Changing Agents on Existing Booking

pgintct

I know that I can get an honest answer here so:

While I was on the Crown last week I booked a cruise on the Ruby for this October using a future cruise credit. The booking went to the agent who had booked my Crown trip. (First and only time I have used this agent.) Is it possible to now transfer the Ruby booking from that agent to a new agent?

Thank you for your help,

Paul

It is, but you will have to go through Princess and explain that you did not want your current agent used when you booked the FCC. They're supposed to ask you that, and perhaps they failed to do that.

Since it was such a recent booking, call up Princess and explain that they should have kept the booking themselves and ask them to correct it. Then, later on you can transfer it to a new agent when the time and price is right.

Actually, I think the TA owns the booking and if you want to change agents, you have to inform the first agent to transfer it to the second. If it's an open ended FCC, then you might be able to talk to Princess about it but I doubt it. Happy Sailing!

First agent will have to release the booking. One fax to second agent who will send it to Princess can take care of it.

Added Later: The price on your booking is the first agent's price. There may be a fee to release. Make sure the second agent's price is same or lower.

First agent may not be considered to own the booking in the normal sense because the OP did not go through the agent to make the booking, this was an FCC onboard booking....Princess assigned it to the agent because that agent booked the first cruise. You do not have to accept them as your future agent.

Actually, I think the TA owns the booking and if you want to change agents, you have to inform the first agent to transfer it to the second. If it's an open ended FCC, then you might be able to talk to Princess about it but I doubt it. Happy Sailing!

The passenger owns the booking and can send it anywhere he likes although the fare may not be the same. ;)

The OP needs to send a request to Princess saying that they don't want that TA to have the booking and to which one if any they want it to go to.

I know that I can get an honest answer here so:

While I was on the Crown last week I booked a cruise on the Ruby for this October using a future cruise credit. The booking went to the agent who had booked my Crown trip. (First and only time I have used this agent.) Is it possible to now transfer the Ruby booking from that agent to a new agent?

The bottom line is that yes, you can change agents. Contact your new agent and get a quote for the cruise. Then, if you've decided to definitely go with this agent, fax a letter to Princess and tell them you are switching your booking from Agent A to Agent B. Your new TA will give you the details about what to include, such as the agency's name, business address, booking #, etc.

Here's an example of an agency booking fax I used for a HAL cruise:

I, Pamela <last name>, authorize my agent, <new agent name>, <agent address>, <agent phone #>, to pick up booking # <booking #> from <old agent name>, <old agent address>, <old agent phone #>.

Thank you for your consideration.

Pamela <Last name>

<my address>

<my phone #>

Mariner # <HAL Mariner #>

Here's what my TA told me is needed:

· Letter head of the Travel agency releasing

· Letter from client requesting this release <see above>

· Letter head of TA accepting bookings

The passenger owns the booking and can send it anywhere he likes although the fare may not be the same. ;)

The OP needs to send a request to Princess saying that they don't want that TA to have the booking and to which one if any they want it to go to.

I guess 'owning' was a bad choice of words. But I do know that once a booking is assigned to a TA, Princess will not discuss it with you anymore. I don't know if it makes a difference that you booked a cruise while on a cruise, but I doubt it. I truly believe the traveler has to inform the old agent that they want the booking transferred to the new agent. Be sure the old agent doesn't charge a cancellation fee because they will charge you if they have one so the agent change may not be worth it. Happy Sailing~

I guess 'owning' was a bad choice of words. But I do know that once a booking is assigned to a TA, Princess will not discuss it with you anymore. I don't know if it makes a difference that you booked a cruise while on a cruise, but I doubt it. I truly believe the traveler has to inform the old agent that they want the booking transferred to the new agent. Be sure the old agent doesn't charge a cancellation fee because they will charge you if they have one so the agent change may not be worth it. Happy Sailing~

That would be a real bummer if Paul booked the future cruise on board, Princess transferred it to the current cruise TA, and then the TA would charge you a cancellation fee although they had absolutely nothing to do with the booking and did not contribute in any way to the booking. I think that one could make an agrument that Princess made a mistake transferring it to the TA if nothing was said verbally or in writing when booking on board.

Paul, let us know how it works out for you.

This is a good reminder to be careful when doing on board bookings.

Pam-in-ca has the proceedure 100% correct .:)

I got involved with transfering a booking several times as a TA (fortunatly always as the transfer to TA).

The tricky part is if the original TA refuses .

Then the only way is to cancel/rebook but that may void your Onboard Booking benefits.

However , a TA with a good contact at Princess , may be able to save that Onboard booking for you if he/she can explain why you are forced to cancel with the former TA. :rolleyes:

But first TA may charge a fee if it was mentioned in the TA contract.

On a related issue, when booking on board the Future Cruise Consultant has always discussed with us how to book the cruise -- Princess or a specific TA that we may have used for the current cruise or pending cruises.

The TA can't refuse, its up to the passenger.

That would be a real bummer if Paul booked the future cruise on board, Princess transferred it to the current cruise TA, and then the TA would charge you a cancellation fee although they had absolutely nothing to do with the booking and did not contribute in any way to the booking. I think that one could make an agrument that Princess made a mistake transferring it to the TA if nothing was said verbally or in writing when booking on board.

Paul, let us know how it works out for you.

What most people don't realize is that if you book a cruise while onboard a ship, it goes by default to the TA of record for the cruise you're on. You can always say you want it to be a Princess booking but a lot of people don't know that they can. It's not explained very well by a lot of the Future Cruise Consultants. Princess can't change the booking to a TA without your consent but the Consultant automatically makes the booking your TA's and often doesn't explain that you don't have to.

Sure the guest can easily cancel with the orig TA.

But to retain the booking w/ the Book Onboard benefits ,

the orig TA "must" release the booking .

· Letter head of the Travel agency releasing

Getting that TA to issue the above , can be dragged out as to never happen. Interventon by the client to the cruise line with concrete info as to why they must change TA's sometimes works.

Been there, done that.;)

And yes, the Onboard Booking Form you sign , does ask the question "do you wish to have this booking serviced by your current TA" (or words to that effect).

Okay........ So here is what happened.

I faxed the request to Princess. Princess then called the original agent informing them that I was making the change. Original agent called me and asked why. The main reason being this agent does not do air. Because of the cruises I have been doing and planning lately involve one ways and or open end international and domestic flights I explained that I needed an agent that could do it all for me. She called me back and suggested Princess EZ-Air......... Based on the fares I saw on there the flights were more than the cruise and at least twice what I was able to get elsewhere. I additionally explained to the original agent that if she and I spent any time researching and booking the cruise I would have never even considered changing agents. The truth is I did all of the research and booked it while aboard the ship.

All-in-all it went very well and is supposed to be transferred to the new agent tomorrow. Life sure is one big learning experience! Thank you all for your help and suggestions, I knew I was asking the right people!

Paul

:)

but have the receipt for the future cruise and then I can select who I want when I decide on the cruise. Most times I use my usual agent as her prices are the best I have found. You just can't be complacent as there are others out there who might offer a better deal.

Archived