Tipping for the kids

Set Free

DH and I along with our 7 and 9 year olds will be going to Bermuda in 3 weeks on the Veendam and I was wondering about the tip that's added onto our bill. I know it's $11/day/person so that would be $44 a day for our family. My in-laws, who are traveling with us, told us to have them remove the $22 for the children - that is what they were told to do but I'm not so sure.

MY thinking is that they are still persons, while little, and they will still need to be served, cause beds to be made, need beverages, etc. They also will take advantage of the kids' program here and there so to me, the tip should be left alone. My husband is feeling that my ILs know what they are talking about and their TA also said to remove the kids' tip.

What would you do?

DH and I along with our 7 and 9 year olds will be going to Bermuda in 3 weeks on the Veendam and I was wondering about the tip that's added onto our bill. I know it's $11/day/person so that would be $44 a day for our family. My in-laws, who are traveling with us, told us to have them remove the $22 for the children - that is what they were told to do but I'm not so sure.

MY thinking is that they are still persons, while little, and they will still need to be served, cause beds to be made, need beverages, etc. They also will take advantage of the kids' program here and there so to me, the tip should be left alone. My husband is feeling that my ILs know what they are talking about and their TA also said to remove the kids' tip.

What would you do?

Your argument is exactly right. Children are "persons". All the things you outlined -- same bed changes, same bath linens, they'll be brought food on dishes just as you will be, their dishes and place settings will be cleaned up afterwards just like yours will be, etc. And yes, they'll be participating in the kids program (where, in fact, some parents tip, because the people who run the kids program are not part of the tipping pool).

There is a family cruising forum here on this site where you can ask this question -- and most parents, with perhaps the exception of those who are dealing with infants -- will agree that the tip should be left in place for each child. I'm really surprised you had a TA tell your inlaws otherwise!

It wasn't a TA who told them that, at least not according to the post. And, NO, you DO NOT remove the kid's tips! The staff work EVEN harder to keep kids happy than they work to keep adults happy. If it causes a problem with the in-laws, don't tell them you didn't remove the tips, just keep it to yourself. I bet by the time you are done, you will realize why most of us tip MORE than the suggested amount....Maureen

.....MY thinking is that they are still persons, while little, and they will still need to be served, cause beds to be made, need beverages, etc. They also will take advantage of the kids' program here and there so to me, the tip should be left alone. My husband is feeling that my ILs know what they are talking about and their TA also said to remove the kids' tip.

What would you do?

You have a great way of thinking logically. Big or little, young or old; your cabin steward will still have to make the beds, vaccuum the carpet, pick up the dirty towels and replace them with clean ones for the people in your cabin(s). The chef still cooks for them, the wait staff not only will serve their meals but will also make sure that they your young children are also entertained during their meals too.

And I, like others, hardly think that any travel agent would tell someone to remove or cut-in-half the tips that goes to any cruise worker. Sounds like your in-laws sort of stretched the point a little just to "try" and make it sound more creditable from their point of view.

Eeeek, what poor advice about cutting out the tips for the children!

Children often require more work from the staff rather than less. I know as I've cleaned up after children, plenty!

That said my own late MIL would have cut the tips for children and for anyone else she could manage to fiddle with. But that was her. And she was wrong.

It wasn't a TA who told them that, at least not according to the post. ....Maureen

My husband is feeling that my ILs know what they are talking about and their TA also said to remove the kids' tip.

It appears that it was their TA who gave them this bad advice......although it's a bit hard to believe if they have a TA who has much experience booking cruises.....

Or perhaps they are merely saying the TA gave the advice to give it more weight, hmmm? :rolleyes:

I'm a mom of 3, and the cabin stewards more than earn their tips with our kids. The boys' bathroom is always messier than ours! You will also likely find that the stewards dote on the kids - our kids usually get cookies left in the cabin at least one night during the cruise. In the dining room, the wait staff has always gone above and beyond for our sons. My youngest still tries to do some of the magic tricks he was taught in the dining room. Here's a great picture of our youngest son in February in the dining room on Carnival Conquest with a "friend," courtesy of our headwaiter:

2901652800094346881S500x500Q85.jpg

All in all, I'm another vote for leaving the kids' tips in place.

It is time for you to thank your MIL for her thoughts but you are capable of making your own decisions in life.

Personally, I think the cruise lines should charge double auto-tip for children, especially toddlers, they are much higher maintenance with their kids program, crumbs, sticky fingers, spilling drinks, dirty diapers. setting up special bedding, etc.

Before, you start flaming me, I have 3 grown children and they were very well behaved but they were human and the above applied to them, as well.

Have a wonderful cruise and I guarantee the staff will go out of their way to make a very enjoyable and memorable experience for your kids.

It appears that it was their TA who gave them this bad advice......although it's a bit hard to believe if they have a TA who has much experience booking cruises.....

Or perhaps they are merely saying the TA gave the advice to give it more weight, hmmm? :rolleyes:

....Hi Cynthia, Yes, thank you, when I went back and reread it, I do see where MIL CLAIMS the TA told them this, also. I think I was so hot under the collar, I didn't even finish reading the post the first time. If true, WORST TRAVEL AGENT ever!! Is he/she forfeiting his/her commission for the children's portion, also? I agree with ditch the IL's! Since they are paying, you might have to just slip the appropriate people cash when they are not around. So sad!....Maureen

....Hi Cynthia, Yes, thank you, when I went back and reread it, I do see where MIL CLAIMS the TA told them this, also. I think I was so hot under the collar, I didn't even finish reading the post the first time. If true, WORST TRAVEL AGENT ever!! Is he/she forfeiting his/her commission for the children's portion, also? I agree with ditch the IL's! Since they are paying, you might have to just slip the appropriate people cash when they are not around. So sad!....Maureen

We made sure we're paying the tip so we're OK on that. :) I just wanted to be sure that I wasn't thinking weirdly since I've never done a cruise. I'm glad to know I was thinking right. :)

We took our 3 granddaughters on a cruise last October to Bermuda & they had a wonderful time. Our waitstaff could not have been more attentitive. They showed the girls little tricks with toothpicks and napkin folding which they loved. When we arrived for dinner everynight there was Shirley Temples waiting for them along with a small fruit assortment until dinner arrived.

The Adventure Ocean Team on the Explorer of the Seas were fabulous with the children. The girls never wanted to leave! One night they begged us to stay until 1am. We gave in. Hey it was our vacation too....:D

Our cabin steward also made an extra towel animal each night and placed one on each of the girls bunks. The girls thought that was cool.

It was a great cruising vacation for the girls, but what made it even more special was the extra attention they received throughout the cruise itself.

From the Waitstaff right down to the Cabin Steward. Needless to say, everyone got more of a tip in their envelopes for helping make our Granddaughters first cruise a very special vacation that they will always remember.

I definitely would tip for the children, without question....

What would you do?

I know awhile back, Celebrity used to recommend tipping half for kids 11 and under - not sure if they still do that. I remember one time when our son was small, we had a paper to fill out so I filled it out for the first 2 adults (meaning full tips - waiter, assistant waiter, cabin steward, head waiter) and then I just added an additional amount that I thought was fair to cover his tips (I can't remember if it was for Celebrity or another cruise line) but nobody ever questioned anything and I thought what we gave was very fair. Some people might feel that kids don't often eat a 5-course meal so why tip a waiter the full amount? I do believe that the cabin steward earns his keep when trying to keep a kids' room clean though - sometimes those rooms are so messy with clothes all over the place that the cabin steward can't move in there! Looks sort of like WWIII!

Tipping is "per person", so as long as the kids are people, keep their tips in place!

If you were to eat at a restaurant, you'd tip a percentage of the bill, INCLUDING the kid's cost, right? Same on a ship! Not a percentage, but you still tip for the kids.

What terrible advice and so happy that you are questioning the removing of tips. It is alot harder for the staff do wait on four people than two.

My mom and grandma were not very good tippers and we always went behind them and left the servers more.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, we are back from our trip and.....

We kept the tip even though the ILs suggested over and over again to get them taken off. We additionally tipped our room steward on the last day and gave a great tip to the Club HAL staff along with nice notes to both. :) When I spoke to hubby on the second to last day, he agreed that they earned every penny of the tip money and he was glad that we didn't listen to his parents. :)

I'm glad you had a wonderful time and also glad you did what YOU wante,d not your m-i-l :D

It's nice of them to pay, but if the cost is doing everything they told you I think you'd find that too high a price, wouldn't you?

Good for you!

p.s. our 11yo DD will cost $12.50 a day in tips on NCL, the same as us, but I don't go to work not knowing what I will earn that day, so I tend to treat other people in the same manner even though I'm from the UK, I do understand the tipping thing, even though it's quite alien to us.:D

I hope the kids had a ball too!!:D

Archived