What to wear in Steam room/Sauna

TnMama

This may sound silly.But I dont have easy acces to a steam room or sauna here. So I plan to at least visit once on my Carnival cruise. What do you wear in there? Surely not a robe,Id think that would smother you. Maybe a bathing suit?

Yes, swimming costume, bathing suit, bikini.

Guy I used to work with went into a steam room in France and came straight back out again... got into the pool with a strange look on his face, my colleague asked him what was wrong... they're all naked in there! he said.

I think Brits and other non Europeans tend to be a bit shyer and cover their bits up, but you're right, not with a robe..:)

Yes, swimming costume, bathing suit, bikini.

Guy I used to work with went into a steam room in France and came straight back out again... got into the pool with a strange look on his face, my colleague asked him what was wrong... they're all naked in there! he said.

I think Brits and other non Europeans tend to be a bit shyer and cover their bits up, but you're right, not with a robe..:)

I need to cover my large bits up for the sake of mankind itself. I dont need to be scaring ppl with my marshmallow esuqe skin and rolls,lol. So No bikini for me! Nice "old lady" looking swim suit yes.

{pardon my crudeness,I did not sleep not one wink last night,so Ive been up 24 hrs right now and have to go all day with 2 rowdy boys and half the neighborhood!}

Have never been on Carnival, but on RC, most of the people you will encounter in the sauna/steam room will just have a towel wrapped around them. I have seen a few in bathing suits, but majority wear only their towel!

Sherri:)

Towel ... not swimsuit for me.

And I slather my hair with conditioner & wrap it in a towel as well.

Ooohhhh! Nice tip! The salt, wind and sun always do a number on my hair. What a great way to self-treat!

( by the way, I will sometimes go topless in the sauna but always cover the "nether regions" with a bikini bottom and/or towel)

• 2 weeks later...
I always take advantage of the sauna for a free intensive hair conditioning as well! I buy a couple of trial packs of intensive treatment from Sallys and taa daa!

Great idea!!!! My hair takes a beating from the salt water. Totally going to do this in August. :D

My hair,though short,is colored,and so far the few times we've been swimming,its taken a beating. days to get back to normal shine. so I plan to do this too,but just with my conditioner I have in my travel bag...My cruise leaves 4 weeks from today,by way of weeks. 27 days...I can't wait!!!:D:p;):)

• 1 month later...

As A European, I would never wear anything in the sauna/steamroom. Any clothing reduces the effect of the sauna, absorbs sweat (yuk!!) and is irritabel to the skin.

Here in Belgium, we always go naked and (this will shock you shy Americans), it is MIXED. Same in Germany, Holland, Switzerland, Austria, Slovakia, Slovenia etc...:)

Only the Brits are too embarassed about their body and wear bathing-suits... Probably an Anglosaxon thing I guess...

As A European, I would never wear anything in the sauna/steamroom. Any clothing reduces the effect of the sauna, absorbs sweat (yuk!!) and is irritabel to the skin.

Here in Belgium, we always go naked and (this will shock you shy Americans), it is MIXED. Same in Germany, Holland, Switzerland, Austria, Slovakia, Slovenia etc...:)

Only the Brits are too embarassed about their body and wear bathing-suits... Probably an Anglosaxon thing I guess...

Everyone has a level of comfort with their bodies. No need to make fun of someone if they want their body to remain covered. It all depends on how you were brought up and the surrounding culture.

Yup - 'cause I'm American and will be naked everywhere permissible by law:p , it's not just a European thing (in US spas, I will use a towel to sit on but tend to go naked. If someone dares give me a nasty look, I might perhaps cover my genital region but unless there are posted signs saying "no nudity", I figure I'm playing by the rules as I've learned them and that person is being rude to me, so....) I've only once actually had someone give me a dirty look (in a spa in Las Vegas) and I've actually seen a couple women take off their suits and just use a towel when they've seen other women doing it.

Everyone has a level of comfort with their bodies. No need to make fun of someone if they want their body to remain covered. It all depends on how you were brought up and the surrounding culture.

I don't think they were making fun....I think they were just stating how things are over there...

I know when I was in Barcelona and took the train down the coast to Sitges, I was amazed at all the beach nudity all along the train route down the Med Sea...

Things are just looser when it comes to modesty over there....

If I could lose that extra 10-15 lbs, MAYBE....but until then, it'll be a swimsuit for me...

I love my body - extra weight and all - so I prefer not to hold off experiencing life unless it's "perfect". So roll your eyes at me all you want - I'm going nude in the sauna and topless on the beach (where it's legal, not to worry) and when I'm picking tomatoes in my garden too. As stated elsewhere, we all have different comfort levels with our bodies:D Swimsuits are so tight and constraining - all that lycra - in the heat & humidity? Yuck:p (my mom has been fighting to keep clothing on me since I was 6 months old;))

I have never used the spa on a cruise ship and this time I want to. I am sailing on the Carnival Glory.

If I use the sauna can I shower in the spa afterwards? If yes, do I bring my own towel or do they provide towels?

Has anyone done the teeth whitening they offer?

What things do you always do at the spa? I have no idea what is a good deal and what is not.

Thanks cruisers.

[i do not know about carnival specifically, but] Typically, the locker rooms where saunas are located are adjacent to the fitness rooms - which are free and open to all (adults). They have towels and showers available to use.

At spas (on cruise ships or elsewhere) I like to get a plain old Swedish massage, or something like a lime ginger scrub. On cruise ships I like to see what the port specials are and usually book those, depending on whether or not I have port plans.

Archived