No more price drops for RC?

Could someone give me a link to the page on the UK website that talks about price reductions?

I just spoke to my TA and she has never heard of it.

It does state on a footnote from this new policy that this applies to North American bookings only

If I book the Wow sale today just to get the reduced deposit do I have the option to decline the OBC and use my C&A balcony discount instead?

Then if there is a price reduction before final payment and they force me to cancel and rebook I would lose nothing..(other than maybe my preferred cabin)

And of course I would have to put down a full deposit down.

The cruise is a year away, I don't want to tie up a full deposit but do want a certain cabin.

Thanks

Donna

If you book today, you can decline the $100 OBC in favor of using your Crown and Anchor platinum level balcony discount ($50/person) and still take advantage of the reduced deposit. I just did this very thing at a RCCL service agent's suggestion. In our case, we opted to do this not because of any concern over having to cancel, rebook and lose the $100 promotional OBC if there is a price drop before final payment. But because we will ultimately get a better discount after we take our 10th RCCL cruise this September and become Diamond level members, which would give a $100/person balcony discount. So, I booked today and got $50/person discount and after I cruise in September I will call back and get an additional $50/person discount for being a diamond member.

By the way, the service agent I spoke with said nothing about having to cancel and rebook if there is a price reduction before final payment is due, and then losing out on the $100 OBC; her understanding was that we would simply be offered an onboard credit or a stateroom upgrade should the price drop before final payment is due. Hopefully she is more informed than the "certified vacation planner" that I originally spoke with when I called into RCCL to make this booking. The vacation planner knew nothing about RCCL's new best price gauranty or any of the confusion surrounding the new 48 hour rule and whether you can get a price reduction all the way up to the time of final payment. The vacation planner originally told me that I could get the price drop up to 72 hours before sailing. Then, when I read her the new policy from RCCL's web page, the vacation planner hemmed and hawed and then did the right then and put me on hold for a couple minutes until she could find someone who knew anything about the new policy . . . which turned out to be the "service agent" that made my reservation.

Spoke with "Jerry" at reservations at 9:50am ET today, and he says there is no OBC policy in place from after 48hrs after booking until final payment due. I mentioned "what if a cruise for next year goes down in price next month". He told me i could not get any price reduction if i booked today at the higher price. I explained that I could cancel and rebook, and he said "yeah, i guess that would work"... and I asked "would i be RESTRICTED from rebooking the same cruise?" and then he attempted to transfer me to customer service and hung up.

along the way he stated that the policy is new this week and is new to him.

It doesn't bother me at all. They have those discounts so that more people get on their huge ships. Maybe those who split the discount-eligible cruisers up wouldn't cruise if they couldn't do it. Once they reach a certain capacity, they don't offer certain discounts. It's not about morality, it's about filling their ships.

Thing is RCCL reps SUGGEST it........they did for me once......told me to book FIL/husband in one........MIL/Me in another so we all could get the diamond discount..........I didnt do it for a few reasons...but my point is, they encourage that......:rolleyes:

Sorry.

I retract my statement. I just felt it was wrong if Mr. & Mrs. A split up so that their friends/relatives, Mr. & Mrs. B, so they can get the same discount (be it resident, senior and, I forgot to mention Diamond/D+) and then poor Mr. & Mrs. C come along a day later and a dollar short to find the discount is now gone.

But if "it's not about morality, it's about filling their ships", who am I to criticize.

I do, however, still think if they don't allow price drops after the 48 hours, they are going to have trouble filling their ships until closer to sail date.

~ Judy

Best Price Guarantee

s.gif

cor_print_icon.gifPrint This Page cor_print_icon.gifPrint This Page s.gif

Q: What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program? s.gif A: When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

a) available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current reservation;

b) available at the time the request for the lower rate is made; and

c) a rate that the current reservation would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply.

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will be available for most rate types with the exception of the Royal Sales Events and Exciting Deals; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new reservations only; or as specified in the price program detail. The subsequent lower rate will be subject to the prevailing taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement, if applicable.

What the reps are telling everyone on the phone IS NOT CONSISTENT with their written policy. It says "The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made"

I for one will not book in advance on RCL. Together with their childish policy of not allowing a bottle of wine or 2 onboard, will push me to try another line.

Sorry if this question has been asked but I'm just seeing this & don't have time to read the entire thread right now. What if I booked months ago when the price protection was still in effect. Can I still get an adjustment if mine goes down?

Sorry if this question has been asked but I'm just seeing this & don't have time to read the entire thread right now. What if I booked months ago when the price protection was still in effect. Can I still get an adjustment if mine goes down?

Ops normal for you.

I booked three weeks ago for a Dec 2011 cruise. I booked that far in advance for two reasons. I am taking my family of 11 and needed four cabins and wanted to get the cabins that I wanted near each other. I had a certain budget in mind. I two next cruise certificates that I will use. I wil also use Crown and Anchor balcony discount. I booked this far in advance because I wanted to guarentee the cabins; and I needed the time to save the money, since my wife and I are paying for the cruise, tips, airfare, hotels, transfers. If I get a price drop that is fine; if I don't I still saved a few dollars thru the next cruise and balcony discounts. Anything else I receive thru my RCI credit card or other discounts would be nice; but if I don't receive any more discounts I am ok with that. I want to have a family vacation and I want to have fun. RCI is a business and they are now tighting the bottom line purse strings. They are in a business where the bottom line and margin to make a profit is pretty slim. This is just my opinion and I know everyone has their own reasons. I do not want to offend anyone who may be thinking RCI changed the game midstream. On all their contracts, they put in plain easy to read language, we reserve the right to change pricing, change the rewards points with the credit card etc. I am happy to be taking my family on a once in a lifetime vacation. Ages 3-60.

I find this entire thing so upsetting. As a TA I also received the material that Michelle got and also called the TA booking desk for clarification. I posted many pages back what I was told. Of course, since then, we've had people doing on line chats and getting different answers from different people, people calling C&A, people calling regular booking reps, all with different information.

I don't think we're going to know the reality until someone makes a booking as of or after May 17 and then attempts to claim a price reduction outside of the 48 hour window. Then we'll see exactly what they are going to do.

It would appear, if they are going to continue to give drops up until final payment, that the "cancel and rebook" language is designed to force people to make a choice between 1) keeping their cabin, 2) keeping an OBC that is associated with a WOW or on board booking, 3) keeping a reduced deposit that came with a WOW or other special promotion. If we think about it, it certainly saves them money all the way around. Like when they stopped allowing the combining of benefits and you had to choose which you wanted more.

Ceasing credits after final is in line with Carnival. However, ceasing credits up until final is not "industry standard" as we know that even Carnival will do it no matter what booking option you choose (whether it's Early Saver or not). So it remains to be seen if Royal is planning on introducing some sort of early saver program that they will tout as a wonderful new option, allowing you to get credit up until 2 days before sailing. I'm sure the spin drs will have a great time convincing us that what we always had (price drops honored) is now "new and improved" by attaching a non refundable deposit to it.

I will continue to call into the TA desk today to see if I receive any different information, and will post if I do.

Sorry.

I retract my statement. I just felt it was wrong if Mr. & Mrs. A split up so that their friends/relatives, Mr. & Mrs. B, so they can get the same discount (be it resident, senior and, I forgot to mention Diamond/D+) and then poor Mr. & Mrs. C come along a day later and a dollar short to find the discount is now gone.

~ Judy

Oh,I agree with you!!:) 100%

BTW-to those of you who "chatted" online with a rep,where is that option????? I have never noticed it before.......:confused:

BTW-to those of you who "chatted" online with a rep,where is that option????? I have never noticed it before.......:confused:

Log in to the C&A section of the RCI website. It's about mid-way down on the right.

Anyone who booked a cruise prior to 5/17/2010 is under the "old" program where you will still get any price reductions up until 72 hours prior to sailing.

Just spoke with RCL Customer Service and have the following answer:

1) if you find a lower price within 48 hrs, you get 110%.

2) if you find a lower price after final payment, you only get upgrade (if you want it).

3) if you find a lower price after 48 hrs, but before final payment you get the ON BOARD CREDIT (or an upgrade). You do NOT have to rebook. You do not have to pay a higher deposit.

She explained that the new price guarantee has eliminated getting the OBC after final payment. She also mentioned that if you dont use your OBC, you lose it.

I asked where is the OBC policy for between 49 hours and the final payment. She directed me here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqId=4201&faqType=faq

which shows:

For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

a) available for the same ship, sailing, category and number of guests as the current reservation;

c) a rate that the current reservation would be eligible to receive, if any special restrictions apply.

I just got off the phone from booking a cruise for next November. After being transferred from one "Certified Cruise Planners" who did not know about this new policy I was talking about (he was on vacation last week and missed the meeting:rolleyes:), I spoke with an agent who told me (after going to check again with her superiors) that if the price drops between booking and final payment, you can still get OBC, upgrade, or price adjustment. After final payment, only upgrades. She said you could get the OBC 110% within 48 hours of final payment. I let her know that the website did not make this clear at all. Hopefully, this will be made more clear soon if they are receiving so many questions. I asked her if we would have to cancel and rebook to take advantage of price drops and she said no, that would not be necessary as it would just be more paperwork. Who knows at this point, but I went ahead and booked since there isn't really anything to lose but the OBC that I wouldn't get anyway if I waited.

2) if you find a lower price after final payment, you only get upgrade (if you want it).

3) if you find a lower price after 48 hrs, but before final payment you get the ON BOARD CREDIT (or an upgrade). You do NOT have to rebook. You do not have to pay a higher deposit.

She explained that the new price guarantee has eliminated getting the OBC after final payment. She also mentioned that if you dont use your OBC, you lose it.

I asked where is the OBC policy for between 49 hours and the final payment. She directed me here:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqId=4201&faqType=faq

which shows:

For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

Bob,

Thanks for the call to RCL. I believe what you wrote my be RCL's INTENTION, but their written policy (that you linked to) says in 2 spots:

"The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. "

Their WRITTEN policy is NOT CLEAR. I think what they are trying to say is that the 110% "Best Price Guarantee" is only available within 48 hours, but a diffferent "price protection" is available between 49 hours and final payment. But they don't state that... the entire policy is called "Best Price Guarantee".

RCL: Hire some professional writers to word your policies. They are horribly worded and CONFUSING. I won't book in advance until I see a clear policy and even then, I have no motivation to plunk down $1000 a year out since I'm sure they'll wait for 70 days before sailing to reduce prices. I'll do last minute books... there are tons of choices out there!

which shows:

Unfortunately it also says this:

Q: What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program? s.gifA: When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made. The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will be available for most rate types with the exception of the Royal Sales Events and Exciting Deals; Travel Agent, Interline or Industry Reduced Rates; Employee rate programs; and a select number of price programs and promotions; for new reservations only; or as specified in the price program detail. The subsequent lower rate will be subject to the prevailing taxes and fees and/or fuel supplement, if applicable.

After 48 hours the pricing guarantee is no longer in effect.

Edit: Oops to slow on the response.

I've never believed anything basically has changed except for the initial 48 hour period and this was done just to keep up with Carnival. RCI is just offering this little something extra....another 10% of the difference which could end up being only a dollar more if the price drops $10 after you book it.

http://www.carnival.com/cms/fun/cruise_control/guarantee.aspx

I still think there's a lot of unneeded panic.

Gina

Sounds like you have to cancel and rebook before final payment to get the total price reduced if you don't want OBC or an upgrade.

Unfortunately it also says this:

Q: What is the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program? s.gifA: When you reserve with Royal Caribbean and subsequently find a lower rate advertised by Royal Caribbean within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made, we will honor that lower eligible rate by applying an onboard credit to the reservation equal to 110% of the price difference. For reservations outside of final payment period, the onboard credit may be replaced, upon request, with a reduction to the outstanding balance or a refund. An eligible, fare must be:

After 48 hours the pricing guarantee is no longer in effect.

Edit: Oops to slow on the response.

Actually it's the "best price guarantee program" that is no longer in effect. The regular price adjustments are NOT part of a "program" and I would be willing to bet that they will still be honored.

Gina

which shows:

That is the policy for finding a lower fare within 48 hours. There is no written statement about what happens after 48 hours and before final payment. This is were all the confusion is coming from.

Different CSRs are giving different info, it is a complete mess in that regard. When you make a change like this you must communicate it clearly to your employees who will be able to clearly communicate it to customers...business 101.

As others have said the only way to figure this out (without any more writtem clarification from RCI) is to have someone on CC book and experience a price drop after the 48 hour window but before final payment.

Sounds like you have to cancel and rebook before final payment to get the total price reduced if you don't want OBC or an upgrade.

I just confirmed, you can also get the price reduced.

And, if you book during the WOW sale, you wont lose your reduced deposit, room, or 100/cabin WOW OBC.

Here is the transcript of the on line chat that I just had with a RCCL Crown & Anchor representative:

RobertRCCL [09:12]: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?

[Elephant98][09:12]: Can you clarify the new best price gauranty program? I just made a 2011 booking on the Allure this morning and was told that if the price dropped before the final payment is due that I would be able to get an onboard credit for the difference. But, now that I have visited the Cruise Critic website, it appears that people are being told many different things. Some say that they were told that if they booked today for a cruise over a year away that they only have 48 hours to take advantage of a price drop. Others say they have been told that if the price drops before final payment is due that you will have to cancel your booking and then rebook -- risking losing out on your preferred cabin and any promotional onboard credit. (By the way, I did not take the $100 credit offerred as part of the WOW program, but got $100 off through my Crown and Anchor balcony discount). Can you clarify for me what is the real story?

RobertRCCL [09:13]: Hi Kyle, one moment while I check the facts for you

[Elephant98] [09:14]: Ok. Thank you.

RobertRCCL [09:22]: Thanks for waiting. For all bookings made on or after May 17, if the price drops prior to the final payment the difference can be applied as either an upgrade, On Board Credit, or a refund. After fianl payment date, if you contact us within 48 hours of the price change you can submit a form to request the difference be applied as an On Board Credit valued at %110 of the difference. If after 48 hours from the time of the change the only offer would be to upgrade to a category that would be covered by the difference

[Elephant98] [09:26]: Thank you for looking into this. I was hoping what you said was the case, but the policy posted on the website is not a model of clarity and is open to many different interpretations. On top of that, it does not appear that your certified vacation planners understand the policy themselves. . . Or, even worse, they don't even know it exists. The first vacation planner I spoke with this morning said that I still had up until 72 hours prior to sailing to take advantage of a price reduction. I fear that you are in for a long day of dealing with confused cruisers. Please pass this on to the higher ups so that they can either clarify their web page and/or issue an official statement clarifying the new policy.

RobertRCCL [09:27]: Thank you Kyle, I must agree it looks like the policy was created in a Congressional sub committe. I will pass along your observatons and concerns

[Elephant98] [09:27]: Thanks. Have a great day.

Archived