Bon Voyage World Cruisers 2010 ( thats better )

Gaznjo

[quote name='Kiwi Kruzer'][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]From what source did you obtain that information?

and if not going there ..Why?
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

The Dawn Princess web cam is saying they are now heading to Boston, USA.

Why? Don’t know, hopefully someone will post a blog soon and let us know.

[quote name='Kiwi_cruiser']The Dawn Princess web cam is saying they are now heading to Boston, USA.

Why? Don’t know, hopefully someone will post a blog soon and let us know.[/quote]

Just received a 'hot off the press' email from our friends on board and they have had to turn around due to bad weather so will not be calling at DUBLIN.
Our friends are devastated, they have waited for years to go to Ireland, his Dad was Irish. So sad, do feel so sorry for them. The whole ship was looking forward to a Guinness or two in Dublin.

Just looked at the weather conditions and it showed at 0500GMT waves of 6 metres.....surely that can't be correct.

Can't control the weather though.....wish I could though, just this once ;)

Jillybean:)

[quote name='Kiwi_cruiser']The Dawn Princess web cam is saying they are now heading to Boston, USA.Why? Don’t know, hopefully someone will post a blog soon and let us know.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]Oh Boy...
bet there will be some very unhappy campers on board:eek:

Long time at sea now:rolleyes:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Kiwi Kruzer'][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Oh Boy...[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]bet there will be some very unhappy campers on board:eek:[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Long time at sea now:rolleyes:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/quote]

I was thinking the same David, they will not be happy peeps on board. The new passengers will be still trying to get their sealegs and will have many rough days at sea by the sound of it.

Jillybean:)

I'm thinking if you really really want to visit somewhere and your trip would be ruined if you didn't get there, a once in a lifetime dream world cruise isn't the best way to go. Any other means of transport - planes, ferries, trains, buses - you can just catch another one, when the weather clears. (We once sat over 24 hours in a big ferry in Athens' Port, waiting for the seas to calm to depart for Crete.)

I have a history buff friend whose cruise would have already been ruined by the first missed port (? Valley of the Kings), let alone Dublin.

Of course, if you are a frequent traveller, it is not as big a problem.

[quote name='MMDown Under']I'm thinking if you really really want to visit somewhere and your trip will be ruined if you don't get there, a once in a lifetime dream world cruise isn't the best way to go. Any other means of transport - planes, ferries, trains, buses - you can just catch another one, when the weather clears.

I have a history buff friend whose cruise would have already been ruined by the first missed port (? Valley of the Kings), let alone Dublin.[/quote]

I found a webcam for the Ferry Terminal and it looks very calm. Not sure if that is where they would have docked though. The local weather says the wind is from the WEST at 24 KmH. That's not too bad.

Jillybean

I just read THE HEALY BLOG TOO, AND ANOTHER 104 DAYS AROUND THE WORLD, some very unhappy pax on board no doubt, such is life on the high seas. SAFETY REASONS ACCORDING TO THE cAPTAIN ON ONE BLOG.

So it would be 6 days at sea now to Boston ?

i am sure the captain and the harbour master or whoever knows best... I am sure they didn't make the decision lighty and risk upsetting 2000 passengers...

remember that costa ship earlier this year .... when the weather was bad and they tried to dock... ending up hitting the pier and one of the crew members lost their life....

very sad....

joanne

[quote name='packetau']i am sure the captain and the harbour master or whoever knows best... I am sure they didn't make the decision lighty and risk upsetting 2000 passengers...

remember that costa ship earlier this year .... when the weather was bad and they tried to dock... ending up hitting the pier and one of the crew members lost their life....

very sad....

joanne[/quote]

Really, I hadn't heard of that incident, that's sad. Perhaps it's a bit of a dodgey port to get in and out of. Not to be attempted in bad weather obviously.

Jillybean

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Blue"]The decision would not have been made lightly...
As they have to pay for the berth to held for them,
by the port,
and that,
like some of our bookings as a passenger ,
is a non refundable deposit.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Australian family']This is so devasting for the passengers. 2 missed ports now. You really have to feel for them, but that is what can happen.[/QUOTE]
Sure can, in 2008 around OZ on Sun Princess we missed Geraldton, Exmouth and Cooktown, too rough for tenders. I feel for those on board, one of my mates Barry got off in Southampton, Dick and John are still on !

Looking at itinerary they have 6 sea days Dublin to Boston, time to have a few canned guinnesses instead of the draught stuff they would have had in Dublin..and do the washing.

How sad for them - I know it is hard when you miss a port but unfortunately it really is one thing you have to be prepared for when cruising (not that that would help too much!) One interesting/scary thought, we had been (well I still am:rolleyes:) trying to do Sydney to Dover and if we did were going to try and stay on until Dublin!!! I wonder if any passengers on this cruise had intended to disembark/embark here???? could cause a few headaches!!

[quote name='CassCruise']How sad for them - I know it is hard when you miss a port but unfortunately it really is one thing you have to be prepared for when cruising (not that that would help too much!) One interesting/scary thought, we had been (well I still am:rolleyes:) trying to do Sydney to Dover and if we did were going to try and stay on until Dublin!!! I wonder if any passengers on this cruise had intended to disembark/embark here???? could cause a few headaches!![/quote]

not sure how it work by adding days (really just need to speak to princess). on this cruise there were people getting on in dubai and disembarking in le harve instead of southampton. I know they had to pay for the whole sector and not discounted for the days not taken.

next year i guess if we missed dublin (dont even think it) you still have cobh to get off.... but you might have to pay for the whole sector of sydney - ft lauderdale..... as you would be taking a cabin that someone could have taken for that sector....if that makes sense

Archived