best cruise line for 8-9 year old?

palavra

We are planning on our first cruise sometime in the the next year. Our daughter will be 8 or 9. Which cruise line would you suggest that has plenty of things for a child that age? We would also like to be able to enjoy some adult time alone as well. I would love to hear about the facilities, good and not so good, on cruise ships that make Caribbean/Bahamas voyages.

Carnival, RCI and Disney probably have the most stuff geared towards kids that age....while the other "mass market" lines do welcome kids, they don't have all the kids programs that the above 3 will have.

We are planning on our first cruise sometime in the the next year. Our daughter will be 8 or 9. Which cruise line would you suggest that has plenty of things for a child that age? We would also like to be able to enjoy some adult time alone as well. I would love to hear about the facilities, good and not so good, on cruise ships that make Caribbean/Bahamas voyages.

There is a Family Cruising forum here under the Special Interest board. You will find lots of advice about sailing with kids there. EM

I don't have any small children but on my recent RCI cruise it was an absolute pleasure to see youngsters having a wonderful time with their organised activities :D .....playing 'pirates' around the ship and dancing their little legs off and having the Captain tell them they were doing a wonderful job :)

In addition to RCI, Princess has an excellent children's program and in fact I think it offers the best program of any cruise line with the exception of Disney. Celebrity cruise lines has another great line.

IMHO there is no "best" because what is best for one family is not "best for another one.

My experience is that the kids will love the cruise and the cruise program for multiple cruise lines.

Keith

I think disney does the best job, plus as a parent you ahve plenty of time where you know they will be safe and you can enjoy your time alone. The ship is not really crawling with kids like you would think, they have pretty much a whole deck dedicated to the kid's programs. They also have set meal times where the kids are taken down a "secret passage" to a special area of the buffet for lunch.

We sailed on RC (Navigator) when our daughter was 10. She was a little bored with the Kids Program. There were few kids her age on the cruise (this is very time of year dependant, we went in January). She chose to hang out with the 11 year old in the next cabin instead. I did see kids in the 8-9 year old range having a great time with the scavenger hunt and other activities.

While I have not been on RCL, and my experience on Carnival was a long time ago, we just took our almost 9-year-old granddaughter on Disney's Wonder. The kids love the Oceaneers' Lab (Oceaneers' Club for somewhat younger kids), and rarely wanted to leave even when they had to. The shows are really appropriate and entertaining for kids, the wait staff takes extra good care of kids in the dining rooms. AND then there are the characters! There was not a single second she wasn't having a great time.

RCCL has more things for kids, we took our kids 9 and 11 a few years ago, they loved the rock climbing and ice skating.

When we chose a cruise we generally chose by itinerary, last year and next year we are doing the Carnival Victory, taking the kids this next time.

We love the port everyday, but a 9 year old will have a blast no matter what. Actually, my son who is 12 now wanted us to find a cruise with a sea day, but she who pays the bills picks the itinerary.

Have a Blast! Your son is lucky to get to go on a cruise, he will love the experience!

RCCL has more things for kids, we took our kids 9 and 11 a few years ago, they loved the rock climbing and ice skating.

When we chose a cruise we generally chose by itinerary, last year and next year we are doing the Carnival Victory, taking the kids this next time.

We love the port everyday, but a 9 year old will have a blast no matter what. Actually, my son who is 12 now wanted us to find a cruise with a sea day, but she who pays the bills picks the itinerary.

Have a Blast! Your son is lucky to get to go on a cruise, he will love the experience!

OOOPPPPSSS sorry, I said son, and you have a duaghter! Well, same thing apply, our daughter loved it all too!

Archived