy and miserable - Park West was setting up for an "art auction" in one of the public areas - and were kicking people out so they could set up. Outside areas were kind of wet and rainy - so everyone was inside. Come on folks - they were kicking people out several hours before the auction.

This was included in our comment card.

On the Eclipse(May 3rd Sailing) there was a company called 'British American Auctioneers' or something similar, they told me that RCCI are winding down Park West and I had the impression that they would be using this company at least on S Class ships.

On the Eclipse(May 3rd Sailing) there was a company called 'British American Auctioneers' or something similar, they told me that RCCI are winding down Park West and I had the impression that they would be using this company at least on S Class ships.

I believe they were on the Solstice as well.

:) Hi CruisingChick,

Thanks for the link. You just got off of the Mercury didn't you? I remember reading some of your posts. We will be bording the Mercury on May 17th. and we were wondering if Sheldon Thompson, Deniece Seow, and Heather Roddick were still on board. Is Captain Frantzis is still the Master? We've sailed with him many times. Anyway thanks again for the link it was very enlightening.

I believe RCI is also named in the $500,000 lawsuit regarding the Fake Dali's...that should have an interesting outcome. Wonder if Royal Caribbean will end up paying. They should be responsible for what Vendors do on their ships.

Archived