No more price drops for RC?

That is the policy for finding a lower fare within 48 hours. There is no written statement about what happens after 48 hours and before final payment. This is were all the confusion is coming from.

Different CSRs are giving different info, it is a complete mess in that regard. When you make a change like this you must communicate it clearly to your employees who will be able to clearly communicate it to customers...business 101.

As others have said the only way to figure this out (without any more writtem clarification from RCI) is to have someone on CC book and experience a price drop after the 48 hour window but before final payment.

LOL - and since when has this ever happened with RCI? They had the same problem when they stopped allowing multiple discounts. They had the same problem when they changed the D/D+ policy in regards to the CL.

Every policy change or addition results in the same thing. You'd think they'd get a little more outside input when enacting a new "program" and that they'd present it to their employees well in advance.

Gina

The new policy seems very clear as written. I think people are trying to read more into it or trying to read what they want into it.

Clear as written and not open to interpretation???? Thats why there will be 500 posts on here by the end of the day.

RobertRCCL [09:27]: Thank you Kyle, I must agree it looks like the policy was created in a Congressional sub committe. I will pass along your observatons and concerns

[Elephant98] [09:27]: Thanks. Have a great day.

That's classic. :)

Here is the transcript of the on line chat that I just had with a RCCL Crown & Anchor representative:

RobertRCCL [09:12]: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?

[Elephant98][09:12]: Can you clarify the new best price gauranty program? I just made a 2011 booking on the Allure this morning and was told that if the price dropped before the final payment is due that I would be able to get an onboard credit for the difference. But, now that I have visited the Cruise Critic website, it appears that people are being told many different things. Some say that they were told that if they booked today for a cruise over a year away that they only have 48 hours to take advantage of a price drop. Others say they have been told that if the price drops before final payment is due that you will have to cancel your booking and then rebook -- risking losing out on your preferred cabin and any promotional onboard credit. (By the way, I did not take the $100 credit offerred as part of the WOW program, but got $100 off through my Crown and Anchor balcony discount). Can you clarify for me what is the real story?

RobertRCCL [09:13]: Hi Kyle, one moment while I check the facts for you

[Elephant98] [09:14]: Ok. Thank you.

RobertRCCL [09:22]: Thanks for waiting. For all bookings made on or after May 17, if the price drops prior to the final payment the difference can be applied as either an upgrade, On Board Credit, or a refund. After fianl payment date, if you contact us within 48 hours of the price change you can submit a form to request the difference be applied as an On Board Credit valued at %110 of the difference. If after 48 hours from the time of the change the only offer would be to upgrade to a category that would be covered by the difference

[Elephant98] [09:26]: Thank you for looking into this. I was hoping what you said was the case, but the policy posted on the website is not a model of clarity and is open to many different interpretations. On top of that, it does not appear that your certified vacation planners understand the policy themselves. . . Or, even worse, they don't even know it exists. The first vacation planner I spoke with this morning said that I still had up until 72 hours prior to sailing to take advantage of a price reduction. I fear that you are in for a long day of dealing with confused cruisers. Please pass this on to the higher ups so that they can either clarify their web page and/or issue an official statement clarifying the new policy.

RobertRCCL [09:27]: Thank you Kyle, I must agree it looks like the policy was created in a Congressional sub committe. I will pass along your observatons and concerns

Exactly what I was told today by my RCCL rep (except the Congressional subcommitte part - lol!)

Here is the transcript of the on line chat that I just had with a RCCL Crown & Anchor representative:

RobertRCCL [09:12]: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?

[Elephant98][09:12]: Can you clarify the new best price gauranty program? I just made a 2011 booking on the Allure this morning and was told that if the price dropped before the final payment is due that I would be able to get an onboard credit for the difference. But, now that I have visited the Cruise Critic website, it appears that people are being told many different things. Some say that they were told that if they booked today for a cruise over a year away that they only have 48 hours to take advantage of a price drop. Others say they have been told that if the price drops before final payment is due that you will have to cancel your booking and then rebook -- risking losing out on your preferred cabin and any promotional onboard credit. (By the way, I did not take the $100 credit offerred as part of the WOW program, but got $100 off through my Crown and Anchor balcony discount). Can you clarify for me what is the real story?

RobertRCCL [09:13]: Hi Kyle, one moment while I check the facts for you

[Elephant98] [09:14]: Ok. Thank you.

RobertRCCL [09:22]: Thanks for waiting. For all bookings made on or after May 17, if the price drops prior to the final payment the difference can be applied as either an upgrade, On Board Credit, or a refund. After fianl payment date, if you contact us within 48 hours of the price change you can submit a form to request the difference be applied as an On Board Credit valued at %110 of the difference. If after 48 hours from the time of the change the only offer would be to upgrade to a category that would be covered by the difference

[Elephant98] [09:26]: Thank you for looking into this. I was hoping what you said was the case, but the policy posted on the website is not a model of clarity and is open to many different interpretations. On top of that, it does not appear that your certified vacation planners understand the policy themselves. . . Or, even worse, they don't even know it exists. The first vacation planner I spoke with this morning said that I still had up until 72 hours prior to sailing to take advantage of a price reduction. I fear that you are in for a long day of dealing with confused cruisers. Please pass this on to the higher ups so that they can either clarify their web page and/or issue an official statement clarifying the new policy.

And yet another deviation from the printed webpage which refers to "within 48 hours from the time the reservation is made", not from the time of the change. Unfortunately it looks like it is not just the CVP's who are having numerous interpretations.

~ Judy

To me the language as written means you get 110% of the difference in fares if you find a lower price within 48 hrs after booking. This is a Bonus!

Reductions after that (before penalty period) can get a ship bd credit OR a fare reduction based on the lower price but no 110% bonus;

and if during the penalty period, I think but am not sure, that you would still get the Onboard credit for a fare reduction but the not the 110% bonus...that's how it seems to me

What do Celebrity & Royal say???

it would be sad if they made a program intending it to be more attractive & it is being turned the opposite from misinterpretation-they should rush out a clarification....

I just chatted with Robert at RCCL, and this is the conversation,

RobertRCCL [09:28]: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?

Jim[09:28]: I know you are probably busy, but could you explain the new price guarantee policy. I was planning on booking B2B cruise on the Voyager 11/26/11 and 12/3/11, but what I understand about the policy is if there is a price drop or change after the 48 hours there are no more adjustment such OBC, refund or upgrade.

Thanks!

RobertRCCL[09:33]: Hi Jim. our new Best Price Guarantee program can be a bit confusing. For all bookings made on or after May 17, if the price drops prior to final payment the difference can be applied as either an upgrade, On board credit equal to the difference of the price, or a refund. After fianl payment, if you contact us within 48 hours of the published change and submit a request form you can receive an On Board Credit at %110 of the difference, or an upgrade. After final payment date, and after 48 hours of the price change the only option would be to upgrade to a category covered by the difference

Jim[09:38]: Just let me paraphrase your answer so I understand the policy, after 5/17/10 any price change could be received as upgrade, obc or a refund, but after final payment (usually 60 days before cruise) I have to contact RCI with 48 hours to receive an obc at 110%. After the 48 hours the only option is an upgrade if one is available.

RobertRCCL [09:39]: That is correct. I know it sounds like it was written in a Congressional Sub Committee

[09:40]: The key factor is the final payment date

[09:40]: or actual payment

Jim[09:40]: I think I understand the policy, if what I wrote you is correct. Really, someone at RCI should read and evaluate what is sent out to the customers to cut back on people becoming upset, because the policy is very confusing. Thank You!

RobertRCCL[09:41]: Thanks Jim, I will pass this along

This response is consistent with the response given to Elephant98.

Jim

"After final payment date, if you contact us within 48 hours of the price change you can submit a form to request the difference be applied as an On Board Credit valued at %110 of the difference. If after 48 hours from the time of the change the only offer would be to upgrade to a category that would be covered by the difference"

Another new interpretation of the policy. RCL needs to fire someone over this policy. They have no business sense whatsoever. IF they are trying to get rid of price drops after final payment, All they had to do was keep the wording of the existing policy, only changing the "up to 72 hours" from booking to "until final payment". IDIOTS.

To me the language as written means you get 110% of the difference in fares if you find a lower price within 48 hrs after booking. This is a Bonus!

Reductions after that (before penalty period) can get a ship bd credit OR a fare reduction based on the lower price but no 110% bonus;

and if during the penalty period, I think but am not sure, that you would still get the Onboard credit for a fare reduction but the not the 110% bonus...that's how it seems to me

I agree. I think you nailed it.

RobertRCCL [09:28]: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?

Jim[09:28]: I know you are probably busy, but could you explain the new price guarantee policy. I was planning on booking B2B cruise on the Voyager 11/26/11 and 12/3/11, but what I understand about the policy is if there is a price drop or change after the 48 hours there are no more adjustment such OBC, refund or upgrade.

Thanks!

RobertRCCL[09:33]: Hi Jim. our new Best Price Guarantee program can be a bit confusing. For all bookings made on or after May 17, if the price drops prior to final payment the difference can be applied as either an upgrade, On board credit equal to the difference of the price, or a refund. After fianl payment, if you contact us within 48 hours of the published change and submit a request form you can receive an On Board Credit at %110 of the difference, or an upgrade. After final payment date, and after 48 hours of the price change the only option would be to upgrade to a category covered by the difference

Jim[09:38]: Just let me paraphrase your answer so I understand the policy, after 5/17/10 any price change could be received as upgrade, obc or a refund, but after final payment (usually 60 days before cruise) I have to contact RCI with 48 hours to receive an obc at 110%. After the 48 hours the only option is an upgrade if one is available.

RobertRCCL [09:39]: That is correct. I know it sounds like it was written in a Congressional Sub Committee

Jim[09:40]: I think I understand the policy, if what I wrote you is correct. Really, someone at RCI should read and evaluate what is sent out to the customers to cut back on people becoming upset, because the policy is very confusing. Thank You!

Jim

It is consistent with the response given to Elephant98, same chat guy, but it is not consistent with the wording of the policy or information given to others:confused:

Thanks!

Jim

It looks like we spoke with the same Robert at RCCL. His response to you looks like it was largely cut and pasted from his earlier response to me, seeing that it has the same misspellings in it. (Which is a smart thing to do, assuming that his understanding of the policy is correct. I just hope he is right.)

It is consistent with the response given to Elephant98, same chat guy, but it is not consistent with the wording of the policy or information given to others:confused:

"RobertRCCL[09:33]: Hi Jim. our new Best Price Guarantee program can be a bit confusing. For all bookings made on or after May 17, if the price drops prior to final payment the difference can be applied as either an upgrade, On board credit equal to the difference of the price, or a refund. After final payment, if you contact us within 48 hours of the published change and submit a request form you can receive an On Board Credit at %110 of the difference, or an upgrade. After final payment date, and after 48 hours of the price change the only option would be to upgrade to a category covered by the difference"

OK, so lets work this example. Price drops 90 days before cruise, I get an OBC or refund right? This seems to be clear based on this guy's interpretation. Then I make final payment 70 days before cruise and THE NEXT DAY the price drops again. This guy here is saying I get 110%. I don't buy it. The 48 hours written in the ACTUAL policy is only referring to 48 hours from booking. These guys are really confusing someone who books at the last minute with people that have booked way in advance.

This guy must hate us!

RobertRCCL [09:44]: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?

Bob [09:44]: I have a question re: price drops on new bookings.

RobertRCCL [09:44]: Hi Bob

Bob [09:44]: hi

RobertRCCL [09:45]: The new program is a bit confusing, hopefully I can clear it up for you

Bob [09:45]: OK

RobertRCCL [09:48]: For all bookings made on or after May 17, if the price drops prior to making the final payment, the difference can be applied as an upgrade, On Board Credit, or refund. After fianl payment, if you contact us and submit a request form within 48 hours of the published price change you can either be upgraded, or recieve an On Board Credit equal to %110 of the difference. After final payment, and after 48 hours of the price change the only option is to upgrade.

Bob [09:49]: then why does the website say that I have 48 hrs AFTER THE RESERVATION IS MADE to find the lower price?

RobertRCCL [09:49]: I have a feeling this is a topic of discussion on Cruise Critic

Bob [09:49]: is that for the 110%?

[09:49]: or for the policy as a whole?

RobertRCCL [09:49]: Let me double check the policy once more

Bob [09:50]: thanks, because paragraph 2 states: "The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made."

[09:50]: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqId=4201&faqType=faq

RobertRCCL [09:55]: The 48 hour rule applies when a booking was created within the standrd final payment date window. In other word, if you book something within 70 days of the sail date for a 7 day cruise, and the prices drops within 48 hours of the time you booked it, and submit a request form, then the On Board Credit can be applied at %110 of the difference

[09:55]: after 48 hours, the only option is to upgrade

Bob [09:57]: ok. if I make a reservation today for a cruise NEXT APRIL and it reduces in price any time between now and final payment (90 days prior), then I get 110% OBC? and I dont have to cancel/rebook? and I dont lose my WOW OBC of $100 per room? and I dont lose my reduced deposit or have to make a larger deposit?

RobertRCCL [09:59]: If the price drops prior to the cancelation penalty period (final payment date), the OBC is equal to the amount of the price drop. The %110 applies to bookings created within the normal cancelation period (short term bookings) where the price drops wihin 48 hours of the time it was booked

[10:00]: This could be combined with the WOW OBC and reduced deposit

[10:00]: for bookings made outside of the cancelation window

Bob [10:01]: great! and i wouldnt have to CANCEL and REBOOK, just call and request my OBC?

[10:01]: and still keep my room?

RobertRCCL [10:01]: Correct

[10:01]: I know this is very confusing, and I apologize as this is new to us as well

Bob [10:02]: Thanks, Robert. You are becoming quite popular on the cruisecritic website. Thanks for your help.

RobertRCCL [10:02]: Please pass along my apologies for confusing everyone

Bob [10:03]: there are still people doubting, since you are the same agent replying to everyone.

[10:04]: people want to see it in PRINT on the website. the comment of "Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made" scares us.

[10:04]: so "reservation" means FINAL PAYMENT and not BOOKING in your words.

RobertRCCL [10:04]: I am going to look at tht myself, and pass along everyones concerns

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS!

Do a google search on Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee.

If you click on the Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee - Royal Caribbean International link, you'll get the NEW & IMPROVED Best Price Guarantee Page.

BUT

if you click on the cached version of Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee - Royal Caribbean International link, you'll see the May 12th version.

HURRY BEFORE GOOGLE UPDATES THE CACHE!

Again, I don't know if this was their intention, but this is the result as it now stands in writing.

~ Judy

Yes, we knew it was changed from the old to the new. Nothing shocking here?

Except if you look at what's been removed, it clearly shows that ANY price adjustment is limited to 48 hours after reserving, whether your within or outside of final payment. That's it.

I think CVPs and C&A see the mention of final payment in the new policy and are misinterpreting or trying to read something into the way it now stands.

I personally would not rely upon their statements.

~ Judy

This guy must hate us!

RobertRCCL [09:44]: Welcome to our real-time support chat. How can I help you today?

Bob [09:44]: I have a question re: price drops on new bookings.

RobertRCCL [09:44]: Hi Bob

Bob [09:44]: hi

RobertRCCL [09:45]: The new program is a bit confusing, hopefully I can clear it up for you

Bob [09:45]: OK

RobertRCCL [09:48]: For all bookings made on or after May 17, if the price drops prior to making the final payment, the difference can be applied as an upgrade, On Board Credit, or refund. After fianl payment, if you contact us and submit a request form within 48 hours of the published price change you can either be upgraded, or recieve an On Board Credit equal to %110 of the difference. After final payment, and after 48 hours of the price change the only option is to upgrade.

Bob [09:49]: then why does the website say that I have 48 hrs AFTER THE RESERVATION IS MADE to find the lower price?

RobertRCCL [09:49]: I have a feeling this is a topic of discussion on Cruise Critic

Bob [09:49]: is that for the 110%?

[09:49]: or for the policy as a whole?

RobertRCCL [09:49]: Let me double check the policy once more

Bob [09:50]: thanks, because paragraph 2 states: "The Royal Caribbean Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made."

[09:50]: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqId=4201&faqType=faq

RobertRCCL [09:55]: The 48 hour rule applies when a booking was created within the standrd final payment date window. In other word, if you book something within 70 days of the sail date for a 7 day cruise, and the prices drops within 48 hours of the time you booked it, and submit a request form, then the On Board Credit can be applied at %110 of the difference

[09:55]: after 48 hours, the only option is to upgrade

Bob [09:57]: ok. if I make a reservation today for a cruise NEXT APRIL and it reduces in price any time between now and final payment (90 days prior), then I get 110% OBC? and I dont have to cancel/rebook? and I dont lose my WOW OBC of $100 per room? and I dont lose my reduced deposit or have to make a larger deposit?

RobertRCCL [09:59]: If the price drops prior to the cancelation penalty period (final payment date), the OBC is equal to the amount of the price drop. The %110 applies to bookings created within the normal cancelation period (short term bookings) where the price drops wihin 48 hours of the time it was booked

[10:00]: This could be combined with the WOW OBC and reduced deposit

[10:00]: for bookings made outside of the cancelation window

Bob [10:01]: great! and i wouldnt have to CANCEL and REBOOK, just call and request my OBC?

[10:01]: and still keep my room?

RobertRCCL [10:01]: Correct

[10:01]: I know this is very confusing, and I apologize as this is new to us as well

Bob [10:02]: Thanks, Robert. You are becoming quite popular on the cruisecritic website. Thanks for your help.

RobertRCCL [10:02]: Please pass along my apologies for confusing everyone

Bob [10:03]: there are still people doubting, since you are the same agent replying to everyone.

[10:04]: people want to see it in PRINT on the website. the comment of "Best Price Guarantee Program will only be available up to 48 hours after the reservation is made" scares us.

[10:04]: so "reservation" means FINAL PAYMENT and not BOOKING in your words.

RobertRCCL [10:04]: I am going to look at tht myself, and pass along everyones concerns

So now Robert has changed his mind as well!!:confused:

If you choose to pay the full amount when you book the cruise, do you loose the option of getting OBC if price drops? Or do you have this OBC-option until 90 days before the cruise no matter whether you have paid the full amount or not?

If I'm to believe RobertRCCL's last post, then the bottom line here is that RCL has changed the price protection policy they used to have

FROM: get price drops in the form of OBC after final payment UP to 72 hours of sailing

TO: if price drops after final payment, you only have the option of an upgrade.

They also instituted a new "48 policy" for 110% of price drop if the price drops within 48 hours from the time you make your reservation (which is defined as when you give them any money).

Is this what you guys are reading from this? Obviously, I won't believe until I see it on RCL's site, but this is the feeling I'm getting with the explanations.

and google is in charge of royals' website how? :rolleyes:

Why sarcastic? :confused::(

It's a cached page - it's the Price Guarantee on royals' website as of May 12th vs. May 17th.

People are reading things into the May 17th terms that are simply NOT there. And that includes CVPs and C&A. They were there, back on May 12th, but they are gone now. Nowhere does it say you will get any kind of credit for any price reductions after the 48 hour period.

If you (that's the generic "you", not you personally) find a good price that you are happy with, go for it. I intend to hold off booking until RCCL clarifies it on their website.

~ Judy

Archived